Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

It's absolutely perfect that they are using the real names of writers, instead of the stupid Barstool nicknames.

It's drilled down to just exactly what has happened on-record. Some of the bullets are worse than the others but the article does a good job establishing patterns of abuse and misconduct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The X-man cometh posted:

A lot of businesses are run by people who are as disgusting as Barstool personalities.

It's this. They keep getting more mainstream respected figures outside of just sports on their shows, and it's helping normalize them as "the guys who totally learned those lessons from the halcyon days of like a year ago". It's the same kind of astroturfing TEA party folk did in 2009 with political poo poo. It's about making an everyman ideal advertisers want and then selling it in perpetuity.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

in bari weiss’ defense, a phrase i will hopefully never say again, she actually managed to be provocative occasionally, if only in a twitter microscandal kind of way

strauss is just nothing, a fart in the basketball wind

Bari achieved that by taking on much worse political opinions. Strauss I feel actually wants to be Bad Boy Bill Simmons - an inherent fallacy

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

He dances around right wing talking points and is clearly into that stuff (not surprising for an Andrew Bogut friend/hype man) but he also wants people to think he's smart so he half asses it rather than just going full bore Clay Travis. But maybe that will change now that he is free from his Mainstream Media cage

That's why I think Simmons is a better comparison point than a shock jock. The first thing Strauss wrote when he was free from the clutches of editorial standards was his opinion of The Sopranos. This isn't someone who I expect can really enter the right wing grift sphere, so my guess is he's going to try to make a Grantland and never mention it

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

It's pretty clear that ESPN values Analysts more than reporters.

Not to mention, reporters are required to travel more rather than stay in a specific location and etc etc

Like it's loving wild to think it's not valid to complain about it.

It's not reflective of talent either. ESPN hires a motley of mediocre to poor analysts that just chuck takes they gathered from either reporters in the field, or sometimes thin air. It's tiring to see the reporters, many of whom are more than smart enough to be better analysts than Kendrick Perkins and other analyst hires, stuck where they are. It's hardly the first time Kendrick Perkins has caused a logjam preventing better people from seeing TV time though

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Her response was a shout out to Houston, her alma mater (Go Cougars!), And it was the funniest she has ever been.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1434292401162657797

:laffo:

someone who is totally a longtime viewer of all Jon's content I see, they'll be missed

This guy prolly loved the post draft analysis Bois did of that undrafted guy Jesus of Nazareth. It's always about trying to stamp out political ideas before those other people start gettin' ideas! :rolleyes:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

i think it is weird they interviewed him and the twitter bot guy but also had actors doing weird reenactments of them, but it was funny that the only NFL person who had any idea what they were talking about was pete carroll

It's the intersection of Carroll's love of analytics and internet personalities!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

So ESPN is gonna rehire him no later than next season, right? And he's gonna get most if not all of his remaining contract from the Raiders?

ESPN was where Gruden worked when these emails were sent. They have shown increased concern about their outward image and aren't going to hire a shitload of baggage back. If anyone hires Gruden next year it'll be one of the chuddy places, Fox Sports, Barstool, etc

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

morestuff posted:

Gruden strikes me way more as a guy who will just gently caress off to Clearwater or somewhere and spend most of his time on a boat

I think this too. He could be a right wing shock jock if he wanted. He's never seemed to be that into culture war.

His big claims to fame are a SB ring with Tony Dungy's players, and being the Packers coach that picked up Brett Favre at the airport.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

He's gonna end up on behind the bastards, he's a serial grooming sex pest who wants to parlay that into pro sports.

Best case from these articles is it puts Coors and Dunkin' on blast for supporting this ecosphere.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Not the least bit surprising. Big Cat and PFT cost themselves so much money sticking with them.

Big Cat is a noted piece of poo poo and PFT's current gig seems to be doing an Alex Jones sports show, so I don't think "sticking with him" is the only reason they stayed

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

He isn't going anywhere. It's their loving brand. If anything, being accused of sexual assault probably increases his worth to the company.

If they did they would have cashed a $100 million check from Spotify and not been tied to Barstool being paid in shares of Penn Gaming they can't sell for another half-decade.

What are you talking about lol

They make $80,000 a show, do roughly three shows a week. That's a $12 million annual gig to make fart jokes and do Chris Berman impressions

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

This is 100% true from what I remember.

Also wasn’t PFTC at SB Nation before the Barstool deal? From what we’ve learned over the past few years, the only job there that’s safe is that of Jon Bois (as he has seniority and is reportedly very tight with several of their execs). I think if he had stayed there he would have been part of the same firings that got the Fullcast crew.

I thought PFTC was at deadspin before barstool

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

morestuff posted:

The KSK guys started in the Deadspin commenter section, which is probably what they’re thinking of

Yeah that's it. Media convergence has kind of screwed with my recognition ability there. I know he did something on deadspin but if it's just he was shitposting there that makes sense to me.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

General Dog posted:

I think it was basically Simmons’ stated vision for the site when it started that it would be short, light articles you could scroll through while taking a poo poo. The Quibi of written content, basically.

Ah yes, Sports Axios, the thing everybody wanted.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the professional athlete/serial abuser Big Ben.you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him".

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

The NYT routinely posts poo poo about "moderates" then it takes like five minutes after the story is published for people to look into them and see they're not moderate at all.

The New York Times Pitchbot is 100 percent accurate about them.

They cry financial hardship then acquire decent sports journalism for half a billion. I wish paywalls kept them from being talked about on Twitter, Christ.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I'm half curious how much the product changes with NYT esque click bait. Their editorial standards are garbage but I dunno how much their poo poo will spill into the sport part.

It's the "buoying the news vanguard to fascism" part that people aren't reconciling.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Wow the NYT is destroying the thing it bought in the name of Journalistic Standards ( not making the white editorial board think about injustice)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

morestuff posted:

Shams has hosed up like this a couple times recently, I wonder if the NYT will eventually put a limiter on him

https://twitter.com/theathletic/status/1545046026154741762?s=21&t=2ZtHREIg8iUEVrnIObBVQg

Forcing Shams to wait to confirm stories would be a good idea so I do not believe that the NYT will make him do it.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Round Mound of NewsHound

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Finally going after Embiid for what really matters: his drink of choice being sugary and nonalcoholic

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

2019: The Athletic is good because they have knowledgeable beat writers and no ads

2023: What the gently caress

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

General Dog posted:

What if they just ran with Jerry’s idea and created a franchise publicly owned by the nation’s Black population? Like a Bizarro version of the Packers.

There's a joke about reparations here I am simply too white to make

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

The NBA has a Wembanyama Era Problem

Opinion: The NBA Needs a Height Limit (Seriously)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

He’s the Median Voter

The (R)ound Mound of Rebound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

This current court would almost certainly not agree to ban gambling ads

"Now we turn to Camel's Corner, where Joe tells you kids which overs to smash and which filters to pass around!"