Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Leperflesh posted:

In the end, the important lesson is this: when a stock moves, everyone invents a story about why. The analysts, the news, the insiders, whoever: they are all inventing reasons that seem to make sense.
I was about to try and figure out why CTL is taking a dump today considering their yield but I think the reason is pretty much this ^

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fougera posted:

Tell me why long LB at these levels is a bad idea. 6-7% dividend, and margins should improve just cycling out of lovely products and promotions.
I'm with you on this, they are down 19% in a month so I picked some up on sale; it seems like they've bottomed out and I am a dividend guy

Then again I keep holding CTL as a small dog hoping the blood will stop so :shrek:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Please tell me CSIQ is not actually down 6% today simply because there is a loving eclipse

e: nm it's probably because Barclay's downgraded it

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 21, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LLCoolJD posted:

GME :prepop: Fat dividend and a potential holiday season bounce from now-cheap PS4s and the coveted Nintendo products. It almost looks cheap now. Not buying any, though.
I love their dividend but would not buy, I think even xmas shopping grandmas now realize they can just buy their gifts at Amazon. Gamestop is the next Radio Shack

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Butcher posted:

Found this in the Bad With Money thread. At what point does a person realize they are absolutely terrible at stock picking and would be better off just closing their eyes and picking tickers at random?

:trumppop:

Every time I start to get mad at myself for buying STX over the summer I'm going to just look at this image instead

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Did I miss something, why is LB finally coming out of the shitter

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Time to short EFX

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rocks posted:

I just opened an e trade account and put $1,000 in it. What do I buy
Hello friend have you heard of the latest craze called Bitcoin

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Butcher posted:

It doesn't really work with $1k, but with at least $3k, an actual fun way to dip your toes in with low risk and get a taste for poo poo is to wait for a market dip, by a US total market ETF, then wait for it to climb to get up 4%, then sell. With ~$20 commission coming and going, you take home $100.
Serious question if you are dipping your toes why would you not use a brokerage that has commissions 500% lower than this or just Robinhood

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

California wildfires :tif:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

take the loan and invest it all in GBTC

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

OPTT randomly jumped 30% after hours so I had to take my robin hood gold trial so I could cash out :captainpop:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Things are on sale today :homebrew:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Looking forward to when the A.I. starts HFT on trash biotech stocks then throws itself off the roof of a tall building after losing everything

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bought 20 shares of the AI controlled ETF. All hail our robot overlords

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MMM gapped up huge and I forgot to buy it yesterday :(

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Everything's on sale again :homebrew:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jack Daniels posted:

(FORWARD) GUIDANCE
What's your favorite way of researching/tracking this indicator? I know you're a finviz guy but I don't see it on there.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I never thought I'd be closely following a chicken making corporation but welp thanks PPC for the +64% this year

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Is there a trading platform/service that will allow me to do the following:

- buy fractional shares (ie, $10 worth of google)

- buy automatically every day/week/month/whatever (ie every monday buy me $10 worth of google)

- hopefully without transaction fees?

Basically, I want to buy individual stocks in the same way I give more money to the mutual fund company I work with. I understand that my mutual fund company charges me a fee in % terms rather than transaction fees, but at the low overall value/frequent buys I want to do, I'd rather work with a % rather than a per-trade fee.

Does that exist?
Folio does this I think but it's $29 per month and I'm not 100% sure they do individual stocks. Stash does it for ETFs at $1 per month. Betterment might also be worth a look

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LLCoolJD posted:

Any guesses on what Apple will do with its $250,000,000,000 in cash?
I'm sure they'll create lots of jobs with it :smugdon:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Buy RGR I guess god bless :911:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kevyn posted:

Why doesn't E-Trade list WEED?
Pretty sure you can't buy Canadian stocks directly from E*Trade any more but you can buy OTC (TWMJF)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

PPC up 6.66% premarket, thanks chicken-eating persons

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well gently caress I just bought a Roku yesterday

Wish I'd bought $ROKU instead

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Goodpancakes posted:

I want to know this too. How is it better then a smart TV
Hisense and TCL tv's actually have Roku inside them! :wth:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

skooma512 posted:

Is there any downside to using Robinhood? My OptionsHouse got moved to Etrade and the idea of not paying commissions is appealing.
You can't buy foreign stocks and OTCs (yet) but otherwise RH is really good

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LLCoolJD posted:

Yup. It's 52 GOP to 48 Democrats in the Senate. I would consider McCain a likely defector and who knows who else might bail on it over the state tax issue, or over the budget deficits it necessarily produces.
All the "deficit hawk" sens are probably no's as well as an early no from Sen. Johnson R-WI so it's pretty much stillborn in the senate, thank god. Not to mention they are still loving trying to destroy the ACA in this bill :suicide:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm ready for bitcoin to crash hard and gently caress right off so I can actually buy a video card for my PC at a reasonable price

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FAANG lost $60 billion today, buy bitcoin and weed, burn it all down salt the earth

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Does anyone else hate the new Google finance, or is it just me?
What you don't like 85% of a website being unused whitespace?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone know why WDC has poo poo the bed this week?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yeah I'm down a tiny bit too. If the GOP is going to assfuck the country at least let me make some money from it

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Robinhood has options trading now.

Also dear lord can we just stop talking about bitcoin yet

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jamfrost posted:

Any of y'all have monthly dividend stocks that you like?
Dividend investing in this bull market seems kind of worthless but VET pays monthly and has 6% yield. Also SHAW, GAIN, and SJR are good.

You can also look at DIVB which is an new etf that holds companies likely to do buybacks as well as pay dividends but it's quarterly.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

treerat posted:

What's a good Canadian weed stock, I wanna buy some before they legalize.
HMMJ.TO

:2bong: :420: :350:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Welp after reading this I officially want all crypto speculators to spend christmas penniless and dying in the frozen streets

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/iced-tea-company-stock-triples-after-adding-blockchain-to-name/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bought SGH today thinking they'd have a good earnings call and yay up 11.5% after hours. This never happens to me so I'm happy :kiddo:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Lol at the thought that these top 5 cryptos have a market cap of over 300 billion US dollars
Not for long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MJX is tradeable on Robin Hood now for all your tobacco company weed needs.