Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Ulio posted:

Feeling a stealth game after playing some Ghost Recon Wildlands and doing the Sam Fischer/Splinter Cell mission. Ghost recon actually has some light stealth/tactical elements but it is only fun when you have a human teammate who can play stealth like you.

I was thinking maybe Tenchu, Splinter Cell or MGS. I have played a bit of MGS4 and Tenchu Z but never got far and from Splinter Cell I have only finished Double Agent.

Also I have played Hitman Blood Money and Deus Ex original + human revolution. Never played other stuff like Thief, Mark of the Ninja which have I heard are great in the genre.

The new Hitman game (which has been helpfully titled HITMAN) might appeal to you, though like Blood Money it's mostly disguise-based stealth. I would strongly recommend the Dishonored games if you don't mind some mild steampunk, and definitely play the first before the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

Looking for recommendations on games you can play with a single hand that are turn-based or not very fast.

My steam game list, but any recs are welcome: https://steamcommunity.com/id/fanaticalmilk/games/?tab=all

You own torchlight 1 and 2, both are perfectly playable with one hand if you go for a more passive build and don't crank the difficulty up.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Dessel posted:

We are a group of friends of 3+(1) which used to play some party games, very occasionally board games and some fighting games together or just shoot poo poo together. One of us has moved away a while ago. We're looking for a game to play together casually and shoot poo poo on Discord or equivalent at the same time.

Honestly a game with persistence wouldn't be a problem as long as it's still easy to play together. I could see Destiny 2 or similar "currently in-vogue triple A game" being a thing if we had the platforms for it, though I honestly have no idea how easily you can play together and if it makes any sense regardless of varying levels of progress.
Actual MMOs are a hard no though (I play ffxiv and lol the thought of playing it with friends in a social manner) Monster Hunter World could probably work with two or three of us, so that's already a soft lock-in.

I have a feeling that legit party games are not going to be a good fit online instead of something with a little more cooperation and persistence since everyone will sitting in front of their monitor/tv is a different experience from being physically in the same space.

Our problem is our platforms but I would definitely want to hear suggestions beyond our common platforms for the future.

- Everyone but I have a Switch
- One PS4
- Three moderately to decent powerful PCs capable of running triple A games decently and one aging laptop with a GPU

PC is obviously common but not powerful. Switch possibly in the future. If one is missing (be it me or the laptop guy, I don't mind).
|
v

Destiny 2 is currently being given away free on Battle.net, just need to claim before the 18th, but I think that's PC only.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Toast King posted:

Thanks for the good recommendations, Tacoma is at the top of my list as soon as I finish off these last couple of routes in Nier. I'd completely forgot about it since just before it launched, but it's definitely the type of game and setting that appeals to me. Going to take a look at GRIS some time too.

Completely missed the Dead Space hype back in the day, is that the kind of one where the first game is a good standalone? Don't now much about the sequels either.

Never tried a Zachtronics game just based on short descriptions, I didn't realise they ever had any kind of story so that could be interesting.

I'm actually really interested in the different David Cage games even with the wildly mixed opinions, but no PS4 (forgot to mention) so that rules out any of them and some other good recs like Shadow of the Colossus.

Portal and Portal 2 seem like they would fit your criteria as well, if you haven't played them yet.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

tildes posted:

I’m looking for a game like freelancer or mount and blade. Something where you putter around a mostly open world doing economic/military stuff and getting stronger. Controlling one unit is probably preferable, but down for squad ones as well. 2D vs 3D doesn’t really matter to me. Any suggestions would be great!

Things I’ve tried and dumped so far:
Freemen (the mount and blade with guns clone)
Starcom: Nexus

E: endless sky seems close, but a bit content lite maybe?

E2: Starsector is another good example of what I’m trying to describe here, though I’ve played that a bunch already.

If you liked freelancer then Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will probably be your thing.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

I’d be interested to hear everyone chime in on multiplayer ARPGs out there. It seems like there is a lot of love for Diablo 3, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn. Seemingly those are the big three to really look at despite their age.

Anyone got some thoughts on how to choose between them?

