Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

detectivemonkey posted:

I reviewed a resume for a guy once who put every type of computer or desktop printer he'd used. Two different brands of inkjet printer.

I got one of these once. I really wanted to ask the guy questions about his experience with Compaq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

and shrug the rest of her responsibilities onto me and two other employees.

Don't sign anything! :frogsiren:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ashcans posted:

This is pretty much how everyone gets jobs, though, it's why networking is so critical for most professions. I have never had a job that I just applied for blind and got, I have always had some sort of connection to the company or someone there, no matter how tenuous, to get your foot in the door.

Oh god its me, I'm the incompetent nepotism hire.

I will let you in on a secret: we are all incompetents, to varying degrees. We are all the incompetent hire.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, so why is poo poo like a 50 word history of the company of any interest to the legal department? That sounds more like college application bullshit than anything someone in the real world would care about.

Or do you mean to say it's more of an issue of companies like these having a one size fits all approach and normally that poo poo is a good idea for long term suppliers in heavily regulated industries?

Yeah, more the latter. I think that it's so that they can try and have accountability for when Ted in Sales has his brother go and make a business which then becomes the preferred vendor for paper (wherein Ted's brother simply orders paper from Staples, has it delivered, and collects a "fee").

Of course, the intent and the actual outcome are, I'm sure, two distinct things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: never mind

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 12, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Defenestration posted:

Is there a word in german for that horrible existential feeling when you know you are going to receive 150+ image files and not only will they be total poo poo, they will also be completely mislabeled despite the fact that you instituted a metadata schema that a trained monkey could follow?

Yes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

My third day at my new job, the grill station was serving The Swanson, which is a whole turkey leg wrapped in bacon. When it was handed to you, the chef at the grill station stared you dead in the eyes and admonished "No sharing!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34qmCycbK-U

My workplace is amazing :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Immanentized posted:

Going to repost something I said on linkedin here:

So, I work for Google, and it might just be my team but they're actually really good about work life balance. I work 9-5, and my boss is fine with it. It's more about what gets done than when I spend doing it.

I'm actually working from home this week and last week because I'm waiting for my new child to decide that it's time to bust free of my wife, and my commute is 2 hours each way. My boss was totally supportive of this and even encouraged it, having previously suggested that I work from home part of the time before.

The thing is, I actually enjoy working at my job, and would spend more time there than I do. The main reason that I don't is because of the commute, which puts a limit on when I should come in and when I should leave due to train schedules.

Ball pits and nap pods aren't gimmicks to make you think that the company is cool. They're there because someone made the argument that they're actually cost effective to have. I get free lunches! It's not because the recruiters want a way to differentiate the company and trick people to join, it's because the free lunches are actually cost effective when you figure in team cohesion, work life balance, and time spent going out to get lunch vs time spent going to a different floor to get lunch.

I will say that I'm sorry that you had to take a phone call with Microsoft (I'm guessing). The things I've heard about them make me not interested in then at all.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 19, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Immanentized posted:

Most of my burn out is coming from the recruiting side of things. As someone with a degree from a really well regarded tech school I've been getting hit by a frustrating amount of linkedin leads despite constant requests to not be contacted.

Something that I found helps is a keyword canary on your linked in profile. Write something like "Please include the word 'herpderp' in your request so that I know you read my profile. Otherwise I will mark you as spam." It actually really works very well, and a surprising number of recruiters will see it and do it. The rest of them are spammers and can eat a butt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

Position is for a technical writer, but we'll see. I've lived in NoDak, so location isn't an issue, more just interested in the corporate culture.

Ugh, I'm not a programmer and I only know C (trying to teach myself SQL right now), but reading that I would rather have the mumps than work on MUMPS. That sample code on the bottom, executing operators left to right, case sensitive variables that are defined the first time you reference them. Debugging that would drive me to drink.

I'm a programmer, and I'd probably change careers rather than work with MUMPS.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

Basically while you may think you are living the office space dream, someone in management is well aware they have been screwing you for pay and things and you have found out. You are to important to the company to fire so they are letting you do what you want.

There's no such thing as irreplaceable. You'll get the boot the day the new guy starts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

At my second job, I made the mistake of mentioning that I've used Linux before and that I know my way around the command line.

:v: Congratulations, Volmarias, you're porting our flagship project to various flavors of Unix! You can use the previous versions as a guide, whose ported source code only exists on those particular machines.
:stare: I wait what?

The fun part was that a month later, they hired someone else who had Unix development experience. She was worse than I was, and probably paid twice as much :gonk:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KoB posted:

I got a guy asking me for help on setting up his operating system. "What did you do :stare:"

Turns out he wanted to set up his signature in outlook.

