Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Declan MacManus posted:

It's kinda cool that Agassi didn't mind tearing down his own legacy. Not very smart, but it's cool that he opened up about his own hosed up existence instead of waiting for someone else to unearth it. Also lol wigs

Curtis Martin's Hall of Fame speech is also a must-watch for the whole "sports was forced upon me" thing. Pretty unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So in other words, it's totally random and two teams get stuck with 5 preseason games for no real reason. Got it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Its Miller Time posted:

What is the significance of QB's identifying the Mike? Why the Mike? Does the player at that position change a lot?

The Mike is generally regarded as the defensive captain, the one who makes all the signals. Pointing him out lets the QB and offensive linemen see what he's doing, and try to adjust accordingly.

The position isn't always consistent due to the number of shifting defensive schemes these days, but it's still considered an important skill for QBs to look out for as they line up the play before the snap.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 25, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mike Singletary marching his team out military-style in the season opener, only to get shithoused by the Seahawks, was still one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He's cool in my book.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The term "Joker" also tends to be used for tight ends who line up as a wideout more often than not. Think Jimmy Graham, or Aaron Hernandez before he killed someone.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think he's talking about the return man kicking the ball.

I don't think it's against the rules, but I can't fathom any reason why anyone would actually try it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Thoguh posted:

I kind of figured, but when I hear "hoof it" I read that as "to walk".

I honestly wasn't sure what would happen so I asked the Internet. There is one situation that kind of works that way, a fair catch kick. Apparently one even happened this season.

It isn't immediate though. Basically after a fair catch the catching team has the option to immediately line up and attempt a field goal with no snap and the opposing team required to stand at least 10 yards away.

Yeah, the 49ers did this right before halftime and tried like a 70-yard field goal. They were already winning big by that point so I assume Harbaugh was just trolling.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They do not. Everything except the penalty yardage gets wiped from the box score.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Seattle built the CLink partly to entice Super Bowl bids but we can't even get that despite our mild winters and the stadium partially built to shield fans from the elements.

Super Bowl voters are dumb.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

swickles posted:

Wait til after this year when its only held in Tampa, Miami, Dallas, and San Diego.

Miami still has stadium problems. They were considered the front runners to host 51 until voters rejected the Dolphins' renovation plans, so the bid went to Houston instead. After the Marlins debacle, I can't blame Miami taxpayers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Niners are still set to move there next year, right? Are there any hiccups with the Super Bowl plans I'm not aware of?

(Other than the obvious traffic problem of getting everyone from SF proper ~50 miles south on game day)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And often devolves into #hotfoodtakes because goons

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I don't even like or play fantasy anymore but it brings a ton of casual fans to the NFL and is a non-zero consideration in how the league does its business. From the standpoint of stuff that actually matters Declan's idea is perfect but two bye weeks in a row for fantasy football or two weeks where you need to add/drop half your roster or whatever would probably kill it for a lot of people.

My loving parents just got into fantasy a couple years ago. My mom is the most casual of casual fans and my dad was the kind of dude that used to beat up D&D nerds in high school, but they treat it just as seriously as the actual games. Fantasy is a very, very big deal outside of TFF.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The cap rules are utterly impenetrable to me so kudos on that Over The Cap site for even attempting to make sense of it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

indigi posted:

Why is the draft only 7 rounds if every team scrambles around signing a grip of UDFAs every year

It used to be even more rounds. Do you really want the media machine to drag this poo poo out for even more days? At least with the UDFAs they get the signings done in ~24 hours and move on already.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And sometimes the owners just can't make up their goddamn mind and we end up with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cole posted:

If I have the leverage to not go to a piece of poo poo organization I would probably take advantage of it. Why spend the next several years in a miserable place if you don't have to? At this point if Mariota pulled some poo poo like that on th Bucs I would totally understand, and we don't even have any talks of secret backdoor dealings to get the team moved.

Seriously, why spend years in a poo poo hole? Be miserable for the' spirit of the draft?' lol

And you're mad at Elway for the hype that OTHER people give him? That's pretty weak.

I mean I guess I can understand hating him for the way he stiffed the Colts like 32 years ago, but I don't really blame the guy for what he did.

And as far as being the number one recruit, that's basically saying you just hate really good players isn't it? Did you hate Reggie Bush or Andrew Luck?

You weren't a kid in the 90s, were you?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Seahawks have their stadium downtown, but the headquarters and practice facility is located in Renton, about 5-7 miles south.

That's where they hold their training camp after decades of holding it in some random-rear end college town across the mountains.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gregg Rosenthal is a Pats fan so they mostly use the music to rib him

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also yeah, Move The Sticks is really good but if you're still new to football I don't know how accessible it would be to you, since it's legit scouts breaking down Xs and Os in a way that could be lost on football newbies.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Kingdome was a loving shithole and the day it got demolished is still the happiest day of my life

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Skwirl posted:

It's hilarious to me when i'm watching an NFL stream and it's SkySports so the halftime commentators are 2 lovely American college players who are willing to fly to England and the one guy in England who gives a poo poo about the NFL. Especially if it's the second Monday night game because that means it's like 3 am there and you realize British sportscasters who are good at it don't have to work at 3am.

I remember seeing Mike Holmgren on there a few years back and was like drat, has his reputation plummeted so far that he can't even get a studio pundit gig in America? ESPN hands those out like candy to any semi-notable name.

