Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
and who can honestly say that they still don't

from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
all property law is boring until we make it to space

I'm a little jealous of future space lawyers. Or at least the ones who have to make it out for the surveys.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
not too late to drop out of law school

incidentally, not too late to tell your only true friends here at somethingawful.com all the nasty details

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
well if that's the assumption one has to make, I guess I'll never be a notary

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
not #1

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

muni law is my dream job. I did a little work once in that field and had to write an ordinance banning swingers clubs.

look at what government overreach has wrought

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

You bet! Clinton's digital director didn't want it so I put it up on Flippa and handed it off to a broker. The person he ended up selling it to turned out to be Trump's digital director. Now I'm living very happily on Trump money. The website was only getting about 50 visits a day by the time Trump's campaign got it, after most of the media coverage had died down.

Here's my Morning Edition interview about it. Great start to my legal career here in DC: http://www.npr.org/2016/08/17/490314006/clintonkaine-com-pays-off-for-domain-squatter

quote:

GREEN: Yeah, athletes and politicians. But the only politicians who are worth anything are the people who are likely to be president or vice president.

GREENE: Don't tell that to members of Congress (laughter). They might think that they're worth something.

GREEN: Generally, politicians are worthless.
noice

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I just passed off an honest-to-god international law project to a new associate because trial prep.

Thanks for reading.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
i, too, play mini golf at $15 a game

but it's still loving boring as piss

/golfhate

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Arcturas posted:

Absolutely this. Plus I can definitely see echoes of my future self in you, SlyFrog, so I want to help you figure it out so that I know how to sort myself out in 15 years once I have reached the "Partner-ennui" stage of lawyerdom, rather than the "Associate-terror" level I'm at now.

aren't you in litigation?

I don't know how it works on the corporate side of things, but I can definitely see, have definitely seen, the litigation equivalent of this bullshit:

SlyFrog posted:

15+ years of ". . . does hereby indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the previously mentioned party from, against, for, by, under, around, over, and loving between any and all claims, actions, investigations, losses, obligations, tribulations, annihilation, decimations, meditations, United Nations, congratulations . . . ." has utterly destroyed what little bit of writing ability I had.

and actively maneuver myself to avoid it as much as possible because it would kill me in 2 years, not 20

I admit that I have the advantage of being a white male in a larger firm of a secondary market, so I definitely have more agency over what my future holds more than others, but just avoid avoid avoid as much as possible

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I'm a third year associate in litigation. No business development expectations yet but they are definitely on their way.

so, like, develop your business away from that poo poo you don't like (e.g., cozy up to partners/senior associates who are doing the business you do like)

SlyFrog has the major problem of doing a job he absolutely hates. assuming there are types of litigation you like, stick with and hone in on them. avoid his fate. (get well SlyFrog.)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
so I work in "biglaw," mid-size city (big mid-law).

I'm going to talk to a recruiter next week because lol why not. (to cement that I am in mid-law, this is the first actual call I've gotten; all other recruiters have been lovely lazy emails)

what should I ask? I'm envisioning the conversation to be about 5 minutes and to be not informative at all. But someone once told me to always keep my ear to the ground. So, I'm going to take their call that I pushed off to next week.

I like A) the people I work with, B) my paycheck, and C) the city I work in. In that order. So I'm not particularly keen on moving, but I would if I could get SUPER STUPID PAY in NYC (not DC because lol gently caress DC it suuuuuuuuuuucks) or some equivalent pay of what I'm currently getting for an appellate botique (I have a clerkship just not SCOTUS so *fart*).

Basically plz tell me what I should be doing when I talk to this recruiter. Is it really just lay the cards out on the table, or something less soul bearing? My firm cohorts tell me recruiters aren't worth it and you should just work your current contacts, but hey if I could get a stupidly awesome paying job in NYC on my own I would, bro! Are recruiters a waste of time?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Kalman posted:

Recruiters mostly can’t do anything you couldn’t do yourself.

That's why I've been told, hence my skepticism. But then again maybe I'm bad at selling my amazingness so whatever.

Thanks for the input, Vox.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I got you. Any dismissiveness was towards recruiters, not your post.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
i'll be sitting at counsel's table for one of the arguments this year at SCOTUS

still, don't go to law school.

but since i did, that's pretty neat.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
you heard it here, folks. i can't do the new thread, as decreed by thread king. ty nm i always knew you were cool.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

What I actually do when things slow down and I have a spare minute from shitposting is watch let's plays (because I am a working adult now and no longer have the energy or time to get into any game whatsoever). I recently favourited this one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840678

which I'm looking forward to following.

Ask me about my LP recommendations, pro bono.

supergreatfriend's LPs (especially of Deadly Premonition) and the screenshot LP of KOTOR2 were really great. All others fall somewhere on the scale of bad, boring, or enjoyable but not fantastic. I'm open to LP recommendations because playing games is ~effort~.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I LOVE MY JOB ESPECIALLY ASKING 80 YEAR OLD DUDES ABOUT THEY DICK IN FRONT OF THEY WIFE

“Mixed company?”

I never took you for the sensitive type. Though nice job on getting dick on the record.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

echopapa posted:

I found out that opposing counsel in one of my cases has a 9500 square foot house in which every single room is themed on a different Disney film.

Here there be monsters.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Green Crayons posted:

i'll be sitting at counsel's table for one of the arguments this year at SCOTUS

still, don't go to law school.

but since i did, that's pretty neat.

Follow up now that the term's over. We won. It was fun.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Many jurisdictions bar malpractice claims in criminal litigation if the plaintiff cannot prove actual innocence. So providing ineffective assistance won't lead to a civil malpractice action unless if the client can additionally prove actual innocence.

I actually think that's a good idea in light of the basic trial by surprise that is criminal law these days, but only if it coincided with courts taking a look at counsel's conduct with an actually critical eye in habeas proceedings. But lol at everything I just said.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

This week's situation:

My client insists her husband is cheating on her with another woman. Insists on it.

I bring up this concern with OC. He says there's no other woman.

My client goes "I got a picture of her from one of his friends" and shows it to me three days later.

The other woman? Also my client.

I call OC, tell him I'm probably out due to a conflict. Client 1 and Client 2 both beg me to remain as lawyer and even say they'll sign conflict waivers. I think I need to get out from Client 1 because the same loving judge is hearing both cases.

He says, "Found out about Kim, huh?"

Fucker. He knew the whole time.

That whole situation is hosed up.

Client 1 (wife) is friends with client 2 (friend) who is friends with client 3 (girlfriend). Client 2's husband cheated on her with Client 4. Client 5 is Client 1's mom.

So out of 7 people, I've represented 5 of them.

lol multiplied by infinity

I look forward to seeing how this all blows up, hopefully on the courthouse steps.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Just using the delete button:

blarzgh posted:

Ok guy, tone police this email for me before I send it:

Dear OC,

I see that you called. it appears you only wanted to demand that my client dismiss it's lawsuit against yours.

I thought you wanted to discuss the opportunity I had offered your other client to testify about her agreement to conspire with the one you're now also representing to commit fraud against my client, and the tortious interference your new client engaged in.

Regards,
An Annoyed Blarzgh

Being a lawyer is e z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Career office called me today because a class action firm needs someone and I fit the bill. Meeting with them thursday. Anyone do much class action litigation?

Sup. Defense side, here, though. Don't know what you're looking at.

Class action litigation has specific practice areas (consumer deception; personal injury; financial poo poo; etc.). Mostly in federal court because CAFA but sometimes you get stuck in a lovely state court system, so there's variety! The bigger the firm you're with, the higher dollar value cases you're defending against, meaning you typically aren't doing poo poo cases. For whatever that's worth.

If it's a plaintiffs' firm you're interviewing with, it seems you want to stick with smaller (so you can eventually buy in) and already has hit some major wins/settlements or at least is already well known in whatever community they market to. At least that's what I get from the plaintiffs-side class action attorneys I know and shoot the poo poo with.

Speaking from a defense perspective, class litigation is mildly cookie-cutter and comes down to developing experts and class motions practice (on top of the Rule 12 and MSJ motions practice). The FRCP 23 arguments are mostly well established, but individual case fact situations and some uncertainty resulting from recent SCOTUS decisions allows for some novel arguments. You'll never go to trial in a class case--it'll settle after the class certification motion is decided, one way or the other. Plaintiffs side is probably mostly the same, except trying to stave off bad SCOTUS decisions and more legwork in developing the facts that cram into FRCP 23.