Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this existed. To make it better I live pretty much right on the approach to Paine Field and more then once have glanced out my window and seen the Dreamlifter. I can't tell if they're currently flying the thing, but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled from now on.

Yes, there are 4 of them, all in use several times a month, moving sections and wings of the 787 from all over the world to final assembly in Everett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
at least they're still making them, an even easier decision

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

anything to keep the NG line open I guess.

p8 has a separate line and the p8 is the only thing using NG bodies at this point

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67808645

No confirmation yet on if it was the steak or fish.

im just so lucky that boeing doesnt spend a cent on us :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bondematt posted:

Well for starters, it'd be real hard to fly the plane with the nose in front of the cockpit.

hotdog in a hallway

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just saw an an-124 land, nice change of scenery compared to the usual sightings of Dreamlifter pigs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BalloonFish posted:

That doesn't seem to be the case now.

It definitely isnt

I'm going to see if the plug is installed by spirit. I would not be surprised

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Wasn't Boeing planning on making a new design but several operators told them no because they didn't want to have to do a new type rating?

its a bit of chicken or egg on this issue.

boeing was considering a new clean sheet design but knew that it would take a while and were convinced that they needed to beat airbus to market ahead of the neo. the cost and time to get to market with a new design while still dealing with the newly certified 787 (and still wildly unprofitable) made this tough to stomach and would probably not allow them to do cool guy poo poo like stock buybacks.

the only way to do that would be to make another derivative (boeing's favorite thing) and one of the most obvious benefits was that training could be minimized, which was an immediate selling point for the max and one that they leaned on heavily right off the bat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Gonna laugh when the insane documentation that shows who touches every single part of an airplane is blank so they can't figure out who didn't torque the bolts properly.

it's absolutely not blank

however, did the person who signed off the operation to do that particular bit of work actually do it? or was it their lead or coworker? who knows!?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Second‐opinion bias tells us that this story is true:

not really true to say that innovation stopped for boeing, the 757/767 were developed in the early 80s simultaneously with a cockpit similar enough that one could be certified to fly both types

the 777 is easily the best commercial product boeing ever made, got the whole thing done and certified in record time, has insanely good reliability rating and very, very, very few total losses after nearly 30 years in service. 787 is innovative but the business model undermined all of the innovation behind it. the max stinks. the 777x is taking way too loving long to get certified. tanker is a loving mess.

767freighters are still cranking out for the two remaining customers until the end of 2026, so i guess they can still make something besides 777F.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

How's the P-8 program? Someone I know just made a big downpayment on some

Seems to be ok? on schedule and no bad press? Almost done making them though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chuck_D posted:

Yikes, that was brutal. Who's grand idea was it to put the loving CEO on the evening news?

A CEO with no technical background lol, just the worst poo poo of all time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 7E7 (terrible name)/797 was meant to be a 757 replacement before they went long (literally) on the 737.

7e7 became the 787.

NMA was the only semi official name for the 757 "replacement" and they wanted to do a goofy rear end elliptical shaped fuselage for it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
this L-1011 is also still working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQk9z2R2uOQ

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
boeing's tarnished their reputation so badly we have experts stating that 22 year old planes are in fact, in the hands of maintenance crews.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Freaquency posted:

Boeing has selected a new CEO

quote:

And Stan Deal, president and chief executive of Boeing’s commercial airplanes unit, is leaving the company effective immediately. Moving into his job is Stephanie Pope, who recently became Boeing’s chief operating officer after previously running Boeing Global Services.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

a patagonian cavy posted:

The hundreds of 737s stored at KMWH are there because their customers can’t take them- they’re largely Chinese-bound frames and China did not approve the 737 MAX for commercial service until a few months ago. Additionally, each frame will require rework to bring it up to the new approved standard (MCAS fixes plus a few other things).

This is correct, that tweet thread sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Psion posted:

Speaking of 737s, what's the little plastic bit between the two panes of a passenger window? It's up at the top, usually.

this thing:

and should someone care if it's fallen off and is just rattling around between the panes? Asking for an airline who's probably had enough of Boeing's poo poo lately :v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQyvLpi5V0

1H: 40 min mark

its a diffuser for the breather hole between the inner pane (nonstructural) and the middle pane