Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

pik_d posted:

As someone who is also looking into that car, the fact that it combines AWD, a hatch, and doesn't have quite the boy racer feel as the STI, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3, Evo, etc.

I'm not sure any BMW compares, unless you compare used to new. the closest BMW you can get new is a 228i xDrive Coupe, which has less power and isn't a hatch. The M235i is like $9k more.

If you can find a 2014 STI hatch they're really not that bad. It looks nearly identical to the WRX and if you debadge it no one would ever know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

STi interiors also hold up fairly well over time. Unsure whether this will be true for the VW.

edit: also apparently no real LSD on the VW, though I'm not an expert on how the Haldex AWD setups work

Oh I totally forgot about the Haldex setup on the Golf/TT. I was looking into a TTRS earlier this year and while you can buy aftermarket Haldex controllers, it's not on the same level as the STI's DCCD and you're still out $1k+ for the controller.

Also I got my STI hatch new for $34k.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Cyrezar posted:

Hahaha..."You need 2 people to open the hood." "....why?"

Do you think in 10 years we will be calling people morons for posting about buying one of these used?

I doubt the DIY types will be buying this car used at any point. This is 100% a dealer serviced car.

I also want one so loving bad it almost makes me forget about having a track car.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The last gen Celica was a pretty sporty car. It was light as hell (2300lbs) and had a great suspension setup. The 2zz wasn't ready for prime time though. While on paper it was a better performer than the RSX, but the ridiculous peakiness of VVTLi made it hard to drive fast (also people would grenade the engines mis shifting, so Toyota lowered the redline) . The auto was also slow as poo poo compared to the manual.

IIRC the GT used to rule its class in autoX until the Mini Coopers started coming in... Once the minis got LSDs it was all over.

Had they come with the Elise's tuned 2zz and a less lovely marketing campaign ('looks fast'), we'd all a have a different opinion of it. Instead, Toyota saw the poor sales of it and the MR2 Spyder and exited the sports car arena altogether.

The Lotus aftermarket really sorted that engine out. It'll do 350whp/220+tq all day on an intercooled TVS1320 with minimal head work (really just pistons, valves/valve springs, cam) on 91 octane. I was running 275whp/175tq on a non-intercooled setup and my tuner did an N/A build for a customer that made 220whp. No one has quite figured out the transmission though. Mine was a gem but they would break at stock Exige S power levels. Some people did E153 swaps and the serious track folks are doing $12k Quaife sequentials.

Agree though that the last gen Celica GT-S was underrated. 180hp in a 2500lb car was nothing to sneeze at back then.

Edit: Also the 6000RPM VVT-i switchover was total bullshit to make the car feel fast. Setting the switchover to 4800RPM made the car so drat smooth and it made so much more power from 4800-6000.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 5, 2014

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Holy crap that's massively disappointing about the Z06 overheating. loving Chevy.

Now that the 650 HORSEPOWER/TORQUE folks have their car, bring on the C7 Grand Sport with a slightly hopped up LT1 and Z06 brakes/aero.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I am absolutely blown away by the GT350R. It's getting really hard to ignore how amazing American performance cars have become. The GT350 grabbed my attention and the GT350R actually has me thinking seriously about buying a drat Mustang. Up until now I've planned on the 997 GT3 or a 991 C2S for next year. Now I'm wondering why I want to pay more for slower cars.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I am doing mental backflips at the thought of the new GT4. Nail on the loving head, someone at Porsche was listening. I think I have a pretty solid business case to the Mrs. for this one. Since it's not limited production I'm hoping there's more than one model year so I can put an order in for one next spring.

Evo Magazine got the first look at it (much like they did with the 991 GT3). The ~7:40 ring time puts it in line with the 997.2 GT3. I heard a few people say it was a detuned 3.8L X51 engine (430hp) and AP saying it's 385hp at 30,000ft in 40 degree C weather makes the case that it's underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVWojMMeg4

That's the sound of the 997 GT3 bubble bursting.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Someone at Jalopnik really went out of their way to try and convince everyone the i3 is awesome. I'd agree if it didn't look like a rolling turd box.

http://jalopnik.com/the-electric-bmw-i3-is-the-cheapest-exotic-car-you-can-1671763385

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Back in January they were running a 20% incentive on Camaros including the Z/28. They were going for $60k. A $2k incentive is not news.