You threw me off there for a minute, I thought you were saying that he tried to change his signature in Outlook and ended up having to flatten and reinstall the OS, which is something we would have needed details about.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

rolleyes posted:

Someone just called me and when I picked up all I heard was chewing noises. I said "hello?" and got no response, so I hung up. So far, no call back.

:psyduck:

Congratulations on your first butt dial!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Renegret posted:

Usually I'll say something along the lines of "Cool I'll just take the credit for your work then"

Then I send the meaningless e-mail and take meaningless credit for their meaningless work.

(This happens way too often but I really don't mind it)

When this has happened for me, it generally meant "OK, we just had a meeting where we agreed to something and now we should share that thing. One of us should send an email about it, but it doesn't really matter who. Would you mind doing it?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

And here I am, salary exempt, just going to work and coming home (or not going to work, since I'm on paternity leave) and money magically appears in my checking account every two weeks like clockwork.

:smaug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I haven't filled out a time sheet since, I think, 2007?

If your organization can't figure out what you're doing without requiring you to enter a cost center in a time sheet, your org has bigger problems.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Renegret posted:

How do you track overtime then?

I don't think anything's wrong with a time sheet (Unless you're salaried), but I don't see why it needs to be more complicated than "Enter time you worked"

I phrased that poorly. If your time is getting billed to customers, or you work hourly, you definitely need a time sheet and that makes sense. My rhetorical question was why you would need to fill one out if you're salaried, don't get overtime, and your supervisor nominally knows what you're doing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

asur posted:

Because there is no way a supervisor has an accurate hourly estimate for how long everyone that is under him spends on tasks. It also keeps a record of how long something actually took to complete and thus can be used as a basis for estimates.

:doh:

Yeah, stupid me. I've forgotten a time when anyone wanted an hour by hour estimate of what I've done. I'm too used to doing projects that take days or weeks, or referring to tickets by name.

Nevermind!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

the time my friend was on a job interview and excused himself to use the bathroom and the interviewer followed him into the bathroom and continued the interview at the urinals.

What would you say your best attribute is? :pervert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ottoman posted:

$14K, $27K

Is this in USD? If so, wow. You realize that you were not even making the Federal(!) minimum wage at your last job, right?

No wonder everyone is freaking out; there's no chance that they'll find someone who will work for less than minimum wage to do more than flip burgers and who will stick around for five weeks, let alone five years.

Congrats on your :yotj: I guess, but gently caress you've gotta find a better job immediately because that's still a shamefully low salary.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

I wish more people would do this. All you do is get everyone else around you sick.

Of course, it's not like anyone gets sick days anymore.

Unlimited sick days on the honor system checking in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ottoman, you should probably get the heck out of Pennsyltucky if you want a real job, preferably one that isn't "Whatever computer stuff needs to be done I guess." Alternately, start working for the devil Comcast. I hope you're at least applying for government aid programs.

$8/hr take home pay :negative:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Defenestration posted:

Old work got a ping pong table.

Enjoy your ping pong tournaments, old coworkers. I'll enjoy my job that doesn't suck :smug:

My last job had the Ping Pong tables in the cafeteria set up as meeting rooms for Outlook, since a LOT of people liked to play Ping Pong, and it was just the easiest way to reserve them.

I had to scramble for a room at the last minute a couple of times because I accidentally booked a Ping Pong table for a phone screen, and was both confused and annoyed when someone finally told me where the "rooms" were.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's OK if you have a useless degree, if you have real work experience doing relevant things for a job. You're still tragically underemployed if you have a brain and you're doing IT. At least you're making minimum wage now!

Have you considered making a BFC post?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 5, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Golden Bee posted:

You need to read some Ramit Sethi or literlaly any biz-dev, because there's more to life than minimum wage. Build skills, learn to code, do anything, because going from broke-to-not requires a lot of self knowledge and change.

Yeah, pretty much this. I assumed that you were actually in IT, since I've seen you post on the SH/SC complaint threads. Take a look at getting certs or otherwise stepping up your game.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm in the Bay Area, we don't believe in things like business casual. Our developers will wear flip flops to work if they drat well feel like it.

I personally just wear button down dress shirts, an occasional blazer, jeans, and some nice shoes. Its about as formal as it gets in the engineering department. You have to go over to the business-side of the building to see people wearing more business casual clothes.

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences5/suit

I thought this was relevant to this discussion.

I wear slippers at work. :dukedog:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ottoman posted:

I'll mostly be answering phones. What the hell do the people on the phone care what I look like?! I simply do not understand "professional" attire.

