Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

AB posted:

I like shoving the NBC hose into my jumpsuit as makeshift air conditioning.

Look at this A1 ridin' scrub.

SEP supremacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just caught your reply before you edited it, and just saw the resource thing myself, so I better turn this into something resourcefulish.

What's the deal with the A2 SEPs overheating with the aircon on? I've heard a lot about it, but never seen it. I'm about to go out to gunnery in about 6 weeks, so maybe I'll see it there. But except for a rare breaker tripping, I haven't seen the overheating problem yet.

It doesn't really matter to me, cause HRC turned me into a scout so I'll be driving those noisy gently caress Bradleys or a HMMWV in about 3 months, but I was curious.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Pretty drat tempting, but no, not I.

I remember back in basic training that one of the TCs teaching us how to drive got a phone call from his wife that he took whilst hanging out of the cupola. Apparently it was a nasty call so he ordered the driver to smash the tank through a bunch of trees. Eventually piled into a mud pit so big that they stepped off of the back deck and onto the ground. Took two 88's to drag it out.

There's also a guy in my company right now who has hit pretty much everything in existence. A POV, other tanks, a tank belonging to another nation, scraped up a fueler, a few little trees, and about 40 metres of metal guard on the side of the road when he fell asleep.

He's still a driver though, so whatever.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Just Dont Look posted:

As long as you avoid Area 1, you really won't have a bad time in Korea.

:mad:

For reals though it sucks bad. Sorry if you end up here.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They might even still have the 10 dollar t shirts, which is always good value for bumming around in.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
CO doesn't have an open door policy? Normally it'd be a bit dicky to use it for that, but drat, a couple of months? Time to get that poo poo done.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

No no no...go in there knowing EXACTLY what you want. Seriously. Get it in your contract, even if it means you have to wait a couple of months. If you don't, you're going to be a cop or worse, no matter how good your ASVAB was. Don't let the AF pick your job: THEY WILL PUT YOU IN THE JOB NOBODY WANTS BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT'S AVAILABLE NOW.

That ain't no crazy talk. For reals, you should listen to this.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah dude, sorry, that sucks. If you read back through previous Army threads, you'll find a lot of bitching in them about Korea, particularly Area I. Curfews, mass punishments, stupid regulations, stupid training, no freedom, alerts at 0300 in the morning because the BN CO got into a fight with his juicy girl and wants to make everyone suffer, and basically you can expect to get a knock on your door at any hour because

SumYungGui posted:

you'll get hosed into OMG SUPAR SERIOUS VERY IMPORTANT 24 HOUR GUARD SHACK DUTY and the instant you're done some pencil pushing 9-5 cock stain will demand you attend a mandatory safety power point briefing so he can change a box from yellow to green in excel and will lecture you about 'Sometimes you have to stay past 1600 and do a little extra, soldier/sailor/airman!' because he's not really 9-5.

sums it up pretty good.

There are, however, a few things you can do to make it a bit more bearable.

1. If you are a tanker, get assigned to 1-72. Motherfuckers have plenty of days off, and don't do stupid retarded hooah poo poo. You do tank stuff, and do tons of gunneries (which can be gay because of Korean winter), but you'll get shitloads of actual tank training, and blow up tons of stuff which is pretty sweet.

2. Avoid 2-9 like the plague. Some of the leadership has been replaced for the better, but it's run by infantry so it's dumb, and a huge injury factory. Also, gunneries are run like the biggest poo poo shows you've ever seen, meaning that something that should take 2 weeks will take 6 or 7. Some leadership believe that you should sleep on your vehicle, and will have you do so in -25 temp with rain, whilst other units will be warm and cozy in oh so lovely heated tents. The Manchu Mile is also mandatory for every one, which despite the previous commands claims of "a handful of injuries", is actually a company sized element of people that get hosed up in the name of hooah or whatever. For every other unit it's optional, so if you manage to dodge this bullet, don't be a hooah volunteer, because it's dumb and should be stopped.

