Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Oh, man - I dug out my MML disc and managed to get it working again, and I'm really having a blast. I expected myself to find the game a bit lamer than I remembered (since it came out like eleven years ago and I played it religiously as a kid) but it still holds up pretty well. The dungeons aren't nearly as big or foreboding as I remember them (although I'm pretty sure I remember MML2 changing this in a big way) and some of the dialogue is just ridiculous ("I get this funny feeling whenever I think of him.....oh, who cares what this feeling is?! He's toast!!") but I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also picking up on a lot of little touches as I go through that I missed as a kid - the reason there's no normal ruins in the city, for example, is because Kattelox has walled them off and is using them as a sewer system. There was clearly a lot of thought put into the universe and its backstory, and it's really disappointing we're probably never going to see MML3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

malefactor posted:

:ohdear:

Lets balence this out with some awesome.

THE BEST MEGA MAN GAME.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfBbARZZC6k

Fixed that for you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

JihadforChrist posted:

Plus the last boss fight in the game was set to Bethoven. The game's atmosphere, story and setting just oozed pure charm.

After beating both of those games I went back and bought my first introductions to the main Mega Man series. Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X6. :smith:

The fact that we never got a sequel to the last games cliffhanger ending is criminal.

We totally need a Megaman Legends 3, but I think that fight was set to some Bach. Seriously, though, does Inafune remember the series even exists?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm glad that it looks like Mega Man Legends 3 is still in the works post-Inafune. From what I've seen of the developer's blogs it looks like they're actually putting some heart into this one - or at least are trying pretty hard not to gently caress it up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

The X\Zero\ZX series story is a complete, total, horrible mess, but when I was like 13 and I only had X1-X3 it was like the most awesome poo poo ever. It had potential to be cool.

The clusterfuck of a story from Classic>X>Zero>ZX makes Mega Man Legends so much better.

So, uh, as it turns out, dozens and dozens of sequels' worth of all-out war between battle machines will gently caress a planet up *good*. "In a world covered by endless water..."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Battle Network games are terrible in just about every way possible, not just story. There's four MegaMan series: Original, X, Legends and Zero\ZX. Battle Network and Starforce? That's not MegaMan.

Pshaw, don't hate on the only multiplayer Mega Man games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm kind of okay with Mega Man Universe being cancelled, I guess - I would've picked it up for sure, but something about it didn't grab me.

God help me if we don't get Mega Man Legends 3 though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

For what it's worth MM&B is one of the first classic series Mega Man games I'd beaten, and I did it on the GBA. Yeah, parts were frustrating, but I'll put up with a hell of a lot for classic MM platforming on a handheld with a goddamned save feature. Why Capcom cancelled the Game Boy MMAC is beyond me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Despite cringing that the franchise is "Sonic-ing" out some new characters (from the looks of it) I am twelve different kinds of psyched.

Even for just a preview.

...that you have to pay for.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

The fact that you have to do Chill Penguin's stage to get a fundamental, game-defining powerup is a minor blemish, I think. If you started with some form of the dash then it would be perfect.

Nah, there was nothing that really *required* the dash until after that, and besides the thing is literally impossible to miss. For contrast: X4 required the hoverboots/airdash upgrade to get past the first post-Maverick stage. Now, it's not like the upgrade is hard to get to by any means (compared to the insanity of trying to get the arm upgrade) but it's easy to miss, especially if you're stupid and young and playing on an ancient CRT TV that sort of fades towards the edges.

Also, add me to the "I will piss and moan forever if MML3 is cancelled" list. Some people earlier in the thread were talking about the first two being "only mediocre", but I STILL think they're really great action games. They also look slick as hell on a PS3 with the smoothing turned on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

There's no part in X1 where you need the dash in order to progress, even in the Sigma stages. The same is true for X2.

I didn't think there was, I just wasn't sure. Further proves the point, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

A good poster posted:

Is the MML3 beta going to be free, or will they charge for it?

