Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Is there a big enough difference between the Intuos 3/4 Cintiq 21UX to favor a used 3 or a new 4?

I had a Cintiq 12 for a year or two, and it was the bees knees as long as you didn't use the outer 1/4"-1/2" which was completely useless. But the surface was too small for me, so I sold it to a buddy a month ago in preparation of shelling out lots more money. Anyway, now I'm on the fence between a used 3 ($1400-$1750) or a new 4 ($2000, when they're back in stock anywhere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Locus posted:

Anyone have experience with Cintiq screen protectors? I'm paranoid about my new one, after reading about scratched up screens people have had to replace in the past, although I'm not sure if it's still a problem with the newer models/materials. I've got one of these: http://www.strongengineering.com/onescreenprotectorfitscintiq21ux17x12-34.aspx - And it's pretty nice, although be warned you'll lose a noticeable amount of clarity due to the drawing side texture.

I've got an Amazon order pending for a 21UX myself. Have you tried any of these screen protectors yet?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Locus posted:

Still just using the Strong Engineering one. No sign of wear on it that I can see. The clarity loss doesn't bother me, but that's just because I don't take it off and have gotten used to it.

I'll probably get around to trying other options some day.

The screen on the 12WX had a slight fuzz to it anyway, and the 21UX I saw at SD Comic Con was crystal-loving-clear. I didn't use the 12WX all that much for reasons mostly due to its scale and screen design, but it was never noticeably scratched between use and electronic dust collecting.

Also: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1278

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

woot fatigue posted:

For anyone using the Cintiq 12WX, or considering buying one but turned off by the accuracy issues, Wacom recently released new drivers with 4-point calibration (vs 2-point). Makes a HUGE difference - I'm actually using mine as a tablet now instead of desk-art!

Is the outer 1/4"-1/2" functional or still wobbly? That's why I sold mine off and opted to pay a used car's fee for a 21UX... that Amazon is still sitting on the order for for obvious reasons :sigh:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Middle of last week I got a shipping notification for my 21UX from Amazon :cheers:

Target arrival is between, I think, March 23rd and April 12th :geno:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Raenir Salazar posted:

MangaStudio I think is winning my little race for best drawing program for my usages.

Dave Gibbons of Watchmen likes it too. Care to elaborate why? I'm rather curious.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Woohoo! For some reason Amazon shifted my 21UX order up by 1.5 months and it shipped a few hours ago.

I can't wait to find a bunch of dead pixels, artist's block, and not have room for it. It's gonna be swell! Also I can't complain about the tiny size of my 12WX anymore--not only because I sold it, but because this monster is closer to a scale I'm comfortable with.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Tablet arrived with 2 dead/stuck pixels. Am I ahead of the curve, or hosed?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Honked posted:

I have never in my life seen a dead pixel. Try and get it replaced.

Nuts. I'll have to call them up on Monday then. No online info and they insist on phone calls.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Honestly, I think Wacom support will ask me "Seriously? Seriously? Seriously?..." until I hang up. It took me a week short of two months to get this one--1.5 months earlier than estimates--and the only Google search for their policy I can find is a European who got denied for 7 dead/stuck pixels (1 or 2 dead, rest stuck) until a community rep on the forums resubmitted the case for consideration.

Also, they're hardly in places I give a poo poo about, I'm just sort of upsent I spent TOO MANY DOLLARS and have dead pixels.

For reference, here's where they are in Win7:
-Maximize windows explorer and look at the ?-button in the upper-right. It's not on the question mark, but on the left side of the question mark hugging it.
-Click your start menu, it's a few pixels to the left and down from the "A" in "All Programs".

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
You should all be advised that most art teachers hate those things and think they exist to rip off students mostly.

The prime reasons being that the joints are have no real movement because there are no muscles to contract, and they only come in two generic gender-based body types.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Raenir Salazar posted:

What would a better brand be that I could look into, I'm also feeling a little annoyed with the lack of movement.

There isn't one. This is the point in an art class where the teacher pulls out their soap box and tells you to take figure/life drawing classes as often as possible.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Listerine posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the smaller cintiq, the 12wx, and could give comments? I read that the screen wasn't so hot.

