Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

In case anyone was following the development of the Grumbler Miniatures range, the online store is up at last.

They are some really nice looking 6mm Napoleonics, right now only the Old Guard are for sale. I've ordered some and will report back on quality once I get them in.

https://grumblerminiatures.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that firearms were rapidly outstripping the defensive capabilities of even plate armour. Infantry in particular opted for mobility and flexibility over cumbersome armour to improve their effectiveness in the field.

But the truth is that in the 16th c. it only looks like a lot of people aren't wearing any armour, since lots of soldiers did wear mail or segmented armour but just covered it with garments.

In truth, I think it really came down to cost. Even in the Thirty Years War it was easy enough to armour troopers to be highly effective against arquebus/musket fire. However, it wasn't worth the cost. I think I read that for the cost of a regiment of armoured cuirassiers you could field 7 unarmoured regiments of horse.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I know it's an overdone topic and predictably depressing, but love to see battlefront releasing a new range of tins with custom dice and counters for all the WW2 factions: American, British, German, Soviet, Waffen-SS.

I wonder which one is going to sell like crazy...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My https://grumblerminiatures.com/ Old Guard arrived today, just in time for eight days off! I'm going to get photos up tomorrow maybe, they are hands down the best sculpts I've seen in 6mm. The details on them are insanely crisp.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mr.Booger posted:

This right here, the civil war is interesting, but being from the mid-west, there are some people who want to play the confederacy a little too enthusiastically. I really want to play Longstreet (Sam Mustafa's ruleset), bought some minis and got the rules/cards, but I just don't want to play the conflict itself as its too polarizing still (which is just sad). I imagine ww2 gaming isn't super popular in Germany either. When there is a distinct "bad guy" in historical gaming its gets weird. When everyone is the bad guy, or all sides were ambiguously grey area its easier to play a faction/side that you may not ideologically align with.

I think (also as an American) that's why I am so enamored with the Napoleonic era, the Seven Years war, War of Spanish Succession, etc. Time and distance, not having a direct tie to much of the conflict. Probably why ACW is popular in Europe and Australia.

I found a good group that just doesn't play ACW or WW2 to weed out these people automatically.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

spectralent posted:

Did anyone ever adapt Epic to historicals? I know there were some 40kish adaptations of WW1 and WW2 games (and then you have BA and FoW which both take liberal inspiration).

I've been toying with using a loose adaptation for the Russian Civil War.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Finally found a good method for turning 28mm models into 6mm strips. I had no problem using Blender to put some models on a strip, but making them actually look good at that scale was an issue. For instance, these Carthaginian spearmen from 3dbreed.es, the spears are decently thick at 28mm, but at 6mm they're just like the width of a hair (on the left). BUT, I finally found a good workflow for beefing everything up, and I'm super happy with the results (on the right).

For comparison, a close up of a French infantry (I think) that I got from Irregular Miniatures. I... I think I took a picture of the front. Buying 6mm is such a crapshoot, but now I can tweak to my heart's content :D

Irregular miniatures is aptly named

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

lenoon posted:

6mm is widespread where I am, but having recently discovered magister militum’s 3mm napoleonics that’s where the money is imo. Absolutely beautiful.

Wow those are nice, I'm deathly afraid I need to put together a 3mm army or four...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I've been reading Redcoats by Richard Holmes, a book about the history of the infantry in the British Army while wearing the red uniforms. There is a huge amount about the period 1750-ish to the lead-up to the Revolutionary wars. Other than a notional acceptance there must have been a transitionary period and some familiarity with the terms 'Marlburian Period' and 'Seven Years War' I realised I know almost nothing about the warfare in that period.

The introduction to the book suggests that though the details would definltey vary, in broad strokes there would be little to distinguish between a British Army of the 1750 and 1800, except some details of the uniforms, and more artillery and skirmishing in the later period.

Is there a reason why it seems to be significantly underrepresented compared to periods before (ECW/TYW) and after (Napoleonic)? I'm not going to experiment with anything at all until I've a) finished my ECW armies and b) run a campaign with them, but how much water does that statement hold? I mean who doesn't love a tricorn hat and it would be nice for my British to have opponents other than the French in the peninsular theatre/waterloo?

