Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sundae posted:

Also, remember that this is a company where the CEO transitioned seamlessly from talking about our wonderful safety culture/record into a minute of silence for a technician who got electrocuted in her monthly presentation.

The mental disconnects here are pretty amazing.

Are you in Michigan? This sounds eerily familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

E: maybe i shouldn’t

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 18, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

You should be telling every media outlet you can contact about that poo poo.

e: They got to him :tinfoil:

Just quickly realized that it isn't the wisest idea to connect dots without better facts so flippantly, from the hand that feeds in these times.

If I find anything concrete and not speculations I will not hesitate to though.

They've been acting very responsibly during this in every other regard.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 18, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Midjack posted:

I mean I’d be curious with what they’re doing with an intermodal container of cool whip, a vuvuzela, and sixty weed eaters too!

The aristocrats!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

If you can PM it to me I'd be interested.

I'd rather not foment more conspiracy so I'll spill it here.

I irresponsibly threw an accusation that my company was burying a covid connection to a recent employee death. I actually have no facts to suggest that and was being overly cynical and sharing too much. They really have been on top of sequestering everyone and pushing for social distancing for the past week and a half so it would actually be uncharacteristic. It was hasty.

Now, if I did find out the contrary with facts, I will absolutely start blowing whistles.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I irresponsibly threw an accusation that my company was burying a covid connection to a recent employee death. I actually have no facts to suggest that and was being overly cynical and sharing too much. They really have been on top of sequestering everyone and pushing for social distancing for the past week and a half so it would actually be uncharacteristic. It was hasty.

Now, if I did find out the contrary with facts, I will absolutely start blowing whistles.

I'm an rear end in a top hat, they're waiting for testing to come back before next steps and actively planning a public and internal communication plan if it is related. Just heard on a senior leader call.

I feel silly for jumping to conclusions. Situation getting the best of me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Just quickly realized that it isn't the wisest idea to connect dots without better facts so flippantly, from the hand that feeds in these times.

If I find anything concrete and not speculations I will not hesitate to though.

They've been acting very responsibly during this in every other regard.

TraderStav posted:

TraderStav posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat, they're waiting for testing to come back before next steps and actively planning a public and internal communication plan if it is related. Just heard on a senior leader call.

I feel silly for jumping to conclusions. Situation getting the best of me.

Following up on this tirade from the other day. The death still has not been confirmed COVID (not sure someone is actually testing) but there have been multiple other people testing positive from the facility that hadn’t been in the office for a week when I posted. Since then we’ve had at least a half dozen locations with positive tests and each one has been immediately shut down, cleaned, and the folks working there sent into self-quarantine.

So, yeah, I got it all wrong. They have been extremely aggressive with shutting things down as soon as there is any evidence of infection.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

If you think this embiggens your point, you're wrong.

Everyone gets out of sorts when I use that one, I double down then.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I use an MDM app to get my outlook/webex/timesheet app functional. It doesn't let them do anything outside of the sandbox. It's fine.

Now full MDM stuff on your personal phone I wouldn't do.

Curious, do you know the platform they chose? I'm being migrated to Entune this week and believe it won't be an issue, but it'd be good to get at least one data point outside my company.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I think it's the Microsoft Authenticator. All I had to do was type some special URL to get it rolling, and every time my password changes I need to authenticate it again so my apps start working.

Ah, that's what we have now. Apparently we're moving to a more sandboxed product. Which in principle I like, you take this corner here and if something goes wrong, nuke it. But it's still more control than I like on my personal device.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Remember: your job is to coach, encourage and allow your employees to do their job better, not to do the job yourself.

Pass on praise, accept criticism.

Absolutely this. Focus on replacing yourself by developing your people to do so. Give them challenging assignments and support to complete them. Rinse,repeat for as long as it takes so that you replicate you as many times as possible. Then people will see how well you develop and bring people up.

Makes it easier to move you/promote you when your replacement is obvious.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

One more thing. Cultivate an environment where you don't make any decisions. Encourage your team to only bring you opportunities to provide input and that they make decisions that you support. Of course, your opportunity for input precedes their action so you can interject.

