Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Does the 5150 III sound like a hot rodded JCM 800, or is it much more modern sounding(none of the shops in my area has one)?

Its got its own thing, doesn't sound anything like a JCM 800 to me.

Real grinding, real heavy and dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thats some good poo poo in there. Should be good for most rock genres. And if you dont like the soldano pre you could just swap it for something else. I think JMP1's were popular for glam metal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

AC15, or a fender hot rod which still might be a bit much but its a wonderful amp for using with pedals.

Dont get a blackstar, I say this as someone who likes the same kind of tones you describe; the blackstar gain sound is far too modern.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

I'd like some input regarding a small dilemma I'm having regarding a new amp purchase.

I love the Vox sound, particularly that of the AC30. I have the opportunity to get an AC30CCH at around $450, about the same price as a used AC15C1. A head would be extremely convenient since I already have a cabinet. Naturally, the AC30 is going to be tough to use in an apartment. I've played the AC15 and I like how it breaks up earlier than the AC30, but the tone just does not sound the same to me. I really don't want to compromise on tone, especially when I can get this head at the price of a used AC15.

My other option would be to just compromise and go with a used AC15C1, but then I'd have to lug around this big combo and also not have all of the fun switches and knobs the AC30 has. At least I could pair it with my existing cab.

What should I do? Take the plunge on the AC30 and make it work for my situation, or compromise on the AC15 and learn to love it while dreaming of what could have been?

Heres the thing, what actually is "apartment volume" for you? Because an ac15 is still loud enough to gently caress with your neighbors. Might it be better to just get the amp which can kick it properly at shows?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ahh that thing loving owns. Its like a grindy as hell JCM800.

I've got a VH100 which is supposedly the same thing+clean channel but its too heavy and just sits in my basement.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah the way you hear frequency content changes with volume. Thats what you're doing when you crank the bass and treble on a little practice amp in your bedroom making it sound "big". Or the "loudness" button on a hi fi.

ALSO theres the fact that amps power stages clip when they're loud but thats not as big a deal as its often made out to be by guitarists (a lot of "heavy metal" branded amps are designed with a stupid amount of headroom to avoid clipping for the tightest sound).

Also if you want a little babby metal amp for your living room I'd go blackstar personally.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 1, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 18.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Francodipshit posted:

How does the tiny terror sound for metal? I was thinking of getting one but I think just manning up and getting a 6505+ or a ENGL Fireball with a 2x12 cab would be better for playing with a dummer or live. I know the 6505+ is built like a tank though.

Ive heard the jim root ones pretty good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I know the JCM800 is legendary, but the 900 was marshalls attempt to respond to the fact that people were modding their 800's for more gain.

When you play an 800 it becomes apparent as to WHY people were doing that, because it doesn't have as much gain as a modern player might be used to.

What I'm saying is, don't get caught in the hype and poo poo on the 900 without playing it, also there are quite a few variations of 900, some better than others.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

comes along bort posted:

On the other hand this is a tubescreamer and a JCM 800:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAcWw6CSUs

Bolded the relevent part.

Not saying you cant do great poo poo with them, just that the JCM900 was/is a reasonable solution to the fact that a lot of people want more gain than the stock 800.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 19, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking to downgrade the rig I bought six months ago as it's just too big and heavy, and I don't play it loud enough. I have a Soldano SP-77 pre-amp, a TC Electronic G Major and a Marshall 9100 power amp. I pretty much only use the delay on the G Major and as I can't play the amp loud enough I use pedals for distortion.

I play 80ies hair metal/hard rock and I've been looking at a Blackstar HT Club 50 head. I would love to have a JCM 800, but I'd like to keep the price under 800€, and again, I'll rarely be able to crank it.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I've considered relying mainly on pedals for distortion as I like my Fat Sandwich.

The HT series are alright but they're not really "pedal" amps since the clean channel only has one tone knob.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a good first mini-amp? I've got a semi-hollowbody Ibanez Artcore and I'd like to have a tiny amp just to mess around with in my apartment. I doubt I can afford an actual tube amp, but I was kind of looking at the Orange Micro Crush since the really cheap options seem to have bad tone / functionality based on reviews. Just curious if there was a consensus on babby's first amp or anything.

Yamaha THR5/10?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've only ever used solid state amps, I've owned everything from 15 watt Fender practice amps to Crate half-stacks. Currently I use a Peavey Bandit 112 and a Fender Frontman 212r. I have to say that I've never really truly been happy with the sound I get when trying to record guitars.

