Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the CPA takes forever to get your scores back. That said, I think for most people the hardest part is simply the time involved with studying while working full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The end result of the PTIN program is that the preparers who suck will take peoples' money and have them sign the return as self-prepared. Realistically, any liability is on the taxpayer as it is so this won't even be a huge step for them. Reputable firms will just increase their fees to account for their increased costs.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If you look at that press release and scroll down to 'capital and liquidity management' they have some more relevant information. The net loss was created by a 2.0 billion goodwill write-off (not a cash expense). They have almost 69 billion in retained earnings on their balance sheet according to Google. So to answer your question, they have plenty of cash and retained earnings to issue the dividend (depending on whether or not you ask the bank or the Feds, obviously.)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Absentlife posted:

Anyone here studied for and passed the CPA exam while not working? I don't have much experience in the field out of school and it's been terribly difficult even landing an interview.

Basically, I have two questions:

1) Has anyone here actually gotten an accounting job straight out of school with no experience? Who long did it take you?

2) Would passing the CPA exam help at all in finding a job if I still have no experience by the time I'm done? Of course I will be looking, but it's hard to get my hopes up. Also, what can I say in an interview if it comes to that? I'm guessing that saying "yeah... I was studying for the exam blah blah" is not going to impress anyone

By the way, I am literally kicking myself everyday because I missed the deadline for VITA at my school my last year there. Fortunately I think I can still do it there if I pass the exam, so I will definitely try that at least

Passing the exam is a big deal to many potential employers. Get it done as soon as possible. You should consider yourself lucky that you don't have to work full-time while studying.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mush Mushi posted:

I've been curious about how easy it would be to move from big 4 tax with CPA/MST to the IRS. I really don't hear about people taking this path very often. Does it ever happen?

The IRS seems like a solid exit opportunity, though maybe not as lucrative as other options.

Yes, it happens. When I came on board at the IRS there were quite a few people from Big 4 or similar backgrounds. Most of them got tired of the hours. This is anecdotal, but I know a guy at my office who received a job offer from a Big 4 as a senior associate for 52K. He was already making 57K at the IRS working 40 hours a week so needless to say he didn't take the job. With a CPA, MST and experience you may be able to come in as a grade 11. I know some CPAs with non-big 4 experience who were hired as grade 12/13s off the bat but that's pretty rare and it would be in an area like Large Business and International versus Small Business/Self-Employed where most new hires seem to start.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hellboundburrito posted:

It obviously depends on your location, but $52k as an experienced hire at a Big 4 (especially at the senior level) seems extremely low, so I don't blame him for passing. But I'm curious about your thoughts on advancement and the salaries that advancement at a Big 4 would have. If you stay in the IRS for 7-8 years, what's the expected compensation? My general thought, and I may be wrong, is that while you're averaging 40-50 hours/week, there isn't a lot whole of room for advancement or compensation increases. Is the draw to an agency like the IRS more a function of decent pay with less hours and decent benefits than it is the potential for advancement?

Also, this is a dumb question, but do any IRS agents get firearms and arrest powers as a federal agent?

Yes, as mentioned the CID carries guns and works lots of narcotics/money laundering etc cases. They get first pick of the choice cases involving high dollar amounts. It is difficult to get into the program, partly because of the health requirements (although seeing some of the people in that division I question how stringent they actually are) and partly because of the budget situation and the fact that they typically hire from the revenue agent positions so there are lots of things at play to get there.

As a bonus, CID gets to retire in 20 years and their pensions are higher than non-criminal agents. They also get paid 25% more but have to work 25% more as they work 50 hours a week versus 40, although I've been told they get several of those hours to work out and stay in shape. It wouldn't be a bad gig if you could land it.

To answer your question about compensation I don't think you can practically reach above a GS-13 while working as a revenue agent. Not saying that there aren't GS-14 agents out there somewhere, particularly as audit team leaders in Large Business & International, but they are exceedingly rare. Most career agents I've known seem to accept that a grade 13 is the highest they will reach. Actual compensation amounts vary according to your geographical location but you can look them up on OPM.gov. In my area, a grade 13 starts off at about $82,000 and maxes out at $106,000 after 10 steps. To get to step 10 takes about 19 years or something so there aren't an awful lot of people making that much. If I had to guess I'd say most experienced revenue agents make mid-90s. For reference, a fast career progression may take someone to the GS-13 step 1 level in 5-7 years if they are all-stars and the budget allows. I'm sure by the time you got to that level in the private sector you'd be at a manager level and clearing low six figures but I don't really have any confirmation of that.

