Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Colonial Air Force posted:

^^ 18mm what the gently caress?

It's basically GW's Heroic 28mm scale (that is, 32mm or whatever they're up to now) for 15mm, except they tell you they're doing it rather than calling it by the original size before the scale creep set it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Biblical is great fun. Chariots everywhere and if you're in a multi-period ruleset like FoG, all your units pretty much suck. This is fun, really.

I should get Hail Caesar at some point. FoG sucks the fun out of games, but it's all the local people play for ancients/medieval and I need a better ruleset. Too Fat Lardies don't have anything pre-Napoleonics, Two Hour Wargames' fantasy-but-adaptable set is "too random" for the tournament-obsessives, and I haven't heard anything about the old-looking Peter Pig ancient/medieval rules. Don't suppose anyone here's played the Peter Pig ones, actually?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

MrGreenShirt posted:

Good, good. One step closer to my dream of reenacting the american civil war with gnomes vs. orcs.
Sounds like a future game from the Flintloque guys. They already do Napoleonic fantasy, and I think they have an American range - AWI, probably.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Does anyone use rare earth magnets for transport, on the bases? I'm not sure how they compare to just using magnetic sheeting in a metal box. Would they be too strong, enough that picking the mini up risks debasing it? I use some teeny 2mm x .5mm ones for some 1:600/1:700ish stuff, but not for bases on anything else.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Mikael Kreoss posted:

This unironically sounds amazing FYI. Warp Incursion during WW2, all hell breaks loose. :allears:
I have high hopes for IABSM combined with the upcoming Get Your Fricking Tentacle Out Of My Face.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
You're interested in IDF & moderns, Vietnam and terrible web design? Good news! Peter Pig is the company for all your awesome miniatures and hideous interface needs.

I used to have to highlight the page to read some of the items, but that seems to have been fixed eventually.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

Store has Warlord Game's 28mm ww2 Bolt Action line for 20% off while it's here. Is there a compelling ruleset for 28mm WW2 skirmish games? I'd love to grab a box of Germans and a box of Americans for some casual dice rolling, but it hinges on their being a good ruleset that isn't spergy as gently caress. From the lack of discussion of that scale here, I'm guessing there isn't a cut and dry answer.

NUTS! is a great choice. It assumes about a squad to a platoon a side for a game, though. You can try the basic mechanics in Chain Reaction - NUTS! adds campaigns, more missions and more details aimed at the period. Also, vehicles.

Once you get your head around the system it plays quickly, and it's great for multiplayer co-op games against scenario-generated opponents if you want something other than head-to-head.

Most people use 20mm or 15mm, I think, but it works fine at 28mm without changing the distances. If you want to use a big table (it assumes 3' square, but doesn't worry too much) you could double everything, but it's not really necessary.

There's also USE ME, from 15mm.co.uk. As their name implies they are meant for 15mm figures, but eh, they'll work fine. Quick, simple, and I'm writing this without ever having read the rulebook, but I've used a couple of other books in the line (SF & Post-Apocalypse) and the basics don't change. The book is available as a tiny (but very legible) A6 booklet or a PDF.

Both of those sets are sperg-free. They might look a bit too simplified at first, even, but they play drat well.

A slightly more fiddly game you might like is Flying Lead from Ganesha Games, a shootier version of their really popular Song of Blades & Heroes fantasy skirmish set.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The Fantasy Flight Games wargame uses 20mm, I think. Soft plastic and unpainted, but it does exist. The rules are based on C&C/Battlelore, with a few tweaks to make leadership more character-based.

It's probably not what you want, but it is a Game of Thrones miniatures game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Jim Wallman's War in Hell (PDF) isn't totally serious, and is fairly abstract, but you can mix modern, sf, historical and fantasy figures in the legions and choirs.

