Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

corkskroo posted:

food

I think the eggs are the most successful shots of all of them. They're certainly the most interesting. I agree with the previous comment that the focaccia dof is too narrow. It's actually distracting, in my opinion. It also feels like there are some color temp issues, especially on that second shot of the tuna tart. Was there a mix of natural and artificial light, or something?

The shrimp puffs look messy, but that's just what happens when you pour soy sauce or whatever onto something that's been deep fried. I dunno how it would have looked with the sauce drizzled around the plate, but it looks kinda ick, now. In the harissa, that giant out of focus pepper is so distracting. I get that you're conveying some of what the harissa is without completely taking away the focus of the food, but still. What would this have looked like from above,with both on the same plane?

I would try a few more angles, too. Almost all of these shots are the same, from the same angle, often the same distance. It seems that most food shots are taken from a similar angle as when we are sitting in front of it, ready to eat, but I personally love to see interesting, creative and especially dynamic food shots. For example, in your other post, I think the overhead ember day tart shots looks more interesting by far than the one with a slice taken out. You just could have used a less distracting tablecloth. I think you're doing better, you should just vary it up a bit and work on some lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

corkskroo posted:

whatevs nobody cares here's some breadstuffs

I think the bread does need to be made a little more interesting, as was pointed out, but I think the basket is a little dated. Try and find something whimsical to do, like if you had several rolls in a row, replace an inner one with a red apple or something for a splash of color and to break up the monotony. Additionally I think you have some contrast issues and everything is bluer than it should be imo.

Kazy posted:

Did a couple of shots for a school project, first time working with food. My only other one wasn't great, but it was my first time working in the schools photo studio and I didn't really know my way around the equipment.

I wish I could have lit the front a lot better though, seems too dark for my tastes.

I like this one a lot, but it would be nice to see it placed a little more symmetrically within the frame. You could pretty easily photoshop it, I should think.

Edit: it's pretty symm. really, I just meant something about it being at that slight angle throws me off.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tunnelman posted:

Be careful when lighting from behind, you see on the edge of the chopsticks you lose a bit of detail from the light wrapping around it? How did you light this one? Welcome to studio shooting by the way!

Here's an image I did last night in the studio, if anyone would be so kind as to give me some feedback it'd be great. Shot it with a 4x5 with a digital Leaf back, a 210 lens, around f/22.

It's technically well done, but I dunno if it's the arrangement of the food or what; I just find it kind of uninteresting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BioTech posted:

I've been taking pictures of every dinner I cook for about 5 months now, starting with a really ancient and terrible Sony Cybershot. I don't think that thing counts as a camera. The first weeks pictures were horrible because there was no natural light and my dinner lamps are orange, so I tossed all of those away. With the sunlight I actually had some decent results and good enough for just posting on Facebook like I intended.

Recently I bought my first DSLR camera (Canon 1100D) and much to my surprise the first pictures were the worst ever. I didn't know how to control aperture, blurring half my own dish, highlights because of glazed ceramics in the sun became more obvious and even though I try to make things look attractive the missing colors came out stronger than ever. I know this is all because of my own inexperience, but the latest batch came out okay and I'm getting more confident. Still a long way to go, but my Plate to Pixel book was delivered today so hopefully that is another step in the right direction.

This is a picture from last week I was fairly satisfied with. I took it in my new lightbox, but the background was not installed yet and I used it for the first time so please excuse the ugly black/white fields and the shadows. Didn't have any nice bowls handy either, so it looks a bit sterile. I use two monitors and on one it is a grayish plate with bland colors, while on the other one it is warm and really shines. I like to think the warm one is correctly calibrated, but I haven't checked yet.

Any advice about improving these kind of very basic shots or this one in particular would be very welcome.

It is waaaaaaaaaaay too warm, imo.

Also, I'd get rid of the diamond plate. I think it's distracting, as is the fact that you cut off some of the bowl corners randomly. The food itself looks pretty great, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mysticp posted:

I would buy some real chef gear, pants, coat and wear clean black kitchen shoes, you can get some nice casual non pretentious style stuff (like a short sleeve chef coat) that will look great. I think it presents a more professional image, even though you are cooking in a home kitchen. Oh and nice kitchen!

I wouldn't wear a chef coat or something. Clean pants, an apron, and a t-shirt with your logo on it would work well, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Awesome as always. I'm going to have to bookmark your blog, though, PIMM, because hveitiogsmjor is impossible for nonmoonlanguage people to remember on a new computer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nonanone posted:

Mmmm those cookies do look good, except the dirty fork is distracting, you could clean that up in a second. You should open international shop in the US! :D

I noticed that, too, when I looked a second time...then I kept seeing it. :|

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I personally don't like the bite taken out of a cookie; I'd rather see the full cookie. It looks great, though.

I think the pie bars have a little too much light; the details and color of the breading on top suffers for it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LAchristus posted:

Usually I use old, worn and faded spoons, so that I don't have to deal with a crisp refelction like that.

