Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
So a bad thing happened. My car was stolen.

This isn't really the end of the world as the car wasn't worth that much, but it was my mode of transportation to work and I can't afford another vehicle. I live about 90 minutes by biking and a knee problem might hamper my ability to actually make that trek.

Beyond my inability to get to work, I'm honestly somewhat terrified of living here. It's a gated community, but apparently not gated enough for some to just walk in, grab a vehicle and leave. The more I think about it, the less I want to be here and the more I want to move.

To that end, can I use this as grounds to break my lease on my apartment? Is there a way to legally do that and move to some place where I'm both closer to work such that I can actually bike there, and not have to worry about someone just taking stuff with no recourse? This is in California.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Are you positive it wasn't towed?

Yeah, I called the landlord before filing a stolen vehicle to confirm they didn't tow it for some reason. I also called the local police's traffic unit to check if it showed up as a 'towed' in their system and no dice either way. Is there someone else I should be calling? I'm pretty stupid to this entire experience, so if I messed up, I'd love to know about it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Have you considered you are being tailgated because you are driving like poo poo ?

If your response to someone 'driving like poo poo' is to increase the risk if serious injury to both then and you, then you are a petulant child.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I want to hear more from Soothing Vapers about how if you REALLY think about it (and aren't a tool of the corrupt ABA), then you really aren't bound to the law of a state.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saucer Crab posted:

My non-laywer opinion is that HOAs suck major poo poo and you made a mistake buying a house in one in the first place.

Alternative opinion: HOAs are a way of dealing with lovely neighbors without having to do something drastic, and can create and enforce 'good neighbor' policies effectively. For example, if you have a motorcycle that's noisier than my alarm clock, then I can point to the HOA documentation that says, 'no vehicles with more than 75 Db of noise from 10 meters'. The result is a quiet neighborhood or you get fined.

Alternatively, alternatively, paying someone $300 / month to mow my lawn is of questionable value...

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Those are things your city can do instead, you know. Like my city says we can't leave garbage bins out front for more than 24 hours, and they enforce it. You don't need a petty extra-governmental neighborhood cabal to have "good neighbor" laws.

The city I live in has a noise ordinance of 95db, and doesn't enforce it. The HOA does a lot more on that front than the city.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

The problem with a good HOA is that it can turn into a bad HOA in one election.

Isn't that every governmental entity? You're definitely right though.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious about Richard Liebowitz. The dude seems obviously incompetent and constantly acting in bad faith, but is allowed to take up enormous amounts of court time. It sounds like he's going to probably get a pretty mighty backhand here from the courts, but is this behavior just that uncommon that it seems to take years of obviously bad behavior before real consequences start to happen?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In any situation that doesn't deal with explicit sig figs, zeros are implied. 5 is 5.0000.., 12.058 is 12.05800000.. 4cm is 4.0000.. cm. 6.5 kilos is 6.500000.. kilos and 5:00pm is 5:00:00.000000.. pm

No where ever do we assume otherwise. A weight limit of 2lbs means that 2.2lbs is over limit. You can try and drive your vehicle with a height of 12'10" under a bridge with a height limit of 12', but you might have a bad time. Try and bring a contain with 2.8oz of liquid onto a plane when the limit is 2oz. They'll probably tell you to gently caress off. No where else is a zero not assumed when unspecified. I have no idea how this is at all a debate. If we didn't assume zeros, then you can change the definition by simply changing the unit.

Have a weight limit of 4000lbs on a road? Change the units to tons and now carry 2.6 tons because that's still 2 tons.

Look at how irrationally annoyed I am about something so petty and dumb. This is probably not healthy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Legal Questions: International Law is Calvinball

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Maybe we are exceptional in America. Exceptionally stupid.

Trump got elected president. I'd say that tracks.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm the rear end in a top hat who wouldn't flinch about cutting down several acres of trees because I want to see some rocks.

Can a lawyer in this thread please tell me how to sue the world to force it to rotate around me please? Is that a state issue or a federal issue?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

It should be noted that after I cut all these trees that are blocking my mountain view it's my intention to build some trails for my Internal Combustion off road vehicles that do not have catalytic converters and usually leak oil.

As long as this benefits exactly you some how, I'm sure you can rationalize that. After all, that's the American Way™!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

there would probably be jurisdictional issues

more importantly, I suspect such a powerful laser would violate 21 CFR 1040.10 et seq., and possibly 18 USC 2, § 39A.

This is the best thread

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CongoJack posted:

How do you know who has what job and if they will get paid? Do you just straight up ask them?

It was straight up a line to fill out when I was on a Jury: "How many days will your job compensate you for jury service?"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Valicious posted:

I’m in Lake County, IL and my partner (not actually married, but our finances impact each-other greatly) is being sued by a debt collector for an unpaid Citibank. He missed his court appointment saying “I was going to just lose anyway, so it doesn’t matter. I actually just saved having to pay the appearance fee.” How much more worried should I be? What are the consequences of this? (Note: I am in a wheelchair and he works as my caregiver. If he is not here, I can’t get out of bed and starve.)

IANAL, but I assume he now has a judgement against him that is probably going to be whatever Citibank has requested, which is going to be hard to remove short of just cutting them the check. More to the point though of, 'How worried should I be?' Based strictly on this anecdote, this seems like a person I wouldn't trust with five dollars, let alone my life. Unless I'm completely blind to something, there is no such thing as an 'Appearance Fee' unless you are the one to open the case, which I assume he is not. This does not seem like you are dealing with a responsible adult here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm feeling brave, thread.

Landlords don't have to be shitbags, and I'd say I'm personally about 25/75 with the majority of landlords being shitbags, but I've had good landlords where we work together to keep each other's costs lower.

Also, my good landlords have always been private owners. Companies suck and are terrible 100% of the time

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OPAONI posted:

Is objecting to the whole enterprise of American brutality at the hands of the ruling class grounds to be excluded from Jury duty?

Man, this right here might be the purest form of slacktavism I've ever seen

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Which SC rear end in a top hat was it who admitted dui checkpoints are unconstitutional but shrugged and said "but we're going to allow them anyway"? Was it Thomas?

I'm gonna put all my chips on Scalia on that one

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I believe what is trying to be communicated here is that there is a balance of harms to consider. If the rules for test/search are too strict, Police abuse the position they are in. If the rules are light, drunk drives are harder to prosecute. There is a balancing act at play here. That's all that's being sad IMO.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so this is all part of the sovereign citizen play book. I'm *somewhat * sure that the 'state national' is not a real thing and just made up sov cit bullshit (which is pretty common).

I only know enough to point and laugh at them on YouTube

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
But just to be clear: yes, this is all crazy loving bullshit

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Go do jury duty you rear end

This.

Also, I recently did jury duty in Orange county and it was fine. Masks and distancing were everywhere. While it was a lot of waiting, the process was pretty interesting and as others have said, reasonable people falling on that sword is what keeps justice at least slightly less lovely

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Drama in the Rittenhouse trial right now, looks like the ADA might get himself disbarred!

I'm dumb and literally every Google result shows 'ADA' as the Act, not a person.

Who is the ADA, and what's the details on this one?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I literally have to print out all received paper discovery right now in hard copy because our office server hard drive is full and we can't get a new one yet so I can't save .pdfs anywhere

This makes actual negative sense. I have no idea how a business that works with any amount of data would allow this to happen and represents a major logistical failure in this kind of management.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm more unsurprised than I am mad. I'm no legal expert on any axis, but that felt like it went off the rails for the prosecution pretty badly.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Is there even a consensus on what exactly concentration power is? Much less how can you even quantify or give it to someone?

My concentration power is usually around 'Yellow', but if I take my concentration pills, I can get it up to a 7, or something a B+ even.

Unironically, when I was on Adderall, I would enter a state of hyperfocus that is unlike anything else. I dosed on a generic form of it in a drug trial and finished the 6th Harry Potter book from beginning to end effortlessly in one sitting, in what felt like 15 minutes.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Do you know what the drug was because I would kill to be able to focus on anything for more than five minutes.

My brother has add and I'm on the fence of I do as well. I tried dexamphetamines once and things worked for a week or two and they sort of stopped working.

I should get tested

It was some kind of amphetamine, I couldn't tell you exactly which one and it was 10+ years ago. When I did eventually get a script for Adderall and the effect was pretty similar (although probably less intense). A warning about Adderall though: You build a resistance to it and the feeling is intoxicating. I probably slipped from 'use' to 'abuse' around the time I started scheduling doses around WoW. I feel like I barely escaped that poo poo.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Could you sustain a whole law practice on acting as a consultant for petty children? Are there enough annoyed neighbors, people pissed about fences, building code crazies, people who shovel snow onto the highway, etc. that you could open something like, 'Karen Law' and make a living on that?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

You probably don't want to gamble tens of thousands of dollars of potential liability on one of our shitposts.

As a third party observer, I respectfully disagree :munch:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It seems like PACER should be something that's publicly accessible, at least for criminal cases. :(

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

What kind of truck does BWBD drive? I'm guessing either a sensible 98 Mazda pickup or a jacked up F450 with oversize tires and a La Cucarcha horn.

I'ma say he drives a 03 Chevy S-10, but is on the waitlist for a Tesla Truck.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It is my understanding that the driver who hits a pedestrian / rear ends someone / fails to stop for a biker has a cliff to climb to prove that they were not at fault. Usually, the pilot of the 2 ton piece of metal is extremely liable for making sure they are not endangering those that do not have direct control over said hunk of metal, so there's that.

Now, exceptions exist and I'm sure someone has gotten somehow escaped fault for rear ending someone, but the facts seems to matter a lot here. IANAL.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I got a little taste of the lawyer experience who's practice intersects with Karen. This was fun. I'm glad it's not my day job.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, these are some very serious allegations:

Someone with PACER access has to post the SA complaints.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 14, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at PACER costs and this poo poo is straight up draconian. Charging per page delivered is some print era poo poo, but whatever I guess. This however is completely hosed:

"PACER Search Results – Anytime a search is performed you are charged a fee based on the number of pages generated in the search, even if the search displays “no matches found.” There is no maximum fee for these searches."

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I posted a copy of the complaint in the post above yours. The suit has been dismissed as frivolous.

His shtick seems to be posting a list of software UX annoyances or missing features and turning that into a lawsuit somehow...?

So, if you are this court, when do you just label this all vexatious and say, 'no more from you kthx'

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm normally a spectator here, but I have a hypothetical of sorts:

Lets say Party X is trying to sue Party Z for unpaid rent as part of a shared lease. X and Z were roommates. X fronted the rent. Z didn't pay for a few months. X is suing Z in small claims, but cannot find Z's new address to serve them. What is the recourse here?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

How much money we talking here

$4500

Guy Axlerod posted:

Does Z actually have any money?

Probably.

E: It's hard to know for sure, but there is evidence to suggest the answer is 'yes'. (Has a decent job, has decent stuff/car, etc.)

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Your chances of recovery are low . Your chances of a judgment are way higher

A lawyer may take it on contingency .

Roger that.