Torchlight 2 can be played multiplayer, probably good if you want something less complex and a little more lighthearted, but it's a lot of fun.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I genuinely don't know, as I was reading The Spy Who Came In From the Cold I was thinking that it'd be fun to play a game set in the cold war (or fictional equivalent) where you're a deputy area controller and have to run assets, set up dead drops, detect and undermine counterintelligence, bribe sources, etc. in a management style game. I was pretty surprised to find that it didn't really exist. Seems like the kind of thing Lucas Pope would make.

This is a bit left field, but what you're describing sounds a bit like the world-map portion of Evil Genius. You have to dispatch henchmen to conduct certain tasks, which takes them away from your lair, and the tasks can increase heat which leads to more enemy agents coming to your base. I guess the issue is that most of the game is about base management.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

sean10mm posted:

:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Mankind Divided

If you like the Deus Ex games then I think you'd probably like the Dishonored games.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
For me they both scratch the stealth game itch. They both have weapons and gadgets and powers. They both let me spend way too much time and effort trying to do no-kill ghost playthroughs, then come back and do a cathartic blow poo poo up playthrough.
Obviously the stories and settings are very different but I think they're both well done.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah the issue with playing a lot of games of a certain type is eventually you get through all the well-recommended ones. I've played most of those too honestly with a couple exceptions. Wasteland 2 is a game that interests me but as mentioned I'm not huge on post-apoc and I heard a lot of bad things about it too. Waiting to see how 3 is being received, might get that. I probably have to go for somewhat less mechanically similar games or just less well-known indies. I tried Wizardry 8 out but it felt about the prime example of how turn-based combat can hurt a game...there sure were a lot of combat encounters to slog through.

E: Also I've recently tried slogging through a lot of old games and anything recent enough that it doesn't require me to mess around with widescreen mods and compatibility settings for a resolution beyond 800x600 would be a blessing.

A bit left field but if you like turn-based RPG combat you might also like the new X-Com games? You get a good amount of flexibility in how you develop your squad, you just have to be prepared for some of them to die permanently.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is The Outer Worlds actually worth playing or not? I like talky RPGs with combat, I like sci-fi stuff - but I don't know anyone who's actually played it.

Nth-ing the meh on this. As someone who loved New Vegas and just wanted that in space Outer Worlds really disappointed. There's plenty of talking, but very little has any meaning or is interesting at all, and all the companions are basically store-brand Firefly characters.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Boz0r posted:

What are some cool VR games for an Oculus Rift S that an eight year old boy can play?

Superhot? It's violent but it's all very abstract violence, and the game itself is amazing and probably the best implementation of VR I've personally experienced.

Subnautica VR is good, especially the early areas which are quite chill.

Also beatsaber, but I think you might have to download song to have any good ones, the game shipped with a very limited selection.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

Dishonored was great[/list]

If you liked Dishonored then you'll probably like Dishonored 2, and if you do don't skip the Death of the Outsider expansion.

Seconding DX:MD too

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's basically more of the same. There's some minor refinements but they're not really straying from their lane.

Having recently jumped straight from BL2 to BL3 with some friends, the shooting in 3 is definitely tighter and more fun, there's more weapon variety, and traversal and map design are better I think. The writing somehow got worse though, which is a real achievement.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

How the gently caress did it manage to get worse after getting rid of loving Anthony Burch

Burch's vomit of monkey cheese sometimes had a good gag or two in it, and he usually kept things brief and moving so you could get back to shooting things. The writing in 3 is like a bad writer tried to write a serious plot, then remembered it was a BL game and went back and sprinkled in the monkey cheese. The cutscenes are way too long and way too boring. Doesn't help that the main villains are not "I hate them" annoying, but more "I'm genuinely thinking of just turning the game off" annoying.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Yeah, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is literally the game you're looking for.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I want a game that has a multiplayer/group/team/social aspect but that isn't about peak performance. I'm not looking to do like FFXIV savage raiding or like grindy competitive poo poo, but like I want like a casual social game. Does such a thing exist?

I'm not looking for something that would be crazy competitive or grindy. I'm not looking for something that's about shouting at people like Among Us. I want to find a game that's just "hey, come hang out with friends in Discord and play this video game."

Deep Rock Galactic or the Borderlands games are my go-to games for just hanging out with friends. Borderlands it helps to have a set group with characters that play through together but Deep Rock players of any level can just jump in with each other.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

5thMouseButton posted:

Android games?

Looking for something with tactics and planning, thoughtful, strategic.

