Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've got a hankering for a low-pressure wilderness exploration game. With resource collection if possible. I guess kindof like No Man's Sky but less bad, and not necessarily involving space travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah Long Dark is almost exactly what I want, but I'm waiting for when Episode 3 comes out because they're going to patch in some improvements to the first two episodes. 7DTD and The Forest are also in early access. There's a bunch of early access wilderness survival games actually...

I do typically enjoy Minecraft for this kind of thing but the combat kinda sucks and the modpacks available nowadays are a bit lackluster as well.
I've played Terraria to death already.

I think I'll give Creativerse a shot!

edit: holy crap please tell me the combat gets better than just standing there and holding left-click. That is WORSE than minecraft.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 9, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Malek posted:

So I'm looking for something else to get into since I'm just doing the occasional MMO thing with the girlfriend and I have a ... well.. ungodly amount of items.

So if anyone has any good suggestions for what I haven't played yet, I'm very curious to hear them.

Here's the list

Dear god, man. This nearly crashed my browser.
Okay, looking at games you never played, these are my recommendations. I really like puzzle games and metroidvanias so I might be a bit biased towards those.

TOP PICKS
Undertale (seriously play this drat game)
Portal (how have you not played this)
Planescape: Torment (maybe you played this already, before it got on steam?)
Ori and the Blind Forest
Stephen's Sausage Roll (warning: very difficult)
Hollow Knight
FLY'N (warning: gets difficult near the end)
SpaceChem (at the bottom only because some people didn't like the boss battles. I liked them!)

GREAT GAMES in alphabetical order
Antichamber
Aquaria
Axiom Verge
Braid
Closure
Environmental Station Alpha
Escape Goat 2
Infinifactory
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Slime Rancher
Snakebird (warning: very difficult, shorter than Stephen's Sausage Roll but more likely to stump you)
The Bridge
The Swapper
Thomas Was Alone
VVVVVV

GOOD GAMES or great games you might not like maybe, or games I haven't played but hear are really good
Arx Fatalis
Bioshock
Divide by Sheep
Hexcells
Hyper Light Drifter
La-Mulana
NiGHTS
Nihilumbra
Papers, Please
Shovel Knight
SUPERHOT
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

Ungodly amount of free time? Factorio will solve that.

e: Oh "items" not "time" woops, but still

He doesn't own that though!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ico is definitely very low key and atmospheric, similar to how SotC is, but without as many boss battles-- instead you get some normal encounters against shadow monsters that try to steal your waifu. I remember there being at least one "boss" battle, but it has a very basic combat system so don't expect to get excited about the combat.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

cool new Metroid game posted:

here's a bit of a weird one but are there any games about climbing things on PC? (or I guess 3ds at a stretch)

I like climbing things in video games. climbing poo poo in asscree or the saboteur was cool. trying to jump climb up crap in dumb f2p mmos back in the day was also pretty sweet. I played some of that zelda game on my bros switch recently and I liked climbing things in that too. oh yeah using lams in deus ex to climb everything was loving lol and good. I think maybe a mountain climbing game would be extremely my poo poo but I don't think such a thing exists.

Grow Home and Grow Up? Also yeah Getting Over It is essentially about climbing, but it's also intentionally infuriating.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Been really busy lately and too tired to game at night, but I still need to get some sort of gaming fix. As such, I'm looking for a game that I can play on PC in 15-20 minute sessions where I can feel like I'm making progress each time that I play, but isn't so complex or in-depth that I'm going to forget what I was doing if I can't play it for a few days. Bonus points if I can play it in windowed mode and/or M+KB.

I feel like this maps closest to a roguelike, I would be down with one of those but other genres are cool too. Maybe Dungeonmans? I've had it in my Steam library for a while but have yet to play it.

Do you like math? Do you REALLY like math?

Hydra Slayer is simple enough that you don't need to keep any knowledge between play sessions. It's a math-based roguelike.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is there any other game like Environmental Station Alpha where after you complete the main storyline there's a bunch of extra, hidden content you have to access via solving riddles and finding secret rooms?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

numerrik posted:

Fez, la mulana and frog fractions would give you a decent variety of things in that vein

Played all those.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devonaut posted:

The Witness? How do you feel about puzzle games?

I loving love puzzle games. Maybe I'm being picky but what I was really looking for is some possibly-meta puzzle poo poo in a game that wasn't designed around puzzles. I loved the sense of mystery, of uncovering something like a back door into part of the game fundamentally different from the rest of it.

Also I thought The Witness didn't have anything you needed to take notes for? Also isn't it a bit insufferable?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Stanfield posted:

I used to love playing the Knytt games years ago and was wondering if there's any similar chill platformers that are mainly focused on exploring Like a Metroidvania without the combat I guess? I loved Celeste and it's kinda what i'm looking for aesthetically, and I enjoyed looking for the collectables, but the platforming itself was too hard to be relaxing.

Hiiro? Lunnye Devitsy is essentially a Knytt Stories map. Saira is another similar game. I feel like you're going to have a hard time finding exploration-platformer games that have a similar aesthetic to Celeste.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devonaut posted:

Given what you've said here I think you'd enjoy The Witness, but I don't want to say anything more specific than that. I'd strongly encourage you to play spoiler free since you only get one chance to do it.

You should also give Antichamber a look.

I enjoyed Antichamber and was disappointed that the pink cubes didn't lead to anything and there was that one area past Falling Forward that was obviously unfinished.

Looks like I'll wind up playing The Witness after all.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Brainamp posted:

Another puzzle game, but Talos Principle

Oh yep! Beat that one too.

I will take any high quality puzzle game recommendations as well. I think I've played most if not all of the big names like Snakebird, Steve's Sausage Roll, Good Snowman, both Talos Principle games, all the Zachtronics games, Recursed...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The Witness was pretty good, despite only being a little bit less pretentious than I expected. I didn't wind up taking many real notes, mostly just worked out puzzles on paper for the most part. That was satisfying too though.

Anyone got a recommendation for a game where I need to take notes or otherwise use a notepad? I wouldn't mind playing an old game for this, even.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Rain World has well, rain. But as far as I know if you "see" the rain you're already dead? Only played some of the tutorial, really should get back to it but I'm more into turn-based stuff at the moment.

Well, if you're very near a shelter that you can get to without exposing yourself directly to the rain, you can still survive. The shelters never lock you out, only in.

Rain World is good if you like slowly learning the ins and outs of a game's movement system and enemy mechanics while dying repeatedly. I actually recommend spoiling yourself on the movement system though, as it's more fun if you can move around a little faster. Rain World is also good if you like games that hide the lore from you, because boy howdy does Rain World like hiding its lore. You have to get through half the game before you find someone friendly who can talk to you, and then most of the lore discoveries come through that single person. Just note that if you play as Monk you can't access some of the game's lore.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

been having some crummy wrist pains in my left hand. any recommendations on good games that i only need my mouse to play? ideally ones that don't require insane movement that will also gently caress up my right wrist

GOROGOA

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Can anyone recommend some good co-op games to stream with a friend? That means either little downtime or toys to mess around with when nothing's happening.

We've been playing Warframe lately, and are going to play WoW when the expansion comes out. We've considered Stardew Valley and Sea of Thieves.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Fallen London has paywalls in it, in places you probably wouldn't expect. Like, in a couple places you have to pay just to see a story. Doesn't give you any other advantage.

KoL has paywalls in that the store items sometimes have entire areas they unlock, but you can buy those from other players (for millions of meat).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I found out that the last boss in MHW can corrupt your save so uh I think I'll wait on that purchase.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

So my wife is due with our 3rd in about two weeks. I will need to play some fun PC games where I can:

1) Play easily using only the mouse
2) Pause frequently and resume
3) Play without frequent and horrific blood curdling screams or discernible scenes of blood / gore

I already have a couple of decent options with Frostpunk and Grim Dawn. There any other chill games I can play during my paternity leave?

Creeper world 3? There are a few useful keyboard commands but I'm pretty sure you only need the mouse.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Seconding the recommendation of DROD. I like the first two (AE and JtRH) the best for their purity of design, but the later ones are pretty good too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Afriscipio posted:

If you like sexism, you'll like Deponia.

Since you didn't elaborate, it just kinda looks like you're calling Confetti sexist for recommending it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mayveena posted:

I thought Sea of Thieves was PVP mandatory? If not I'm a lot more interested in it.

Other players will try to steal your poo poo, but most will ignore you if you're using the smallest boat. That's a 2-man vessel.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

pun pundit posted:

How is this different from any early access game on steam?

The difference is you're trying to fix it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

chairface posted:

My fave sci-fi game where being a computer controlling things is the conceit was good old Suspended

You're basically a brain-in-a-jar but have robots that can do poo poo for you to accomplish goals. The robots have issues resulting from the same disaster you're trying to use them to fix, of course, so that complicates matters further. Iris, the only robot you have that can see, for example, starts out blind.

This looks really difficult to play without the feelies.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

As someone who just got started on Opus Magnum, I'd recommend that as the most accessible Zachtronics game (maybe excepting Infinifactory). It's not out and out programming, but just like Space Chem it's testing a lot of the same problem solving skills. Unlike Space Chem, I find the instruction timeline to be much easier to work with and the difficulty curve feels smoother. An added bonus is that it's also prettier.

Agreed, Opus Magnum is definitely the easiest Zachtronics game to beat. The playing area is infinite and there are no requirements on how fast/cheap/small your machine needs to be, which means you can basically brute force everything.

There are levels after the ending that restrict the playing area, which definitely cannot be brute-forced.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nalesh posted:

So I've been craving some tower defense lately, but I've grown tired of the basic TD experience from like, wc3/sc2, what are some fun TD's that actually bring something interesting to the table like Sanctum, Orcs Must Die, and Dungeon Defenders? Massive bonus points if it's online coop.

Plants vs Zombies.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

chairface posted:

Rogue Legacy

All offline/kid friendly.

I do not agree with this. Besides being a rather violent game, one of the unlockable upgrades is "Beastiality" which lets you get dragon traits sometimes in new characters. Explain THAT to your kids.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm wondering if there are any modern games like World of Xeen? As in, a turn-based dungeon crawling RPG with multiple towns and quests and a fully fleshed out world with cool dungeons and puzzles and whatnot. The Etrian Odyssey games are close but lack that open world feel(also not really puzzley). I tried Wizardry 8 but it's mostly just walking around and fighting things, with half the zones being boring outdoor areas. The balance is pretty awful in Wiz8 too, with crowd control abilities being so overpowered and enemy casters being too fast to counter.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

:confused: Ori is one of the few games I outright ragequit due to difficulty, which not just extreme but, in places, blatantly unfair (like the escape from the water tree, which is the point where I actually punted the game).

Sadly, the rubberbanding on escape sequences is too sensitive and if you so much as jump at the wrong time the death plane surges forward and you won't have enough time to reach a safe spot. It comes down to finding the correct route through and following it without screwing up any jumps. You can safely linger while moving horizontally or standing still, but improper or slow vertical movement is what kills you.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I see you have both SteamWorld Digs, so if you want some side-view X-COM action in that universe you can't go wrong with SteamWorld Heist. You do need to do some manual targeting but as I understand it it's got controller support.

I disagree with this recommendation. The main problem with the game is that cover is sparse and unreliable. Most floors can be shot through and cover doesn't protect you from the top so enemies can easily flank you by being at a 45 degree angle to you.
Second problem, ricochets are far less useful than the trailers suggest. It's basically impossible to ricochet on purpose at all unless you're using the weapon type designed for it, and half of those weapons don't let you shoot after moving. On top of that, most ceilings and walls are not at useful angles.
Third problem, the balance is complete garbage. It's got an alert level system except it's way too short- you will never finish a mission before enemies start swarming in. This means you are basically required to clear the field every round, and the game knows this so most enemies can be killed in one shot when you're using appropriate gear. Unfortunately the game knows THAT too so it throws lots of them at you. During boss battles. Where the bosses have like 50x the hp of a normal enemy. That's enemy balance. Party member balance is pretty bad too, with some characters being obviously overpowered and others being kindof useless.