I had no trouble with the screen display-wise, and it fit on my lap if I wanted to kick my feet on my desk and draw that way--though it got a bit warm.

The outside 1/4" or so was completely useless for me though. I dunno if that's a hardware or driver problem, but at the edge of the display your cursor will wiggle/jitter. It was a guaranteed problem, though it's not that big of a deal. I sold mine off because the screen was too small.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Tewratomeh posted:

What's the learning curve for tablets in general? I've just received a Bamboo tablet, and one thing I've noticed about it is that it doesn't really feel at all like regular drawing. I guess that's to be expected but I thought it'd be a little more "natural" than this.

I guess it's the cheapness of the entry-level tablet I'm using, I don't know. I'm just a little underwhelmed so far. It's pretty good for Photoshopping though, like making masks and cutting and pasting. Definitely feels better than using a mouse. I'll play with it a bit more and see how it grows on me.

Think of it like blind contour drawing.

If you have no idea what that is, it's when you look at your subject and have absolutely none of your pad/paper/whatever in your field of view and you draw it anyway. It's an eye>brain>hand relationship.

I'm too much of a pansy rear end to really buckle down and practice it, but it's important for figure drawing all the way to architecture.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

sigma 6 posted:

Jesus . . . Amazon is $200 less than my local vendor (Mac Hollywood) for the 21 inch cintiq but there is a 2-4 month wait for shipping! :bang:

Might as well just go ahead and pay the extra just to be able to go pick it up in person when it arrives.

My 3-month wait was about 1.5 months this winter. The 2-4 month estimate is probably if no one in front of you gives up and cancels.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think that rather than a black outline he wants a darker shade of the fill color. Like how they did the coloring Disney's Hercules and Hunchback of Notre Dame (probably most recent ones). Lotta comic books have been doing it since digital coloring stopped looking like crappy gradient tools.

Light blue shirt? Navy blue outline. Pink something? Probably a light red outline. Though I think they generally reverse that once a color gets too dark. Like black gets a grey or white outline depending on lighting.

Also, you might be able to cheat it the Illustrator way. Put a layer behind your color and just trace it slightly further out than your fill/color.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Quantify! posted:

I wish I had the disposable income to buy a Cintiq and only use it once.

"Welp guess I'm not an artist after all time to sell this for a significant loss"

She's losing $200. That's only a 10% loss. Before I got mine I saw them for $1400-$1600 most of the time for the previous model.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
24-inch?! Mein Gott that's huge. I've only had my 21ux since early spring, and it eats up enough of my desk as it is. Also, the amount of gained surface area won't be as dramatic as the 12 to the 21. Not that I won't look at it and dream of trading my 21 for it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Locus posted:

I've got one of these screen protectors for my 21UX: http://www.strongengineering.com/search.aspx?find=cintiq

It's worked great the past few years, but it's slightly textured and brings your screen clarity down a notch.

First of all: Catch-up time. Been a few months.

Anyway, are these still worth it? Tiny flecks of magic have attracted themselves to the tip of my pen and I now have 2-3 tiny hairline scratches in my Cintiq. Can't see them when you lean back, but if I lean in my nose to the grindstone I can hear and feel the little ridges as my pen glides over them.

The sadness was overwhelming on the first, then the second appeared in the past few days.

Also, what's the best surface cleaning/preparation? I've failed at putting these stickers on phones before and just resolved (successfully) to put everything not-phone in one pocket and only-phone in the other.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

squirrelzipper posted:

Well I got to spend some time with a Surface Pro over the Canadian Remembrance Day long weekend, and it was pretty cool. Having Photoshop/Manga Studio on a tablet with a Wacom pen was very flexible. But I realized that it wasn't what I was looking for. I'm not looking for a mobile studio, I don't travel all that much other than when I commute which is only a couple times a week if that. Around the house I'm perfectly happy with my rMBP and Intuos tablet.

So it was kind of cool, but I know that the $'s on the Surface and Companion aren't good for me. I wish the Samsung Note 10.1 had worked out, I think all I want is to replace my paper travel book.

Also, I'm kind of missing Procreate. poo poo, I might end up full circle with a new iPad and a sausage stylus.

I scribble on my Note 10.1" a bunch when I head to a local cafe. Mostly in Sketchbook Pro and to a lesser extent in Artflow (due to rather lame pencil emulation tools.)