The idea is that by dressing professionally, you more easily get yourself mentally into a state where you act professionally. I think that it's a nice idea to do it IF YOU WANT TO (I've done it for short bursts when I was feeling punchy), but making it mandatory is just obnoxious.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

As for the people who spell it out every time, it's probably just ingrained habit from having their name spelled wrong every. single. loving. time. that they don't spell it out.

ftfy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

At my last job, we had stand up meetings that would involve some people rambling, until I took it upon myself to let everyone know that I would be the jerk who would start pointing at my watch and clearing my throat when someone went over. It helped a lot. Of course, this only worked because the PM running the meeting was chill, and everyone knew what I was doing ahead of time and was OK with it.

If you have a job where being squeaky wheel isn't going to get you written up, try being that jerk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MightyJoe36 posted:

I would even go as far as to carry this into going out in public. Yes, I think that it was pretty ridiculous to put on a suit and tie/dress and high heels to go to the grocery store, but now you see people walking around in pajamas. I think we've taken "dressing down" a little bit too far.

But how do you know that you'll get the right ketchup if you aren't in the right mindset? You might get store brand by accident! :ohdear:

I'm glad that you're both nowhere near any organization I work at. A formal dress code when your employees aren't going to see external customers or uptight upper management is just going to make them resent you.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 12, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xibanya posted:

What the gently caress? Outside of the person I invited also being a gossipy cretin who I won't be going to lunch with any longer, what is this, high school? Can I report this to HR? I'm so fukkin mad you have no idea.

It probably wasn't phrased in any way that would be actionable. Being catty isn't really a workplace offense, just a crime against sensibility. If you two work on the same team, you might want to see about moving to another one, but unless she's harassing you HR will just say "uh huh" and forget it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Aristotle Animes posted:

Separate your personal life from work. Do not socialize with coworkers outside of lunches/happy hours and other social events where it's just work people. Your life will be so much better.

Don't do this, some of my closest friends are coworkers that I socialized with outside of business functions. Just don't be afraid to drop someone who is an rear end.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Poop Cupcake posted:

A lot of the 'engineers' and 'programmers' we rent out have absolutely no idea how to use email. They need to be walked through sending an attachment, and don't even think about asking some of them to open a .zip file. They can't plug in a printer, much less install drivers. They have masters degrees in computer science or engineering from schools in India, and we place them at client companies for sometimes upwards of $90 an hour. I think they float between assignments and use corporate bureaucracy to their advantage so nobody notices how totally ineffective they are. Once they get caught, they float over to another position at another company and the cycle begins again.

That sounds about right. When I worked at Samsung several years ago, we hired some contractors. Most were actually pretty good, but a few were utterly useless, as in "literally do not know how to program and spent all day looking at websites for arranged marriages instead" useless. This apparently isn't an uncommon occurrence, since the idea was to pad out the billing by stuffing a few low paid duds in with the good workers. Best case, they bill for more people, worst case the dead weight gets flown home but the good contractors stay.

I got my first contractor fired for incompetence after talking to my boss at the time, and was pretty hesitant and sad about the whole thing. Now, I'm just merciless and heartless when it comes to people who should never have gotten hired in the first place. :black101:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Asking if someplace uses Lotus Notes is like asking if there's "Nude November." It belongs in the bucket of deal breakers so improbable that it's not worth explicitly asking about, so why ask?

I mean, I cannot comprehend someone switching TO Lotus Notes ityool 2014.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Roundboy posted:

Lotus notes: forget my credentials, and force me to log in again.

Why would this be a function key?! :psyduck:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you get there extra early you don't have to work late! :pseudo:

(Don't be that guy who gets in at 5 and peaces out at 2, everyone hates that guy)

Don't listen to this guy. If your manager is ok with it, work whatever schedule is best for you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

At my first job at an e-learning oriented high stakes testing company, we implemented evaluations as something to give to client employees. You had to be signed into the system to take it so that you could be marked as complete, but the results were intentionally decoupled from the user to prevent surveys results from being linked to specific employees. There was a minimum threshold before viewing results to help prevent figuring out the first responders' responses, etc.

Not foolproof by any stretch, but not the worst.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thomamelas posted:

I got to dump a bucket of ice water on my boss as part of the workday. Improved my job satisfaction immensely. We need to see if every six months we can start up some sort of viral ways to torture our bosses that they do to show how in touch they are.

The car battery and testicles challenge :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xandu posted:

Some new guy just started last week and he sits in the cubicle next to mine. Nice guy, but he likes to randomly come up behind me and see what I'm working on.

Like wtf.

Indulge him and give him a smooch?

He probably just wants work friends, it will work itself out eventually. Tell him you're busy in the meanwhile.