No pay to advance, pay to not wait, pay for power, or pay for convenience. A proper mechanics focused game. Thanks!

For a Samsung Galaxy A21

I hear very good things about the Android port of X-Com.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

LLSix posted:

Looking for a co-op FPS. Preferably something that came out in the last five years. My all time favorite was Halo. I played Destiny for a bit, but the loot treadmill was too tedious.

I'm going to unironically recommend Borderlands 3. The shooting is a ton of fun. Just mute the cutscenes.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Filox posted:

Looking for open world games, maybe sandbox-y, the more open the better, lots and lots of stuff to do, I like to find games I can play into the ground. Genre isn't that important if the game is good but I would prefer stuff that's non-military or at least my character isn't in the military.

Hopefully old enough that the price has fallen, but not so old that it came from the Texture Graveyard where the ground/dirt looks like bad tie dye (like Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas, which I bought and never got into because my god they're ugly.) I'd rather play a 2D game than try to like a smudge texture nightmare.

I haven't played a lot of games throughout my life, so nearly everything is new to me. The games I have played into the ground are Sims 2 (hush, I had fun packing it with mods until everything broke then doing it again), Skyrim, Don't Starve, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 1 and 2 and ... that's about it. Yeah, I suck.

Witcher 3? It's dirt cheap these days

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

tuyop posted:

I've got an interesting situation:

My brother in law has some real bad PTSD and can't play games with guns and scary poo poo. We'd like to play PC games together anyway. I think he's interested in crafting games and things like that, and I think first-person games are preferred. I'm just kind of at a loss when thinking of what games might work for him though. Any ideas?

If stabbing a shark with a spear isn't too triggering, I would strongly recommend Raft. 1st person Co-op survival while you craft yourself a nice big raft.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Raft is a loving miserable grind for resources and food. Crafting tools takes so many resources and they wear out so quickly.. and the character needs to eat 10 times as much per day as they really should. I don't understand why that game is so highly rated; I guess the players mostly love masochism.

I think this ends up being a lot more bearable in coop where you can have more division of labor, but the game also has a weird difficulty curve where the basic survival elements get a lot easier once you've progressed a bunch. Like once you get the solar distiller and the plastic water bottle water availability becomes pretty trivial, but it's a pain in the first part. Ditto food once you plant the big plants and start catching big fish.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

What are good co-op games to play with pals while high as balls?

We've had a lot of fun with the halo master chief collection campaigns, it's a fun challenge but also if you're in multiplayer it's really easy to not actually lose so you can also gently caress around as much as you want/die 50 times in a row and still be making progress. Unfortunately there is 3 of us and 1 and 2 are 2 player coop only

We've tried left 4 dead 2, which is alright but I think we're looking for something a little different, and EDF5 which is fundamentally pretty cool but the gameplay is like, intentionally designed to be frustrating for at least one person at all times so we've drifted off of it pretty fast too.

PC would be ideal but ps4/switch local splitscreen would work too

Borderlands, at least 2 and 3, would work well. They're good shooters, not particularly hard, and if you get high enough you might enjoy the humor.

Seconding Deep Rock too, but I've found that does require some thought.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Tagra posted:

In the same vein, is there anything other than Dishonored that meets the criteria for a modern "Thief-like"? Like not stealth combat, just stealth exploration and sneaky sneaky stealy steals.

My favourite parts of the thief games were exploring houses, dodging guards, and finding shiny things. When it shifts to killing zombies it all goes downhill.

Have you tried the Hitman games? There's much more of a disguise element, as opposed to just sneaking, but I find they scratch the same itch.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Kalenden posted:

I'm looking for games with a good single player story campaign(s).

You might like the Dishonored series if you don't mind stealth games (though you don't actually need to be stealthy if you don't want to). One feature you might like is that you have an item called the heart which tells you where all the major upgrades are, so you don't need to comb every nook and cranny of the map unless you want to find every last gold coin or something.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Deep Rock Galactic has had a lot of buzz lately. It seems like a neat iteration on the whole Payday style co-op shooter.

Nth-ing Deep Rock, I haven't gotten my wife to play it, but it's been a blast with friends. Since you can decide the difficulty level for the missions, it's only as hectic as you want it to be, and with the mining and other support like the engineer's turret there's still plenty to do even if you're not the best shot.