Granted, $82,000+ is a lot of money when you only work 40 hours a week and get 6-8 hours paid leave every 2 week pay period. Not to mention the defined benefit portion of the pension and TSP matching etc. You certainly won't be making as much as a partner at a big 3 or a local/regional firm but you can live comfortably.

If you wanted to aim sky-high and become an executive, OPM.gov indicates you could make between 155,000 and 199,000 but again there probably aren't very many people actually making that - pulling this out of my rear end but only a few hundred people out of the ~95,000 member organization.

If you want to start collecting Ferraris, you should stick to the big 4 partnership path.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
NC has no expiration date for test scores. Passed the test almost 4 years ago and have yet to get my license because 1) none of my bosses, of which I am now on number 5, have been CPA's 2) I need 9 more credit hours and 3) even if I had my license I wouldn't get any benefit from it at my current job.

NC requires 150 credit hours with specific classes entailed, as well as 1 year direct supervision under a licensed CPA or 4 years general accounting experience.

I'd be hosed if I had to re-take the test because I have used almost none of the material in the last few years.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mandalay posted:

This FUTA Credit Reduction State thing is bullshit. I have to pay additional FUTA tax in 2014 retroactive to Jan 1 2013 because the state couldn't pay its UI benefits? I never thought about budgeting for this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUTA_credit_reduction

What state?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to imagine how an audit trail would work through this process and it's making my head hurt

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I just switched from big4 tax to investment banking and doubled my salary. If you all are anything like my coworkers and absolutely hate your job and want to change careers, there are lots of good opportunities out there. This isn't 2009 where you're just happy to have a job, go out and find a better one ;)

CPA helps a lot for that switch btw

What kind of international tax work? Where did you come across the job?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You could just audit taxes and enjoy the best* of both worlds :smuggo:

*the worst, and guaranteed no one is every happy to hear from you :nsa:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in a similar situation and currently taking my last 9 hours at the local community college to get me to 150. It's the last thing I need to do to get my CPA, passed the test almost 5 years ago. Good thing test scores don't expire in my state :feelsgood:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

Hope he likes living in vallejo.

You guys kinda get hosed on salary. Under $60k on a profession in an expensive city with a masters degree. No wonder people keep going to law school (don't go to law school). Does it ramp up with a CPA or something?

To be fair this only applies if you get a job at a big law firm making like $160K and grind out the hours accordingly. Most of my lawyer friends, save for the 1 who did get a big law job and has like $200K in debt, make about what I do or less as a CPA with about 6 years of federal government experience. That said, Big 4 looks great on a resume and once you get to the manager level you'll likely be making 6 figures, with senior manager and higher closer to 200 than 100 after bonus from what I have seen. Consider the first 3-4 years of a Big 4 career like law school only instead they pay you and it makes more sense.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moneyball posted:

Has anyone here actually gone the community college route to get their 150 credit hours, or did everyone go for an MBA or masters in something else?

I meet all the accounting/business course prerequisites, and I'm currently studying for the CPA now, looking ahead to finishing. (oh god I can't wait)

I'll be 32 by the time I finish, so I'd like to hurry up and get the last 30 credits out of the way to become licensed. The shortest MBA program I've seen is Suffolk's accelerated MBA for CPAs, that I could roll right into without taking the GMAT- I believe that's full time and $60,000 or so.

Alternatively, for $5,000, and the same amount of time, I could take one of these certificate programs:

http://www.northshore.edu/academics/programs/ckc/requirements

http://www.northshore.edu/academics/programs/cec/requirements

I think that knowledge would actually be more useful than the MBA program- just without a fancy piece of paper at the end. Ultimately, I'd like to be somewhere between accounting and computer science, as I'm not a natural in either. CISM, CISA, etc.

Which one looks more useful in an accounting role? Or should I reconsider the MBA/MS route?

Do you have a job in mind that would make $60K in debt worth it? Because I'm having a hard time thinking of one for a newly minted CPA.

I was short 9 hours and just took them at a community college for about $700. It may also depend on your state but in NC I already had all my accounting specific requirements and just needed the hours. It sounds like that's your case so my advice would be to keep it cheap and easy and try to get work experience vs an expensive degree.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Of those 2 programs the networking one seems more useful based on jobs I've seen. The applications one would be nice for the Visual Basic and access stuff since if you can do fancy poo poo in excel your basically a god at a lot of places. But, you can learn that on your own time. You have the right idea with the CISM or CISA I think.

I would be wary about paying that much for an MBA especially one not at a top school where you can likely get a job in finance or another high paying field. Like you said, get reimbursed for it or use it to segue into another field/employer down the road.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hellblazer187 posted:

So, I forgot I made this thread 100 years ago. I'm a CPA now as of like two weeks ago.

