Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

UberJumper posted:

I have no idea what this stuff is worth, but bricklink seems to be starkraving mad. Where the cheapest green grocer is 500 bucks? What the gently caress?
You must be new here. That's honestly the going rate. People routinely pay $700+ for that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

The Rage posted:

I have a spare chicken dude and 4 spare knights if any one wants them for cost.

I need a chicken dude for my halloween display. Paypal?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Ika posted:

My Cyclops was missing his head, and lego offered to send me 2 random figures when I used the missing parts form - they apparently can't supply parts for the CMFs.

That makes sense. Unfortunately, that head is unique to the roman. I guess go for the freebies? Worst case, you can sell both on Bricklink and get the Roman. Or trade here.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Toys R Us is selling the 7066 Alien Conquest Earth Defense set for $65.98. I can't quite pull the trigger on it, but that shouldn't stop you from doing so.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

The Rage posted:

Goddamn, either someone was super broke, or they have no idea. Just in piece count alone that should have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that.

Well, none are EOL yet. All those are "only" $1400 new in the box from LEGO.com. It also doesn't say if these included the box and the instructions. Not a bad deal, but not screaming either.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's just fun to watch that Goodwill auction go up and up and up. :allears:
Yes, yes it is.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

smackfu posted:

The problem is that the whole reason Goodwill has a unified auction site is to get closer to market value on rare expensive items that have a smaller number of buyers.

The amazing thing is that someone donated those to Goodwill in the first place.
I speculate that someone died, someone else came in to dispose of their possessions and didn't understand what they were looking at. "Oh, these old LEGO? Who'd want those? He always had some weird emotional attachment to them. Just put them in the Goodwill box."

It's doubly strange that they were obviously complete, but someone carelessly tossed them in a box.

For anyone interested in bidding, keep in mind that the sets may or may not be complete. If it's missing certain pieces, they can be very expensive to replace. Also, they probably don't have instructions and there are no boxes.

einTier fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 11, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Pyroclastic posted:

The shopgoodwill auction ended.
For $1602.01.

Holy poo poo.

That's basically Bricklink value for Market Street+Cafe Corner+Green Grocer with bricklink-completed partlists. No guarantee that the valuable bits will even be in that lot.
I know. There's also a Fire Brigade in there, which might fetch $125 on the right day with no box or instructions. But no guarantee anything is complete or there's anything else in that lot.

I bid on it a little when it was low, but there's no way I'd go above $1000. The sets are probably complete except for a few random pieces, but you could be out a lot of coin if it's the wrong random pieces. There was a lot of risk there.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Torael_7 posted:

"Throw stuff together" is pretty much how you do it. Every once in awhile you'll stumble into a new technique and be better for it.

I don't MOC much right now, but the absolute best thing I did a few years back was to buy a huge tub of LEGO bricks. I knew I'd want to build vehicles, so I made sure to get one with a bunch of wheels, but otherwise I just bought the largest generic set I could find, which was around 1000 bricks.

The best part was that even though it had "ideas" on the box, I wasn't trapped by the idea of "must build the big thing" and it really freed me up to explore what could be built. After that, I knew I really liked building wheeled vehicles and I knew which ones I wanted to build. I didn't know about Bricklink then, but it would have been a good jumping off point to grab the extra pieces I needed and expand.

...instead, I just buy the kits now and build the one big thing. I should go crack that tub out of storage and start experimenting again.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

rickiep00h posted:

It looks to me like he was a reseller that realized the LEGO pot o' gold may not be as deep as he was hoping. That's a seriously large number of boxed chase sets. Or at least, seems like it to me.

My guess is that it's a collector who died suddenly and his family doesn't know what to do with it all. They know it's worth money, but no idea exactly how much. They probably think it's worth more than it is, because whoever died probably talked it up a lot -- "I've got $10,000 in LEGO right here and it's still appreciating!"

It just seems odd for someone to get out so quickly after obviously being seriously involved in MOC's. The pictures are kind of odd too, and not exactly the ones a LEGO collector would want to see or post -- but exactly the kind that someone who inherited it would.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Sloppy posted:

Can someone clue me in as to why this 8lb lot of Harry Potter is going for $300+? I assume there is a chase set, but didn't think any of the Potter stuff was that valuable.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=13409403

Knight Bus is in there, as is 4730 Chamber of Secrets. Still, that's only about $120 worth of LEGO. I think people are seeing pieces of Chamber of Secrets and thinking it's pieces of the $300 Hogwart's Castle.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Was looking through old sets (nostalgia!) and I realized that I have a set, Cloud City, that seems to be selling for quite some money on bricklink. I have basically no use for it, so I thought I'd try to sell it. It's only missing a couple pieces (a couple grill pieces and a plant stem). I also have most of the minifigs, including Boba Fett, only missing Han, Leia, and Lando, unfortunately. I also still have the box and instructions. Does anyone have an idea as to what a fair list price would be for this? It seems to go for way more than I expected it would, and I'm not sure why. Minifigs?

If you're that close, your best bet is to go ahead and finish out the set and then sell it complete. You'll take a bath since it's not 100% complete even though you have the box and instructions.

Lando is going to cost you about $100, Han is $10, and Leia is going to be around $50. The grills and plant stems won't cost more than a couple of dollars, maybe $5 total once you've paid shipping. For $170, you've taken a kit from being worth maybe $200-300 to being worth $800 or more, depending on the condition of your bricks, minifigs, instructions, and box.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Thanks for the input, also to the other people that responded as well. From a cursory price check, it seems you're about right, with the complete set going for $700-$800, and being able to get Lando, Han, Leia and the pieces for around $150-$175. I'll do that. This whole thing seems odd to me, though, as I've only become interested in Legos again after a long time off (now that I have some disposable income). Seems odd to me that people buy minifigs for such large sums of money, like the special Boba Fett, but I'm not judging.

The only other expensive old thing (I think) that I have is the UCS Y-Wing but that one's mine :colbert:

It seems to be like anything else, people want stuff they couldn't afford back when it was new and they were younger. Or, they had it and lost it through the ravages of time.

LEGO is funny with valuation and such, for a few reasons. One, LEGO group apparently prices well, because the stuff is almost never worth less than MSRP, and even then, it's only slightly less. Two, you can always attempt to "bricklink" a set that you want but cannot afford -- this means buying the individual pieces from Bricklink and assembling the set as if it was new. This can be lucrative, as it's impossible to tell if you built the set from parts or if it was original and you lost the instructions and box. In some ways, it doesn't matter. However, what this means is that any unique pieces are suddenly going to be worth a lot of money. Usually, it's minifigs that bear the brunt of this inflation, because LEGO enjoys updating even the recurring characters and if you want your Cloud City to be authentic, then you need that particular Boba Fett, and not this much cheaper variant.

Those two things tend to feed off of each other. Because the only way to get that Boba Fett figure to complete your Cloud City is to convince someone else to part out their expensive Cloud City, the price goes up. Because the price has gone up on the unique pieces, it makes the complete set worth more. Because it's worth more, now the figure is in even more demand as people try to complete their incomplete sets. Rinse, repeat.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Sloppy posted:

Oh drat, I'm pretty sure I had the expensive one in a lot I sold a month ago :cry:

Edit: Guess it's time to start learning Star Wars sets rather than just bulk-selling whatever I get.

Minifigs you have to be careful with. Most aren't worth much, but the ones that are worth a lot can get really pricey. If I see one that's very unique or is of an iconic character, I do a little research before selling.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Rathina posted:

Thank you everyone! Looks like I will probably be picking up the Monster Truck set. I'd love to get my hands on the Fun With Vehicles set, but it looks like that must be retired now? How long ago was it retired is it possible I might be able to find it in store somewhere still?

It's still being sold on Amazon. A little pricey though.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
I really hope that's a bad angle, because as it sits, it doesn't really look like a DeLorean.

However, I'll have to buy it anyway just for the unique bricks and minifigs. It may not look much like a DeLorean, but you'll need those pieces for any DeLorean MOC.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

youracrybabypah posted:

This is like how all the starwars ships looked like dogshit when they first came out. just give them 15 years guys!

If the first ones aren't crappy, you can't make more money selling better and better copies!

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

ChesterJT posted:

Please tell me you made this scenario up completely. Please.

