Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I just started reading The Way of Kings because video games are getting boring, and I wanted to get into reading. I was browsing TikTok late at night last week, and this one video popped up, basically saying Sanderson was the next Tolkien, Martin, etc. So I bought the first book and well. 4 pages in and ordered the rest of the series. How have I been missing out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Welcome over! Not sure how much you know (and I don't want to encourage googling), but the Stormlight Archive is just one series in Brandon's Cosmere. It's definitely the meatiest series, but there's also the Mistborn series, as well as a number of standalone books.

Which ones exactly have you ordered?

Rest of the Stormlight Archive and all of the Mistborn.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Cool, you will also want to get Warbreaker soon-ish, and later on Arcanum Unbounded (a collection of short stories), Elantris, and then the more recent "Secret Project" books.

Ordered. Future investments.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

I kinda wanna see what your bookshelf looks like if you've done this with other authors/series

Gonna be honest, this is first real series/author I’ve ever read. So the entire Stormlight Archives and the Mistborn Saga are the first books on the shelf. Nothing before it.

Also,

What a goddamn prologue for the TWoK. I know it’s early, but it’s insane to see how talented Brandon is at writing because I could visualize everything. The Lashings. The perspectives. The fight with the king. This very well could be the next big TV show if Brandon wanted it made (assuming he doesn’t right now.) So people who can absorb Stormlight can essentially alter gravity? That’s wild. Also the thought of a sword that can’t cut human flesh, but kill a soul, so bodies just drop dead is epic.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

New readers : keep posting your thoughts in spoiler bars as you go - it’s our favorite

:o7:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

TWoK - Part 1

Going from a commander who is obviously wielding some form of wind power to a slave immediately in the next part is hilarious and shocking.

This book is awesome.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Louisgod posted:

You might even say it’s this thread’s Investiture

Grundulum posted:

This. So much this. It’s amazing fun to see new readers try to guess what Sanderson will do next in each book/series.

As I get through all of the Stormlight Archives and then, eventually, the Mistborn Saga, I’ll provide my theory’s and thoughts here. I’m all for insight.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

They have arrived.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

TWoK - Part 2

Kaladin going from War hero to enslaved person is pretty depressing as hell. Also, how many sprens are there in this world? I can only imagine that whenever this series of books get turned into a TV series at some point, they will oversexualize the hell out of the windspren that talks with him.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

TWoK - Part 5

Got all the way to the beginning of Part 6 in TWoK. I love how it went from Shallan wants to be the pupil to Jasnah to Jasnah is actually kinda of a bitch and acts like she’s on this super huge high horse to “I’m gonna steal this girl’s Soulcaster.”

Also, looking at all the maps of Karbranth, I wish there was a way to visit that city. It looks awesome.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

TWoK - Part 7

If Sanderson is making me believe that Jasnah is a bitch, he’s done a great job. Also, good luck to whichever director has to figure out the scale of the veil and all those alcoves and darkness.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I just finished Part One of The Way of Kings (Apology’s for my slow reading. Still getting my reading skill back up to Par.)

Holy poo poo, Kaladin getting his spirit and flame back after being in that depressive state got me fired up. I’m ready to run through a brick wall for that man.

Prediction: Kaladin stages a Coup and takes over as Commander of the Camp.
Prediction 2: Some fishy stuff gets exposed between the Parshendi and the High Lord Sadeas.
Prediction 3: Syl is more than just a spirit. She’s either a former love who came back to help Kaladin or she’s some form of goddess.

Now back to enjoying this epic book.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The Way of Kings - Part 12

"Aw, Damnation"

I can tell this book is about to pick up the pace intensely. And I am ready. This book has been so, so good. Holy poo poo. But seriously, when I saw, "Aw, Damnation," I started to laugh. This may as well read as, "Aw gently caress." :lol: It's time to read how they will fight this chasmfiend.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Way of Kings - Part 12

"Aw, Damnation"

I can tell this book is about to pick up the pace intensely. And I am ready. This book has been so, so good. Holy poo poo. But seriously, when I saw, "Aw, Damnation," I started to laugh. This may as well read as, "Aw gently caress." :lol: It's time to read how they will fight this chasmfiend.