Raft co-op is fun, but a bit stressful on the higher difficulties, at least in the beginning.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I don't know if there has to be a total win condition (like Terraria doesn't really have a "you won" win screen), but there needs to be game generated goals and progress (like Terraria bosses, improving equipment, stuff like that).

I'm basically just trying to say something super sandbox without much of a game generated goal, like Minecraft, probably wouldn't be good.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Torchlight 2 might be a good try, it's not grimdark like most ARPGs, and less hardcore as well, would be fun to play co-op.

Haven't played Valheim, but I hear great things.

If FPS controls are ok:

Raft - survival crafting with a campaign (that might not be done yet, still in early access) and a bit of combat, adjustable difficulty level.

Deep Rock Galactic - short-ish missions but with good variety and you get progression through character upgrades, adjustable difficulty level

Borderlands series - they're dumb but fun, the best chill co-op shooting experience I've found with a story rather than missions.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

poisonpill posted:

I'm looking for a fun co-op game for some friends and I to play. We live all over and we've been doing online about once a week since lockdown began, and we're basically using it as an excuse to chat, catch up, whatever, very low stress. So I'd like some more recommendations, anything that's engaging enough to be something to do, but not so distracting that you can't talk over it. Things that have been pretty good have been Borderlands, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Vermintide, so games in that vein are probably good, but a strategy or RPG or something would totally work too, as long as it's going to be playable by a couple of people who can talk over voip while they play.

Definitely try Deep Rock Galactic.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

What is the general concensus on the best Freelancer/Privateer type game these days? And which ones offer the best ship customization?

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is the first thing that comes to mind, it's got a decent amount of ship customization as far as weapons and ship systems. It also has an entire 3-d ship painting software within it, if that's the kind of customization you mean.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Basticle posted:

Is there a good co-op FPS around right now? Over the years my friends and I have played the poo poo out of L4D, Payday, Killing Floor, Deep Rock Galactic, even Unloved.

Back 4 Blood sounds like it has lots of issues (and literally none of my friends are willing to buy it). None of us are interested in the setting/themes of Vermintide. We all tried the beta of GTFO and were underwhelmed.

The Anacrusis looks cool but who tf knows what that'll actually be out.

Have you tried the borderlands series? It's not mission based like the others you mentioned, but I've had a lot of fun running through them with friends.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Galick posted:

So I'm in the mood for some factory/production thing but not as the main purpose of the game. My best comparison is using Rimworld Vanilla Expanded to make a factory that I have to keep fed while also managing my colonists and defending it, etc. I have no interest in Factorio at the moment or in Factory Town. Any recommendations? This is kind of frustratingly vague, I know.

Maybe something like Banished, Tropico, or the Anno games? They don't involve a single factory but do involve setting up supply chains that are critical to your survival.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

some bust on that guy posted:

Thanks so much everyone. Will definitely get Hollow Knight and Celeste and look into the others. Ooh, Hat in Time. I remember wanting to try that after I heard the Clocktowers beneath the Sea music

Witcher 3 is on switch now if you haven't played it, and I would definitely classify it as memorable and has great music.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
If they just want to run around an open world smacking things then would the Shadow of Mordor or AssCreed games be better?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Torquemada posted:

For The King, We Need To Go Deeper and Deep Rock Galactic seem like possibles, thank you all. Unrailed seems a bit stressy for one of us.

Strongly recommend Deep Rock if you're worried about things getting stressy, since you can set the difficulty of your missions.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Bognar posted:

Was I playing Deep Rock Galactic wrong? I see it recommended a lot but it didn't seem like it was for me. I played with a few of my buddies and once we did a few missions it didn't seem like the core loop of the game was going to change much or become more interesting. All the character progression also seemed like minor upgrades and not stuff that will significantly change the way the game is played (but obviously we didn't play far enough to find out).

For me there are a bunch of things that keep the game fresh:

-The proc-gen levels, which means you always have to be thinking about traversal and can't just sleep walk through a level you've seen a million times. I think the devs have said that by far the most lethal enemy in the game based on damage done is gravity, and that tracks with my experience.
-The variety in mission objectives, combined with various modifiers and special events, as well as the variety in enemy design. There's more of these at higher difficulties, and the game can get pretty hectic in interesting ways.
-The classes all play differently, and each has enough weapon variety to mix it up even more. Combine that with overclocks and you can keep messing with things or find a setup that really clicks for you.

