Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I'm no expert but a 4 year old Accent with 50k miles for $8500 does not seem like a good deal even in good condition. I remember I owned a 2 year old Fiesta with fewer miles that was worth way less than that.

I don't know where you are, but here along the front range that's a pretty good deal. The pickings are slim on anything with under 150k miles in that price range. Well, that I'm even remotely interested in anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah the Prius sounds like a way better deal and will hold it's value a lot better if you decide to sell it for whatever reason

That being said, driving a hybrid is boring and a little hatchback with a 6 speed would be a good deal more fun to drive

The manual and the thing where I don't ever have to worry about batteries, brake actuators, etc... are what made me look at it. I'm still all over the place even though I've kind of maybe narrowed down a little.

A 3rd gen just popped up at a local hybrid shop that might be interesting. It has 30k more miles but is also 4 years newer and I'd imagine this place went over it pretty well. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money over the 2nd gen I drove even though it's going to be a bit nicer inside and probably handle snow a little better.

3rd gen

2nd gen

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude the prius is absurdly reliable. if you don't like it don't get it, but the batteries / brake actuator are like the two conceivable problems and it doesn't appear that you're worried about say, having to rebuild the transmission on the accent.

it's also not going to be meaningfully more fun to drive an Accent on I-70 across Eastern colorado and Kansas versus a Prius

The prius is still my leader, just trying to look around. They're actually big on that on the prius forums I've looked at, especially when looking at older cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

The 2011 model is the V trim, maximum technology and gizmos available. I think it might be a better buy for you. Both of those cars at near bottom of devaluation curve anyway. You'll drive it for 3 years and seel it private party for $4500 if not more.

It has been in an accident. Seems to drive fine though

e: total loss but not a salvage title lol

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 11, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm not surprised given the price, but please loving advertise that. That's not a "clean" title. I don't feel like they were shady about it once I was there and he immediately said it had been in an accident but I wouldn't have wasted the time if I'd known its actual condition.

I'll give the guy credit for making me want a 3rd gen a little more though. Probably not enough to justify the price difference but it would absolutely handle the mountains better.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just drove a 3rd gen Prius that hadn't been in a total loss accident. It was much quieter inside. Weird. This one was a fresh trade in that definitely needed some things so it's off the table. The 3rd gen would be better for me but I can't stop thinking about the 2nd gen I drove. All the 3rd gens in the price range I'm most comfortable with are super high mileage and/or pretty ratty. I just don't think the value is there for what I want.

e: just drove this one. It's in better overall shape than the other 2nd gen I drove and cheaper. It'll need tires before that one which kind of offsets the cost but it won't need them tomorrow or anything. I think I might pull the trigger on it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 13, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I bought a thing today

It's a 2007 with 99k miles. The HID's flicker which is a known thing and I have a new pair on the way and then I'll probably do an LED swap once it starts again. I have a post purchase inspection set up for next week just to see if it needs anything. When I picked it up they said they had something like 10 people waiting in case I backed out. I'm not surprised and I'm glad I was able to drive it a couple hours after they posted the ad.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

As an aside, belongings in a stolen car could typically be covered by your home or renters insurance, as those policies provide worldwide personal property coverage. That said, home/renters policies are generally more sensitive to claims history than auto insurance (in terms of being non-renewed or declined new coverage later), so you typically want to save that for larger issues, like home robberies or fires.

I love how insurance in all situations will penalize you for using it. The roof on my house had hail damage and needed to be replaced and I just ended up paying out of pocket because the deductible was so high that I would have only saved like $500 and it would have been a strike on my record.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

Is there a big difference in terms of safety features like lane assist and bling spot monitoring between different years? Like will a 2017 model have substantially worse tech on that front than 2021 models?

If they're different generations, most likely. Same generation is less likely unless there was a big refresh.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

RWD with snow tires is absolutely perfectly safe.

Fun as hell too. I regret not putting my winters on for a couple days worth of snow on the roads last week :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I know the car comes in awd but the main appeal of the car is rwd fun.

I guess I could just buy a beater and toss snows on it.

My only concern in my M3 is snow that's too deep. Like 8" unplowed on the road that no one else has forged a path through. That and getting stopped on either side of the Eisenhower tunnel in a nasty storm and then having to try and go again in the new deep snow. Good winter tires make all the difference.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I'm actually pretty surprised it's not. Anything relatively modern with most directions of airbag deployment is like minimum of windshield/dash/front seats/A and B pillar trim plus all those bags, plus seatbelt pre-tensioners as well as replacement of all seatbelts that were occupied. Forget the damage that caused the deployment to happen, just they deployment is enough to total most things.