3. 4-7 is for scouts and infantry and poo poo, and it's pretty much like 2-9. The only difference is is that you'll get to join in on some super whiz bang training, usually involving helicopters, which sounds awesome. Then you realize that it's the Army, and you'll be carrying a Javelin, an AT-4, a 240, body armor, and aruck and have to jump out, resulting in stupid injuries, and lots of them.

4. To avoid the institutionalized stupidity, try to get into pretty much any HHC. Or S1, those mother fuckers are lazy and usually ditch work by 1530. Last option is you could make a run for the mail room, but that's 6 days a week, but a good option for getting out without being maimed by stupid leadership.

5. Put in for a pass every weekend, even if you don't go anywhere. You'll thank me for this.

6. Avoid what they call The Ville. Actually, go once, finger bang a juicy girl, pay for some over priced drinks for them, and then you can say you've done it. Save up a few bucks and catch the train down to Seoul, and actually see that South Korea isn't a third world country after all.

7. Curfew is dumb and gay. If you think you are running it close, just stay out. Jump on the train, ride it back and forth if you want to do it the cheap way, or grab a cheap motel and sleep it off. No poo poo, they will take your rank and gently caress you up. Unless you are an officer, and then you get a finger waggled at you.

8. Go on the MWR trips if they sound awesome, like the quad bike trail. It's easy to turn into a barracks rat, because you will get sick of the stupidity of almost everyone around you very quickly.

9. Learn a bit of Korean. Not much, things like please, thank you, excuse me, how much, how are you. Koreans tend to be a little wary of Americans, because, well, we act pretty much like poo poo to Koreans. It turns out when soldiers find a common group that they consider below them, institutionalized racism is pretty common. You learn a bit of Korean though, and people will open up a whole lot more, and be extremely friendly.

10. And this is my last bit of advice for right now, if you've got any kind of juice, any kind of favor to call in it, any kind of pull, try and get stationed at Yongsan. Place is easily the most chill post you are likely to find in all of the Army, and you are 5 minutes away from the heart of Seoul. poo poo totally owns.

Plenty of dudes on the forums here have been to Korea, if you've got specific questions you could easily get some "this is what it was like back in the day", "this is what it was like a few years back", and "well gently caress this poo poo, today..." responses.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

your lovely eek posted:

You guys make it sound like I should stay at as high an echelon as possible... like 8th Army, ha.

This is exactly what we're saying. It's pretty much the pinnacle of the lower rank you are, the more you get hosed. Not just normal army hosed, EVERYTHING hosed. Basic freedoms, medical care, everything. As an O3 you'll have it pretty good, except if you are a company commander, and dealing with a bunch 18 year old infantry, that's gonna be some solid suckage. If you are gonna get stuck with being a CO, just try and make it a little bit easier on your guys. Don't make anything suck any more than it absolutely has to. Encourage people to go get medical issues looked at (even though there is gently caress all resources, but still).

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend getting as high up the chain as you can. Joe usually ends up hating Korea so much that they don't begrudge anyone who can get up out of the poo poo, and considering you want to get out, making yourself as comfortable as possible would be preferable. Running an S2 shop, for example, would be pretty chill.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
How the gently caress did they die? From lead poisoning in the ground water? Holy gently caress that's terrible.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That new movie with Tom Cruise cracks me the gently caress up. He's like CID or something, and a cop asks him what he does.

"same as you really, except that every suspect of mine is a trained killer."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Yeah, right.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Women around?

All of them. All the time.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And it assumes that the shooters are the cool, calm and collected type, and won't dump an entire nutsack on their 240 at an alleged "muzzle flash" that no one else sees or hears, can actually hit the broad side of their barn with an M4, or that 7 seconds can go by without someone commenting about a sand friend of the family or how muslims are all terrorists, secret Kenyan muslim Obama, Jesus Christ is savior, all fags must die, etc.

I suppose it's nice that they give us the benefit of the doubt, but you could never show reality. Never.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
At your gaining unit ask whoever is in charge to talk to S2. This is fairly important for your job so they'll make sure it happens.

If you are a holdover, you will sit and jerk it most of the day, or if you've got a ball buster in charge it's time for some police call.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Isn't that what those noise makers they shoot out are for?

