Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

I've never found the Mk4s to be that bad, really. My Jetta VR6 has 170,000k miles on it and it still drives like new. All the windows still work, too, and there's no check engine light. You do have to watch out for door modules, as they break and you're effectively required to lock/unlock the car remotely, rather than with the key.

Ha, the door modules were the only thing on my MKIV Jetta that didn't go wrong.

Ok, I'm in Paris right now, and I keep seeing Golfs and Polos, and I have to ask, what exactly is the main difference that VW uses to justify selling two compact hatchbacks in the same market? I'm sure there's a real difference, but aside from a few cosmetic things, visually I can't tell.

And yes, I know in the states there's the Golf/Rabbit and GTI (two compact hatchbacks in the same market), but I'm aware of the difference there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The Polo is a step smaller.

Thank you. I kinda noticed that today while walking around, though I do prefer the headlights on the Polo.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

primitive posted:

Will lowering springs cause premature suspension wear in my car? I have an early 2007 GTI, and the stock springs for that car make it look like a minivan. The switch to the lower ride height happened about a month after my car was produced. What I'm wondering is if I switch to springs that lower me to late-07 OEM equivalent, do I risk premature wear to any other parts of the suspension that might be tuned for the higher ride height?

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_6_8697_19901_19918_19919&info=Eibach_85100.140_Pro-Kit_Springs&products_id=1849

I've got the VW sport springs on my '08 Rabbit (which as veedubfreak said, are just rebranded Eibach springs). I'd say as long as you stick with the official VW springs you shouldn't have any trouble with premature wear. I haven't so far, anyway. I've had mine on since a few months after I bought it in 2008, and couldn't be happier with them, both from a style and performance standpoint. Plus, if a VW tech installs them, they will adjust your current setup to match up with the new springs and your suspension warranty will remain intact.

If I recall, the installer even asked me if I was putting them on for performance or if I just wanted my car slammed. I told him both looks and performance, and he adjusted as such. They probably could have even gone a bit lower, but I've been pretty happy with the results. I was like you, in that I hated that it looked too SUV-ish at first.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 6, 2010

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Shubs posted:

Then the second thing is I want to delabel the car. I was told you could just cut off the labels(dealership, Jetta, and 2.5l plastic chrome) with some fishing wire and then set it out in the sun and rub it off with a rag and goo-gone. Is this the proper way to go about this? If not, what is?

This is how I've debadged cars in the past. Take a hair dryer to it or leave it in the sun to get the adhesive soft, and then even dental floss will work in substitute of fishing line.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

You can reprogram those keys yourself as long as you have a spare. It's been a long time since I had to do it, but it involved having one key in the ignition and another in the door.

E: from VW vortex:

To program the remote functions on a new key, get in your car with the car off and the driver side window rolled down.

insert the new key into the ignition

insert your vallet key in the driver side door lock (outside the car)

turn the vallet key towards lock and hold it there

while it is held towards lock, press the unlock button on your new remote for
2 seconds.

let go

press it again for 2 seconds

let go and you should hear an alarm honk or something like that.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I had to reprogram mine after changing the battery. This was like 4 years ago on my 2001 Jetta, but it definitely did not work until I reprogrammed it. The battery had been out of the fob for over a year at the time (it had broken and I had to glue it back together), so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

el topo posted:

That may be the same problem I had a while ago on my 2006 A4 (faulty brake switch). Things got handled fairly swiftly at the dealership after I told them what was wrong with it, but they weren't particularly helpful with the diagnosis.

I had over 10 brake light switch replacements in my '01 Jetta. The brake lights would either stay on or not come on at all, but if the brake lights wouldn't come on, it also meant that the car wouldn't come out of park. Talk about a pain in the rear end. I got to where I would just buy a couple of switches and leave them in the car for when the current switch would inevitably fail.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I was looking to get another Golf as my next car until I saw how much the new Passats are going to be. Less than $19,000 for the base model. That's a HUGE price drop from the previous models. They need to start making more VW's in the states.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

If you look at them, get the VIN, and find out when they were fixed. VW and Audi are offering warranties from the date/mileage of the fix that covers pretty much the entire powertrain and exhaust system.

To add to this, if they've been fixed, there will be a sticker on the inside of the hood with the dates that each procedure were completed. I picked up a 2011 TDI sportwagen back in August and according to the sticker, mine had the services done in June. Also, the additional paperwork regarding the new warranty had been inserted into the manual.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/TLpRBvJ.jpg

Here's what mine looks like. It's on the right side of the hood above the battery. I assume any of the TDI's that have had the fix would have them but I could be wrong.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Overall my ‘11 averages right at 35mpg, but probably about 25% of that is city driving.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My '08 Rabbit (no sunroof) had a sagging headliner after like 5 years, but my 2011 JSW with pano sunroof has had no issues with leaks (knock on wood).

