Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I never installed Joindr in the car so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

They didn't edit the post to show the hedgehog footage however :mad:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ambaire posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems legal related, so here goes:

I live in an apartment complex, and for the past few days, I've been hearing water running from the adjacent apartment's bathroom at all hours of the day and night. (It sounds like water flowing through pipes, and is a quieter version of what my own shower sounds like when on.) It's technically none of my business, but with this Covid thing, I'm worried that the resident(s) may have died or I don't know and it's just a matter of time before their tub or whatever overflows and creates a huge loving problem for the apartment staff.

Should I try to contact the staff about this or something?

The apartment super would probably be extremely interested, if the water ends up overflowing it would cause a ton of damage. Definitely knock on their door and see if they're alive first though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ambaire posted:

I called the office 6 hours ago when they opened and told them and they said they'd send someone to take a look. Been checking throughout the day and that water's still running... I guess covid's messing with maintenance or something.

Not sure what I should do if it's still going tomorrow or the day after. Been living here for 5 years and this is the second time I've called anyone for anything unrelated to me. First time was about 3 years ago when I could hear a smoke detector alarm going off continuously, traced it to the apartment upstairs across from me, and after knocking on their door for near 5 minutes with no response, called the fire department. Turned out someone was home and had burnt something in their oven but didn't do anything about silencing the alarms.. for what seemed like hours...

Thanks for the replies.

edit: I mean, it's not normal for someone's shower to be on for days, right? This is something I should be worried about, right? Bystander effect seems strong here but there's probably not many people who could be aware of it so ...

Are you physically able to knock on the door? If so, stop being a goon and just introduce yourself as their neighbor and see if there's any response.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pentyne posted:

I don't have it but it was something like "you promise to try and move out by April 1st"

And he won't accept the lawyer telling him that its not a meaningful statement. And then saying that he just has to show it to a judge who will most definitely agree with him.

Evictions being suspended also don't mean anything to him because when told nothing can happen at least until the stay at home orders are lifted I get a text from him "They find the cure. Problem solved. USA win" and then saying he can get them out by May 1st.

Have him tweet at Trump to fix it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BonerGhost posted:

I want to sue a scummy debt collector who keeps adding new trade lines to my credit report even though Experian deletes it when I dispute it. Should I assume everything is on hold due to the Rona?

I kind of want their money but I mostly want this drat thing to stop popping up when it's clearly not legit. Is there a way to get the reporting agencies to refuse new lines from this collector for this account? I don't think it's mine or a legit debt, and it looks like they're misdating it to boot.

Freeze your credit, don't just put a "30 day watch" or whatever they call on it. It's a bit of a pain if you regularly need access to credit but it's worth doing anyway.

ESPECIALLY do not pay the credit bureaus for any services; it's either free or a one time nominal fee to freeze your credit. Don't give those fucks anything more than you need to freeze your credit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BonerGhost posted:

I wasn't aware a credit freeze would stop reporting on a collection account, I thought that was just for inquiries and new lines?

I thought half the point of the credit freeze was that tradelines could not be added to your credit report.

You should be doing it anyway, just for identity theft purposes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

I subscribed to Youtube Premium, and as you know Google accounts are integrated with YouTube. My Google account got hacked, I cannot access it, and I keep being charged $10 a month for the sub.

But there is literally no way to speak to customer service, as Google does not have a call center, except for special corporate accounts.

I had my credit card company reverse the charges, but they still keep billing my rear end.

Fwiw, have you tried the numbers at https://1800liveperson.com/google/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

Yeah, it looks like they changed the recovery email, and entering previous passwords didn't help.

No phone support at all because of covid, but I don't know if they could have helped much anyways.

Luckily the gmail accounts weren't important to me. I changed my credit card number, but still got charged the monthly fees, probably because they couldn't verify I did not use the services or that I was hacked.

PM me or email me at my username @gmail.com please

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Just to confirm the shop owner did not enter into any agreement with doordash

Was there gold fringe on the order form?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

But what if I really want it to be?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

VanSandman posted:

I have a corporate law question.

Let's say one person, a Mr. M, is the majority owner and CEO of a large corporation, and has, in recent years, driven it into the ground. Is there any way for other shareholders to force them to give up control or can they do nothing but sell the stock and get out of the game?

Has he driven it into the ground intentionally, or just stupidly? Is there any kind of evidence of fraud?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blarzgh posted:

For clarity, a claim of "waste" is part of a suit to recover money because the corporation you own shares of did such an awful job with its own assets. This means that if a shareholder can prove that a Corporation just 'gave away' money, they can sue the corporation and win. Now guess how many board members think about that when somebody suggests they do something charitable with corporate money.

Couldn't you make a pretty easy argument that charitable giving could be considered explicitly advertising, PR, or even a form of compensation in the form of warm fuzzies for your employees?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hermsgervørden posted:

Legal Questions: I’m mailing The Spoonman Manifesto to my many enemies. Good idea, or great idea?