He has a lot of games, and they're well worth browsing no matter what period or genre you're into.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Not sure what the new edition says, but in the first edition they suggested doubling the ranges for 20mm-28mm to make it look better. The rules still work fine, though. I'd say 20mm is borderline, because the basic ranges are meant to look right with 15mm figures, and a lot of those are more like 18mm.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
QRF seem to have some, but I'm not too clear on model numbers. They're listed under Modern, not Post-War with the rest of the Vietnam stuff, but the descriptions seem about right.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Or there's Bag the Hun. Great game. Needs a hex-mat though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Is http://war-bases.co.uk/ the best option if I want a ton of thin DBA-sized lasercut bases, but not pay Litko for shipping across the pond?
They've always been good for me, for standard sizes and a few weird custom bases.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

So, where do I find the rules for DBA? I tried searching, and all I found were a few unclear websites with late-90s web design :v:
Amazon? The one seller is the actual publisher.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
25mm, 28mm, 30mm, 32mm... who cares about scale creep, it's whether you're "accurate" or heroic scale that really matters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
FFT is surprisingly light and fast? It's a giant book because it has stats for a whole bunch of tanks from WW2 to modern, including variants, and force organisation notes for a lot of stuff. It also has quite a lot of optional rules that you really don't need, like tactical nuclear weapons and gas, but even those are designed to be pretty quick. The force organisations are a handy reference if you want to know what's in, for example, an 80s Danish tank battalion, and what sort of attached extra companies you might want.

This guy has a bunch of battle reports with great (3mm) eye-candy - the default scaling in 6mm would have a single vehicle on those bases representing the platoon, but there are optional rules in the book for one base representing one vehicle rather than 3-5.

I haven't played it in a year or so, though, and don't remember much.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
All tanks can be good tanks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

JcDent posted:

Why am I surprised, BA has everything (except for a decent range of plastics).
Are the BA plastics bad?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Serotonin posted:

You've reminded me I need to build and paint by Brother Vinni Ragnar Lothbrok model that arrived last May when I was in a coma lol.

Hint - prepare for a world of wtf if you go check Brother Vinnis website.
:siren: DO NOT DO THIS AT WORK :siren:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

goodness posted:

Is their a decent fantasy 15mm selection? On deciding what scale I want to do ancients in I also want to mix in some fantasy elements, like a captured cyclops for a Roman army

Rebel Minis'll do you Romans on Wolves. Werewolves too, but they don't look particularly Roman. Note that their website was until recently known for having terrible paint jobs that make the miniatures look far worse than they are. Some of their modern horror stuff looked like blobs until they had a decent painter redo the promo shots.

Splintered Light do a ton of neat things.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Five Men in Normandy is pretty cool with bigger toy soldiers, if you don't mind only having a squad or less per side. Doesn't need that much space normally.

But really, anything "gets played" in 1/35 if you supply the models and run a fun game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Ilor posted:

"They're called 'binomial nomographs,' and if your game doesn't have them, it's totally scrub tier."
:goonsay:
Having flashbacks to that time I tried to teach myself Squadron Strike and Birds of Prey.

Nomographs are good and cool, but please get someone else to write your rulebooks. Please.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

For a moment I thought this was some weird new look for Hammer's Slammers combat cars.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I've seen a game played on a flat board painted glossy brown, with the odd regular hill or rock lump, some buildings on stilts, walkways, and barges. It was basically Ambush Alley with a small boat with a machine gun playing the part of a floating humvee, and more limited movement for infantry.

The Scene do some stuff aimed at post-apoc boating, if you're into 15mm.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

JcDent posted:

I had this quibble with Black Powder. Like, you aren't using dudes 1:1, right? And terrain is scaled to your dudes, otherwise it would look like giant mecha regiment game. But if the dudes aren't 1:1 yet terrain is 1:1, what kind of off-scale insanity are we playing.

1:1 FOR LIFE (sings praises to that one blog where FFOT3 armies have 1:1 representation on bases)
There's one guy I've seen on TMP doing 1:1 SYW, with paper cut-out miniatures rather than lead, but... It's still ridiculously impressive.

And you know Tango01? The "[random piece of news or photo from a press release, blog, or other thread], Amicalement, Armand" guy? He is apparently too shy to post photos of his month-long 1:1 1:72 battles with 50k figures.