Oh, that's a great idea.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PushingKingston posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking to do, but it definitely has a sanitized, institutional feel (which could be cool, considering). The white coffee mug really blends too much into the wall. I like the white/yellow theme, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pickman posted:

Here are my first attempts at making common items of confectionery look artistic:

food_photography2 by Tom.Plk, on Flickr

food_photography1 by Tom.Plk, on Flickr

Any critiques are welcome, since I'm a beginner at this style of photography.

Buy a new plate to use (is that a cast iron lid?), since I find that distracting. Also, check your white balancing. I assume it's the same plate/lid in both pictures, but the color is pretty different.

Do something interesting with the candy. Don't just dump it on a plate and take a picture. Everyone has seen candy before. Make us see something different.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Charmmi posted:

I love everything about what you're doing.

You would.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Funny how they can come up with so many words to describe the same photo.

It reminds me of wine aficionados.

Also, can we discuss the ridiculousness of: ca{k, s}e study

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ugh, PBR.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

From going out for tacos the other night:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I just liked the tables my local coffee shop uses.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It is the best coffee I have ever tasted, no joke.

LAchristus posted:

Inspired by Modernist Cousine!

These are fun. I would like to see the fruit a little more clearly in the final image, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I had some lunch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Good job everyone.

I actually quite like this one.

Ugh.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Perfect response.

Maybe, but I really can't stand anything you're posting in here. It has nothing to do with the food or the image itself. It just seems like you're trying to copy reichstag and not even doing a good job of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dukeku posted:

Everything else in here is just trying to copy every foodblog on the internet - where's your outrage?

You're right, it's just that reichstag was actually doing something different with food photography for a change. I haven't liked a lot of his food stuff, but I can't deny it was interesting and different. This just felt like a weaker version of that without a point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I enjoy this first one because. I think it would be stronger if there wasn't a shadow underneath the fish, so it could seem more like it was floating on top of the paper.

Yeah, I have to agree.

Nice shot, aiiaznsk8er, I like the grime. The monochromatic nature does make it hard to focus on something, tho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Waiting for the SH/SC post, "So I spilled some gravy...."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Musket posted:

modsass.

Also that isnt something SH/SC would troubleshoot, you see its an audio receiver.

Yeah I know, but it IYG doesn't have a dedicated troubleshooting forum.

Oh, nevermind.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Some people do those with black spaghetti and the end result is horrifying.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reichstag posted:

This is the stupidest joke i have ever made.

"This is going straight to my hips."
Ack, Cathy, ack!

Man, those fudge covered animal cookies are pretty delicious, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

DSC_0150.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

The muffins didn't make it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why is there a carrot in the celery bowl? You're loving up the holy trinity! Impure!

Mirepoix. Trinity is green peppers, celery, and onions. :D

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mdtyson posted:

The real question is where is the garlic. Ain't no soffritto without garlic.

Which gets to the point: all those ingredients need to be discernible to make the photo work.

Yeah, the bowl of onions really almost looks like mashed potatoes.

I'd like to see the rims of each bowl, or no rims of no bowl, and maybe something on the background surface.

Taking pictures of stuff on a "white" background with white containers/components is something I personally suck at though, so I try to avoid it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rovasti posted:

This is like beef Wellington but with salmon

Lohi Wellington by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

and all of this is going to make a nice soup

Madesopan ainekset by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

I really like the first one.

The second one is a bit off, might be that it's yellow.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

This is kinda fun. Bit too blue, though, I think.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I sort of love you for that.

I just ate at my dirty kitchen island. Tables are for chumps.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Excuse the shoddy cell phone pic, but I feel this is relevant to the conversation.

Breakfast frittata.

I appreciate the cutting board but is it on the table?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

You fool! You're letting the delicious yolk escape

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

:nws:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dakana posted:

If you don't make bread at least once a month you need to reevaluate your life and your choices.

0O3O0665 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Sort of a tight crumb for a baguette. What hydration level did you use?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dakana posted:

I thought so too. I think I used 70%; I've got a pate fermentee warming up on the counter from last night that's an 81% attempt, though. We'll see how it works for me today.

Nice!

If you have it (you should), check out Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. The recipe for Pain à l'ancienne is outstanding.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Took me a minute to realize it was the bottom half of a hand blender.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

I'm posting photos instead of arguing about the same ol stupid "ART" poo poo.

lovely photos of lovely food.

Man I would eat funnel cake all day erry day if it wasn't for that whole heart disease thing.

Reichstag posted:

Nice! I've never made my own pizza dough before, really need to try it.

You should, it's super easy to do a basic pizza dough:

X grams of flour
.65X - .7X grams of water
yeast
salt

Mix, knead, rise, roll, rest, top, bake.

Bake at the hottest temp your oven can support.

gently caress I love making pizza at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Thread is saved, praise the chickencheese!

It brings peace and joy to whichever thread it touches.

• Locked thread