Speaking of underrepresented theatres, I picked up "The War of 1812" which is a block wargame and my lord, it's wonderful - I think it is definitely a better stand-in for miniatures than 2mm blobs:

I have their game of the Battle for Quebec, it is such a great simple game. I love playing it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I understand that Quebec was the original, and 1812 a variant - much like how for the medieval era Hammer of the Scots is original and Richard III is a variant. I guess on this theme of block war-games we are overlapping the Board Wargames thread but as I mentioned earlier: I think if I were to continue with 2mm I think in retrospect I'd prefer to use blocks, even if they require a sabot base. They are easier to identify, track casualties, proficiency, etc. than 2mm figures IMO.

I really like the blocks for board games, but even the 2mm stuff is nicer looking than blocks imo. However, I'm biased as I spend way more time painting and building units than playing with them.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

alg posted:

god drat the Historicon website is a nightmare. I have no idea how all those boomers navigate it.

I checked it out and it honestly doesn't seem that bad? Now let me just pop over to the Irregular Miniatures website...

Also having bought a couple Italian Wars armies off them, you cannot say they didn't warn you.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 6, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Pendraken's "Cold War Commander" is pretty popular. I haven't played but I have read through the rules and it seems pretty decent.
https://www.pendraken.co.uk/cold-war-commander-1076-c.asp

I'm due to play a game of this shortly, I'll report back. It should happen sometime next month. The guy I'm playing with seems to be a huge fan of those rules.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Cold War Commander interest

I got my game of Cold War Commander in today. I found it very enjoyable and very easy to learn. We just played the base game, no special rules, only armour and infantry. Command and Control was very simple, you have commanders that issue orders to formations. You keep activating a unit from the same commander until it fails, each successive roll being harder than the last. An initiative system ensures that units stuck in close to enemies won't just do nothing if you were to roll command and fail the first test. Overall lethality is extremely low, with units refreshing their hits and suppression at the end of your turn. You tend to push enemies back, only destroying them with a concentration of co-ordinated fire. The game did lack flavour though, my t-55s didn't really feel different from his M-60s, beyond their slightly better armour save. Some stats seemed quite off. My infantry armed with RPG-7s were by far my best unit, vastly outshooting my t-55s (tougher too), and my BMPs couldn't engage infantry as they had no weapon to shoot at soft targets.

Our game was a ton of fun, I led a small Soviet mech-infantry battle group tasked with deploying bridges to cross the Rhine. The board heavily favoured defence, I had a massive amount of open ground to cross. (this is one thing I should have corrected, but I seded board set-up to my opponent as I'd never played before.) A single M-60 held 2 T-55, 3 BMPs, and 7 infantry for half the game on my left flank. It was dug in and I had zero cover on the approach. I had to get it out of there as it could cover almost all the ground I needed to cross. I managed to suppress it eventually, but then in a critical fail my guys shot each other to pieces. I lost everything on that flank but 4 infantry. Despite that it was a ton of fun. I never even got close to the Rhine, only managing at best to make it like 45cm out of my deployment zone.

Pros:
-played very fast
-easy to learn/hard to master
-intuitive CnC system
-Simple set of core rules that handle the period well enough
-flexible list building
-very low lethality, more about maneuvering
-an insane amount of optional rules

Cons:
-lacked flavour, units on both sides felt the same
-Infantry feel like tanks, tanks feel inferior except when on the move
-bad luck is not recoverable, i didn't have re-rolls or ways to mitigate terrible rolls
-many optional rules that seem very complicated.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

It was my first game so I was mostly going with what I was told, and I was told that and the unit did have a #, maybe it was an odd variant?

Arquinsiel posted:

For a game with suppression as a core mechanic you absolutely want to represent the reluctance of Pvt. Dipshit to roll the dice on HEAT not hurting him as it sails through his squad's position.

I was a soldier, as antiquated as a BMP is I would absolutely never bet my life against a 75mm gun on an armoured vehicle.