That being said, I value it as something I can just jump in and play for an hour with pubbies here or there, or maybe a few hours with friends. If you're looking for a game that you can play for MMO-level of time then it might get a bit stale.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Time for yet another weird, abstract itch I've had. I can't tell if this is my usual overly-pontificating bullshit or just something tangible that I lack a singular, concrete way to describe it. What I'm looking for are games that capture a specific sublime sensation. My go-to word for it is "evocative" but you could also describe it less pretentiously as "personality" or "flavor" or even just "cool" but really I find none of these words exactly match what I mean because it's a greater gestalt of theme and style.

To actually describe it, it's when a game exactly nails a concept. It translates something perfectly not merely using its mechanics but also its flavor, a full-spectrum of the gameplay being fun just as much as the visual design (even through something as minor and underrated as iconography) in a way that's memorable and clever. It's almost like in Portal 2, the Part Where He Kills You, where every last element of the scene is working in service of the joke and reinforcing it. Except instead it's about fully embodying a concept or character, however abstract or fantastical.

This isn't merely "games where you can do a cool move and the bad guy's head pops off" or "this ability lets you blow up an entire city block like an angry god" it's more all-encompassing than that. It's a fire elemental class who can use fire spells, the fire spells sound interesting and full of potential just from the names and descriptions on a menu or an icon on a skill tree, either/both/all dripping with flavor, using them feels good and looks cool, and then it turns out each one feeds into the next somehow. (And gently caress it, I dunno, Dan Forden pops in from the side of the screen and goes "Toasty!" when you get a multi-kill.) Just huge amounts of synergy in every possible sense that fully sells the idea.

Some various genres and how they slot into this concept in my head:

- Fighting games are often a strong example, with the unfortunate problem being that I usually don't like playing them. :sweatdrop: Pick a character from something like Skullgirls and you'll see the kind of thing I mean though. Off the top my head, there's also Guilty Gear's Venom with the whole billiards gimmick. But really most anime fighters revel in their increasingly over the top yet thought out character designs.
- Weirdly I find character action games ala Devil May Cry to not quite fit despite what you might otherwise think. The latter DMCs have a little of it, but they run on a more general Rule of Cool with sprinkled-in bits of inspired ideas (Nero's revving sword, lots of V's schitck in 5).
- Musous on the other hand are lousy with this kind of thing. As are other games based on shonen animes, where every character has their own Thing which gets translated into a whole moveset.
- MOBAs are another easy example. Characters with predefined kits, with an assumed gameplay loop, usually tied up in a specific theme or style.
- ARPGs, despite having a dazzling array of abilities and unique effects, often bury them under all of the mathematical precision and statistical porn. It's not merely about having lots of choices to pick from or abilities that are numerically strong. As a very, very specific example Diablo 3 had the Crusader, which had a mobility skill that had them hop on a warhorse and ride off, and then as an augment to that skill it would grab a couple of enemies and drag them behind you. Memorable and funny, but also ineffectual and not even remotely the cornerstone of a build or the class in general. Instead those were things like "press this button to get 300% armor for 30 seconds". Overall, lighter hack 'n' slashes in the vein of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are a much better match.
- In a similar vein, there's plenty of open world games with RPG elements that I think have glimpses of it (like say, Prototype or Infamous), while in contrast more niche RPG hybrid games like immersive sims are more hit or miss. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines puts in a decent effort with the different clans and how they're expressed. You can also make the argument that something like the Arkham games or the newer Spiderman with how they "make you feel just like" those characters apply, but immersion isn't strictly the goal here.
- Card games often use this as their bread and butter, since they need to communicate ideas within the boundaries of a tiny little piece of cardboard (or virtual cardboard) and a grab-bag of game mechanics. I'm sure there's countless examples of Magic the Gathering cards that nail this, while I'm rather fond of Ascension for the same thing. Slay the Spire isn't chockablock with it, but it's definitely there as well.