Really though, get the frontage about right in relation to movement, firing, and other such scales, and adjust the rest to toy soldier taste. Some people are fine with single ranks of figures, others have to have two ranks even though it just makes lines even more disproportionately deep.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

lilljonas posted:

How the hell does Tango01 have the time to do anything else, given how much he spam posts on TMP? (he does post good finds now and then)

He's like the the histori-grog version of Dad gay, so what.
Glad you like them my friend!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

I do appreciate some of the armandposting, but I do kind of wish he'd post more of his own cool stuff. I mean, I just stumbled across that comment of his earlier today, I had no idea he did anything but post like an RSS grogbot

quote:

Actually… I have wargamed 22 of them (one per year)… and I still enjoyed them like the first day!…

of course the first ones were not about that amount….I have been adding thousands of figures every year to the total of more than 50,000 of them….
This is the Armand I want to see more of.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Serotonin posted:

There's lots of places selling laser cut mdf bases. Go to place in the UK is probably Warbases.co.uk. I'm sure American posters can chip in with local sources.
That's war-bases.co.uk, and they're pretty good. Closed over the holiday, but they've been good to me. Done some custom stuff too.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The Warlord brits are half kneeling, half standing, if that matters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'd assume the best way to play Team Yankee in 6mm, if ground/figure scale issues make it look wrong in 15mm, would be to just put smaller models on the same bases.

So it should play identically to 15mm TY, and better than 28mm TY.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think you need some Russian Shermans. Just a couple, it'll really round things off.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

What's Tiny Tanks?
A blogger who posts photo battle reports of very pretty games. The recent stuff's been 6mm so you might have to look back a bit, but there's a lot there.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

no i refuse, i've had to put up with army websites for years and these are even worse

looking at you peter pig
Speaking of Peter Pig, they're doing a preorder discount on the new edition of their Vietnam rules, Men of Company B. Anyone played the original?

They have a mostly-readable info page here.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Oh, bugger.

Warlord have the pre-order up for their rerelease of the WGF plastic War of Spanish Succession minis. Only an army box so far, but I assume they'll do the individual horse, foot & guns boxes later.

£85 gets you 96 infantry, 12* cavalry, and three artillery pieces with crews. They're saying 15 cavalry, but three of them are the mounted officers from the artillery sprues.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Commissar Kip posted:

So I was looking around for paints or paintsets for my new little Napoleonic dudes and some blogs talk about how good Wargames Foundry's paint sets are - but holy poo poo are these loving sets expensive.
They're big full pots, and a little cheaper when you buy a big set. They're also convenient if you like triads.

But, yeah. It's a shame they don't put them on sale occasionally, like they do with their figures.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I built a huge rear end 8x4 table and I'm really debating what game I should turn it into. I might make it a 15mm Team Yankee table, then just build a hybrid SAGA/WW2 table in 28mm.
3mm napoleonics or tanks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

1:2400 naval battles
1:6000 ww2 boats. They're cheap and cool and you can get printable carrier deck stickers!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

spectralent posted:

Oh, and yeah, the rules are going to be full of asiatic hordes "charging into machineguns" type stuff. A couple of weeks ago Phil was on record as saying the cold war soviet army didn't have recon "like the west would recognise" because their recon troops didn't use cover and just drove directly into strongpoints so the commander could see where the guns were coming from, and hence none of them should get the scouts special rule.
And then the survivors retreat into a hail of machinegun fire from commissars, right? Anyone who survives that goes into a penal unit, is fitted with a bomb collar, and sent to walk towards the enemy with a stick painted like a rifle. If they get close to the enemy, boom!

Ugh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I like Miniature Wargames with Battlegames. It's not exactly hard hitting but they'll at least say "I liked these rules, except for <list of things> all of which I house ruled".
Back to Miniature Wargames now, and it's lost something in the transition. Hopefully Treadaway gets it sorted out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

spectralent posted:

FoW has soviet units where your core picks are two groups of 21 stands of 15mm infantry :negative:
Yeah but only 11 of them are armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That makes me feel guilty for buying another ruleset and then dropping the project for a new shiny thing. I swear I'll play you some day, Prehistoric Settlement!