Overall it was a fun game I will play again, but I need to really dig into the rules and build my own list next time.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dudes rock

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I decided to mount my 1/700 Black Seas 3rd rate British ship on a little sea base:

that looks really nice

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fearless posted:

The breech mechanisms on a variety of artillery systems will devour fingers or even entire hands or arms of unwary gunners as well. Training can help mitigate this, but all it takes is a moment of laxity...

Hell, I hosed my hand up bad once changing barrels on a FN MAG, the army is mad dangerous even without folks shooting at ya.

Someone once tried to tell me the T-72 autoloader routinely took loaders arms off and fired them. I think my response was "you don't actually believe that do you?"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Not a tanker, but I think shell and charge being separate became standard fairly early in the cold war. Nonetheless, it is an absurd thing to claim, but you still hear these "stories". They are always fun to hear, but in reality the only thing I've ever heard that sounds credible from all sides is complaints about the AC never being up to the job.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I only use Facebook to sell my art and organize playing wargames, that is it. I so wish I could be rid of it, but it is where both things I sink my spare time into are best serviced.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Consimworld makes Peter Pig look like web 2.0

I think you might have that reversed, consimworld looks old, but seems functional and like it was updated in at least the last decade. Peter Pig continues to be visually grating at best, still looks like it is 1998.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I bought from irregular once, Spanish and French Italian Wars. They weren't horrible once painted, but were rather irregular, can't say they didn't warn me. I tossed them when I moved a couple months back. They are the only minis I've ever thrown away, I couldn't give them away.

The sculpts are so messy and lumpy I needed to give them a black wash before sorting them as I just couldn't tell what anything was suppossed to be.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

This was a ... I think French Napoleonic line infantry block? Maybe ACW?

I literally have no idea what I'm looking at and I'm only 30% sure I even took a picture of the front.

oof, mine were better than that, but not by much. Wash it in black and see if that helps you identify it at all.

Edit: my partner has identified it as the elephant's foot from Chernobyl.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

after so many delays in my life i'm finally finding time to work on my ecw project again. still need to finish with the coarse flock for the base but i finished this 15 mm regiment of horse. almost have 1 army for pikemans lament done now

I love these, great job. I've been heroically resisting getting into pike & shot era games, I don't need more games, but those look so good...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think your comment on home resin casting is correct. I got into casting as a kid/young teenager in the late 90s and early 00s. Sculpting and casting stuff yourself was rock bottom cheap, but I never knew anyone else that did it. Anything technical is going to come with a pretty steep barrier to entry. I think you have to have a baseline level of interest in developing those technical skills. Before 3D printing you either had to recast something, or sculpt an original, both of these tap into skills generally associated with the arts. Your average wargaming nerd 25 years ago doesn't tend to have lots of familiarity with the arts, still don't in my experience. Look at how adoption of airbrushes is only now gaining popularity. However, 3D printing is now on the scene, and it taps into computer based technical skills. Something the wargaming crowd tends to have a lot more familiarity and interest in. I think we'll see way more people making their own minis, but the mass of wargamers will continue to purchase minis from others, and that will be split between prints and traditional castings.

I'm also still a little suspicious of prints, in art people went nuts with resin when it first became available. However, these early works deteriorated rapidly, and people still are suspicious of the resin art because of it. I worry that I might spend a ton of time painting something only to have something go wrong with how the piece ages or paint adheres to the resin.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've got printed minis from 3 years ago still sitting on my shelf with no issues, so they'll last for 3 years at least :v:

I think it took about a decade at least. I have lots of 6mm - 10mm prints with paint on them, so I'm taking the gamble that it will be fine, but the larger stuff I'm still mostly painting castings.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah, people need to print their own stls and use them. It is one thing to be able to sculpt it, it needs to be able to be used.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

What are people's opinion of Tamiya 1/35 kits? I just kitbashed a flak 36/37 with a GW basilisk and was pretty underwhelmed by the tamiya kit (don't worry, the 30 year old basilisk kit was worse). Lots of tiny plastic rods, some broken before I even clipped it. Tons of flash and the mold lines were excessive because the molds appeared to be misaligned when it was injected, it wasn't a ton, but definitely a sizable fraction of a millimetre. I think I last bought a kit of theirs decades ago, but I remembered it fondly. I use a lot of tamiya hobby stuff, and always can count on quality, but this kit wasn't great. That said, the level of detail and accuracy is perfect. Maybe that is what matters most and some extra clean up is not a factor for people that want detail and accuracy.