Here's a new 2014 for 64k and 4k off: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...384619282&Log=0

There are plenty of 2015s going for the mid-60s with 2k off as well. If you're in the market for that car, it's a hell of a deal. Given how many people paid MSRP for that car it's basically avoiding the depreciation you'd get in the first two years or so.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Bumming Your Scene posted:

And here's the GT350 loud button demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKMKRY4hQA

Oh my god I absolutely love that car. And as usual, I can't believe I said that about a Mustang.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

Porsche has a 7 speed manual.

It's a PDK that they made into a manual and it's worse. Sad days.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Ziploc posted:

He's saying (and I've read the same thing) that the PDK derived manuals feel worse than the purposely designed manuals of yesteryear.

Correct. And it's sad because they still have the very very good 6 speed in the 981 Cayman (carried over from the 9x7 generation).

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Seems to hit a brick wall at 6000RPM, odd. Could that be an intake restriction at the top end?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In successful company news, Subaru is expanding US manufacturing:

There also will be a seven-passenger SUV MY17 that is produced at Lafayette.

Particularly noteworthy for all y'all :qq: why isn't there a WRX hatchback :qq: people

So my 2014 STI hatch is worth a few more bucks. :v:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

So many GT350 reviews out now. It sounds sooooooo good. Might run around to a few different Ford dealers on my weekend.

This has been my car-related conflict for a while. I absolutely love Porsches but the value proposition is awful. I've been considering the 997.2 C2S at ~$55k or the 997.1 TT in the $60-65k range. But you're looking at a 7-9 year old car making less power and is objectively slower than things like the GT350.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I know it doesn't make any drat sense. But holy hell I want that new RX-whatever. I'd drop my Porsche lust in a second for one of those.

Back in 2010 when I owned an RX-8 I had a drunken rant with a friend about how to fix the rotary problem. Step one, double the price. When people buy expensive sports cars it doesn't need good gas mileage and the people spending $60-70k on cars aren't keeping them forever. Fully embrace the Mercedes/BMW/Audi market where they don't give a poo poo about the second owners (out of warranty). Step two, make it turbocharged with an electric engine to provide torque down low. Step three, give it enough battery to run on electric power for ~20 miles. Optional step 4 is a three rotor engine because you've already decided turning a profit isn't important.

I hope this thing has between 350-400hp otherwise it will be eaten alive by the press and internet posters because the Mustang is the golden standard for cheap performance. I can already hear the arguments, "I can get 435hp for $35k why would I want this?" Because some of us don't want to drive a drat Mustang. If this thing is in the $60k neighborhood and puts up respectable performance numbers I'm 100% in.

Edit: haha the RADL strikes again

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Exactly. There are enough 90s kids that lusted after the Supra and RX-7 and have money now. It would be dumb not to bring them back.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I think they'll hold their value fairly well. I need to get serious and go see if I can find a non-R with the track pack to test drive. The sound they make is just so good. I don't think I'd have that hard of a time taking one over the 911's I've been looking at.

I know this is a page back but I feel like we're looking at similar cars with a similar budget. I'm looking at all sorts of options but every time I see a video about the GT350 I spend the next day justifying one. I've considered a 996TT, 997.2 C2S, e9x M3, etc. Each one of them are between 6 and 14 years old with a lot less power and no warranty. They also lack an 8250RPM V8 that can wake the dead. I could see a lot of first time Mustang buyers next year.

Looking through some forums it seems like you need to get on the waiting list soon and MSRP + market adjustment is the going rate. Hopefully they'll make enough that things calm down a bit. I think invoice on the non-R is $44k? With the track package you'd be in for around $50k, hard to beat that.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Something that gets to me is that the R defaults to a rear-seat delete package. I'm really curious who they have pegged as the buyers -- either real track nuts who will be putting in a cage and harness bar, or collectors who don't ever carry 4 people in car.
If you do all this amazing work to make a 4-seater handle and perform that well, is the 100lbs worth of back seat really what you want to pitch?

I doubt it's 100lbs. Rear seat pads covered in leather do not weigh much and the seat belts/latches are not much either. I'd be surprised if it saved more than 25lbs after adding what looked like a shelf behind the rear seats. They still have to put carpet under there and I doubt they made the sheet metal thinner under the rear seats like Porsche did in the 997.2 GT3. It's all for show.

And yeah, no A/C to save weight is just silly. If you're running a pure track car on a trailer you'd do much better for yourself stripping something that has little value relative to the Shelby like a normal GT.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

See, this kind of stuff makes wanting a 911 seem like such a terrible loving idea. These kind of purchases pretty much never make sense, but the GT350 makes so much more sense when it comes to actually owning it. And the noise :dong:

You have to really want a Porsche to ignore a car like this. I absolutely love Porsches and for the longest time the 997.1 GT3 was my jam. But that was 9 years ago and now you can get something much faster at half the cost with a warranty.