Best idea if you can mail a copy to me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

Okay, all friday night fun aside, here is a serious question. What financial point do you have to get to where you go from a tax preparer to a tax attorney?

If you have to ask, you aren't there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

toplitzin posted:

They can stop you and ask questions, but to search you they need probable cause or consent.

It's convenient that they have walking probable cause machines for anyone who declines though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ceebee posted:

Who said I'm trying to get licensed content? If you just want to be complacent about massive monopolies taking over both user generated and commercial entertainment all over the world that's fine. I'm just not going to sit back and watch.

Thank you, I feel like this is a pretty normal thing to do at least when I look at how other startups have begun. This is all pretty new to me, but I'm trying to absorb and self-teach as much as possible, and asking for help where I feel like I need advice or suggestions.

I think the point other posters are trying to make is that regardless of your business idea, you're probably going to need 9 figures, 8 minimum, if you want to have a streaming platform and have people use it. Most of the new successful entrants are major networks creating their own streaming service so that they can cut out Netflix / Amazon. There's a zillion tiny channels on Roku that no one knows or cares about, that likely have the same hopes and dreams you're expressing.

If you have someone who is willing to give you a check for millions of dollars sight unseen, you should probably see if you sit down with them to discuss business, not just ideas.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ceebee posted:

Well, I'm glad I incorporated in Delaware. Always can count on YouTube for some self teaching

Also I'm not solely going to use LegalZoom, I just wanted to get this done quickly and affordably for now. Before any growth of the business happens I will be consulting with a lawyer to comb over my existing paperwork. I do plan eventually on taking potential investors but it's not my priority right now, just starting the business and getting it rolling.

Also, I quit my job for this. I mean, technically I quit it to do streaming and/or youtube full time but I'm just not a fan of how those platforms work in regards to paying content creators so I'm creating my own. I've got plenty of safety net for myself so I'm not really that concerned, and I can always take contract and freelance work if I need additional funds.

Thanks for the info though guys, despite the skepticism I'm still very excited and optimistic about this. I didn't get to where I'm at right now by listening to the people telling me something is too hard or too expensive to do.

Just tell us the business plan at this point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you don't have a business plan that survives someone else knowing what it is, how is it going to survive Tuba-zon or whatever from just doing it themselves?

You mention that this is grown out of frustration with the share of the money streamers get from ads, is this

1) A paid subscription streaming service
2) A service whose hook is "Streamers get 70% of the revenue!!?"

Because if so there's a reason that the ad revenue model for streamers is so paltry at this point, and it's not just greed.

Basically, we're seeing you post this and seeing it play out before our eyes and we're all getting popcorn trying to express our concern, except that you're not telling us that it's about dragons or science and we're all trying to warn you of MMO tripping points

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 11, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Devor posted:

I'll make the website if you incorporate the legal entity that will retain ownership of the intellectual property

Woah hold up I'm already starting the Wiki

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ceebee will your website have gold fringe on the borders? This is legally very important

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thomamelas posted:

Wait, a contractor doing the right thing? Is this some sort of mock trial?

Cheaper than getting mired in legal bullshit generally.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

therobit posted:

The real question is what was the point of bringing a family friend who's a Hells Angel if you also invited the cops?

One of them might just not show up

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Gardenator posted:

This is a great time to remind everyone to check their smoke detectors: age, battery, test button to see if it actually makes noise, and finally that there is one in every bedroom and on every level of the home.

Don't worry, they self test frequently and annoyingly to let me know that the battery is low or that I've forgotten the kitchen fan, again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Applesnots posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I was served a court date in a civil court over a hospitial bill. I thought I was having a heart attack and dying. Never been to a hospitial before and had no insurance. Now I am being sued . I own nothing and am unemployed, and I am late on my rent. I have two dollars and eight cents in my bank. I have never been to court and am kind of nervous, how does it work? Do I need to bring anything to show that hey, I have no money to give?

They won't care that you have nothing to give, but you might want to try contacting the billing department in the hospital, I'm willing to bet that someone stole your identity and skipped out on the bill in your name. Otherwise, time to see if any local universities have free legal clinics.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Applesnots posted:

It probably wont help, It is on Wednesday. What horrors can I expect them to do to me for around a 1.5k bill? I really know nothing about this and any words will be appreciated.

Is this the first you've heard about this?

Do call the billing department, tell them that you're jobless and broke and ask if they can work with you or find some charitable grants you could put towards this. It costs them money to have a lawyer show up in court, and if there's no chance you'll ever be able to pay it's not worth their time.

The bill will probably magically find a way to turn into $50 to be paid in 6 months, since that's more than the $0 they'll get trying to hound you for money you don't have.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

That's interesting, is there a way to see who the board members of Something Awful LLC are? Seems like it would be a public knowledge thing. Certainly I don't want anyone doxxed but I'm curious if it's a "put all my closest friends and family on the board" or if there's some rogue stakeholders like I dunno, Schmorky.