In reverse, do this for your leader. Bring FYI and opportunities to provide input and make decisions. I LOVE sending notes like, "Here is the information.... I'll be sending this over at 4p today. Please let me know if you have any input ahead of that."

Then you do it, no waiting for them and you have cover if they dislike it but never responded. Shows that you are taking action but not blindly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

This only works if your boss isn't a sociopath. And given that they're at least a director in a corporation, the odds aren't good.

Everything still applies. You provide opportunity for input and you don't ask them for a decision. If they demand to make one, that's your input.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah I usually brief the facts and offer two options.

As a manager you’re successful when you basically don’t have to do dick day to day except dealing with the higher ups. Your day to day work outside of management should be minimal.

I just transitioned to a new role in my company and eventually got my prior team running to a point where I really did absolutely nothing all day except talk over problems my people were trying to solve. It felt like cheating. But then I realized that it's exactly what my company wants me to do. Build processes, accountability, systems, and technology to have the organization work without brute force from a leader.

Now I'm back at the start trying to not drown, completely opposite experience.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can't slow down essentially services like

Postcards

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The TikTok shared the other day comparing corporations to religions is spot on.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

greazeball posted:

Imagine startup culture... in space!

I've seen For All Mankind, thanks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Had my last day on Friday. No one reached out for an exit interview and my manager no-showed our usual scheduled Friday afternoon 1:1. Only thing I got was an automated email from HR asking me to fill out an exit survey that takes 60 seconds. :lol: no, get hosed.

Also had my boss ask me earlier in the week to write my feedback for her and my team, "no matter how harsh it may be". I politely declined, I ain't falling for that poo poo. So glad to be done with this company and how utterly unprofessional and chaotic my team has been over the last couple of years. My only real regret is that I didn't bail back when the whole "no more WFH!" incident happened three years ago, but eh, live and learn. I got to add another team/set of skills to my resume, along with a promotion and some money to go with it. So it's not all bad.

Good move on skipping the opportunity to vent. In a couple weeks you'll have moved on and forgotten about it and it would have only served as a potential negative in the future, even if a remote possibility. Zero upside as we all know that nothing will change with your feedback.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fourier Series posted:

Is this a joke? Or is it really that tone of sport commentating for the Excel championships?

I don't know, but I'm on the edge of my seat here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Data reduction for executives i like 90% of my job. I like pivot tables. I can change the data as fast as they change their minds, arbitrarily.

You want to REALLY impress those executives? Get a license for ThinkCell and bring your PowerPoint game to the big leagues.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My execs keep calling it RTW and I find that insulting as hell.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sundae posted:

Can we keep our hatred focused on C-Suites and maybe not fellow goons who not also just being poo poo on by their bosses, but who have to deal with the UCMJ instead of just getting fired? And Zaurg. Always focus hatred on Zaurg.

Has he been active recently? I miss his insane threads.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

When I was told that there was a hostile takeover of the corporate thread, this is absolutely not what I expected.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

PowerPoint with the ThinkCell addin is all that you need.

Just make up the numbers and create the most bespoke waterfall charts

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Did my mid year review today with chatGPT and it was an incredible experience. Fed it a few bullets of accomplishments and the format of the review template. A couple back and forth exchanges and I had the best one I've ever written. Just incredible stuff.

I have no guilt since the content was all mine, but I outsourced all the flowery corporate prose and perfunctory bullshit. 10/10, would use again

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vasudus posted:

They're making everyone do goals for this cycle. I stopped doing that bullshit years ago and everyone in my first few lines of management has as well. The email was full of additional lovely corporate bullshit like "build your personal brand" and other nonsense.

I asked ChatGPT to make me something.

I'm gonna workshop it a tiny bit more but whatever, this will do.