I think it works the same way, except with sound, and whilst the submarines are slow, so are the torpedoes (relatively to a air launched missile).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
WA has no state income tax? If you buy a car out of state and you are on orders they waive the sales tax?

That's about it, I think.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Woah woah woah woah.

Gentlemen, I was told today that it costs approximately half a million bucks to fuel up a tank. I don't think this can be right, but it came from a fairly reliable source. Is this true?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I just looked that up, as I figured the DoD would have it published as part of their budget.

$3.73 per gallon is the most recent figure I can find.

That is a far cry from a half million bucks to fill the front tanks and the rear. I'll put that down to PNN at the O5 level.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If there's a group of infantry: ideally, and hilariously, load up a can round and unleash unholy hell.

More realistically, however, you would use your 7.62mm coax, and aim dead center and pop of 10 - 20 rounds. When your coax is boresighted properly it's like a loving laser beam. And with the distance to target being taken into the firing solution, poo poo is pretty drat accurate. AND you've got some amazing optics that lets you zoom in like a mother fucker. AND no recoil to throw your aim off. Why you would potentially waste rounds firing low I have no idea.

The only other possibility I can think of is that he is thinking of a loader, maybe? Your loader's 240 is not as accurate, and aimed by hand. You definitely want to aim low and walk the rounds onto the target; if you aim high you can't spot where your rounds land, and walking onto the target is pretty much impossible. Loader, however, is NOT the same as being a gunner. Not by a long shot.

Most likely your "tanker" is full of poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm pretty sure that's meant to be the suppression technique after the initial murder rounds, the ol' Z-pattern.

And that's an old as gently caress technique, how long were you tanking?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Heh heh, tonka tankers.

But there you go, squidflakes, a bunch of knowledge from different perspectives with which to hit that bullshit artist.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Edit: yeah, spray paint failing all else.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Not all of those stupid masks are created equal. I've had 4 different ones, and all were at various stages of ease of breathing. My one in basic that I was issued for the gas chamber made breathing hard as gently caress, yet, somehow, didn't make a proper seal at the same time. I just assumed they were all poo poo.

Had to do another gas chamber in Korea, thinking how fuckin' lovely it was gonna be, but my mask breathed easily, and sealed up good. Smooooooth sailing, suckas.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

DoktorLoken posted:

Do they make you remove your mask in the gas chamber outside of basic? I mean it's funny in retrospect but that poo poo sucks.

I've done it twice more since basic and had to totally remove it both times. Name, rank, last 4. Seal up again, clear, exit.

Get a good mask and it's no problems though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You are not at Casey / Hovey. You are Yongsan or south. It is a veritable paradise compared to the north.

gently caress you.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There is a good reason for this. Let me explain.

Scenario 1: Walking down the street on post, didn't see some random CPT and thus don't salute him.

Casey: CPT flips his poo poo, goes on rant about how NK could come across the border at any time and how discipline blah blah blah. SGM jumps out from the bushes as he's got nothing better to do and jumps in.
Down South: CPT is most likely a doctor, or loves life in this pretend Army post and doesn't give a gently caress. SGM is probably out having a 3 hour liquid lunch.

Scenario 2: You put in a pass to go to Jeju Island, as you heard it's really nice.

Casey: CO denies your pass, something about how only 2 people at a time can be on pass at any given time, and one of them is him and the other is 1SG. As it is every weekend. Add to that, you are now going out to the field for 45 days for a field exercise that should be done in 10 days, but everyone is a colossal gently caress up. By the way, it's -25 out and you can't wear your beanie or your big grey marshmallow suit because hooah.
Down South: CO questions whether or not you are actually his soldier, why the gently caress are you bother him with paperwork if you don't want a 4 day, and then asks if you need a lift because he's got the heads up on some sweet brothel 5 minutes from the beach.

Scenario 3: It's motor pool Monday.