It's not really a beta, and they're charging for it. It seems like the sort of preview/prequel demos they did for Dead Rising 2 and Dead Space 2.....I'm guessing it'll end with Mega Man coming back to Terra, since at the end of MML2 he was trapped on Elysium, all the Reaverbots on the planet got activated, and Roll and Tron were trying to get him home. People new to the series would be pissed if the first half of a Mega Man game didn't have the titular Blue Bomber...I mean, look at X7.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Himuro posted:

My favorite MM is MMX4, though. That game is godly.

...Except for the voice acting. But who the hell cares about voice acting in a 2d platformer? I just wish X didn't sound like a pissed off toddler the whole game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

XboxPants posted:

So, who else has gone out within the last few days and bought a 3DS so in order to ensure you could support MML3? Admit it. And if you haven't yet, really, what's stopping you?

Pshaw, all the cool kids preordered a launch 3DS when the game was announced back in October. :smug:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

XboxPants posted:

There's a Chip's Challenge Mega Man game?! :swoon:

It's...interesting. I don't know how familiar you are with it but you basically set up a sequence of chips that the computer chooses from to use, and you can "slot-in" one or two chips when you need them for emergencies. I beat it with one of the characters using Bass on a really long bus trip in high school but I barely remember any of it.

Also I don't remember if Network Transmission was really really terrible or if I just never got into it. I don't know, you can probably find it for a couple of bucks these days, and if you're really REALLY jonesing for a 2D classic-style (though gimmick-laden) Mega Man game it's gotta be worth a shot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Avocadoes posted:

If MML3 goes gold....im probably going to end up spending 200$ for a single game. Im just happy to see this game is going somewhere. I was losing hope. But now things look clear again. :unsmith:

Unfortunately, the release of Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype has been delayed (as discussed at some length in the 3DS thread). So it might not be worth getting your hopes up for, unfortunately.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Welp, gently caress. Between this and Resident Evil Mercenaries' permasave bullshit, that's it. No more Capcom games bought by me, ever.

God drat it Capcom, why even bother with the campaign if you're not going to release it? gently caress you in your corporate assholes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Overbite posted:

I bought a 3DS for this game :(

Me too. Here I was hoping OoT3D would just be a 3D action adventure holdover until MML3 came out, but no, it looks like another decade-old game will be the top offerings for most of the system's life.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Yeah, the prototype was apparently done and ready to put up... and then they pulled the plug before it ever made it on the store. I'm really not sure what happened there, unless someone really had it in for Megaman/Rockman.

I get the feeling that that is exactly the case here.... There's really not a whole lot else you can take away from the whole debacle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

senae posted:

I'm going to love not knowing what any of Zeros moves are because I don't understand Japanese! Good job!

(I know capcom started it, but that's no excuse.)

I'm sorry, but what exactly were you expecting here? It's not just "Capcom started it", it's "the way the character has worked since he was first introduced as fully playable in X4".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I feel bad every time people talk about how ZX and ZX-A aren't so difficult because I've had the games acouple years each at least and I've only ever finished the first bosses of each :smith:

I remember getting pretty far in ZX before the map became more than I wanted to deal with in a goddamned Mega Man game, but ZX-A has at least one boss early on that made me say "gently caress it" and shelve the game pretty much indefinitely.

Maybe I'll go back when I work down my backlog of DS RPGs. Maybe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

Ever played MegaMan II on an actual old GameBoy Pocket with no backlighting? Yeah, it's pretty much the worst thing ever.

Also I've been doing my first ever playthrough of MegaMan Legends with a friend and while I'm almost at the end of it, I'm finding the last hour of it to be annoyingly frustrating. I'm currently at the Bruno Reaverbot boss fight, I keep looking up guides for the game that all say I should do the crummy side quests that I really have no interest in, before I go right to Juno. If I just went straight through the story after Bruno would it be relatively quick? Legends is charming as heck, but the gameplay feels pretty outdated and I just want to finish it already. (...and get back to doing my first playthrough of Wind Waker)

Also, from what I've seen Legends 2 seems a lot better, it supports analog control right? And I swear I saw this too, but can you now situate the camera to the right analog stick? (oh god please say yes)

Legends 2 supports analog but seriously the games are designed around the shoulder inputs and play much better that way - think of how insanely tightly the NES Mega Man games controlled, that is what the Legends controls are trying to replicate in 3D.

From Bruno you're less than an hour from the end of the game if you skip sidequests, and the ending is pretty cool if you care at all about the Huge Plot Infodump (which....I can't believe I'm about to say this about a MM game, but the worldbuilding in Legends is interesting enough to put up with the cheesy way they deliver the plot, if you pay attention). That said I would tell you to jump straight into Mega Man Legends 2, beat the game, then come back to Legends 1 and beat it. If you're already to Bruno then you get the gist of what's going on: bad poo poo is happening around the island because you hosed with a system you didn't understand. If you press on and beat the game you're rewarded with an ending that (while resolving the central, impending conflict) doesn't explain much and raises more questions than it answers...until you beat MML2.

Some people might warn you off of doing it this way, but seriously you're so close to the end of MML that it won't bug you for too long to go back to the older game and put up with it for an hour while you kill the boss. If you power through suddenly the castrati robot monkey will be telling you about Mother Units and Eden and poo poo and you won't know what the gently caress, even though it sort of makes sense and tangentially ties back to the Classic/X/Zero games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

Is this what is commonly referred to as the "Ultimate Technique?"

No, I'm pretty sure that's "circlestrafe the enemy with your buster". I'm not kidding. You've got to remember how early these games were, I mean Legends predated OoT.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hey, at least it's not old school Resident Evil. I still maintain that the shoulder button controls are some of the most finely-tuned I've seen in a 3D action game, it's just a shame that the enemy AI is so primitive that you can literally run circles around it. In retrospect the devs clearly recognized this early on, since in two of the biggest story battles your movement is restricted and you have to protect your ship.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

quakster posted:

Legends 3 looked like putrid poo poo and a sequel to Powered Up (Universe) was the best possible thing they could've made.

The new character looked kinda lame but I figured MML3:Prototype was supposed to give him enough story backing to be likable. Past that the game looked awesome and I have no idea really what you could be referring to.

I agree a sequel to Powered Up would be super cool, though. While we're dreaming, how about Maverick Hunter X2? The first one was kinda mediocre, but only because MMX was such an incredibly solid game to begin with it made the changes look worse by comparison. It would be cool to see what they could've done with X2, which in my opinion was a much weaker game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

That looks really terrible.

I will try it anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Mega Man's infamous for introducing hazards in small increments.

I don't think we've played the same Mega Man games. The only case in which this is true is X4 and up where the robot masters had two stages each.

I mean, how would that even work? You choose the order you play stages in. And the obstacles are usually deadly right from the start, look at Guts Man's stage for an example.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Himuro posted:

Yeah, us X fans really got a short end of the deal.

Yeah man, eight main games and a handful of spinoffs including handheld titles and an RPG is the "short end of the stick".

"Legends"? What's "Legends"?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You forgot that in MM&B there's a boss that you have to fight while jumping from floating tile to floating tile over a bottomless pit and if you shoot the wrong thing you temporarily go blind.

Which was frustrating, but also cool as hell and it felt awesome to get past it.

Also, I think Mega Man 8 would have been a huge fan favorite if the sound effects and voices hadn't been so godawful. When it comes right down to it, the hover board segments don't have anything mechanically wrong with them at all, it's just the incessant "JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE" that makes them insanely annoying. And poor Mega Man's standing sprite looks awful.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I think a lot of people here maybe weren't following the Mega Man Legends 3 cancelation. That was seriously one of the most poorly-handled events in the industry and Capcom handled it gracefully by essentially saying "gently caress you guys". Bear in mind that I'm fairly sure that game had more input from and interaction with fans during development than pretty much anything else they've ever put out.