I recently jammed with a friend who had an all-tube 5150 head and the sound quality in our guitars was night and day between us. I've decided I'd like to try getting in to tube amplifiers to get a better sound on my recordings.

Can anyone recommend a small tube guitar amplifier that will only be used for practice and recording, has a good rock distortion/drive channel, and is ideally around $300 new or used? My ideal guitar sound is a thick and punchy distortion similar to Rise Against, NOFX, etc. I think I'm being unrealistic with my budget, so if I am then I'll take any recommendations that aren't absurdly expensive.

edit - Here's one I'm looking at now, the VHT Special 6.
http://www.amazon.com/VHT-AV-SP1-6-...s=vht+special+6

See if you can find a blackstar HT series.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

So if I were to pick up an 11r, should I use full range speakers for gigging?

(also iostream if you still have the 11r you should pm me)

I tried using a PodHD into PA live a few times, the thing about that kind of modelling set up is that it places you at the mercy of the venues PA/monitoring system, singers in particular will hate your guts for filling the monitor mix with guitar. So while you could go without a FRmonitoring thing in practice I think you'd want one.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ok, my amp sounds like poo poo and hums like crazy recently. Im guessing its the valves since I've never changed them

However, there is also a smell, a kind of burning solder type deal when its on. Is this normal for valve failure or does it indicate something more serious?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Blackstar HT40

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its taken me far too long to stop trusting sound guys. I used to be all "well why *wouldn't* you want to work with the sound guy to get the best sound? I've he makes a suggestion he probably knows best"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

As far as little practise amps go I'm having a lot of fun with the blackstar HT1

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I hated the V3M along with every carvin amp I've tried.

I'd recommend a jet city 20h. Its a great head period not just great "for the size" and also if you like soldanos its soldano designed.

Only problem is its single channel.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Oh yeah I forgot that exists.

Also theres the small blackstar heads.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFjGJAd_v9A

I'm super hype about this

*Its got normal and bright inputs, plus a "both" input for jumping them together, also inbuilt attenuation for maximum power tube distortion.

* Fender claim its their take on a "british" sound

* As everyone knows the first marshalls were made from modifying fender bassmans.

* its a loving tiny, reasonably priced plexi.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 12, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Re the 15 watt, does anyone know if it has enough muscle to be heard clearly during practice with a drummer? I know my 30 does, but duh, it has plenty of power. I'm not worried about live cause we can just mic my amp, but practice is a different story.

It will be loud, the question if if you need headroom or not.

Also vox just announced an AC15 in head version if youre interested in that.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 18, 2016

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

field balm posted:

E: anyone got a recommendation for a good free fender style ampsim vst? Bassman would be ideal but anything is fine.

You used to be able to gut guitar rig player for free which is like a cut down version of guitar rig meant to entice you into buying the full version but it comes with the plexi model which is the only model I use anyway. I'm not sure if its still available.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Random curiosity incoming. What's the appeal of Mesa Boogie amps? I'm really feeling the newer lunchbox Mark V 25w amp but I realized I don't know what their "thing" is in general. Enlighten me :)

They have sparkly cleans and aggressive gain with a low midrange that goes "grrr"

The rectifiers also have insane low end and provided the soundtrack for a lot of lovely music of the late 90s and early 00's

The mark series are probably more versitile.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Crate power block or ehx 22 caliber are good options for amp backups

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Carl Seitan posted:

Can someone give me a quick comparison and offer a recommendation between a Peavey Valveking 112 combo and a Peavey Super 40 XXX combo? And in lieu of either Peavey, would a Blackstar HT5R 1x12 be a better buy?

The valveking is one of the worst tube amps I've ever heard and the XXX might not be?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Didn't you say that about the Carvin V3M?

Probably. There are a lot of amps I dont like.

In fact I don't like them both for pretty much the same reason, they're both high gain amps that do a poor job of it and sound extremely "congested" to my ears. The VK in particular has is lack of body to it, its got a buzzy, boomy quality that reminds me almost of a metal zone, and like a metal zone doesn't really do in between crunch very well, just clean or HEAVY.

I used to rehearse in a place that had them and trying to be heard over the other guitarist was always a massive pain.

This guys playing isnt great but its an accurate conception of my memories of that amp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTtONfjF6A

OTOH I've heard good things about the triple X though I've yet to try one myself And the peavy classic 30/50 is great.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 29, 2016

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Clipping with guitar is apparantly enough of a problem with the saphire that the newer ones are advertising to have fixed it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

See if you can try out a jet city JCA 50 anywhere. I prefer it for hot rodded marshally sound than the blackstar which is a little dark.