Casey: It don't matter if it's Monday, you are down the motor pool every day, even if nothing needs to be done because it's cold and the battalion commander knows nothing about vehicles and demands that they be cold started for 30 minutes at a time, 3 times a day so the batteries don't go flat. You will also be there until 2100 with nothing to do and you were already alerted at 0200 that same morning and have been at work every since.
Down South: LOL, entire post has 2 HMMWVs and a blackhawk and none of them belong to your unit. In fact, no one is sure who the HMMWVs belong to. gently caress it, it's 9:30, time for lunch. Grab a taxi to Seoul and we'll chill there and come back at 2pm, and then go home at 2:30.

Scenario 4: You've slipped over and sprained your wrist, maybe broken it.

Casey: You need to get 2 people to sign your poo poo, both of whom are on pass and won't turn up until 0900. Hooah demands that you do pushups all morning for PT on your possibly broken wrist. When you finally get to sick call, you sit there until lunch time because there's 1 PA in the entire battalion. He has a quick look, gives you motrin and an ACE bandage and tells you to come back in a week if it still hurts. No you can't have a profile because it looks lovely in the BN COs reports. Oh, and then the BN CO makes inquiries as to how you fell over, because if it was ice and you weren't wearing some stupid issue ice chains for your boots which make your boots like ice skates, then he wants to article 15 you for... hooah.
Down South: PT didn't happen because no one really turned up, and it was pretty cold out. You wouldn't know because you stopped at Starbucks on the way to sick call and immediately got checked out at the hospital. X-ray, MRI, whatever you needed to make sure nothing was wrong. You got a fistful of vicodin and a week off work to make sure you are okay. Your wrist feels better by the end of the day so you head to the mountains for a mid-week ski trip.

You are lucky that your former friends didn't knife you.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Still there.

loving sucks if you're like me and have a ridiculously huge neck and head and have to wear body armor with a yoke and a helmet whilst doing rifle qual. Or if you are left handed and are forced to have your IFAK on your left shoulder. No you can't change it, I don't care if NK ACTUALLY attacked and you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn you will wear that loving IFAK on your left shoulder.

gently caress 2ID. Full of retards trying to out retard each other to see who is the biggest retard and can be crowned king of the retards.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Actually, it's wildly known that 2ID sucks huuuuuge wang. For example, I broke my both bones in my forearm and put lots of little fractures in my wrist after a bad spill. It took 10 days to get down to Yongsan to actually have my poo poo put in a cast. Whilst I was there, poo poo was magical, and I hated it because it reminded me of how loving unnecessarily lovely up north is. I just wanted to burn the motherfucker to the ground.

Anyway, I've got this Korean dude who's putting the cast on my arm, and we're having a friendly old chat with the other docs in the room, having some good time laughs. They ask me if I'm with the aviation unit here, and I say "ha! No, I drive a tank at Casey". And they just shut up, and it's like I've said I hosed all their grandmothers in a dusty, dry, geriatric orgy. Then the Korean guy says, ever so solemnly, "... we call that place North Korea." No one laughed. :(

So when I go to see the ortho doc, he warns me about my unit will probably try and get me to do stuff that will gently caress my arm up worse, and to not do it, and call him up immediately if any one tries. Then we go see the COL at rehab and he says "Oh, I see you're with 2ID. They've got a long standing practice of abusing their soldiers, so here's my card with my number on it, you call me up straight away and I will have someone torn a new rear end in a top hat in about 15 minutes, okay?"

I loved Yongsan on the few occasions I got to be there, it's just so chill and awesome but I couldn't even enjoy myself because of the thought of how much dick Casey sucked and how I'd be going back there eventually.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I like to think that the rare occasion that I effort post that it's pretty good.

Yeah... no. I ain't got poo poo on that.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If I just parsed what you said accurately, then no. You are poo poo out of luck.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Not necessarily. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the gaining unit will process your DA31. It SHOULD be like that old hosed up DA31 didn't exist.

Just make sure you keep a copy in case this comes up at some point in the future (near or far).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There are not the words to explain how loving lovely Casey is.

With the funny thing being, command makes it lovely, whereas it could be quite liveable.

What unit you headed to?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ziji posted:

2nd ID. I'm praying to god that I can get my orders switched (apparently that's a thing you can do here as you head toward graduation).