Also the Sky Sports feed taught me that the "British American Football League" is a thing that exists. I can only assume it's filled with randos who weren't good enough for rugby.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 18, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CannonFodder posted:

From what Trin Tragula said, it's DIII level football. Texas high school games get larger crowds than the BAFL.

I'm kinda curious as to what the level of coaching is actually like for an start-up league like the BAFL playing a foreign sport. Do they try to bring in American coaches with at least some semblance of experience coaching American college/high schools? Or is it all amateurs top-to-bottom who learned the game from Madden or whatever?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Super Bowl loser failing to get back to even the playoffs is actually fairly common, IIRC.

Just for historical context, here's how the Super Bowl losers fared the next season this century.

2000: New York Giants -- next year: 7-9, miss playoffs
2001: St. Louis Rams -- next year: 7-9, miss playoffs
2002: Oakland Raiders -- next year: 4-12, miss playoffs
2003: Carolina Panthers -- next year: 7-9 miss playoffs
2004: Philadelphia Eagles -- next year: 6-10, miss playoffs
2005: Seattle Seahawks -- next year: 9-7, win NFC West, lose in Divisional Round
2006: Chicago Bears -- next year: 7-9, miss playoffs
2007: New England Patriots -- next year: 11-5, miss playoffs
2008: Arizona Cardinals -- next year: 10-6, win NFC West, lose in Divisional Round
2009: Indianapolis Colts -- next year: 10-6, win AFC South, lose in Wild Card Round
2010: Pittsburgh Steelers -- next year: 12-4, earn wild card spot, lose in Wild Card Round
2011: New England Patriots -- next year: 12-4, win AFC East, lose in AFC Championship Game
2012: San Francisco 49ers -- next year: 12-4, earn wild card spot, lose in NFC Championship Game
2013: Denver Broncos -- next year: 12-4, win AFC West, lose in Divisional Round
2014: Seattle Seahawks -- next year: 10-6, earn wild card spot, lose in Divisional Round

So the Super Bowl Hangover was a real thing for a few years in the early 2000s, but as you can see from above it's actually a longer trend for teams to stay successful and return to the playoffs, often dominating as well (see all the double-digit wins and division titles).

How did that narrative stick, anyway? And why do people keep referring to it? It's been demonstrably dead and buried this decade.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

El Seano posted:

Also how the gently caress did the Pats win 11 games and still not make the playoffs? Surely there cannot be many more examples of winning double digit games and not making the playoffs?

Finished with the same record as the Dolphins, who got tiebreaker advantages. The Wild Card teams were the Colts (12-4) and Ravens (11-5, got in on tiebreakers).

That was also the year Brady tore his ACL in Week 1, and the Pats managed to convince people that Matt Cassel was good.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Serotonin posted:

I was watching the Falcons Broncos game and the commentators kept going on about the Broncos QB being new to the huddle, not being used to it. I'm assuming it's something to do with the difference between college/NFL in terms of tactics but could someone explain.

Obviously every system is different, but a lot of college teams these days run some kind of up-tempo offense, where instead of huddling up the players move quickly to the line and get their playcall from sideline signals (this is the reason for all the wacky picture signs that TV cameras love showing). Paxton Lynch played in that kind of system at Memphis, so the more conventional NFL style of calling plays in the huddle will likely be an adjustment period for him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pro football was hilariously bush league back in the early days. There's a reason it never got serious mainstream attention until the Super Bowl era.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NFL actually did mandate thigh pads a few years ago. I don't know about the tangible benefits (almost nobody wore them anyway), but I have noticed a significant decrease in "thigh bruise" injury reports since the rule was implemented.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Shangri-Law School posted:

What was so cool about "The Drive" anyway? They didn't even win the Super Bowl that year. Is it more the Legend of John Elway or LOL Cleveland?

Pretty sure it's both

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of pads, does it feel like NFL shoulder pads got smaller over the years?

I know all about the athletes getting bigger and such, but it's still a bit jarring to go from this:

To this:

Did they change regulation sizes in between CBAs, or is this just Nike wizardry with their "form fitting technology" or whatever?

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 20, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
A lot of NFL owners are buddies with Trump and/or Trump's subordinates, they could probably grease enough palms to get the players where they need to be on international trips.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SkunkDuster posted:

QB throws a 5 yard pass. Receiver gets 5 YAC then fumbles on the tackle which is recovered by the defense and returned for a 20 yard TD.

Does the QB still get 10 yards passing and does the receiver get a 10 yard reception with 5 YAC? Does the fumble and return change anything for the offensive stat sheets?

Yeah, that's a 10-yard pass and 10-yard reception. Turnovers have no effect on the offense's stats, so the defender just gets credit for a 20-yard fumble recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kalli posted:

With a caveat: If a receiver fumbles it then it gets recovered by the offense behind where they ran to... they lose that yardage on the reception.

for example the play here becomes a -22 yard reception because the QB tries a shovel pass while falling down that the receiver then fumbles... very far backwards. (1 hour 33 minutes in if the timecode doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTNMSbZtDU&t=5580s

You're also right, but when the offense recovers a fumble it doesn't count as a turnover, since they technically never lost possession. So hence, the offense gets credited with lost yardage on that play.

There's also situations where the QB throws an interception, the defender fumbles, and the offense gets the ball back, but at that point we're getting into Football Follies territory where it's gonna look weird on the box score no matter what.

• Locked thread