I think the only tolerable way to play this is to just put the difficulty at easy and treat it like a casual game.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 30, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's weird, I don't remember this happening. What difficulty were you on? I played on Experienced (ie the third of five). As for the ricochets I didn't really bother going for those, just went for headshots.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm with Zanzibar Ham here - I also didn't have a problem with that happening, and I was playing on Experienced.

With what happening? The bosses summoning enemies? I was playing on Veteran, the fourth difficulty, which supposedly only increases enemy health and damage.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 30, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

With the game throwing a ton of enemies during boss battles. I remember it throwing enemies when I was escaping a ship though.

Every boss I've fought has summoned waves of reinforcements while I fought them. The QUEEN is the worst about this, summoning several other full bosses alongside the waves of trash. That's where I quit. It was an endurance fight in a game with few sources of healing and lovely cover. I got her health halfway down on my best attempt.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 30, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's really strange. I guess I'll retract my rec for now at least until I replay it since I got DLC for it a long while ago but never got to it.

Well I mean, one of the bosses only does 1 damage per attack so without reinforcements it'd be a joke fight? Unless the devs released a patch that completely changed the boss encounters I don't see how you could've missed it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I was more referring to the waves being huge and having to destroy them completely every round to not get swarmed to death.

Oh, no, the usual reinforcements in regular missions aren't that big, but arrive every 2 rounds iirc so if you don't take them out immediately you either start getting shot at (which is bad, characters can take 2 hits at most before dying to the next shot and medpacks are single use) or you slow down allowing bigger, actually threatening reinforcements to start coming out. Maybe slowing down is less of an issue on Experienced.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 30, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nalesh posted:

While in PoE, poo poo like this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWyV0kIp5n4

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3DhXSmFPYo
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oH1EGfYoqI

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
PoE is a game that you generally want to play more than once, since each time a new league comes out it's got a good amount of new content to run through.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Creativerse? It's kinda like vanilla Minecraft, but better, and free.

After a while of playing this I found the default inventory to be frustratingly small due to all the trash that you constantly pick up. Of course, of course, there's a microtransaction to get a bigger inventory.
Aside from that, the crafting table mechanics are a bit odd compared to minecraft, and mining ore involves placing down a block which takes some time to extract it. I think you're intended to make multiple ore extractors but by that time I'd decided to stop playing.

It's probably okay to play without spending money if you're good with inventory management.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gonna re-recommend SteamWorld Heist, with I guess the caveat that difficulties above Experienced might be too hard? As is I have had missions go bad, but my first attempt this run on the Queen went well, and that was with using all my lowest level crew-members (besides Piper cause she's the captain).

Also the gripe about the ricochet's uselessness got me to experiment with'em, and I've managed some nifty trick shots with scoped weapons.

What approach did you use in the Queen fight? Did you try to focus fire on the queen or did you take out the reinforcements first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

User0015 posted:

I'm looking for a game that leans heavily on the "Build a base to survive the elements and/or against hostile forces."

Don't Starve is probably my primary example, but I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into it, and I'm looking for something that has a bit more "base building" in that mix. I've already tried ARK, but the dinosaurs theme didn't really grab me, and it runs like trash. I've also tried games like Terraria/Starbound, but I'm looking for a little more gameplay around the base building being necessary for survival aspect. I tried Rimworld as well, but it just felt to punishingly arbitrary and random for my liking.

One person recommended The Forest, which looks like ARK but weird flesh monsters instead of dinos, but that game doesn't seem to have a lot of survival aspects to it (I don't actually know, just guessing).

Subnautica is similar to Don't Starve in that way, but nothing ever directly attacks your base.