And to be clear, this isn't just a long-winded way of saying I want class-based games, it's just that class-based games trade in this sort of thing because they need to distinguish one class from another, so theming ends up being a big factor. You could readily argue for something like Thief or even something more loosey goosey like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Part of why it's hard to pin down is that even a lot of the games I love that do have it, don't have it universally element. My beloved City of Heroes has near limitless variety and lots of fun abilities, but most of the time I find myself injecting the bulk of the personality via extensive customization. I've been playing a lot of EDF lately and that has really distinct classes, but at the end of the day all four of them share many of the same kind of options - an assault rifle, two handheld miniguns, a rapid-fire energy weapon, and vehicles with turrets are all technically different but can all still be summed up as "cool machine gun to shoot at giant bugs".

I think a common problem is that games tend to have very rigid mechanical baselines. So like with fighting games, especially crappier/older ones, the special moves are special, sure, but then they might phone in the normals. RPGs often adhere to a strict sense of progression; you don't find giant elder god Pokemon in the grass outside the starting town. And even when it comes to reality-warping elder god Pokemon, they're never going to have more than four moves or some other wild twist on the core gameplay.

To end with a very nutshell example: Doom Eternal's Super Shotgun. For starters, it's the super shotgun, already a very kinaesthetically pleasing weapon right from the get-go. But for Eternal they added a grappling hook to it that lets you attach yourself to demons and reel yourself into optimal super shotgun range. But on top of that, the grappling hook gets an upgrade that makes it set enemies on fire, which by the fundamental laws of Doom Eternal causes enemies to practically sweat armor drops and produce even more if they die while burning. Armor drops that are the perfect sort of boost you might want if you just zipped yourself into close range with a demon. Each element builds and feeds into this perfect little loop.

Usually I'm worried that I've failed to get my point across, but this time I'm more worried somebody is going to swoop and effortlessly summarize everything I just said in three words or less and I'll feel the fool. :v:

If you don't mind your game having a bunch of story attached, you might like Cyberpunk 2077. Between skills, cyberware, and weapons there's quite a bit of variety in the way you can build your character, but they all make sense thematically. You can shoot people in slowmo, you can make a super fast dodgy character and slice people up in melee, you can be really stealthy and use takedowns and thrown knives and silenced weapons, or you can be a hacker and hack people through security cams and have everyone be dead before you even enter the building.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for thoughts on multiplayer exploration/survival games that are good for just co-op. Something fun for my wife and I to do.

We have gone back to Minecraft a few times, but that's a bit too bare bones. We've played Satisfactory a decent amount, but at this point we are just waiting for the game to be out of early access. With that game, I often focused on base building while she focused on exploration.

The exploration aspect is very important. If the game doesn't have a rewarding exploration component, then it's not that interesting.

Overall - we don't want something in early access. Early access is cool for some people, but both of us just prefer the "completed" experience.

But yeah, looking for games that can be good co-op with just the two of us. Not looking to have other players around.

The Raft? Valheim? Sea of Thieves? Pros/cons on these? Any others?

Valheim sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I'm looking for something to scratch the "open-world RPG/immersive sim with a decent story" itch. Things I have played and enjoyed:

-The Witcher games and Cyberpunk 2077
-Mass Effect 1 & 2 (3 and Andromeda looked bad)
-The Dishonored games
-The recent Deus Ex games
-Neverwinter nights 1
-Dragon Age Origins (2 looked bad, Inquisition is a possibility?)
-rear end Creed 2
-Fallout New Vegas (I've tried 4 and got bored halfway through, and I've played The Outer Worlds, which was okay)
-Alpha Protocol
-Disco Elysium

I'm currently playing Pillars of Eternity, and while it ticks a lot of boxes I'm finding the combat straight up tedious, even on easy difficulty, I just can't be bothered to deal with all the different classes and managing all their abilities, I think the large party based RPGs aren't my thing. I know I could drop the difficulty to story mode but that would seem to be missing the point. Seems like this would rule out PoE 2 and the Divinity games. (Played Arcanum back in the day)

I've tried several ARPGs but couldn't really get into them. Torchlight 1&2 made for good podcast-listening games with passive builds, but Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn didn't click.

Current possibilities:

-One of the newer rear end Creed games? Heard good things about Black Flag and Odyssey
-Dragon Age Inquisition?
-Kingdom Come Deliverance? (Got this for free on Epic so no investment needed to check it out)

I'm not attached to any particular format, genre, or setting, hopefully this gives people some idea of the vibe I'm looking for.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks for all the recommendations, will check em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Looks like you need uplay even if you buy the rear end Creed games on steam, is that a big pain?