Literally the only reason I can come up with to not get one is that I'd have a hard time telling people I drive a Mustang. I know, that makes me a massive tool. Between the C7, Z/28, and GT350 the American cars are starting to crush the competition in nearly every metric outside of brand cachet. Public perception outside of enthusiasts will catch up if they keep turning out cars like this.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

Yup! I think my biggest gripe with the GT350 is that you can't even get the premium radio setup with the track pack. Such a minor gripe, but the stock radio setup is ugly as poo poo.

There are people that have done Sync 3 installs from the base radio on other current model Fords. I was looking it up the other day when I decided there's no way I'd go tech package over the track package. Upgrading the stereo, even with OEM Ford parts, should be super simple on a Mustang.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

That is a big fuckin car.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Someone will always bitch about something. Wagons barely sell as is, if they squared off the back it would look ugly as poo poo and zero people would buy them. Be happy someone is still making wagons at all.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

The Apple and Google solutions are the most obvious answers. I think we can all agree that carmakers are poo poo at designing an interface. Same goes for aftermarket DIN units. There's also no world where a manufacturer's navigation system is better than your smartphone.

I've had CarPlay since November 2014 and it's really the only way to go. I'm not going to rave about how amazing it is, it's just the most logical solution to integrate today's technology in a car.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah I've found 330hp just not enough anymore. I think 500hp would be enough.

This isn't sarcasm.

100% truth.

My thought process today: "Hmm... an e90 M3 would be nice, but it really needs a supercharger."

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Any links for us? I think it's going to be between this and a Cayman.

More like 25 lbs. America gets poo poo people would have added in anyway.

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-m2-is-only-25-pounds-lighter-than-the-bmw-m4-1759763699

A basic Cayman S is going to have a better power/weight ratio, less weight, and better chassis. Get the 6 cylinder while you can. Unless you're living in the past and blindly believe the 911 is better, the Cayman is the best handling and best looking coupe they make. Plenty of practicality with the trunk and frunk as well. I have a feeling the back seats in the M2 will be a complete joke.

Still pissed at Porsche for gimping the GT4 with an "underrated" engine and ridiculously long gearing.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

AlmightyPants posted:

A new Maserati dealership opened a few miles away from me on Long Island and I'm suddenly seeing Ghiblis everywhere. It used to just be Granturismos and the occasional Quattroporte. I saw one yesterday parked on the street in a working class neighborhood and there's one regularly parked at the college campus that I work at, and it's not a student's. I can imagine looking at them in a couple of years but being scared away upon seeing the reliability and service costs.

I was really excited about the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio for about 10 minutes and then I thought about how much it would depreciate in 4 years and moved on with my life.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

That's really solid advice. I had a few spare moments at work and decided to see what a Carmax warranty would cost for an e60 M5. I was absolutely horrified. The car was a 2008 6sp M5 with 57k miles.

100k warranty (total), $500 deductible - $4099
100k warranty, $50 deductible - $6899

125k warranty, $500 deductible - $5359
125k warranty, $50 deductible - $9k+ my brain tuned out after I heard the first number

Carmax warranties were pretty reasonable a few years back but they wised up after that DeMuro asshat made a career out of bragging how much his Range Rover warranty saved him.

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 23, 2016

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Oh absolutely. The 125k warranty with the $500 deductible would definitely pay for itself over the course of 60-70k miles. From that perspective you get an awesome V10 German cruiser and peace of mind for several years and dump it 6 months before the warranty expires.

What's odd about the S85 engine having so many issues is the S65, a derivative of that motor, has far fewer issues. I know the older SMG transmission causes a lot of the headaches but the engine itself has a propensity for letting go at alarming rates.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

drgitlin posted:

The MX-5 RF looks amazing in the flesh. As does the 911R (check Ars in a day or two for an interview with Andreas Preuninger). The BMW M760i and Alpina B7 are both stunning too; can't wait to get some seat time with them.

That is phenominal; Preuninger is a god to the GT crowd. Make sure to thank him for returning manuals to the GT cars so the 997 GT3 market cools down a bit. I love seeing your car-related content on Ars, keep up the good work.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

drgitlin posted:

Thanks! That makes a nice change from the commenters who either say "you're ruining the site and why the gently caress is Ars writing about cars" or "why do you drive so many expensive cars I can't afford" or "herp derp $30k for a Bolt is way too expensive it should cost $15k".

If you have topics you'd like to see us cover lmk, always open to suggestions.