Goddamned this is great.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Trabant posted:

The apology letter:

my recent post on "Hitler" :thunk:

I see future posts such as:

"How to learn decisiveness from Stalin"
"Mao's struggle sessions"
“Economic lessons from Pol Pot: How a skull based economy impacts long term GDP growth”

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Solution(final).pdf

Solution_vF_rev1.pdf at my company

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Outlook mobile updated and replaced the location of the Calendar with an Apps menu and I am so loving mad about this. My muscle memory is ruined.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

God ChatGPT is phenomenal for writing up my self review once I give it a list of things. Game changer

I did mine a few weeks back and it was incredible. My boss reacted as I expected by completely not reading mine but I saved a ton of time in manufacturing it to be overlooked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm e-lated to make your acquaintance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Car Hater posted:

Lmao I want to be on the call between the two of them just to :munch:

Personal news, I've exhausted my tolerance (and good weather) for building decks and working on friends houses, and have fallen rear end-backwards into somehow having 3 offers to choose from. Two would keep me as an IC in engineering, both involve a substantial move to exciting (and potentially hurricane-prone) new locales. The third keeps me in Detroit (better for family and current financial situation, but I'm sick of Detroit) but would have me as a project manager for our local utility. There are a few other factors to consider, like overwork at one IC role (45-50 a week expected), and the fact that the utility PM role is not direct hire. I'd be juggling some big projects but no reports or anything, and it would be nice to get out of my current field, but I do not trust them when they say it would likely be a year later that I get reviewed for conversion to direct. They've already been dragging rear end getting me the formal offer on account of a re-org so I feel kind of sketched out about the corporate BS levels, but to be fair the hiring manager has just stepped into his role and apparently doesn't have the clout to bend the necessary VP schedules to his whim, something about all offers getting signed at once and then that's it they're done hiring til next year.

What's the thread's take on the value of a PM role on a resume? Not as good as an actual manager, better than an IC? I'm reading it like a chance to put big numbers on there and get a chance to go just about anywhere in a couple years since solar is only going up and everyone needs power, but again the BS seems strong and I've learned to never trust a corporation (thanks BFC!)

Hey there! Good to hear you're making some traction. We're in a straight hiring freeze while we await the outcome of our rate case and this new legislation going through the house will dramatically shift our investments to more renewables off of the distribution system (yay power outages coming). I haven't forgotten about you, but have absolutely nothing I can do with your information at the moment.

If you do take on the PM role, hit me up as I can help you onboard and get to know the lay of the land, etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Communicate exclusively through email going forward, including the requested good morning. Walk by her without acknowledging her, sit at your desk, and send the email.

More seriously, definitely email a lot to provide evidence that is likely to be contrary to any stories she's going to start whipping up about you. Congrats, you got yourself a work nemesis.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Zero One posted:

We have a return to office mandate in January. Three days a week for employees. Four for managers.

I have been told by my boss that our location has more people than desks. Would the solution be to allow some people to continue to WFH until more office space can be acquired?

No, stupid. Everyone must be back in the office in January!

So what is the current plan?

Sharing desks.

gently caress me.

Need that meme:
Hot bunking? :(
Hot desking? :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

"These unprecedented times" is making a comeback

I work for a highly underperforming Electric utility and we’ve been having historic 50-100 year extreme weather storms every 1-2 years now. Guessing the baseline hasn’t been updated to account for our historically underinvested infrastructure.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lockback posted:

This is a ogod joke.

Now I want to debate if Jesus was simultaneously the CEO's son and Vice President of North American Revenue or if he could only exist as one of those.

Picking the wrong way to refer to him can get you fired/burned at a stake.

I believe Jesus was Chief Evangelist in Product Development.

I need to stay off LinkedIn.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nybble posted:

Any time we need to discuss something later, I’m gonna suggest we “middle click it” (and never close that tab but also never look at it again)

Did you just give a middle click?!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm sick of taking things offline, lets loving go now

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

The best presentation I saw was when our director finished up our objectives for the year by playing Jerry Reed's Eastbound and Down and having the select lyrics fly in in time with the music:

- We're Gonna Do What They Say Can't Be Done
- We've got a long way to go
- And a short time to get there

It was pointless "motivational" bullshit but I admired the chutzpah of just playing a forty year old country song as a summary.

Smdh if you haven't used the Kenny Powers intro to starting in the Mexican leagues as a team building ice breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

I actually got something to open today in Sheets. When I went to make changes, it said I had lost access and needed to reopen with no changes, fml

I hate that I cannot do ctrl/command-D in Sheets and copy the cell above it, and instead bookmarking the page :(