Looking for a new job though because I live overseas right now and I want my good old US and A back.

Edit: I'm also still technically a lawyer but laffo at that. I'm about as informed on the law these days as an average facebook post.

Congrats, as a dual license holder are you planning on doing anything interesting? Sounds like you are pretty much focused on the accounting side.

By interesting I mean 'become a badass white collar criminal tax attorney' or something

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Missing Donut posted:

Going from what I read at Going Concern, these areas are more profitable than bog standard tax and auditing services. Because of this, they offer better salaries and better hours without the same pressures of eating time from unrealistic budgets. By all accounts, they seem like a great place to start a career.

That is, until the next economic downturn when consulting work disappears.

Yeah I would so much rather work in consulting versus regular audit or tax.

Untagged posted:

What's life like for non-accountants at THE BIG 4? One of them has an office nearby and they are apparently heavily recruiting for corporate consulting in a field I'm somewhat familiar with ie. fraud/law enforcement/investigations etc. The bennies and salary are pretty good. Although it is a 60%-80% travel required job. Are the non tax jobs just as potentially soul crushing? My sister in law was a CPA for another big firm and loved the travel, but hated the hours and lack of a work life balance which forced her to quit. It's tempting, but there's not much info for life in these types of positions.

Those kinds of jobs can be pretty great and have huge promotion/career development potential. What's your background? Is this an AML or similar position? I've got some friends who have done very well in that field.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Thinking of going for an EA. Heard it's easy if you regularly prepare taxes and my firm will pay for it. Been lazy about the CPA and I really want a certification next to my name. It helps build client trust.

Does it do anything other than let you file a 2848 instead of a 8821?

Edit: lol I just saw the thread title

It's more tax specific than a CPA and will let you represent clients in front of IRS Appeals but a CPA is still better career wise and has better recognition

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Over 400 IRS revenue agent jobs opened today, they journey at the grade 12 level now too.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Master Tax Guide is probably the best solution for a quick reference

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I use CPEcredit.com because for $170 I can do my state ethics for 1 year and then a year of unlimited, which means I can do 2 calendar years worth of CPE before having to buy it again. I only do the self-study stuff though

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

199a is a hot garbage fire.

Job security

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There's a bunch of grade 13 Internal Revenue Agent positions open right now for the IRS's Large Business and International division. One of the few jobs that will hire off the street at that grade level (minimum starting salary $87,252 or more depending on area). If you have business tax experience and are tired of busy season, check it out.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mush Mushi posted:

What would you say the odds are for a qualified external candidate (non-veteran) for one of these jobs? I’d prefer not to relocate, so realistically I’m competing for a handful of spots that internals also want. I may also be overestimating the number of people who will even apply!

What happens if I get a spot from the SB/SE posting and then one or two months later get a spot in LB&I? I’d be lucky to have that choice, but it’s frustrating that all of these postings are on different timelines.

I think I need to accept that getting in is more important than getting the perfect role immediately, but they keep adding jobs that are potentially better fits on different interview schedules. I don’t want to piss anyone off, but also don’t want to decline opportunities given how random this process can be.

Depends on qualifications, if you have a lot of relevant corporate and/or international experience you could be more qualified than some of the internal hires.

I think if you get hired with SB/SE you can take the LB&I job later. IIRC some people did this around 2010 since the SB/SE job starts around grade 7 or 9 and the LB&I is 13, they applied as an external hire and got it. In this budget environment it takes a long time to get to a 13 in SB/SE so the LB&I job is much more attractive IMO.

I'd just apply to anything you think you might be interested in and see what happens, if you are lucky enough to get 2 offers hopefully they will work with you on the timeline.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SiGmA_X posted:

*7 month* delay?!?!

That's pretty quick for federal hiring.

Revenue Agent is a good job, I spent about 7 years as one out of college. You will learn a lot and get exposure to issues you may not see in public. It can definitely be frustrating but I know people who came from Big 4 and liked it a lot better. It's one of the most professional jobs at the IRS and once finished with training you will be in charge of your own schedule to work how you see fit so there is a lot of flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

black.lion posted:

As a firm partner who cannot find accountants of any xp level to hire: The jobs are out there friends!! You'll find your spot!!! KEEP GOING

I'm a CPA with almost 15 years of IRS experience at various mid-to high level positions. My current total compensation is close to $200K. Earlier this year I was testing the waters after a friend of mine in public went from a manager role making $120K to $350K a year in her specialty tax area at a non-public firm. The only call I've gotten was for a contract job with no benefits paying $22 an hour.

There are jobs out there but most of them aren't going to pay enough to hire me away, and the hiring system itself is incredibly broken.