Was my experience par for the course, or did I just get unlucky?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

haha ok that was kind of what I thought happened. I've always thought of them as the gold standard in hobby stuff. I looked at reviews and the only negatives I saw were people complaining they didn't have the swastikas in the kit, but I had swastika decals. I assume they clip those off the sheet if you are in a market with laws about them.

I might convert another basilisk, I'll get the same kit again if so and will be able to compare. Also if I get another one I'll have enough shells and crates to start an ammo depot.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I found somewhere that the kit I built is roughly 50 years old, so that makes sense. It still made a fantastic conversion.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Endman posted:

I'm glad people are enjoying it, but there's no way in hell I'm going to stare at a physical wargame through my phone. Part of the joy of the medium for me is that it's purely analogue.

preach

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I used to play with some folks that had a "no confederates and no nazis" rule, you could not bring either to a game. At first I found it a bit odd, sometimes we'd have some pretty contrived ww2 games, but they were some of the chillest drama free wargamers I've known.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

Mechanically, WW2 FoF is just a little more lethal with worse first aid.

From a gaming perspective though, the game's biases can lead to some very unsatisfying scenarios mapped to WW2.

Flipping the irregulars to "good guys" highlights how weird the game is about them, and it's easy to get a scenario where Maquis guerrillas can't actually kill the SS convoy they've ambushed. Or veteran Red Army soldiers in Berlin are nearly immune to volkstrum bullets.

That is just good modelling of soviet magical realism, a real comrade simply knows reactionary bullets cannot overcome their zeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpzkD94tP2M&t=5177s

I'm looking to do the Russian Civil War in 10mm, what ruleset would folks recommend? The guy I'm playing with wants to use Blitzkrieg Commander, I can't see why not, but I figured I'd check. I enjoyed Cold War Commander enough to play again, so I think that should work.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 29, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cessna posted:

Red Actions by The Perfect Captain.

It's free, here.

Oh no, download links all seem broken? Maybe it is just me?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

You're too good!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

army powerpoints

Edit: This made me flashback to being force fed criminally boring powerpoints in boot while also being extremely tired from sleep deprivation. So hard in fact that I accidentally emptyquoted your post.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 2, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've never really ventured into TMP. It is so unintuitive to use that I don't know what it really does. Is it a forum?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Siivola posted:

Allegedly, this is a clipping from a 1990 White Dwarf

Ok, I want to see a Land Raider that has a boiler and stoking team inside.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/an-80-austrian-napoleonic-cavalry/

This one guy has it too, looks like a carbine strapped to something. I want to say a stabilizing rod like arequbusiers would use, but this seems way too late for that. Also he doesn't appear to be a cuirassier, so maybe someone is mixing up kit a little on the sculpt?

It appears that piece of kit is associated most with Dragoons and Chevauxlegers, I can't seem to narrow it down any further though.

Another edit: Scabbard and carbine strapped together. Whoever designed those minis appears to have turned the carbine into another tube, likely due to scale.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 17, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Amazing, now I know.

So spike and carbine strapped together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cessna posted:

Just FYI, the spikes used for this weren't that big:

This was also my understanding of spiking. However, looking around it seems spiking equipment varied drastically. I saw that French units at times didn't have issued spiking equipment, and were encouraged to bring headless nails to battle to use as you describe. I can imagine driving a spike down the barrel and into the breech would be equally effective and would be able to be used on a larger variety of guns. Imagine if all the spiking nails didn't fit right, you might not spike it effectively. A spike down the barrel would always work regardless of who made the cannon.