Yeah it's an uphill battle writing about performance cars on a tech/lifestyle site. I really enjoy the comments on almost every article but I definitely skip the comments on your car articles. In my experience those two segments don't have a lot of overlap.

I think your articles do a good job of having detailed information without driving too many people away. I read Rennlist so you definitely don't want advice from me.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

opengl128 posted:

As I found out when I sold mine, Mazdaspeed3 for sure. I got at least $3-4k more for mine than similar models for sale because I didn't have a straight pipe exhaust and green plastidipped wheels. The buyer said he was happy to pay the premium for mine because it was obvious I didn't dump the clutch at every red light and turn the boost up to a million. It was just a clean well kept car with very minimal mods and good service records.

That gives me hope when I go to sell my STI. It's the last year of the hatchback and the only thing I've done to it is a Cobb stage 1 map, the easiest thing in the world to reverse.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Sigma X posted:

TST posted a video today of the Boxster S featuring the new 350 HP, 319ft/lb VVT Turbo four-banger and drat does it sound bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dPKCqVegs

Yeah that just sounds like a bucket of farts. And I say that as an STI owner. When you get in a Subaru, you know what to expect. The sounds coming from that Boxster were awful and very different from what you'd hear just one model year ago.

The 981.1 GTS might be the high point of Porsche's N/A tuning. What they did with the 3.4L was just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQWmNGAPb8

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Hikaki posted:

On my V8 RWD supercar, yes. On my 1.6L 4cyl glorified econobox that only does it because the ECU decided it would sound cool? Not really.

Then maybe you don't press the "sport" button and leave us to have our fun.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fyodor posted:

Never part with an S2000. Only sorrow and regret can come from it.

When you replace it with an Elise it's not that bad. Never looked back.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

KillHour posted:

I'm so mad the Exige isn't available in the US. It's right on the upper end of my budget, and I would get one in a heartbeat.

If you want one bad enough they sell them as "track only" cars in the US. So maybe if you live in Florida this is an option?

Also, you could get a normal Exige and do a V6 swap: https://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwr-lotus-elise-v6/
It didn't quite fit the boot lid in the Elise but an Exige wouldn't have a problem clearing it.

Also, you could just make more power than the factory supercharged V6 with a BOE REV400 kit: http://www.boefab.com/collections/superchargers/products/rev-400tvs-lotus-super-charger
300whp on a bone stock engine. 350whp with head work and pistons. I ran that kit before it had an intercooler (now called REV300) and I made 275whp with some engine/exhaust mods in hot weather. Tracked it for 3 years like that, never missed a beat. BOE makes good stuff.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Reading through the last few pages of wagon chat had me wondering why everyone didn't just buy an STI wagon.

Speaking of, I loving hated my STI for quite a while. Then I had a kid one week ago. The drat thing makes so much sense. Don't care for the AWD but decent power, lots of back seat space, trunk/hatch space is great... ugh.

Is there a more upscale version of this car? I'm not talking the hot hatch approach where they take a $20k car and cram 15-20k worth of engine and suspension. I'm talking something European or Japanese with good build quality and ticking all the fun boxes: RWD/AWD, manual, good power, hatch, low-ish weight, dash not made from Lego plastic. I think the manual requirement is killing me but hopefully there's a car I'm forgetting.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I'll take a look at the Golf R. It doesn't have to be new either. I've only purchased two new cars and the STI was one of them. I got a decent deal on it and they have shockingly low depreciation.

The CTS-V wagon is definitely an interesting option that, outside of its weight, hits all the marks. Unfortunately I don't think the CTS became a good looking car until the current gen which of course is way outside my budget.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

There's a window of opportunity that may be closing soon for Japanese manufacturers to cash in on 90's nostalgia. There are plenty of people that grew up idolizing the RX-7/Supra/3000GT/300ZX that now have money.

Mazda won't even make a Mazdaspeed 3 even though it's staring them in the face. Why would they go out on such a limb and make a new rotary car? Look I like rotaries as much as the next disfunctional enthusiast but no one is paying 80K for that poo poo. Not in a world with GT350s and C7 Grand Sports.

Also these rumors are dumb and I suspect people are getting tired of hearing about things that never come to fruition. Also I'd buy one tomorrow because I'm a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Guinness posted:

I'm probably going to go against all common sense and buy a loving Volkswagen when they launch the Golf AllTrack with the manual transmission that they've promised.

It just loving sucks that the only car that ticks all the boxes (AWD manual wagon) is a god drat VW.

Jesus man, don't do it. I'm selling my 2014 STI wagon, just buy that. It's a rare "unmodified" version too.