That was over $17k in damage. Drivers side airbags deployed. No frame damage or anything. The car was less than a month old so they didn't total it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

I'm pretty sure a 5000 prius will sell for the same amount few months down the road, as long as you buy private party

Yup. Your only real concerns are the battery and brake actuator. My brake actuator is going out and it'll be around $1500 to have it replaced. I don't care though as I'm not planning on selling the car any time soon.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My Prius is fine. It or the RAV4 Hybrid are probably the perfect vehicle for like 70% of the country at minimum.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm always amazed by the amount of people that buy a vehicle for the once or twice a year max thing they might need it for instead of just buying something way more sensible and getting a rental when they need it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DTaeKim posted:

I had actually just wanted a large SUV that could fit five passengers since my compact car wasn't capable of that anymore. My MIL insisted on a third row SUV "just-in-case." We then started looking into those before this thread talked sense back into me.

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to directly target you here as this is just a super common thing in the US.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DangerousSmells posted:

For sure, I just don't have anywhere to store snow tires in the off season.

I’m probably going to run my snows all year on my Prius. They’ll obviously wear faster but I don’t need another set of wheels laying around. It’s super common for people to do that here in Colorado. I hear studded tires probably weekly all year long too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Just be aware of that snow tires will wear out in like 10,000 miles, while economy tires can go 60k and then some

They can last way longer than that now. They've done a lot with the compounds over the past few years. They're obviously going to wear way faster than all seasons but a ton of people here run them year round.

The real worry with something like a second gen prius that you pick up for $5k is that you can easily have like $3k worth of things go wrong via the battery and brake actuator going out in a short time period. You can DIY a replacement battery but gently caress dealing with the brake actuator. You'll also never have to gently caress with either of them again though. My brake actuator has been doing the barking thing that they do when going out for months now.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 22, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bouillon Rube posted:

Good Mitsubishis are not sold in the US.

I literally have no idea what Mitsubishi actually sells here. The eclipse suv thing and then the outlander? Do they still sell that miserable tiny 2 door car that I want to call the Colt even though I’m pretty sure that’s not its name? My credit score is probably too high to even get on the lot to look at them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They infest the streets of Colorado and I see them in the mountains all the time. My gen 2 Prius can supposedly do alright up all the passes once the battery is tapped out, the crosstrek can probably handle it too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The hassle with traditional loans if you aren’t buying from a dealer are why my last 2 loans have been through lightstream. The last one had higher interest than I could have gotten through my CU but I don’t care because the guy still had a loan out on the car and it would have been a huge hassle. I could have refinanced it later but I’m lazy and don’t care. If you have good credit/income I highly recommend them. The money just shows up in your account and you keep the title and everything.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My Prius got through the Blizzard here in Colorado a few weeks ago like an absolute champ. There were times I thought it was done but it just kept going.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I need to bag my Prius to make it too hard to get to the catalytic converter. Seems like a good use case.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend’s 2010 forester just died. Gonna price an engine replacement which is probably not something I’d even look at in normal times. I can’t wait to try and find her something in the worst time to buy a car in the history of cars. Luckily I have too many cars and I’m going to get my 2007 Prius out to her ASAP.

Is it even worth seriously looking at used cars or is finding a cheap base model new whatever the way to go?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Car buying services can be worth it too. I paid 100 or 150 bucks and got my Tacoma for (I forget exactly) 13-1400 below sticker. Didn't have to do poo poo really.

Is whatever costco does worth it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

even cheap base model stuff is relatively expensive and not necessarily available

Yeah, this I already knew just from driving past car dealerships. Looking at used options it might be worth the wait since it seems like you're only getting an 8 year old car with 75k+ miles if you want to spend less than $20k. I'd be fine buying her something like that if it was still like $10-12k but that's not reality right now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Congrats on your Prius

As someone that bought a lovely beater Prius, it really is the perfect type of vehicle for the majority of the driving public. I loving hate it but I'm not the general driving public. The sad truth is that once I've got my girlfriend in something new and this Prius goes to her kid I'll probably grab another one for my highway beater because they can still be found relatively cheap.

On that note, after browsing used stuff for the past day and a half I don't see how I buy used unless I flat out can't get something new, even with a bit of a wait. This poo poo is just completely ridiculous.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I also asked in the new car thread, but anyone here with a new civic LX or that has experience to compare between the LX and the higher trims? A local dealer has an LX hatch that isn't spoken for and I might put my name on it. I don't like base models but my girlfriend apparently does not give a poo poo about bells and whistles so this might actually be great for her.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

And yes, used cars that are near-new are priced above new cars, because you can get them now.