Share that spreadsheet with me, please.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Canopus250 posted:

Man the giant gorilla bot is outstanding. The Chima line is so absurd I wish I had the space to buy them and build them. Still have too many large sets still in box from moving LAST summer.

Chima strikes me as the kind of thing that AFOLs aren't going to grok at all, but kids are just going to eat that poo poo up.

Today, I don't want to build or display a croc boat or lion base and I'm surely not going to play with it. But if I was 8 again? HOOOOOLY poo poo.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

SonicYooth posted:

I just grabbed this for $400 off craigslist and I've only seen Star Wars once. Can anyone tell me if I got an okay deal? The two items mentioned at the end without a number are the 7190 and 4483. They're all unopened and the boxes are in great shape.

Bricklink.com is your friend. For the record, that's a smoking deal. If you really have 4483 in a sealed box, that's close to your $400 right there. The cheapest MISB at bricklink is $310. You can probably get $400 at eBay (minus ~15% in Paypal/eBay fees). That Imperial Shuttle isn't the big UCS version that's going for $300+, it's the cheaper one, but it's still worth about $100 MISB.

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 24, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Rythe posted:

I got a nice size bag of Star Wars Lego from a friend of mine, to bad they are all separated without much set identification. I pulled out some of the more identifiable pieces along with the mini figs, can anybody come up with possible sets from the two pictures by chance?

The three 4x4 plates with the text on them are pretty easy, those are the mini ship designs. I figure Admiral Akbar and General Grievous along with a lot of the clones should help identify some possible sets. The mini figure alone make the bag worth it to me, those will go nice with my existing Star Wars sets but adding a few free sets to the collection would be great.

Edit: Looks like one of the sets is General Grevious Starfighter, trying to figure out where all the clones come from though.

I see Sebulba, so you've either got 9675 - Sebulba's pod racer and Tatooine, or 7962 - Anakin's & Sebulba's Podracers. However, looking closer, you've got part 6179pb040, so it has to be Sebulba's pod racer and Tatooine. Based on that, you've also got 9674 - Naboo Starfighter & Naboo and Tie Interceptor and Death Star. I wonder where your planet halves are. They're so big and distinctive I'd think you would have put them in the photo if you'd seen them.

Your Naboo pilot isn't wearing the right head though. It's hard to make out that head, it looks like it has glasses or wrinkles, but I looked through all the "head glasses" "head wrinkles" and "head SW" sections and didn't see it.

The other pieces are a little difficult for easy photo searching, but here's a secret. A lot of LEGO pieces, and especially the big rare ones, are going to have a very small product number embossed on them somewhere. It's usually pretty tiny, and you might need the right light to spot it, but it will be on the underside of the piece. For instance, that cockpit from General Grievous' Starship is going to have the number 87606 somewhere on it. If you're really lucky, it'll have 87606pb01 on it. Once you have that, you can head over to Bricklink. At the top of the page, there's a search field. Change "items for sale" to "catalog items" and then put that number code in. Bricklink will then give you every piece matching that code. From there, you can see what sets that part came in and in what colors. [edit] Looks like they changed some things and this isn't working as well as it did for printed parts.

If you can't find the code, sometimes just describing it in the search field will get you close. For instance, those flat discs with the star wars logo. Put in "2 x 2 round tile" and you'll get a list of every 2 x 2 flat round tile LEGO ever made. That one's not hard to scroll through, and on the third page, you'll find it's 4150ps5 (9 sets) or 4150pb091 (1 set). Since they look a little off centered, they're probably stickers, so it's probably the latter -- and looking at the set it's in, you've got the R2 unit and the V-Wing pilot, so it's almost certainly 7915 Imperial V-wing Starfighter. That long piece next to General Grievous' cockpit is also from that set.

NOPE Oh wait! Last one, I see Admiral Ackbar! He was only in three sets, and since two of them are fairly rare exclusives, you probably have this set - the 75003 A-wing Starfighter. Oddly, for a character that iconic and that rare, he's not worth much. He's only selling for about $2.50.

einTier fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 25, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

ltr posted:

Also, Mandalorians are likely from Lego Star Wars 7914 Mandalorian Battle Pack. And That is not Admiral Akbar, it's Nahdar Vebb is from set 8095, General Grievous' Starfighter.

