Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, Alan Moore. Can you do no wrong? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I've been replaying KOTOR 2, and it got me wondering about the Revan book. I looked it up on Wookiepedia, and holy poo poo it sounds terrible. Has anyone read it, and is it as bad as it sounds? Inquiring minds need to know.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

Well, I haven't read it, but I know that it bridges the game between the KoToR series and Revan becoming a mid-level boss in TOR. So it's as bad as, if not worse than, it sounds.

Holy gently caress. I knew there was a reason I didn't play TOR or read the book. loving hell. Why couldn't we get an Obsidian written KOTOR 3 instead?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

"Move past and force heal"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Lots of words about KOTOR

Goddamn, now I want to play KOTOR II again. And mourn the loss of KOTOR III.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Calax posted:

Also, For the Record, if there's interest I will continue my Let's Read of the Tales of the Jedi comics, but there just doesn't seem to be that much interest.

I was enjoying reading it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

My mum bought me the first YJK book once when I was sick, and I read it in a single fever-crazed sitting. I loved it to bits, but I could never find any of the others to buy, and none of the local libraries had them, either. I had to make do with reading and re-reading the relevant entries in the Star Wars encyclopedia.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

DJJustice posted:

I'd really love a legit good sci-fi/fantasy writer to take on the Star Wars universe (other than Zahn, who seems to be the best). Just endless piles of near fan-fiction level stories out there.

There's Matthew Stover, who's probably the best author to ever work in the EU.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I have very fond memories of being 8 and loving the Phantom Menace PC game.

8 year old me was an idiot.

Episode I Racer owned bones, though. :colbert:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

You had to come first in all the races or something like that. I remember being happy as gently caress that I'd unlocked him because I could use the flamethrower, but then switched back to using Ben Quadrinaros, because he was faster. Kind of a let down, really.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Even at 8 years old, I enjoyed killing Gungans. But then they all whipped out thermal detonators. Killjoys.

At least, that's how I remember it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Calax posted:

Involved flowcharts.

Anyone still have those? They were amazing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Drone posted:

I'm playing through Kotor 2 for the very first time and I'm kindof in love with it. Are there any EU books that are set during that time period, or at least "a long time before the prequel movies"? I have a feeling if there is anything, it's only recent stuff, and no idea if it'd be any good (most likely not).

There's all the tie-in material they did for The Old Republic, which is... atrocious. Just really really terrible. If you really hate yourself, you can see how badly they gently caress the Exile in the Revan novel. But yeah, the KoTOR comics are pretty good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

That pretty much sums it up, but since pictures speak louder than words (and I'll take any excuse to post this picture):

THIS IS CANON

"I'm sick of these goddamn Star Wars"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Can't forget Fierfek!

No matter how hard you try.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I really liked the Dune prequels. When I was 11. I tried re-reading them a couple of years back, just to see if they were as bad as everyone said.

Turns out 11 year old me was a loving idiot.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

All this video games talk is giving me horrible flashbacks to Force Commander.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Setforceall 1138
g_Saberrealisticcombat 3

:colbert:

Cross-Section posted:

force_sight
simonsays

You could also cheat in the Tantive IV, a Star Destroyer, and the Death Star, but I've long since forgotten the codes for them.

Thatsnomoon was the Death Star, I think. And maybe ImperialEntaglements for the Star Destroyer?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I liked most of the vehicle sections, but anything and everything on foot was the biggest chore.
There were on foot levels? I don't remember those at all. I guess that says a lot about them.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Mind Trick 4 was so much fun. The impotent 12 year old nerd rage Jedi equivalent of "stop hitting yourself".

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 12, 2013

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Arschlochkind posted:

Here let me summarize them for you:

"BOY I HATE STAR WARS. NOW YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME EXPLAIN WHY."

Needs more Zizek quotes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I will never not think Darth Wyrrlok is the dumbest sith name.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Farecoal posted:

I thought that guy would be a Wookiee when I first read that name. Why has there never been a Wookiee Sith

Because most EU writers wouldn't know a good idea if it strangled them.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Darth Enraj, Darth Vilus, Darth Kallous (hahaha)...all from The Old Republic.

:stare: Okay, I take it back.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I have memories of liking the Ssi-ruuk. I also have memories of reading that book while staying at my Grandma's house, age 10, so that might also have something to do with it.

Edit: I also loving loved Dinosaurs.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I really like the Vong as villains. I wish that some more decent writers had been able to have a crack at writing them.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, it took me three years to do it, but it's finally loving finished.

Let's Read The NEW Rebellion!

Yessssss! Your Let's Reads are one of the reasons I bought an account here in the first place.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Nope. I legitimately loved the old Let's Read thread, and it going behind the paywall was one of the reasons that I bought an account.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Beardless posted:

Apparently Pratchett was accused of ripping off Hogwarts when he wrote about Unseen university as well...

Well, Ponder Stibbons does look like Mid-Life-Crisis-Mode Harry Potter... I can see how idiots might get confused.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Suddenly the prequels make so much more sense.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Now that's a trip down memory lane.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

All that said, I think this bears repeating...

Game Informer posted:

The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Slovenian, Marxist Luke. Intriguing.

"The exemplary figures of evil today are not ordinary Imperials who pollute the environment and live in a violent galaxy of disintegrating social links, but those who, while fully engaged in creating conditions for such universal devastation and pollution, buy their way out of their own activity, participating in gated mofferences, eating organic food, taking holidays in whalodon preserves, and so on"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

David Lynch.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Why, thank you. :)

And I was mostly including my own stuff there, if someone wants to preserve their Let's Read there, just let me know.

I'm also currently planning a sort of web series covering the entire EU, both good and bad, starting from the Thrawn trilogy and snaking all over the place. The biggest problem I'm having so far is coming up with a title for it. Suggestions welcome!

"I'm so sick of these Star Wars"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

They're mainly featured in the Tales of the Jedi series published by Dark Horse in the 1990s. They're sort of tied into Dark Empire and the Jedi Academy trilogy - KJA wrote a lot of the series, either on his own or in collaboration with Tom Veitch.

The entire series is available as two (?) Dark Horse omnibus editions; it was comprehensively collected in trade paperback but I believe much of the series is out of print in that format.

There are also audio dramas!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Anger_Leads_To_Hate_Inside_The_Movement_To_Save_The_Expanded_Universe_160167.asp

Tantrum throwing man children will never not be funny.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

buffybot posted:

Let's not forget about ol' Saber Knees.

No, actually let's.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

buffybot posted:

Let's not forget about ol' Saber Knees.

Adbot