Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Thesaurus posted:

I almost hate to mention it, but you can work for the state or feds and get the same benefits and decent pay WITHOUT becoming an attorney.

Yeah, but you have to a cop unless you have a terminal degree or are upper managment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got along with everyone in law school pretty much, but I don't really drink so I rarely hung out with anyone because drinking was 100% of every socialization function. Show up and get drunk. I had little interest in that so it was rather frustrating. Oh well, I make more money now than I ever did as an attorney, and I have no clients to deal with.

FWIW, if you want to network without booze, you need to meet some Mormons. There's a ton of them in lawschool.
You can also show up an just drink water. No one will care if you're cool.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

There's 100 lbs of meat we got from hunting too.

Don't forget an entire wagon full of bullets.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Horatius Bonar posted:

Immigration question:

I have a Russian friend who needs to GTFO.

He wants to immigrate to the states. His current long term plan involves (potential red flag) marriage to a US citizen, I don't know the length or history of their relationship yet.

What's his best next move? Get a travel visa for now then work things out once he's in the US?

And since the US embassy and consulates in Russia are not processing visas, it looks like Warsaw is the place they recommend to go for Russians. What are his chances, and wait times for processing?

your russian friend needs a lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Gaunab posted:

No need to be a dick about it first of all. Second of all that post was made immediately in E/N after they denied me boarding and i got off the line with customer service who told me the tickets, so I wasn't in the best place mentally dickweasel.

That said, they said I was too late to board the flight and when I called the customer service, they told me the tickets were nonrefundable, however, when I looked at the tickets that were emailed to me, there was nothing mentioned or shown about the tickets being nonrefundable. If they were, then I wouldn't have shelled out the extra cash to get them insured. When I notified the booking clerk of this, they suggested going to the Consulate for help and promptly disappeared . I had an hour before the flight and they hadn't even started boarding yet and when I reached out later, I found out my seat had been sold off before I got there.

Is that enough assweasel or do you need to go through more of my post to form an opinion?

I'm going to regret replying to this in good faith, but: Did you miss a connection on a flight on the same ticket or were you just late to the airport (this includes booking two tickets)?
If the former, you have a case and EU laws actually have a ton of protections that won't need a small claim case.
If its the latter, you're hosed. US airlines tend to have an unwritten flat tire rule, where if you're 2 hours or so late, they will often put you on the next flight, however this isn't required. Non-US airlines don't do this.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Not picking on Norway specifically,

You should though

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Is this an online car dealership? A number of them are known for these types of shenanigans.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

And before you start googling to look up the distinction between procedural and substantive, the original topic was about a guy who was buying a car from a dealership that explained that it had possession of the vehicle, had access to mechanical expertise, had inspected the vehicle, and it told him that they had inspected the vehicle, and that he received as part of the underlying contract vehicle that was potentiall grossly insufficient in terms of consideration, meeting both prongs of the procedural and substantive elements of an unconscionability claim as a bar to enforcement.

I mean, technically, this is kinda traffic law, so I'll allow it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

Seriously though the government recommends 2000ng/ml cutoff for "positive" results for the drugs that hit positive after consuming poppy seed muffins. It's extremely unlikely that any amount of muffins can get you that high of a number.

Seems like a challenge.
Also lol at an attorney actually trying to argue an accidental intox on a opioid DUI. You just argue he wasn't THAT high. (No really, I also tried a lot of drug DUIs.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought this only worked on cops?

Not if you kick em in the nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

You generally always have to sue civilly for damages, whether the individual or the estate.

'Reparations' are almost exclusively a condition of probation, only by agreement of the defendant, in certain types of criminal cases, but they aren't very common to my knowledge.

Restitution can and is often ordered even in a prison sentence in California. It is very useful because it is non-dischargeable. While the court can punish you for not paying, if able to pay, on probation or parole, once the court loses jurisdiction over you, it converts into a non-dischargeable civil debt.
It is quite common in CA.