I'm going to save you a click, it's almost certainly just Lowtax, creating an LLC so that if some idiot goon murders a bunch of people and says "Richard 'Lowtax' Kyanka got me to do it on his murder webforum, also it's where we launder all of the drug money through", and all of the money dries up, his unpaid hosting bills won't follow through to him too. Or so goes the idea.

IANAL but that's the whole point of an LLC.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BonerGhost posted:

How did he not run afoul of the city for loving up the street?

I suspect that if they're willing to buy and park a spite tank that's the least of the cities concerns.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

Hire and ask a lawyer.

The intent behind child support laws is to support the kid though, not to be punitive. One parent being rich previously but not now (for whatever reason), doesn't really matter for the kid in the present.

You might want to make a case for increased custody, which would change the amount you would pay (if oregon is like NJ).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BonerGhost posted:

If I needed someone to look out for me in law matters, there's no way I'm picking some guy who read some books over someone who went to school and was theoretically screened for behavior/ethics problems

If I needed someone to look out for me in law matters, I'm taking the Frank Abagnale guy who can not only give themselves the self discipline to pass all on their own, but can dress up as a judge and rule in my favor before hightailing it away from the FBI agents who are somehow only moments behind.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Which got me thinking, what if friend A helps friend B with an interview for a work-from-home job (feeds them technical answers in an earpiece) and once B is hired then A just chips in occasionally when B is over their head on something(assuming they can handle 95% of the routine work). Can the company realistically sue upon finding out, if there's no legitimate security or safety concerns introduced by B's partial incompetence?

If they ever find out about Stack Overflow, my oh my.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Real Estate attorneys are a specialized subset of attorneys. All real estate attorneys could you get through a closing. Many "closing" attorneys probably couldn't get their way through the multitudes of other facets of real estate law and litigation. I think what you're referring to are the underwriters for a title company.

Title companies employ a pool of attorneys we generally call "underwriters." For reference, here is what a Title Company does:

Underwriters do all the attorney legal work on the aforementioned stuff. These attorneys typically do this, and only this for their job. They are also employed by the title company, so they don't represent you, and couldn't represent you on another tangential matter.

What's the procedure for insurance against fraud?

Let's say some con artist forges a transfer on a deed, then once that's settled turns around and sells the property to some third party. The original owners come back to find strangers in their home, and are understandably pissed.

The title company did their due diligence, legally it was clear as far as they could tell. The con artist is nowhere to be found, having closed the account that the sale money went to and purchased a one way ticket to Turkmenistan.

Who takes it on the chin here?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Outrail posted:

Isn't that what cavet empor (?) is for? You buy something that doesn't belong to you welp, too bad give it back. Or is that more for 'your car turned out to be a lemon, tough luck'?

That's why I'm asking. Does the title insurance protect against fraud, or just perfectly legal surprises?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Specifically as to title companies, and title insurance, I don't think they would be liable for a forgery. Thats what we call an independent tort, and an intentional tort - these kinds of things (assault, battery, fraud) are typically not covered by insurance policies in general, and I know that a title company agrees to investigate every signature on every deed for forgery, and I don't think such a thing would be covered.

In the handful of claimed forgery cases I've dealt with, no title insurance policy has ever been brought in.

So, if I were to want to buy a property, is there a mechanism I can use to guard myself against this?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

The problem is that people think they do offer it, and it's included, and they don't.

Yeah pretty much this. I guess a better question would be "how frequently does title insurance actually discover an issue with the property that would materially affect the sale" and "how often do they pay out afterwards" so that we can answer the question "why are we even paying for this instead of the township not letting you sell a deed that is incorrect"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So what I'm hearing is that the Scooby Doo method of land acquisition is real?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

Dressing up in a mask and scaring people off their land is one of the cornerstones of property ownership, especially in the South.

That one's gonna be a Jinkies for me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

There's a fine line between tax fraud, tax evasion, and tax avoidance. Thankfully people like Musk can afford to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to find situations that are technically tax avoidance so they don't pay millions of dollars in taxes.

That said, this is Elon Musk so he's probably going to tweet about moving to Texas because he doesn't have to pay taxes, then posting some bonglord 420 video.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There’s a rich guy I know, probably worth about $500 million. Intentionally splits time between homes he owns in California, Louisiana, Wyoming, Florida and South Carolina do he legally doesn’t pay income tax in any state. (He could live in Florida or Wyoming full time but wants his fancy places in Louisiana, SC, and California.)

Rich people don’t live by the same rules as the rest of us.

How does this even work? Does he just declare that none of them are his primary residence and the states are dumb enough to say it's ok to do that if you're there for less than 3 months? Does he somehow get to skip federal income tax too?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Just a practical thing to keep in the back of your head: a lot of home schooling folks are also anti-vaccination, which has specific implications for when one would be available for your kid. Make sure you're both going to be in agreement on this.