Then they added Box Art Mega Man to SFxT and made his ending a joke about whining about Legends 3. If that doesn't strike you as kind of a dick move then I don't know what to tell you.

LateToTheParty posted:

Such as when they made those horrible sequels to Golden Axe and Altered Beast,the mediocre Nights sequel, and that Sonic kart racing series.

For what it's worth, the latest Sonic kart racing game is actually balls-out awesome. It's like a cross between Mario Kart and F-Zero (it gets insanely fast and pretty hard) where you can shoot bees at Danica Patrick.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

This isn't even true.

Whoops. That's what I get for ever reading Kotaku, I guess.

I agree with everyone else that BAMM is hilarious, that parody ending just seemed mean-spirited.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I wish there was a checkbox on that survey for "I've already purchased digital versions of these games, sometimes more than once, and have both the X and Classic collection, AND you JUST announced that you're ALREADY re-releasing MM 1-6 AGAIN digitally, so WHY ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT THESE THINGS".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

greatn posted:

People always say MM&B was obviously designed only with Bass in mind, but this really doesn't seem that way to me. I've played that game so much, and the experience is always superior with Mega Man. He has a more powerful gun that can shoot through walls, and that by far makes up for dashing and double jumping, and is the superior option to use in my opinion. Double jumping is really more of an albatross in that game that just makes you careless and makes you take more damage. Bass sucks at dodging because of his taller profile and inability to slide.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. I couldn't beat more than a couple robot masters as Bass when I tried the GBA version....geez, almost a decade ago? I breezed through the game as Mega Man without a whole lot of trouble. Seeing everyone post about how superior Bass was made me wonder if I was completely misremembering things.

I have always and will always hate MMI GB. gently caress those toothpaste-dispenser worm-vomiting things, gently caress them to death.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Bass doesn't have a slide but doesn't his dash make up for it?

His dash doesn't make up for the fact that he can't shoot while moving or that his gun is a worthless pea shooter. Bass is far more maneuverable on the whole except when it comes to shooting....which is kind of important in Mega Man games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Ten hits with the Bass buster is like one second though? Not sure what your point is.

That's one second where you're completely stationary, though, as opposed to Mega Man who runs across the screen without stopping because a single charge shot takes care of entire swaths of enemies at once. It's annoying and screws with the flow of the game.

Plus Bass is like Robot Mickey Mouse for some reason, and that's lame as hell.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Plus I think there are some jumps where Mega Man absolutely needs Ice Wall to proceed.

I remember these but I don't remember if there are any in the robot master stages themselves - if they're just in the fortress, it's kind of par for the course for a MM game. Using weapons in interesting ways to get past stage obstacles is one of my favorite things about the series.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Didn't CyberConnect2 joke about taking over Legends 3 after Capcom canceled it? I think that would be pretty interesting to see.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I am psyched as hell for this, but a lot can happen between now and 4/2015. 7/18/2011 NEVER FORGET :911:

Also, I know they're just concepts/mockups, but if the final game looks anything like that at all it will be a god drat travesty to not have it on the Vita's gorgeous OLED screen. I've heard rumors of a possible 3DS port stretch goal and I just shudder.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

It's pretty obvious that there's way more backroom office politics behind Capcom's recent decisions than anyone online knows about. For all we know, Inafune got into an argument with the CEO at one meeting and slowly got pushed out the door in revenge.

Counterpoint: Capcom is a den of incompetence that managed to gently caress up production release box art for not one but two games in recent memory. Yeah, sure, it was Capcom USA, but the JP side of things really doesn't seem to be doing much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I just looked it up, didn't realize that Okami was five years ago already. The other one though was Resident Evil: Revelations last year.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but personally I don't think "spell your own game's title right on the box" is a particularly unrealistic expectation for a company that has been making games for thirty years.