The Way of Kings - Part 13

I want this entire chapter in anime form, live-action, or animated like Arcane, but I need this whole fight on film immediately. That was epic!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

Same but the whole series

I'm not sure if there is a director or studio I trust to make this whole series. Only on Part 14 but, whichever studio has the balls to try will be watched like a hawk to see if they make it correctly.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm trying to avoid all of your name mentions in the sequels to TWoK so I don't spoil myself too much. Anyway, I just finished Part 23 of TWoK and...

I would die for Rock. Absolutely. 1000%.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

eke out posted:

say what you will about sanderson but his ability to self-critique and realistically address his own flaws is surprisingly strong

Which is why we will get ten books of peak fiction. Meanwhile, GRRM and all of his fans...

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Tunicate posted:

The Rhythm of War is related to [spoiler]the Beat of Battle, the Sonata of Slaughter, and the Orchestra of Overkill [spoiler]

Redo this my good reader.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I finished Act II of The Way of Kings.

This book is insane. I love Brandon Sanderson. I'll be ordering some merch once I am done reading this.

Notes:

• Rock is my spirit animal. It's pretty drat obvious to me Polynesians inspired Rock and his race, especially his name. Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor sounds a lot like Hawaii's state fish humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa.
  • Adolin got game if he attracts every woman at camp. Hopefully, he marries one.
  • It's fantastic to see Kaladin get everyone in Bridge Four to buy into him in real-time.
  • gently caress Gaz.
  • The Chasms sound like hell. They are walking in darkness, surrounded by bodies and bones. The book went from High Fantasy to Horror quickly.
  • The fight scene with two shard bearers and Dalinar in his vision will be one of TV's most badass fight scenes once they adapt this Book Series.

Predictions:

• Dalinar is much more than human and becomes something else. A Radiant? A Herald? I'm not sure, but he doesn't have these visions for no reason.
  • Adolin kills Sadeas. Sadeas is acting too much like a bitch to the point I'm starting to hate him.
  • Bridge Four becomes the official bridge of Dalinar's Warcamp. Somehow, their efforts are noticed by either Dalinar, Adolin, or Renarin, and they get promoted and moved.
  • Since the book lets us know Shallan became Jasnah's Ward when they were writing with Dalinar, I'll assume the two eventually make it to the Shattered Plains.
  • There is an epic final fight on the Plains. It's either against the Parshendi, or it's against a massive monster, possibly a Void Bringer.
  • The Everstorm (or whatever the big storm Dalinar keeps seeing in his visions) finally comes.

Now, back to reading.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Those are some fun predictions!

Also, if you thought that fight scene was good, just know that it wouldn’t make any reader’s top 20 list. Invest in seatbelts.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

One more note since I just read the interlude to Part 3 of TWoKs.

I can already tell Szeth is about to be a menace in this final part (or even this whole series. I have no clue.)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Finally got around to seeing DUNC part 1 in IMAX today and now I want Oscar Isaac to play Dalinar.

Oscar Isaac? No

Denis directing? Yes

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The Way of Kings - Part 48

Kaladin really killed a shardbearer on the battlefield by throwing a spearhead through the smallest slit in a man’s armor, and when it came time to take his blade, he went “Nah. I’m good…” WTF. I can’t tell if that’s just badassery or fuckery.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Grundulum posted:

The series is loooooooong, but the highs are so high.

I'm only on the first book, but we got six more to go. I hope we all strapped in.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

I don't know how you've come up with the count of six (I guess seven) but you're way short.

4 Books in Stormlight (So Far)

6 more to go.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I finished The Way of Kings and, holy shittttttttt

• PARSHMEN ARE VOIDBRINGERS IN DIGUISE?!?! WTF?!?!
  • Shallan & Jasnah can travel to the Void and Back! That's a twist.
  • Kaladin can infuse Stormlight like Szeth and knows little about what he can do. OMG.
  • Shallan & Jasnah, I guess, will become an epic magical duo if they don't need Soulcasters to perform these acts.
  • A Herald dying in Kholinar & somehow Wit knows where to be at the right time?????