Yup. It's a really poo poo time to not be able to wait if you need a new car.

I got my name on a Civic LX hatchback at MSRP today. Should have it next month so that'll be nice and my Prius will easily get my girlfriend by until then. It's word from the dealer so it's probably flat out wrong but they said there's a component on the new Civic that's manufactured in Ukraine and it's royally messing with production and delivery of the civic.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How long do buyers sit on the allocation lists?

We talking closer to a season or closer to a year?

I waited over 2 months for a base trim civic hatch to come in. It naturally waited until I was in the process of buying a house so I backed out. So now I’m shopping again and get to go through the whole allocation thing again. The dealers I’ve talked to about another civic hatch have none coming. So I’ll be looking at the crosstrek, new hr-v, and cx-30 and see what has the best timeline.

e: aaaaaaand my name is on a cx-30 select showing up in less than 2 weeks. Was not expecting that.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2022

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 1.5 hours commute per day gives me a little pause on Prius. If that’s in traffic the Prius is fine but I find the Prius’ main weak point is a lot of highway driving. It’s a little tinny and light and doesn’t accelerate well at speed and has the smallest fuel economy advantage on the highway. However it is still very reliable so that is a good choice. The Camry hybrid is a bit more substantial and comfortable but also tends to be more expensive.

As someone that commutes 75 miles each way in a second gen prius, it's alright. I get anywhere from 40-48 mpg depending on conditions but 44-45 is probably average. The seating position isn't super comfortable, it's loud, and it gets blown around like a box truck in the wind. The range isn't great either. My supposed 12 gallon tank has never taken more than 10 gallons and when I'm down to one or 2 bars and it only takes 7-8 gallons to fill it back up. But that's just a bit over 300 miles on the tank which is a bit annoying. I need to run it out of gas one day just to see how far off the gauge is. A 3rd gen can be had pretty easily for that price range but you have to watch those for oil burning. They're tanks outside of a couple common things that can get pricey depending on the generation. They're very hard to beat at what they do and even though the highway isn't their strong point there isn't much that's going to beat them as far as mpg goes in the same price range.

So, time to talk about a replacement car for my Prius. I don't enjoy it for a ton of reasons but I also don't want to replace it and pick up a payment. But my girfriend's oldest is about to get his learners permit and the plan is to give it to him. Which leaves me needing a commuter. Even though the market is slowly chilling out, used cars are still a terrible proposition. I'd love to be in the $15k range myself but that's only going to get me a 3rd gen with 100-150k miles from what I've seen casually browsing. I'd love a 4th gen for some extra mileage and bells and whistles but the only ones I've seen under $20k have salvage titles. Literally every single one. So I'm looking new again. I think I'm down to the Corolla Hybrid and the Chevy Bolt.

Corolla Hybrid pros: It's a Toyota Hybrid. It can be had with AWD which while not a requirement would be alright for lovely weather conditions. It's inexpensive for what it is. The AWD base model should at minimum match what my Prius gets.

Corolla Hybrid cons: None for its price range. The new Prius is going to be better but is around $5k more which is more than I want to spend.

Chevy Bolt pros: No gas or oil changes. That poo poo adds up. The prius uses 3-4 gallons a day on my commute. Quick napkin math puts that at around $200 a month at $3 a gallon on gas that I'd no longer be paying. Our electricity looks like it's in the $0.05-0.09 per kWh range. So on the top end it looks like it would be around $5 a day to charge on work days?

Chevy Bolt cons: First, I don't believe I'll qualify for the $7500 rebate. If I do it's a no brainer but if I don't it's around $1-1.5k more than the Corolla. I'd make this up fairly quick in gas savings though. Range anxiety. We have multiple other vehicles so I wouldn't be using it for road trips, but I need to make it 150 miles a day when it's snowing and 5 degrees outside. There's currently no charging at work but there could be in the future. However, there are multiple places where I'd be able to top off on my way home from work. The fast charging on them isn't great but if I only need to pick up 20 miles or whatever it wouldn't be bad. Having looked into this, I've seen multiple people that have commutes as long as mine that have had zero issues with it but there's still some concern, especially as the battery ages. I could of course just take a different car on those few days a year where it's like that.