I love the sound of rockerverbs so thats my choice out of the availalbe but if a JCM800 is what you've got your heart set on go for it.

Honestly I've never really found an issue with running high power amps at low-ish gig volume. Feels like a bit of a waste not using the avaialble power on tap but the whole "amps MUST be turned up high to be good" thing is overblown IMO.

Also "low ish" for any rock band with a drummer is prob going to be at least a 3/4 on the dial unless the venues got something weird going on.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 7, 2016

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

Fryette power station is a power amp thats designed for stuff like that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Apparently it's great for modellers too.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

muike posted:

That seems like a great great set of features for a beginner amp except for maybe the wireless(?? why) and it seems like that's who the video's targeted at.

The lil one doesent have a wireless.

The interesting thing about it is it has a tweeter in addition to a traditional speaker, so its kinda FRFR. (ERER?).

Also the wireless charges by plugging it into the amps input jack. I kinda want one as a home amp.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

That's actually not true about the value dropping, at least in my experience. I bought an Axe-Fx Ultra new in 2009 and sold it after the Axe-Fx II had been announced. I think I bought the Axe-Fx Ultra for around $1900 and ended up selling it for around $1500, which is right in line with, or even arguably better than, what I would have gotten back had I bought a tube amp new at $1900. These digital units keep their value a lot better than you'd think. Yes, they're "computers" but they're also very proprietary, and they're high end, high performance items which makes them more immune to price drops than your standard product. Axe-Fx Ultras still sell for around $1200 right now, almost a decade after their introduction.

Yeah its like how a mac pro tower from 2010 is still around a grand second hand. And stuff like the Line 6 Helix is full of hardware inputs and outputs which retain utility even if the modelling software becomes widespread.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

umalt posted:

An EHX 44 Magnum power amp would be good as a cheap power amp, and theoretcially you could wait to see if you could get a good deal on a used old Axe Fx. But in a pinch, you could do a Line 6 POD HD.

My current set up is a Line 6 helix, an EHX 44 magnum and an orange 1x12. The .44 is hella loud and its sounding pretty good and extremely light. Can carry my whole setup to the car in one trip.

One thing that pisses me off though is that the magnum has an external power transformer thats as big as the pedal itself though. So the whole "its pedal sized" thing is a bit of a lie. If EHX hadn't been so attached to that gimmick they could have just stuck both parts in a half rack sized unit and it would still be one of the smallest power amps on the market.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 1, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really like that victory amps do vertical 2x12s which are way more convenient than 4x12s while still having the stature and vertical dispersion.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I feel rabea Masaad and Rob Chapmans music can best be described as 'nu metal dad' though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Blackstars to me sound like Marshall if someone went in and cleaned up the raspy poo poo in the top end that all Marshalls have. But then that raspy poo poo is part of the Marshall character and without it Blackstars sound more generic and a little dark. They're fine and work fine for most styles of music. Just a 'jack of all trades master of none ' type sound.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also I've never played a real jet city but Amplitube has a jet city brand model pack and the 20 watt sounds better than the 100 watt for some reason.

I'd pick one up but I've had bad experiences gigging 20 watt amps in places that are too shoddy to mic up the backine.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Smash it Smash hit posted:

It takes ten times the watts to double the db level of an amp. So if my math isn't absolute poo poo(it probably is) going from 20 watts to 40 is only a 20% increase in actual loudness.

Its not really a volume thing, even a 15 watt can get loud enough to cause serious pain. The issue is it will be "classic rock hairy, power stage working overtime, hope you don't need headoom" loud. Rather than "smooth highs and tight lows, takes any pedal you want" loud.

I used to gig with a distortion pedal and a delay into a tiny terror and it was fantastic if you could mic it at its exact sweet spot but there was a spot juuuust beyond that where it lost all its headroom. Then I had an egnator 20 watt that just had harsh sounding power tube distortion.

As Alleric points out its amp dependant though.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My opinions are well stated here: big amps sound good. 4x12s sound good. 100w is loud, but sometimes neccisarry to compensate for a bad PA or get the required tight low end and sound good.

I've built my rig around portability, and I got to try one of those matrix bass ported 1x12s recently that weighs gently caress all and claims to sound like a 4x12 and it's nice but it's still not the same as hearing the real thing thunk behind you.

Not every place even has a PA. Some bands end up playing most of their shows in squatted warehouses.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 12, 2017