PREDICTIONS FOR WoR
  • Wit gets revealed to be much more than some clever guy. He knows the Everstorm & The Desolation is coming.
  • Szeth goes on a rampage. I'm willing to bet good money Kaladin vs Szeth happens.
  • Dalinar ends up regretting giving up Oathbringer.
  • Chaos rains down on Roshar with the Desolation.
  • In that illustration, We will see a massive boss fight with some giant, epic creature.
  • There's something much bigger happening within Shallan's family. Her father was all sorts of hosed up.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I’m at Part 6 in WoR and my goodness,

The pacing is insane. Not even that deep into this book, and I already know that poo poo IS GONNA GO DOWN. Also, hello Pattern. This spren seems cool.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

I just want to point out that you keep calling chapters "parts", when "parts" are actually big groups of chapters. I don't want anything to think you're further into the book than you are and spoil something.

Whoops.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 7

So that's it, huh? Jasnah just gets assassinated. Wow. Shallan also seems to be unlocking her powers. My prediction is that Shallan and Kaladin team up to form the new Knights Radiant.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 11

Their’s no way that Tvlakv The Slaver, the same slaver that brought Kaladin to the Shattered Plains, is also gonna bring Shallan to the Plains as well. Lmaoooo. I can already see the shock from audiences around the world once they make this into a series.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Interlude 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/jo5cwq/reshi_isles_fan_art_the_taina/

When I read about a giant crab the size of the island, I had to find a fan-art of it. This was good. Wow.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 33

So, will we brush over that Dalinar Kholin caught a shardblade with his bare hands? We are just going to gloss over that. WTF. Dalinar is way more powerful than I am reading, and I can't wait to see what he can do. As for Kaladin, time to get your poo poo together because Szeth may come back.

Prediction:

All Spren - regardless of whether they are fragments of Gods like Syl or entire other beings from other realms like Pattern - are connected. Pattern knew Szeth was near.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 34

And now Shallan somehow has a shardblade. Okay. What the actual gently caress is happening.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm curious. what did you think of Tyn? Even in my first read of the books where I was kinda meh about Shallan, her trip to the Shattered Plains was great, great stuff. I loved every second of it. And for such a minor character, Tyn left a strong impression on me. She and Shallan had a wonderful dynamic.

I honestly thought she was gonna end up being a main character. She was gonna help Shallan evolve and not be so innocent. Tho, it was kinda wild to read just 5 lines and immediately think, “She just went from a ‘friend’ to enemy #1 just like that.”

Also, I know it’s early, but Shallan seems so overpowered. Between being able to Lightweave, visit Shadesmar, Pattern, and her Shardblade, she makes Kaladin look tiny.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

you ain't seen nothin' yet.

:catstare:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Potato Salad posted:

strap the gently caress in, you're gonna need more red yarn

So I just read WoR - Interlude 4 right before Part 3 begins and....

Here comes the Heralds and overpowered forms of warfare. The Almighty is now actually getting active too.

I buckled my seatbelt. It's not enough. I'm going full-blown racing gear and strapping in IN.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ok, what the heck

WoR - Chapter 42

And now SHALLAN CAN SHAPESHIFT HER APPEARANCE?!? WHY IS SHE SO OVERPOWERED?!?!?!!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

A clarification if you want it (because it says in the chapter), she is using lightweaving to change her appearance. She is pretty OP though, and you're still only in book 2.

Yeah I got that part. It’s just crazy how quickly it went from oh she’s glowing and her clothes are radiating and fixing themselves and she appears much more grand than she actually is to

lol, actually whatever she draws, she can turn herself into. A completely different person or a wall. Doesn’t matter.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Side note: I've been building my hardcover collection. This finally came today. Good lord, these books are chunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 59

I love Wit. Instead of just typically reading the chapter, I sang his song.