What about it didn't work out for you? I mean, it's far from perfect, but it seems a really good replacement for a spiral sketchbook with occasional coloring.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

turnways posted:

Easy way to restart Wacom drivers:

Windows 7
1. Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc
2. Click on the Processes tab
3. Scroll down and end both instances of Wacom_Tablet.exe, as well as Wacom_TabletUser.exe
4. Click on the Services tab
5. Right-click TabletServiceWacom and click Start

Windows 8/8.1
1. Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc
2. Click on the Services tab
3. Scroll down, right-click TabletServiceWacom (or the equivalent, the name might be different, but it's the Wacom service), and click Restart

You'll have to exit/restart any programs you want to use pressure sensitivity with, but that'll do it.

End tasks? What?

Computer>R.click>"Manage">Services and Applications>Services>"Tablet PC Input Service" and/or "TabletServiceWacom", select and Restart. (sometimes one works, sometimes I have to restart both for some odd reason)

Then restart your apps unless you want them to always be at 100% pressure reading at all times. Well I mean if you're the type of person who likes to put dents in paper you'd be at home.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Picked up a laptop (first one in several years) for drawing and gaming on the go, as well as broke down for a portable drawing tablet. I'm spoiled by my Cintiq and Galaxy Note 10.1, but opted NOT to spend more money on a 3rd LCD screen to doodle on.

You: So, guy, get to the effin' point.

Alright, geeze. Over the weekend I opted to stray from the holy path and ventured the path of darkness and ordered a Huion H610 Pro. They're $80 at instead of $250.

Oddly it had nothing to do with this thread and I saw the positive Huion opinions when I came here to confess. Should I remember to, at some point in the next few weeks to a month I'll probably toss my 2-cents into a short opinion. First I need to get used to not directly drawing on the screen all over again... it's been a while.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mimir posted:

I picked up a Huion H610 a few months back. It worked fine for me initially, but now the USB port is loose and keeps disconnecting. (It's not the drivers or the cable, I've replaced both.) How's their customer support? Or should I just spring for a Wacom at this point if I don't want to have this happen a second time?

Mine had some wiggle room from really shortly after I got it to maybe always having it. Not sure how bad yours is but if I rest mine on my lap or angled on the edge of a table without jostling the cable nothing really happens. If I'm fidgeting a bunch in my seat at the time, that's a constant unplug/replug because whenever it wiggles loose Windows plays both the disconnect and reconnect sounds and now the pen binds are all broken.

Funny, I carry it in my laptop bag for away use only, and I paid for the 2-year extended warranty with Amazon, but I've never capitalized on it. It was like $7-$9 for it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I didn't have that problem at all and I first tested the H610 on the PC I have my Cintiq on. Though the driver instructions said explicitly not to plug anything in until AFTER you install the drivers. I didn't tempt fate to find out why.

The only issue I had (other than a loose USB port :argh: ) was waiting the 6 months for Huion to find a way to support Sketchbook pro. There's a funny flag in the driver "Tablet PC Input" I think that Sketchbook needs on to work, but it also causes a deadzone among other annoyances in pretty much every other app. Also in Win8 you can't navigate anything with administrator level privilege on the tablet. But maybe that last one is true of a Wacom tablet too, can't say.

E: Cintiq is on the desktop running Win7, Huion I got for my laptop that runs Win8.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 10, 2015

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Two things about the Huion H610 Pro pen, one might be a repost.

1) The rubberized coating on the pen rubs off after a month or two where you hold it. Just smooth plastic rings now on any ridges where it's gripped.

2) When you wear the pen nib down, it literally just falls out of the pen and rolls around on the floor. Rather than the tip wearing down, the part that hugs against the barrel wears down. I found this out last night when I thought it snapped in two and opened the pen up (it slides apart with medium force) and tugged the wires out of the battery charger at the top. Oops. Only two tiny solder points or putting an extension wire inbetween, but typing this up for typing's sake nonetheless.

Been using the tablet for Maya since April or May of last year, this is the first pen nib to wear down.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Sleep/Hibernate on a desktop seems to do the same thing: Power down the machine meaning all the drives and fans are stopped. No noise, no heat, no power draw.