Anything I'm missing here? Anything else I should be looking at? The Corolla feels like the right choice but the Bolt also makes a ton of sense even though I may not qualify for the tax credit. I'm hoping the used market continues to collapse over the next few months but I'm not going to hold my breath for that 4th gen Prius with 50k miles for $15k that I'm dreaming of.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Mazdas website mentions Premium not having the liftgate or Bose so I imagine it was a last minute shakeup from MY22->23 to ship volume in spite of electronics. How that factors into the sticker is odd but stickers gonna do weird sticker things.

I don't think you have Premium Plus (replaced GT and some other mid trims from 21) or Signature without the electronic doodads to justify the price. You'll pry my HUD and liftgate from my cold dead hands. I've been fully radicalized to prefer doodads with too much maintenance impact and paying more for the privilege.

I was tempted to jump a trim level for my girlfriend's CX-30 to get the HUD, but she didn't give a poo poo so I was going to get her the Select since that had enough bells and whistles. That got delayed and they had a Carbon on the lot and we both liked the color and interior so she ended up in that. I also like doodads but with the way everyone does trim levels now they just absolutely blow the price up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bank posted:

Test drove the CX-5 today. Interior was amazing as expected, drive was fine, but had a lot of cabin noise. It didn't help that we test drove a RAV-4 hybrid earlier.

It’s smaller than the size range you’re looking at, but the cx-30 is insanely quiet on the inside if that’s a big thing for you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't care for ACC

I don't either. Maybe I'd like it if I dealt with more traffic?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I've taken this thread's advice to heart about the reliability to the Prius, and have been keeping an eye out for them while reading up.

I can't give you advice on the others, but do keep in mind that even though the Prius is very reliable there are some big ticket items that will more than likely need to be replaced at some point. Those are mainly the hybrid battery and brake actuator on the 2nd and 3rd gens. The 3rd gens can also have issues with the head gasket.

The hybrid battery can be dealt with somewhat relatively inexpensively at least and is really the only "guarantee" as far as something that will have to be replaced. If you have any mechanical ability they're pretty easy to work on overall. I wouldn't mess with the brake actuator myself though. The shops that do work on them say they suck to replace and they do them somewhat regularly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

I guarantee the buy rate from TFS is 4.9 or lower and they're marking the interest rate up 1.5% or 2%. It's about 1800 bucks difference between 4.9 and 6.49.

Yup, Toyota is advertising 4.99% for the Corolla Hybrid on a 48 month note right now.

I think I'm more or less committing to plan B in the search for a car for our 16 year old. He'll get the Prius and I'll buy something slightly better. Pretty sure I'm going to go with a Golf TDI or Jetta SportWagen TDI. I used to have one and I want another even though it's going to cost more to operate than the Prius. I'll also settle for the right Jetta TDI. Prices on them are pretty decent right now due to the cost of diesel but it's not the biggest factor for me. And if it gets too high again I'll take the Prius back and make him drive the TDI.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

See if it ever had the brake booster repair. Otherwise it’s probably good to go. Worthwhile looking for oil change history as some Prius owners are real dumb about that.

There’s a maintenance schedule in the book but all maintenance schedules are going to be a few key items and then “inspect, replace as needed” - they’re not gonna tell you to proactively replace that much stuff.

Yeah, brake actuator should be your only big one with the battery having been done. Transaxle fluid is 100k miles and I think spark plugs are 120k? There's an inverter coolant pump and a coolant flow control valve that like to go bad. They're right next to each other, replace them both if you're doing one because the other will fail right after.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Used market looks to be improving but it's still a sellers market as far as I know.

I know the fact that I’m looking at diesels plays a part with the cost of diesel fuel, but I’m seeing a ton of price drops. Prices are still higher than they should be, but there’s an obvious correction happening in that market. Hopefully it continues to fall.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Make sure you’re checking the listings on marketplace. Like half of the ones I see are savage titles or have been repainted badly enough that you can still tell from their lovely pictures.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bank posted:

It's not like its thousands of dollars. I don't get why these places have to pull poo poo like this, it's infuriating.

There are enough people that won't deal with the hassle over a few hundred bucks. Free money for them when they can get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Without having a local bank, what's the best way to get someone paid for their car? A cashiers check looks like my best option but I know those can be very risky for the seller due to how easy they are to forge. I feel like I've bought a car with showing up at the sellers credit union and essentially doing a cashiers check straight to them before but that was a while back and I can't remember specifics.

I asked a local credit union about starting an account with them and transferring the money but they said there'd be a week hold and then you can only get $3,000 a day out through them which is annoying as hell.