Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I am finally sorting my tub'o'lego. Pretty sure I'm developing repetitive stress disorder from searching along the bottom of the bin for 1x1 pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Spookydonut posted:

Go to a hardware store and get like 3 different sizes of steel mesh and screen it to sort by size very quickly.

:aaaaa:

I am such a foolish fool. Any tips for sorting? Like I know I want to have more decorative stuff off in it's own space but what about just like plates and bricks. Should I sort them out by color? Does it really matter? By size? What is the most useful???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I started sorting by color for a current project and it actually sucks if I'm looking for a specific part, so I'm going to say sort by size. It's way easier to see the black 2x4 brick in a drawer of 2x4 bricks than a drawer full of other black pieces. I only sorted by color so I could maintain a clean color palette but I wouldn't use it as a long term sorting solution.

Ineptitude posted:

:siren:DO NOT SORT BY COLOR:siren:

This is jiving with my thinking then. Okay, maybe I'll go with type of piece as my first choice for sorting. Thanks, btw.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cojawfee posted:

It all comes down to whether you think it's easier to quickly pick out a red 2x3 brick out of a sea of red 2x2s, 2x3s, and 2x4s, or out of a sea of different colored 2x3 bricks.

When you say it like this the latter seems way WAY loving easier to me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I ended up going with what I had on hand, which was tackle boxes. They seem to work pretty loving well. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want to break things down. I have it broken out by like 30 different categories. I'm worried this is going to snowball.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Extremely disappointed this isn't a lego/jnco's collab. Extremely.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just popped open a minifig bag and got the little mexican dude. Is this pinata the cutest thing ever???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

veni veni veni posted:

I've said it before, but ideas shouldn't allow existing ip and all (unless it's a LEGO IP) and Lego should set up a separate site that lets people vote on IPs they want Lego to see produce.

Hoping and praying for my "Absolutely Fabulous" themed set.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So uh, can we just post poo poo we're working on? My friend and I have been playing a tabletop game that involves playing lego, specifically building minifig scale vehicles. This is the current one I'm fretting over:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cojawfee posted:

No, this thread is only for talking about technicalities of the ideas program.

Oh. :(

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Neat! What are playing?

How stable is that mech suit? Those spindly legs worry me.

Suprisingly stable. Like, I can grab the cabin and apply a bunch of torsion to turn the legs about and they DO NOT come apart. It doesn't even really need the plate under it but since I'm working on it it just makes it way easier.

We're playing a homebrew that we've been putting together for a while now. Just a simple little strategy style game. If you're interested you can hit me in PMs and I'll hit you up with a copy of the (at this point still rudimentary) rule book. It's not a bad little game to have a few beers and play with a bud.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 9, 2020

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Fins off cylindrical pieces. Like the ones that are supposed to look like the bottom of a rocket. But I can't decide if that was just kid me being super rough with toys.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zefiel posted:

I'm surprised it took me so long to realize this could easily be done with bricks, eat your heart out, LEGO wall art line :v:

Great idea! You should totally get some studs around it and stick some flat pieces around the perimeter to make a frame!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zefiel posted:

:aaa: Thank you! Yes that shouldn't be too hard and it will look MUCH better!

:peanut:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So, I want to build a big cactus. Can someone give me a part number for a nice 90 degree curved piece with a nice flat exterior surface??? All my lego are from the early/mid 90's so I don't have any of the sleek modern stuff and I notice there are nice looking ways to make 90 degree turns now. Also, I am terrible at describing the things I need :).

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

You've put me on the right track.Thanks, goon!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just got one of the little $5 boxes of random blocks Ideas Included. I love this!! Look at all these cute pieces!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Is it typical to get a box with extra pieces???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oxyclean posted:

What do you mean - Like within the box? Separate? What set did you get?

Just one of those little $5 dollar color themed boxes. I got a few bonus trans studs. I'm not complaining just wondering if it's typical.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Oxyclean posted:

If it was just some extra pieces inside the set, yeah, that's really typical. Almost every set has some spares of the extra small bits.

Juicy. :hai:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Another day, another minifig scale vehicle. Made to go specifically to go with this viking duder:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Brawnfire posted:

Norse one, dude.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zonko_T.M. posted:

This is great! I love how chunky the main ship is.

I was noticing this too. I love how "dense" it is. If you threw this at your little brother it'd def leave a mark.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sigher posted:

I have this food storage filled with tons of random rear end parts I've collected with time, does any goon want it? Completely free shipped, I have no used for any of it as I don't do MOCs:

I'm going to dig through it for any airpieces or helmets I need for my other sets if I try and sell them complete, but that's all I care to keep from it. I honestly have no clue what the gently caress is in here.

I would totally take it if you'd give it!! :)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Brawnfire posted:

I can't wait to put together that little hayride set with my daughter, it will be her first new lego set! :kimchi:

SO COOL! :peanut:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Brawnfire posted:

She had so much fun putting this together, and I had no idea how well she'd be able to follow instructions at 3 years old... but there were times she gathered the pieces and put them together just like the picture without any prompting from me, it was fantastic

Quit making me want this incredibly cute thing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

veni veni veni posted:

It’s delightfully gratuitous.

This is exactly the words. I love it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
They're like the jorts of shoes.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Please don't doxx my family.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

Mmmmm I didn't want to post this in the thread until I can physically build it, but that may be a month or two away due to budget and I'm mad excited about it NOW. A little something to compliment the saloon!