I just sleep my machine when I too am asleep.

Some used to argue that turning a machine off and on making it spin the drives to speed damages the motor as much as leaving it on and spinning, but I'm remembering a conversation from days past when Windows at least didn't have low-power modes for idle drives where they'd spin down :corsair:
No idea if that point was ever true or not and it doesn't matter anymore.

To un-derail the thread and probably bring up more gossip from a month ago in August: Tons of rumors (I think all sourced from a single Tech-Something site) that the Surface Pro 4 will be announced on Oct.6th and come out as soon as ~3 weeks from now. It's more of a hardware revision of the 3 with Win10 if those rumors are to be believed.

My laptop is only a ~1.5 years old, but I'm sorely tempted to find the scratch to get a Pro3 shortly after the Pro4 is released. Doesn't help that I ran into a friend from out of town a few weeks back and he had glowing opinions of the drat thing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

sigma 6 posted:

Thank you for this but I am very keen on CPU and GPU over anything else. I will be using this for zbrush, maya, and photoshop, so performance is key. Looks like I have to pay extra for a NVIDIA GPU which kind of sucks. When you account for that, it costs about as much as a cintiq companion. The cintiq companion 2 is great because it can plug into any workstation and use the power of that workstation. Also, wacom digitizers are still the best in the biz. I didn't know the surface book screen is bigger than the cintiq companion though. That is interesting.

The surface book mount - where the screen attaches to the keyboard - looks really questionable. Why the obvious gap there?

Lastly, does anyone know of any great cybermonday deals on either the Surfacebook or the Cintiq Companion?

THANKS!

I'm eyeing the SP4 i5/256 for Maya myself. But... $1400 (1300+100KB) vs. $1900 is tougher to justify over a $1500 laptop and just replacing the $20 pen on my Huion610 (the pen is actually falling apart after ~18 months).

Is a dedicated GPU really worth the extra $500? ($200 if you go with a i7/256 SP4.)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Sounds like an advertisement to replace the battery on my laptop (it's a lemon and out of warranty) and get a replacement Huion pen.

Maybe next model... the daydream continues.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I wanted to pack both my tablet and laptop into a single unit that's also slightly lighter and takes up less table space. But if the dGPU (what a weird acronym) is de facto required for Maya, and I'm not too savvy of a 2D artist, well I've got no business getting the Surface Book at that price.

Also I swear everyone I can find through Google is just modeling in Maya, and not animating. It appears like animation sites were all for the SP3, but that market itself is so small I'm not even finding a lot of anecdotal evidence it worked out for anyone a year later.

At some point in time I can see myself getting the SP4, but it plummeted down the list until further notice.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Over XMas I chatted with the friend who initially pimped out the Surface series to me. Learned a few things.

First off, he got really into the idea because I'd been using a Galaxy Note 10.1 to draw on for a while. He didn't remember it was an Android tablet in the time between him moving to SoCal for work and buying the Pro 3.

I said the lack of memory and the resolution on my Android tablet led me to downgrade its use to comic book reader, and he said his Pro3 met a similar fate because of the horsepower compared to laptops (or so that's how I remember). Then on the topic of using Maya on a 3 or 4 he said it wouldn't be awful, but would require it being plugged in the entire time.

You can also see the tablets at your neighborhood cafe in small numbers. Usually however you'll see students using it to take notes like a normal laptop. Outside of probably one professional I've chatted with (out of only a few mind you), they all use Macs and a portable Wacom :shrug:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've had my Huion H610pro for 23 months according to the invoice, and it's been a really good run with the original pen even (which is about to fall apart any day now). But due to the chronic problem where slight wiggles in the USB cord cause it to partially break contact and require me to quickly plug it back in 1-3 times in a row for it to work normally again, I'm going to drift back to a Wacom for now. The problem at least feels like it's getting worse and I think I've gotten my $80 out of it anyway.

Is the Intuos Pro medium worth that absurdly high price tag, or should I look at the 4? I saw earlier in the thread that the 3 is mostly 4:3 ratio with rare 16:9, so that's out, and it looks like the 5 is sorta meh with the Pro being an update to make it not suck.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I have that model and one day in a fit of rage I glued the drat cord in place. Problem solved! Supposedly the newer Wacom models have similar issues with the port. Anyway, worst case is that the tablet doesn't work, which you're fairly close to anyway.

