Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Background cantina alien ordering a Slusho. The name even sounds Star Wars-ey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, is Dennis Lawson actually involved in the new Star Wars stuff?

Nope.

Mirror article about Denis Lawson possibly returning to SW posted:

He told The Courier: "I'm not going to do that. They asked me but it just would have bored me."

It's still quite debatable whether this film even has any relation to the Rogues, in any case.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I hadn't seen any real timeline for the new books, so it's interesting. For example, I didn't know Tarkin took place before A New Dawn, and that Lords of the Sith even earlier than that. Also of note is Battlefront, which I guess means the video game they've been talking about?

There's some weird timeline fuckery going on possibly, as according to the narrative of those books in particular, Tarkin takes place 5 years after the end of the Clone Wars, while Lords of the Sith is situated eight years "after the Clone Wars ravaged the galaxy". At first glance, it appears that Lords of the Sith actually takes place after Tarkin, but something to think about is that in the canon, the Clone Wars lasted 3 years; it's possible that the "8 years" bit is taking the Wars themselves into account, thus having it take place at least around the same time as Tarkin. In any case, A New Dawn appears to take place 3 years after either of those novels. (obligatory :spergin: )

Pretty sure Battlefront is indeed the video game (a novel adaptation would have been at least announced by now), though it's strange that they're still including it in the book timeline, additionally so given the apparent (read: leaked) fact that the single player campaign encompasses the end of ROTS through ROTJ. Odd that they would arbitrarily assign it that specific place in the timeline, through I'd imagine it's a strategy by the Story Group to make a show of the new, interconnected universe that they've created.

VvVvVvV edit: As somebody who liked the surrounding lore of the Dawn of the Jedi comics, this sounds really cool to me.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 30, 2015

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

HELLO IN TV LAND!

CBS-FOX presents...

A Collector's Preview

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I haven't quite gotten around to reading it yet, but I've been hearing good buzz about Alexander Freed's Rogue One novelization; sounds to be very much in the "extra scenes and added characterization" wheelhouse.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/859562273324408832

I mean, he's not wrong.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He was at the helm when we had bug orgies so I'm not sure what angle he's coming from.

Was he? Best I can find is him writing comics for the official site around that time.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

There also the "man, James Earl Jones is sounding rough" factor in play as well. Granted, it's not like they couldn't recast, and it wouldn't be the first time either, but just relegate the character to the comics/games and let the newer antagonists take center stage.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A booby? :confused:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And that person might be... Ron Howard!

:stonklol:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wait, you no longer have to do a time-consuming, planet-hopping fetch quest in order to pick up HK-51? When did this happen?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some book news:

https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/888486990223597568

https://twitter.com/delreystarwars/status/888485027498999808

https://twitter.com/theswu/status/888486206253694977

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/888486430309089280

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 21, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Full list of new books and covers.

I've got my sights on the Art book.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They released the final author list for the From a Certain Point of View short story collection that got announced a while back:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The Z-95 has always held a certain visual appeal for me as a lighter, crappier X-Wing.

Also what the heck :haw:

https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/919270625696538625

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The wildly-varying characterizations of Greedo in those stories made it all worthwhile, though.

Also that crazy stormtrooper dewback fetishist

Also rent-hound Bea Arthur

Paragon8 posted:

I think the best stuff in the anthology is the stuff from the trench run and yavin 4 towards the end.

But I actually do kind of agree with this; Mon Mothma running through worst-case scenarios while escaping from Yavin was entirely my poo poo.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 25, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/923244840250253312

That casting. :stonklol:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Wait who's Guri and Xizor?

Helen Hunt and... Ed Norton, I think?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The idea of "Vader and Thrawn banter for an entire novel" is giving me life

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

The initial pre-release reviews for Attack of the Clones were overwhelmingly positive too, I remember.

Not that I expect this will be anywhere near AOTC but essentially every single genre blockbuster ever gets enormously positive reviews, especially if it's something Disney puts out.

It's not so much the 'what' but the 'why' with these Twitter reactions.

Obviously, you're gonna have your dime-a-dozen "loved the action/story/CG" impressions that barely speak to the film's overall quality, but then there's stuff like this -

https://twitter.com/GermainLussier/status/939790585984008192
https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/status/939746740118237185

- that actually allude to what the film does right and how it improves upon previous works. Got me all intrigued and poo poo.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 10, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

But here's a question: What, essentially, is the difference in borrowing from another film versus simply reusing a leitmotif in the appropriate moment?

Like I'm not sure that Poe's motif cropping up when he does something rad really counts as "recycling".