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

This Sony is the only one I’ve seen with a volume knob: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV1000/Sony-XAV-AX1000.html

Well, there is this Dual one with a volume knob, but I have no experience with the brand: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XDCP97B/Dual-XDCP97BT.html

Neither of these play CDs.

Personally, I think I like Kenwood’s interface better than any other brand, although I’ve had good luck with Pioneer CarPlay decks as well. Once you’re in CarPlay it doesn’t really matter, but settings menus and whatnot seem easier to access on Kenwoods.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Sure but if it's getting a rear speaker signal to start with you won't be able to trim the bass out of the speakers (because now you have a dedicated subwoofer) without effecting the sub function right? Seems like it's worth wiring it to the head unit if it's possible but I guess I could be being pretty anal about this.

It would be worth doing that if it’s an aftermarket stereo, but if it’s a factory system, getting behind the head unit isn’t going to make a difference.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SlightlyMad posted:

Hello VW/Audi Exorcism Thread. I hope no exorcisms will be needed here.

I am looking at buying a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Variant Comfortline 1,6 TDI 77 with automatic gearshift. It has about 174000km behind it and looks ok in the pictures I've seen so far, passed all inspections three months ago. I will inspect the maintenance documents with a careful eye before I decide one way or another. The climate I would be driving in is Northern European, mostly short distances, in urban areas. I expect that I will not be driving huge numbers of kilometers per year.

In the US these cars would go by the name VW Jetta SportWagen.

Anyone with a similar car? What am I getting myself into? I am not much of a car person, and have two left hands. I would rather just drive this thing around with my family safely in the back and not find myself having to fix some even (minor) catastrophic breakdown, because I do not trust myself in that regard. I am spending what I am comfortable with when buying the car, so the price is acceptable. I do not know what to expect from a Volkswagen, having only driven one rental VW before. I have read some good things about Golfs but what do I know?

There is a tiny spot of rust on a door and some pebble marks on the windscreen. Other than that the dealership is claiming it is ok throughout.

What to do, VW thread, what to do? Buy perhaps, or walk away and keep looking? I like the look of the car, seems like the sort of practical family car I would see myself driving. Not particularly familiar with Diesels. Any tips? Warnings? Do's or Don'ts? Thanks for any opinions.

I've had a 2011 for a little over a year, with no issues to speak of. The car has been very reliable so far.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I wouldn’t recommend a beetle for a new driver. This may not be the most popular opinion in the VW thread, but if you want something older and relatively simple to work on (and plenty of available parts) but also safe, look for a Volvo 240.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I got smoked ones for my JSW on eBay for like 25 bucks.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

They moved up-market in the last 5-10 years I think

Even the old 240's from the 80's were sold as luxury vehicles. (E: actually I think the term used at the time was “semi-luxury”, or something to that effect).

And the turbos had intercoolers from at least the 1984 240 Turbo.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 6, 2021

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My '11 JSP's AC isn't that great either. Full blast and recirculate is the only way to get it to cool the car down, and sometimes that doesn't even do the trick.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fknlo posted:

How reliable have the 2.0 TDI's been after the dieselgate fixes? They're at somewhat tempting prices due to the cost of diesel.

I got a ‘11 JSW TDI in 2019 that had the fix a month prior and it’s been pretty solid so far, although it’s not my main vehicle.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fknlo posted:

I've got a lead on a 2011 JSW TDI for $7k. Under 100k miles and dealer serviced with a couple things done recently. Waiting on the VIN, but even if it has some issues that price is probably too good to pass up unless it's an obvious basket case. 2 new tires too as the guy hit a pothole yesterday. I feel like he might just be done with it.

I've had this same year JSW for 4 years and it's been great so far. I also have the pano sunroof but it hasn't had any issues...yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Proletarian Mango posted:

Could a leaky pano direct water into the drivers foot well? I've got a 2013 Sportwagen TDI, idk if my model would be affected by that lawsuit but it does have a pano and a horrible leak that floods my foot well every time it rains. It developed this leak recently, right before my turbo supposedly went out however that water pours right through my dash electronics, near the OBD2 port. I'm wondering if some electrical thing got cooked.

It’s probably a clogged drain tube, although those tubes can also dry rot. I’ve had the same issue with my 2011 JSW on the front passenger side, and it was a clogged drain.