Rape, murder, threaten and kidnap. Do anything you can to get away from Casey and 2ID. I'm going to guess that you'll get placed with 4-7 CAV, which is loving gay, but it could be (marginally) worse, and you'd get 2-9. Or if you are lucky you might get over with some signals peeps at Hovey, but that's a bit of a stretch. Fight tooth and nail to get as far south as possible. No poo poo, it sucks so bad there right now and it's just been getting worse.

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

Got my orders changed from Hood to Osan in like 3 days. I am that guy. On a related note, any advice for after I get to Korea on Monday? Tales of how lovely in-processing is?

I'm sure I've threatened you in some manner if you've mentioned this before. In processing is fine. You'll get a bus from the airport from a probably annoyed NCO dressed in ASUs and you'll get driven to Yongsan, and stay in the hotel if you are lucky (Dragon Hill Lodge). Place is pretty baller for an Army digs. Then you'll get the inprocessing routine, maybe get your CIF issued (which is probably minimal if you are going to Osan), try not to kill yourself through a few days of MRT training, and be restricted to base. Don't bother going out, Osan is chill and you will be able to do what you want soon enough. You'll get a few hour class of korean phrases... and... that's about it. Oh, and shots. If you haven't gotten your smallpox and other nasty ones you'll get them there. gently caress smallpox, made me sick as gently caress. Then from there, the normal S1 poo poo, you'll get pinpoint orders cut if you haven't already, and then wait for a bus to take you wherever and inprocess as per your units SOP.

It's a long inprocessing, but it's chill. They are supposed to make you do PRT but it didn't loving happen when I was there.

Anyway, congratulations rear end in a top hat, on getting ready for an awesome year or two.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, that is horrifying.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Centurion posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a good pair of hot weather boots? I've heard Oakley and Danners are good, but would want some input from someone who's worn them before dropping $$$.

I wear the Oakley's and they are a good all round boot. A bit hard on my feet during break in, but otherwise pretty nice. Don't ever pay retail cause they aren't worth that kind of green, go sign up at us standard issue.com. Last I looked they had wide sizes on sale for like 80 or 90 bucks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It SHOULD. Check your ERB (or whatever your particular branch uses) to make sure they've updated you there as well.

If not, well, time to talk to payroll, or S-1, or get an E7+ to talk to them whatever process applies with your unit.

Pay stubs are normally formalized about 7 days out from pay day, and they won't take into account that you MAY get promoted on a given date, whereas you WILL pass your two year mark no matter what (unless you die). So yeah, you should get pro rated the missed days.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When I was in Korea it happened a lot. I don't know if I find it surprising, but it was usually the dudes who had been in the army the longest. You had your kids who'd just gotten in and were planning on marrying their high school sweet heart blah blah blah who'd just sit in their room and Skype all the time. You'd still get one or two that were supposedly engaged or whatever who'd end up getting sloppy sevenths on a juicy girl, but yeah, the older guys seemed to give no gently caress. Something that particularly springs to mind was one of our section sergeants who couldn't wait 24 hours to hit him some hooker poon tang. Our platoon sergeant was an unabashed player who had all the slutty looking Thai chicks sucking off his rank.

I remember this one dude I went to basic with came along to Korea and he hit every piece of rear end on the peninsula. His game was mighty. Korean, American, whatever. Dude was unstoppable. Also, married.

Combat arms is a loving sausage fest though so I couldn't tell you what the ladies got up to. We had a small (but not that small) preggo company attached to our battalion for PT, so at least some of the Joettes were obviously getting busy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I had to look up what exactly gore-tex socks were and just about had a stroke looking at the price :catstare:

The only thing I know about military socks is that the issue ones are absolute trash, didn't even last we all the way through basic, and fox river's are loving expensive but have lasted me more than 18 months now and probably last a good while longer.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy poo poo, we need some psych testing in the US. What a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
ICE comments totally get listened to. If that's your first step that's a good one.

Don't do like what one of my sergeants did and make a joke one, he had sergeant major knocking on his door Friday afternoon for a friendly rear end chewing.

• Locked thread