Man, that'll teach me to read. I saw a Mon Calamari and just assumed it had to be Ackbar. Those Mandalorians only came in two sets. Since you have four of them, and most of your other sets have been relatively small, I think it's highly unlikely you have two Pre Visla's Mandalorian Fighters and instead have the battle pack.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Sockser posted:

IIRC, Znap was closer to Construx

e: This dude does some neatish things with Construx: http://construxion.tripod.com/
Construx kinda sucked.

As an adult, Construx sucks. But as a kid, being able to build structures larger than yourself was an incredible feeling.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

smackfu posted:

Here's an interesting review of the BttF set. At the end he builds the original Cuusoo model and shows it side-by-side with the official Lego one. The Lego set is better than I thought, especially from different angles.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84806&st=0

Ok, I'm impressed. I was originally only going to buy this set for investment reasons, but after seeing how it compares, I actually want one to build and I think over time it'll be an excellent set that's fondly remembered.

I'm just hoping they do a UCS version in the future.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

TriggerHappy posted:

The new Boss Crawler also seems like an amazing deal. Is has the same chasis and all the functions of the 9398, but an extra function in the winch, a pole reverser, and 200 more parts. For the same exact price.

Is this only available in Europe? Because that set is way too cool.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Sockser posted:

I mean that's cool and all and

I keep looking at that and wondering if it's LEGO or the real Omega Supreme.

I mean, I know it's LEGO, but when I just glance at it, my mind thinks it's the original Transformer. Holy poo poo, that's good.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

The Rage posted:

Dear Lego,

Please do the firehouse in modular scale. I will pay whatever you ask.

Dear The Rage,

You already have a modular firehouse. Did you buy it?

Sincerely,
LEGO

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Merchant of Death posted:

Wheel from 4481 hailfire droid, it was well used as a wheel in a clever way.
Yeah, here's the wheel on bricklink. It only came in that one set and good luck getting one under $25 USD.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Neurion posted:

Currently all the Monster Fighters merch in our store is on 20% off sale, except for the Haunted House, which is still full price. Make of that what you will.

I would imagine it's selling through Halloween -- it's a great themed set for that -- but after that, retirement beckons.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Neurion posted:

To me it looks like an alternate dimension where Garmadon is sensei and Wu is the bad guy.

In other news, I had an interesting encounter at work today. It was dead-slow, and over the course of the day I was fiddling with parts from the play brick the kids can use and built a sort of micro-scale AWACS plane. Just as my shift's about to end, I get into conversation with a cute young woman who expresses interest in my model. She asked if she could buy it, but we can't sell from the kids' playbrick. Instead she asked if I could e-mail her the instructions and part list for my creation... and I thought "Hey, why the hell not?" So I took the model home, fired up LDD, and churned out instructions and a part list for it lickety-split. I had to do some cross-referencing between BrickSet and BrinkLink to come up with all the part IDs to use on BrickLink, as most of the parts I used in the model can't be ordered from the online PAB. Hope she has fun building it!

Here's a few :effort: renders for you guys to look at.

Edit: gently caress, forgot to mention. In the in-store build I used an illegal build technique, wedging the black tailfin plate between the studs. Naturally, LDD won't let you do that, so I placed it in the approximate location for the renders and instructions I gave her.

"Ordinarily, I'm not supposed to sell from the kid's bricks. ...but I could trade it for some coffee and company down at Starbucks."

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

The rear end Stooge posted:

THANK GOD. No joke, this has been bothering me ever since I got that set.

That misprint will be worth $$$$ in 10 years.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

PriorMarcus posted:

That reminds me, Fire Brigade, Pet Shop and Grand Emporium are finishing this year.

LEGO store guy told me this yesterday as well. Same with Haunted House and maybe the Super Star Destroyer.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dogen posted:

This is an across the board trend to have smaller but more dense and detailed models. It's really noticeable in Star Wars where they're on the third iteration of some vehicles. I think it's a good thing, though.

I noticed it first with Fallingwater. You'd expect it to be much larger, but it's just a very dense, very detailed model. As someone who doesn't want to devote a lot of space to LEGO creations, I actually like this trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
We just won't talk about the three BTTF sets I picked up at Target for $8 each over the holidays.

...oh. wait.