Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sagebrush posted:

Also you know what the first sign of hypoxia is? That they teach you about in all the aviation textbooks?

Euphoria. You feel great. Everything just seems lovely and beautiful and perfect and couldn't possibly be going better. You start laughing and smiling. It stays like that until you get dizzy and your vision dims and you black out.

Whatever is happening to these people, they are not euphoric.

"In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony long covid symptom. But because, I am enlightened by my altitude."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It can't be overstated how nice the Military Aviation Museum is down in VA Beach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Kuj6mXOgk

Are those trees farther away than they look? Because they look like they're right alongside the runway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

According to Google Maps they're about 100 feet from the centerline, which is a nice wide runway for something the size of a Bf-109. 200 feet edge to edge is about the wingspan of a 787.

I put a properly scaled Bf-109 (wingspan 32 feet) on the map for reference.

So just a trick of the video's perspective then; it's not about to actually drag a wingtip through the branches. Thank you! :tipshat:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Presented without comment, fresh from the comic strip megathread, a Sunday newspaper strip from 1941.

catlord posted:

Dinky and Jenny Sunday Jan. 19, 1941

The Sundays for Dinky and Jenny are separate from the dailies, Dinky is standalone gags and Jenny has a different story. Currently she's the nanny and pilot for just the loving worst little rich snot. A lucky rabbit's foot with a metal core set too close the the compass put them off course and they had to stop and get directions.

I put my own reaction in the other thread, but I'm curious what you actual pilots have to say about this.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It's correct about the effects. If you overload the plane you're gonna have a longer takeoff roll and much slower climb. Overload it too much, and you simply won't be able to produce enough lift to take off (or fly level, if you somehow added the weight in midair).

Very cool, thank you for the technical details! :tipshat:

My own response was more along the lines of: she was negligent for even attempting the overloaded flight, and she doesn't get to foist responsibility for that onto a passenger. This wasn't a mistaken estimate of the weight, she straight-up said it was so heavy the plane might not even be able to take off, but then she did it anyway. If they all die, it's her fault.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

but his excuse was that he couldn't read his compass because he was blinded by the setting sun, which he was flying directly into.

As an amateur astronomer, I'm of the opinion that everyone, whether pilots or not, should be at least introduced to the habits of the Sun and the Moon. Maybe even the pole star, if there happens to be one in your usual hemisphere.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Somewhere a contractor is making GBS threads their pants after signing off on earthquake proof walls.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah but there’s a PE that put a stamp on that that is about to be thrown under a bus.

I admit I'm no structural engineer, but it seems to me that a pressure wave from the sky and a seismic wave from the ground are completely different scenarios, and something built to withstand one wouldn't necessarily withstand the other.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Flown by the Boeing® B-29 Superfortress®

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/Caewgw6.mp4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The plane looks remarkably intact -- you'd think it'd be in pieces after a tower impact. Even if it was crawling along at just above stall speed, that's still something like 65 or 70 knots. (My car wouldn't look that good if I rammed a tower at 70-80 mph.)

Image stolen from https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/27/us/maryland-small-plane-crash-power-lines/index.html

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

There's a Kitty Hawk pun somewhere in here just waiting to be made.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

T as in Phone

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

slidebite posted:

Just turn the M1 into a quadcopter

Hovertanks! At last!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What kind of cool call sign does that earn you?

Weasel.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

a non-TSO compliant ADS-B transponder costs $30

commercial drone use in A/B/C airspace requires TSO compliant poo poo that's upwards of $5,000 but that's there's nothing wrong with putting a cheapo ADS-B on a balloon not otherwise requiring one if you're that worried

And how big and heavy is that transponder (and its power source)?

Payloads for pico-balloons are measured in grams.

Image stolen from: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/the-us-airforce-may-have-shot-down-an-amateur-radio-pico-balloon-over-canada/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

That's pretty drat impressive and I had no idea there was such a system already in active use.

Still, I spent big parts of the video thinking that it'd be a much better solution to have the Rwandan hospital be better-supplied in the first place, so that it doesn't need all these tiny bespoke lifesaving blood deliveries.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Oh, a once-in-5000-year event, is it? Let's set the over-under at 10 years for another one of these, then. Who's betting which side of that?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you tried to fly like this, the lift force would flex the wing ever so slightly upward, yes? Which would tend to "unbend" the bent strut just a little. Which would give more slack to all those straps and cords. Which would possibly loosen them just enough for the wood piece to slide right out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It might not be quite the loudest aircraft I've heard from home, but several summers ago I heard the deep throaty rumble of BIG piston engines approaching. I ran outside and looked up just in time to see a B-25 Mitchell fly right over me. (It was presumably flying home from Oshkosh but it seemed pretty low. Perhaps it was coming from a stop at the GA airport a few towns away, it was going about the right direction.) I love the sound of those old warbirds. :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Crossposting this from the meme thread, of all places.

Comstar posted:

So the guy who designed the sounds you are about to hear, and probably prevented 20,000 people from getting killed, died this week.

:nws: if you are watching this on an airplane.
:nms: if you don't want to see something crashing into the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVEZSJt3dLo

From the comments:

quote:

0:00 Autopilot disengage warning (The computers are not flying the plane anymore.)
0:02 Stall warning (Wings do not produce enough lift and the plane starts falling out of the sky. In other words going too slow.)
0:04 Pull up warning (The nose needs to be pulled up to avoid an obstacle or terrain.)
0:15 Overspeed warning (The plane is going faster than it`s structure is designed to withstand.)
0:24 Terrain warning (Terrain is close.)
0:27 Too low terrain warning (Terrain is too close.)
0:29 Bank angle warning (The plane is in a too steep angle. This usually means that the plane starts falling out of the sky.)

Also this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YNsCLFWi_g

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Is this better or worse than the bike seat concept from a couple of years ago?

This one?

CNN posted:

The catch? The seats are so far upright that they'll be pretty much standing up.
Unveiled at the Aircraft Interiors Expo 2018 in Hamburg, the SkyRider 2.0 aims to help airlines squeeze in more passengers by allowing an "ultra-high density" and reducing the space between rows.
"The design of this seat enables to increase the passenger number by 20% allowing increasing profits for airline companies," says a spokesperson for Aviointeriors.
"Furthermore, Sky Rider 2.0 weighs 50% less than standard economy class seats and the reduced number of components enable minimum maintenance costs."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/standing-up-airplane-seat/index.html

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I can definitely see the appeal of a near-future road trip in a self-driving car instead of flying. You get to bring lots more stuff, you have your car with you at your destination, and nicest of all, you aren't crammed in sardine-style with a bunch of strangers at any point. Sure, a long trip would take a few days, but computer drivers don't get fatigued and you could keep moving almost 24 hours a day.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a spaceship too. I have yet to hear of a self-driving system that I'd trust to take me across the street, let alone across a continent.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Yes? It’s a company called falcon environmental that employs falconers and falcons among other measures to mitigate birds around the airport, as most major airports do. The falcon wouldn’t be too helpful looking for a cat but falconers spend more time out in the airport landscaping than most others.

Serious question: do the falconers have to get clearance from the tower for their birds to take off? It wouldn't do for the falcon to be sharing airspace too closely with an A320, after all, so there's got to be some coordination involved.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

mexecan posted:

From a local YKA Facebook Group:

FB caption says this was a water bomber conversion that crashed in 1960. Other comments say it was a crop duster.

Now located at the museum of flight in Seattle.

Cool, this plane was in the movie Memphis Belle, portraying at least two different B-17s.

https://www.museumofflight.org/exhibits-and-events/aircraft/boeing-b-17f-flying-fortress

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

Frame that B-25 pic. Incredible.

This.

Also consider sending it along to the guys at CAF who fly Devil Dog. It might easily become one of their favorite photos ever of their bird.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BalloonFish posted:

2045 Boeing 797-8000 - artist's impression

Now that's just begging for a tandem wing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

gently caress. The closest I've ever been to an airshow accident was a bunch of years ago at Oshkosh when my Dad and I admired a beautiful P-51A with mint-green wings, and the next day (when we weren't there) it crashed while attempting a formation landing with another Mustang, killing the pilot. I'm not inlining any photos or video of the incident but they're easily google-able. (And horrible.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Bear with me, I'll try to hit up the high points and maybe catch one or two people from here.

And there are a few of us who have no idea about the various sims but are happily spectating the cool little alternate-history story. :patriot:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Let me in the hangar.

Now let me back out.

Now let me back in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Straddling the line between "party decoration" and "airship", one of the best Halloween decorations I ever did was a bunch of dark gray helium balloons on a fishing line, at several times treetop height. At night, the balloons themselves were impossible to see, but about three-fourths of the way up the line was a glowstick with some strips of gauzy fabric around it. So there was a fuzzy, ghostly light hovering in the sky, gently bobbing and weaving. It was subtle, but strangely disconcerting, since it didn't look or move like anything else in the sky. Had a few people come by who'd seen it from over a mile away and were trying to figure out what the hell it was.

And I'm even pretty sure it wasn't high enough to run afoul of any FAA regs. :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Alaska Air has announced it's buying Hawaiian Airlines.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/03/business/alaska-airlines-to-acquire-tk/index.html

I was going to make a joke about being in the same time zone but it turns out Alaska is an hour ahead. So... something something that freak snowstorm in Hawaii a few days ago?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

All things being equal, for an airplane to take off in the shortest distance, is it better for the runway to slope uphill (like a "ski jump" aircraft carrier) to give the plane an altitude boost, or to slope downhill (like the carrier Hōshō, or the runway at Narsarsuaq) to give the plane a speed boost?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Everybody wants to pretend they're a Southwest pilot landing at Midway in a blizzard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I mean, it DID arrive at the destination airport, it just experienced a slight delay to the passengers reaching the gate.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Speaking of doors, last night Saturday Night Live did what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZf0bNDWH4s

Someone who works at Alaska tells me that everyone there is torn between laughing their heads off at this, and worrying that SNL just did to them what they did to USAir 30 years ago.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

What's really interesting is that they were still called U-boats. They were Unterseebooten and then became Überseebooten. Though I guess technically they were Ü-boats.

Allied reporting name: Umlaut

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Stupid Mount Erebus, ruining aerovolcanism for everyone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Why are they on parallel courses with only a thousand foot altitude difference? I've heard of odd numbers (of thousands of feet) being for eastbound, and even numbers for west, or possibly vice-versa.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

That one can fly into any book with his C-130 pal POKEY too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

If it's a biplane, you've got a spare.

There was at least one piece of aeronautical lunacy that would do exactly that, by design: it was a biplane on takeoff, then once at altitude it would jettison the top wing, to reduce drag. (Apparently they tested it and it actually kind of worked, or at least it didn't kill them.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillson_Bi-mono

Wikipedia posted:

Test flights were made both as a monoplane and as a biplane, with the shorter upper wing being chosen.[4] In order to avoid the potential hazards to people on the ground of dropping the wing, wing jettisoning tests were carried out from Squires Gate Airport, Blackpool, with the upper wing being successfully dropped over the Irish Sea on 16 July 1941.[5] The test proved successful, with no great change in trim and a few hundred feet in altitude being lost when the upper wing was jettisoned.[9]

The Bi-mono was subject to further testing by the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down from October 1941. The A&AEE found that the maximum speed of the biplane configuration was slower than the stalling speed of the monoplane configuration. Its landing characteristics were likened to a kangaroo.[10]