Oh for gently caress's sake, Wacom too? :bang:

Exaggeration aside, it really sounds like the problem is the mini-USB port not being designed for so much cord wiggle from re-positioning the tablet. Pro does have a wireless option and battery... meh.

KinkyJohn posted:

you can remap the 4:3 tablets to only read a 16:9 area on the surface. it works fine

I did this with my old Intuos1 back in like 2009. Sure it worked fine, but I really never liked it. Geeze... now I can't remember where that relic is. On the other hand the 3 is like 1/3rd the cost of a Pro.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I ended up hitting up Ebay for a 6x11 Intuos3. I thought I way overpaid at $120 shipped (unlikely, but if someone here sold one from Cincinnati, hey buddy), but the one I tried bidding on a day before went to $94+$20 shipping, so maybe I did fine for this week's prices.

Checking the measurements though, I think the tablet is going to be a loving beast... it should fit in my backpack anyway.

Teflon Don posted:

My Intuos4 Pro came with a faulty usb port so they replaced the entire unit and sent me a free wireless adapter too.

How is the wireless device on battery life, and any latency? If this one doesn't work out for me, might as well start asking about the next one now.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Inzombiac posted:

I think I paid something nuts like $400 for mine way back in the day. Still works great but, yeah, it's not small.

You weren't kidding. I think it's 1.5x the size of my H610P and twice as heavy. Fits in my backpack though, so time to see how it works out to step back a generation or three in hardware.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Jelly Omelettle posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I got ready to get an intuos 3 but I only have windows 10,so I'd rather have something that will have support for awhile. The Huion H610 Pro looks pretty nice, and fits much better in my budget. I'll think on it for a day or two, but I think I'll go with that. Thanks again.

Thought I replied to you earlier in the week, must've gotten distracted and closed the window.

I traded in my H610P for a used Intuos3 widescreen model a month or two back and prefer it for the most part. Better pen feel, and I like the "eraser" on the back. No need to tap the tray icon to enable admin access for the driver so it can interact with the task manager.

I'm gonna be sad if this driver stops altogether functioning in Windows. Also, as I said in previous comments: goddamn is this thing big and heavy. Only downside though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Heads up: Clip Studio Paint is on sale for $20

It's $87 for the ultra-deluxe ex version (instead of $220). But wasn't this also the Manga/Clip Studio where the changes were so minimal the EX was barely needed?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Futaba Anzu posted:

EX gets you comic sequence capabilities and being able to animate more than 12 (or 24, whatever) frames in animation mode.
Meh, I suck at drawing anyway.

Koramei posted:

it also gets you some sick anime classrooms and schoolgirls to pose
Nevermind. Now maybe senpai will notice me!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Can confirm the awesome. I picked up the EX edition when it was $87 and I've been loving it, despite probably only using features in the normal.

Gonna check out those tutorials though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Does this cause an infinite and constant scroll down action, or is that a different problem I'm having every few weeks?

Note, only my laptop does this, but I think it started when I got the Intuos3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Teaches of Peaches posted:

To follow up on this. I've had the Huion for about 2 weeks now and I love it. It was exactly what I expected and I've had zero issues with it. It's lets me play around in Photoshop and doodle like I wanted. I don't have any point of reference to how it compares to other tablets but for the money I don't have any complaints. I can recommend it to someone that is in the same position as me.

Only issues I ever had with mine are in my post history.
1) USB plug to tablet wears out after a 1-1.5 years of semi-regular use, but multiple people said the Wacoms suffer the same problem.
2) When the nib gets old the pen sort of freaks out and acts weird to not work at all on and off. I wouldn't have guessed it needing changing if it hadn't just fallen out while I wiggling things around
3) The replacement pens (stylus) are $20 and it sort of shows. Not the best construction and the grip rubber where you hold it wears down pretty quickly. Though I didn't care.

4) I wonder how many times I've made this same drat post... ugh.

So, does anyone have opinions on the Wacom Mobilestudio Pro? Facebook spams posts about it constantly because several people on my feed drool over the idea of it. Pretty sure none have purchased it yet (if it's even released).