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 3, 2018

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Plus Poe’s motif shows up at least twice in TLJ: when he blows up the last surface gun and does that :sicknasty: power-slide through the explosion, and also during the “I’m Rey” “I know” bit at the end.

edit: Also kinda have to disagree with the “Rey’s theme does nothing in TLJ” sentiment given how hers and Luke’s “exile theme” interact in the very training scene that is mentioned, in addition to nearly every other scene they share.

There’s an interesting contrast in how the optimistic, adventurous tone of Rey’s theme mixes with the more cynical, workman-like quality of Luke’s.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 4, 2018

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Just a mockup cover commissioned by Kevin Rubio, there's no actual T&B comic announced... yet

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm still not really sold on, well, any of the human leads besides Clarke and Harrelson, but geez, they're really nailing it in the visuals department.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'd pay money to see him return astride a literal space chimaera he captured during his adventures with Ezra and the space whales

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Star Wars: Episode I: Racer is now available to buy on GOG.

Best thing to come out of TPM besides Duel of the Fates.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I’m starting to genuinely wonder if some of you folks might be misunderstanding the intent of a Star Wars book titled From a Certain Point of View

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Who says he's not writing for Star Wars novels anymore? He was fired from Marvel, not Del Rey or Lucasfilm.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He mentioned he was also taken off an announced SW book and I had interpreted that to be a novel, but I suppose he could have just been referring to another comic.

It likely was a comic:

(from the JCC Lit forum)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cover for Alex Freed's Alphabet Squadron (which is also now a trilogy of novels):

They also announced a Marvel tie-in miniseries: TIE Fighter

quote:

From a certain point of view, the rebels are traitors to the Empire, putting the innocent people of the galaxy at risk. In the last days of the Galactic Civil War, an elite squadron of TIE fighter pilots, known as Shadow Wing, is assembled to protect Imperial interests.

Starting in April, you’ll meet these brave pilots in Star Wars: TIE Fighter, a new Marvel miniseries set in the time of Alexander Freed’s forthcoming novel Alphabet Squadron, which we are happy to announce will be a trilogy. The exciting new crossover series from Del Rey and Marvel comics, set after Return of the Jedi, will follow the brutal fallout during the fall of the Empire from both sides of the battle.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I would have gone with something like Aurek Squadron (less clunky, keeping within the alphabetical theme) but idk maybe that's too referential

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Random House has a more detailed synopsis for Aphralphabet Squadron:

quote:

On the verge of victory in a brutal war, five New Republic pilots transform from hunted to hunters in this epic STAR WARS adventure. Set after Return of the Jedi, Alphabet Squadron follows a unique team, each flying a different class of starfighter as they struggle to end their war once and for all.

The Emperor is dead. His final weapon has been destroyed. The Imperial Army is in disarray. In the aftermath, Yrica Quell is just one of thousands of defectors from her former cause living in a deserters’ shantytown—until she is selected to join Alphabet Squadron.

Cobbled together from an eclectic assortment of pilots and starfighters, the five members of Alphabet are tasked by New Republic general Hera Syndulla herself. Like Yrica, each is a talented pilot struggling to find their place in a changing galaxy. Their mission: to track down and destroy the mysterious Shadow Wing, a lethal force of TIE fighters exacting bloody, reckless vengeance in the twilight of their reign.

The newly formed unit embodies the heart and soul of the Rebellion: ragtag, resourceful, scrappy, and emboldened by their most audacious victory in decades. But going from underdog rebels to celebrated heroes isn’t as easy as it seems, and their inner demons threaten them as much as their enemies among the stars. The wayward warriors of Alphabet Squad will have to learn to fly together if they want to protect the new era of peace they’ve fought so hard to achieve.

Now I want a "Tales from the Deserters' Shantytown" anthology in the vein of the Bounty Hunters and Mos Eisley Cantina books from Legends.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 21, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They announced a couple of Galaxy's Edge tie-in books today:

quote:

Marvel Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge miniseries
Written by Ethan Sacks
Art by Will Sliney
Issue #1 available: April 24, 2019

Black Spire Outpost has long been frequented by smugglers, merchants, and travelers from every corner of the galaxy looking to make their score on the infamous black market — or experience the exotic thrills the remote world of Batuu alone has to offer. Aliens like the infamous Dok-Ondar, a proprietor of rare and one-of-a-kind antiquities, thrive on the unique opportunities which abound on the lawless outpost at the very edge of Wild Space in this all-new miniseries from Marvel writer Ethan Sacks (Old Man Hawkeye) and artist Will Sliney (Solo: A Star Wars Story).

quote:

Black Spire (Del Rey)
Written by Delilah Dawson
Available: September 3, 2019

In this novel, a prequel to the Disney Parks experience, General Leia Organa dispatches her top spy to Batuu in a desperate search for Resistance allies.

quote:

A Crash of Fate (Disney Lucasfilm Press)
Written by Zoraida Córdova
Available: August 6, 2019

In this Young Adult novel, Izzy and Jules were best friends until Izzy’s family abruptly left Batuu when she was six. Now she’s back, and Jules, the boy who never left, is unsure what to make of her. While on the run from vengeful smugglers and an angry pirate, the two friends will come to terms with who they are, and what they mean to each other.

quote:

Star Wars: Myths & Fables(Disney Lucasfilm Press)
Written by George Mann
Illustrations by Grant Griffin
Available: August 6, 2019

In this middle grade novel, hear the thrilling space tales, fables, and myths that are told in a galaxy far, far away. The book features two stories that take place on the remote Outer Rim world of Batuu, plus many other untold tales from the edge of the galaxy, lushly illustrated in a style that pays homage to real-world children’s classics.

I'm there for the unofficial Phasma sequel, as well as that Myths & Fables cover, holy bejeezus :aaa:

fake edit: Dawson's also doing a Skywalker-focused storybook

https://twitter.com/DelilahSDawson/status/1091099484468203520

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

All I can say is that it’s likely going to be a shitshow if Batuu shows up in any major capacity in IX.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I just want a series of increasingly ridiculous variant covers for this thing

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lucasfilm just announced all the books they're releasing in the lead-up to TROS. Quite a few "what the gang was doing in the year-gap" entries in there.

Also just an absolute banger of an art book cover:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Van Dis posted:

Alliances was a bad miss, and could have easily been 30% shorter without losing anything of value. Zahn's writing has taken a deep dive since the 90s and he's long out of good ideas.

Chuck Wendig is the human embodiment of assault and battery on written language.

I was surprised at how little of even the present-day stuff in Alliances actually worked.

New alien threat from the Unknown Regions? Nah Thrawn defeats them pretty easily with tactics (which even then is muddled by the narrative's desire to, nevertheless, build them up as a genuine threat)

Reintroducing the Chiss as a species and culture? Well we're just going to have an long, ill-fitting aside about how their only Force sensitives are girls and they use them to navigate hyperlanes because apparently this cool and advanced culture hasn't invented navicomputers

And there's the whole weird fact of the novel's awkward placement in-between seasons of Rebels that leaves it feeling inconsequential in the grander scheme of things

I'm curious to see how they resolve matters in Traitor, but I'm still surprised by how underwhelming Alliances was.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 5, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Only about a 1/3rd through, but so far, Alphabet Squadron is pretty great y'all

- A Rogue/Wraith Squadron comparison would probably be a bit obvious, but it definitely reminds me a lot of those books.
- Heavy BSG vibes, too
- Pursuant to that, it's the first novel of the new canon that I've read and thought "Yeah, this could be adapted into a series"
- Chass is basically Jaylah from Star Trek Beyond, but a B-Wing pilot.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does alphabet squadron address the severe limitations that a mixed squadron setup would inflict on the team's performance or does it embrace the "we have one of everything so we're unstoppable!" mindset?

I have a feeling they might end up there by the end of the book, but at least in the beginning, they flunk the hell out of a training exercise, even damaging a ship, partly because Yrica can't manage the unstable personalities of the squad, but also because it's just really difficult to coordinate ships of varying armament and speed like a regular squadron.

"Alphabet Squadron" itself is a title mockingly bestowed upon the group by the other pilots on the ship they're based off of.

And they're essentially locked into the mixed-squadron setup because it's a limited-resources intelligence operation. All the ships are ones the pilots brought with them (or stole, in Yrica's case)

I'm currently at the point where they've been cleared for non-combat operations as sort of a last chance. Overall, I'm really digging it so far and am eager to get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jazerus posted:

wait, almost the entire new republic military was on one planet??

I imagine it like if Coruscant (as of TPM) had been wiped out. Pre-Clone-Wars, the Republic had basically no standing army or navy, leaving peacekeeping duties to the Jedi or the individual member planets' defense forces.

At the time of Hosnian Prime's destruction, the New Republic is in a similar situation. They've pared down the fleet to a single flotilla orbiting the planet, with probably an equal equivalent in ground forces. Member planets (greatly diminished in number compared to the Old Republic, with many worlds opting to remain independent and neutral post-Empire) have their own militaries, but most of them capitulate to the FO when they come rolling up. That's why there's no response to Leia's message in TLJ; everyone's either surrendered, dead, or dealing with planetary invasion.

edit: ah, jivjov got it