The main thing here is I wanted to do a brick/stone building with an intricate facade, since the bank would/should be the wealthiest and therefore fanciest building in town. Also, it would let me explore a totally different style from the wooden log aesthetic of the saloon.

The second thing I wanted to do was add a killer feature, something I've been thinking about for months now: a way to add an exploding wall mechanism like the oldschool Western sets, but one that's actually triggered by pressing the plunger on a TNT detonator. My first design was really bulky and involved Technic linkages, but I've come up with something ULTRA compact that fits in this super shallow base!

Due to the design of the interior having that central counter and wall separating the lobby from the office, I figured access would be difficult and having a removable roof and back wall still wouldn't be enough, so the entire interior lifts out of this one for access to play with and pose minifigs.

I don't really want to give away all the interior details and the TNT mechanism just yet, so... consider this a teaser because I am incapable of just keeping things that I'm excited about to myself.

:aaaaa:

So. Dang. Cool.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So what's up with the Friends stuff? There are a lot of cool lookin' pieces in neato colors. Is there a reason I shouldn't be buying these???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah, the dolls look pretty sucky but, man, does the Jungle Rescue set with the little zipline make me smile.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty much. They look weird side-by-side but they are close enough to the same scale.

This makes them even more tempting.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

Well aren't we fancy with our new thread title and poo poo

As someone who is introducing their young one to lego there is no more apt title.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

If it's assembled and you don't feel like taking it apart, computer duster/can of compressed air is what I would use.

Ahh Lepin. I wanted to write a little bit about my recent experience with the Lion King Detective Building. Overall it was... interesting. The clutch on the pieces can be best described as "severe", and the effort needed to press them into the baseplate had me developing new muscle groups. Aside from the more obvious injection mold marks and the lack of lettering on the studs, the pieces are visually indistinguishable from Lego. The pieces do need to be attached to one another more deliberately than Lego, with Lego you don't have to approach precisely with a piece for it to naturally work into its "snap" position- these pieces will just attach wrong and you will have to remove it and put it on properly. Printed pieces are fine (I found it quite humorous that the LEGO News is now the LEPIN News, with the headline "the greatest LEPIN hero ever!"). Grateful as always for printed glass instead of clear stickers.

The brick separator (a giraffe like the one above) oddly was in the fourth numbered set of bags, so too late to be useful for anyone who needed one before that step. The cat on the third floor is replaced with a Friends-style lion cub (in keeping with the bastardized brand name that they're using). The biggest issue by far was with the windows- they take a lot of effort to cram in to the frames and to my eye look just slightly murkier than official Lego windows (this might be from the stress of bending slightly to fit in the frames- they don't "click" in nicely like the real ones).

Based on the actual building experience, and the fact that much like Mega Bloks the pieces should be kept separate from real Lego, I can't recommend this or any other Lepin/Lion King sets. I'm glad I did get it to see for myself (and it does scratch the itch of having my favourite OOP modular as it's visually identical). The best part was not having to spend $300. I definitely came away with a renewed appreciation for the quality of Lego and won't be taking it for granted any longer.

Loved this post. Thanks.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've been working on this and I think I hate it and I can't tell why that is, maybe you guys can. I was trying for something dynamic and when I wasn't feeling it I started adding height and now I think it looks like a clusterfuck. No real decoration yet just kind of the rough idea:

Why do I hate this so much???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Spookydonut posted:

dial down the height of those back two platforms like 50%

Okay, gonna try that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zefiel posted:

I would try to use the pieces supporting the tallest platform to make two 'walls' to either side of the main baseplates. the rear wall can be made with those black fence-like railings. then you can use the platforms over the back wall (supported by the side walls), get a sort of galleon or Caravel shape going, using that windshield for a little cockpit on the front-center or asymetrically off to one side like in those WWII landing ships all the videogames start in , I really should doodle a diagram but I hope I'm making enough sense.

EDIT: aw, I hope this doodle makes more sense. the tallest 'room' I'd lower and support by two walls as follows:

This gives you more of a cohesive, organic and maybe 'dynamic' shape, the rear can be made with those fence pieces if they're big enough and if you have the pieces maybe make them a ramp that can fold down? something for that cool mech to deploy from

:aaaaa: I have things to ponder now. Thanks for this.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Brawnfire posted:

Sorry about all these pictures, I did the

challenge, and made this:

The Exploriens Planetside Telescopy Vehicle, or PTV

This state-of-the-art mobile telescopy workstation is made for a variety of planetary climates and terrains.

The powerful roof-mounted polyspectral telescope is one of the most powerful planet-based telescopes available.

A number of workstations are able to configured for specific tasks.

The vehicle comes with a number of accessory trailers. Here is a powerful towed telescope.

This trailer can be used to carry components of a mobile field laboratory.

Pictured are a number of portable field telescope units.

The entire telescopy team: Left to Right there's Bill-E the Android, Tyler VanMartian, Chuck "Nova" Gideon-Kalogeropoulos, Bung Voight Chang, and Fellix Tt [a Mondrian, they just look like skeletons]
Not pictured: The driver, because everyone on the team likes to gently caress with him. What was his name again? Thick?

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cojawfee posted:

There's no way that has 9000 pieces.

I was thinking something similar. :raise: