Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I think my favorite part is that it has like 20,000 likes and the rest of the posts on the blog have 6 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Only if your bracket's particularly bad.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

BigHead posted:

Pfft. .300 aint nothing. Up here we have a .700 club, with a plaque and everything. Anything above .4 is notable, sure, but you don't get real recognition until you get above .500 DUIs.

Yikes.

Highest I've gotten is a .380. Driving straight as an arrow and pulled over for a busted tail light, of course.

Edit: Honorable mention to the guy who blew .340 at noon.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

Florida has the worst loving prosecutors.

If prosecutors reviewed it and figured there wasn't enough there originally, seems like more of an example of why you don't give charging decisions to the media.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

nm posted:

The problem was that it wasn't properly reviewed at the beginning. That was the major issue.
However, I can see where reasonable doubt comes from. Remember that if the jury paid attention to the instructions, they only had to find some reasonable doubt as to murder. If they thought there is some possibility that he was acting in self-defense, they had to acquit. Apparently, FL's manslaughter laws are not as broad as California's, which would have caught him in an imperfect self-defense theory.
Admittedly, many juries ignore reasonable doubt, but I have issues criticizing a jury in a close case like this. I think Zimmerman wanted to kill a black guy, buy I'm not 100% that that is beyond a reasonable doubt, maybe. Remember this is supposed to be a very high standard to reach.

This is unlike Casey Anthony, where an arrogant prosecutor decline the lessers. Here they asked for them-- problem is that FL law sucks.

Yeah, we use a similar self-defense instruction, and it leads to some odd verdicts sometimes.

Not following the case very closely, my understanding's been that the DA looked at it, figured "we're not gonna win that one," turned it down, and then the governor got involved.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

So when is law school supposed to get hard?

Around the time finals are coming up.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Not necessarily, there's always being a barista.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I like my job too, but I'm still gonna be an astronaut when I grow up.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

zzyzx posted:

*shrug* I'm having fun. It's like junior high on steroids, really. :)

I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Suitchat: I desperately need to replenish my suit supply, also going for my first tuxedo. Two questions:

1) Navy, charcoal gray, and _____?
2) What the gently caress is a tuxedo what am I doing here.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Most everyone who posts here has been in your position and can talk about it with the benefit of hindsight, and we probably have enough HLS grads to field a kickball team by now.

If I read you right, you're not even in undergrad yet. I'd suggest doing that part first and then not taking anyone's advice.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've seen that thing enough that I can click right to the part where P. Barnes fires the taser and it's always satisfying.

You're restricting my freedom of movement!

Yes I am. :smugdog:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Confession is good for the soul.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

But people are WRONG on the INTERNET

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

I AM OUTRAGED ABOUT SOMETHING I CLEARLY DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!

D&D in a nutshell, really.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What us Dragon age, why do all the lawyers in this thread play it, and do you think my sorry work computer can run it.

Far Cry is better, play that

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Smerdyakov posted:

All questions of justice aside, it sucks to work there, having seen it firsthand.

I would leave this part out when interviewing.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Jeannie Suk posted:

Students seem more anxious about classroom discussion, and about approaching the law of sexual violence in particular, than they have ever been in my eight years as a law professor.

Good lord, I remember being in her very first class and her being all nervous as hell with the rest of us. :3:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I think SV's a little jealous. :3:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I'm not sure why you would go an ivy at all if not for the ability to lord it over people and the lifetime J Crew discount.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Toona the Cat posted:

More like #TheIsraelStruggle

:golfclap:

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

At least she took SedanChair with her like a true jihadi, that dude is the worst

Doing God's work.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Roberts makes a reasonable sounding appeal to judicial restraint that I happen to disagree with, but holy poo poo, Scalia. Preach it, you crazy bastard.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

joat mon posted:

Not at the office today.

Did you get up to 88 miles per hour?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

nm posted:

If I ever meet P Barnes, I'm buying him a beer.
:kingsley: you are blocking my way
:clint: yes I am

:commissar: Joinder created.

Ladies and gentlemen, I know you have some budget and privacy concerns, but *plays video* don't you want to see more of this?

*millions of dollars materialize for universal body cams*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Lawyer & Law School Megathread the 13th: Hey, are you Jewish?