Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

chordate posted:

That said, if you're willing to spend around $300 try to find a used tube amp on craigslist. Fender Blues Jrs usually go for that much and they sound phenomenal.

ex. NJ listing for $315

From his link I'm assuming he's in Australia in which case $300 is a great price for that amp. I paid over $400 for mine less than 6 months ago (thinking I was getting a great deal at the time) and don't regret it a bit.
For bedroom playing there's not much that will beat it. While I can't speak for the accuracy of the models, it does just about everything and the power level control is a great feature for those who have to deal with grumpy neighbours (or spouses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Side Effects posted:

The Road Worn series is really just a cosmetic thing. They have the exact same playability as anything else in their line-up, they are just made to look like they've been played for 50+ years.

Not entirely.

Wear on the neck can improve playability by making it smoother and more comfortable to play. The finish is Nitro and I've been lead to understand that the body wood undergoes some additional process to dry it out more than usual. These two things are supposed to contribute to an improved tone such as you might expect from a real vintage instrument.

Exactly what effect this really has on tone is of course purely subjective; as is the playability improvement of the worn neck. One thing that is definitely fact though is that the Road Worn series tend to get good reviews all over.

I don't care much for the artificial wear and tear myself. It just looks fake. On the other hand though, the Road Worn P-Bass I tried the other day was very nice indeed.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Remulak posted:

No, but he sent me this:

That looks like a CV50s body but that's not the original neck, which is maple.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

SubG posted:

-All sorts of good stuff about banjo tuners-

You can even put them on your guitar if you need to rock out some Stones at very short notice.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Pbass is a good answer, though Matt Freeman uses a Jazz and sounds snappy as hell.

Doesn't he have a signature Squier P-Bass?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

muike posted:

I thought MIM guitars had different neck pocket designs from MIA ones just to make sure people can't do that

Nah, it's all pretty much the same right throughout the range and the better third party part manufacturers. The most you might need to do is fill the bolt holes in the neck with some dowel and re-drill (not an issue for a brand new Warmoth neck).

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Satan's Pilgrims...

I liked these guys so I decided to check them out on Spotify

lol

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Top wrapping. Lets you get a shallower break angle over the bridge while still keeping the tailpiece snug against the body.

e. beaten

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

It looks like it was copied from a Hanna Barbera cartoon. There is no judgment in this observation.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Wengy posted:

By the way, I might acquire a tube amp in the near future, and the models I'm checking out lack my favorite effect - tremolo. Soooo... What's the best tremolo pedal in this thread's opinion? :)

I have no personal experience with it but the Source Audio Vertigo looks pretty good from the demos, has more features than you will probably ever use and isn't too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4E0f9xk5bc

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Shimverb for 50 is a pro click. The rest can be hit and miss but the Shimverb is the new DE7/Bad Monkey/Fabtone in terms of making it onto srs boards for srs players. Cheapest and smallest pedal that does the harmonised reverb stuff on the market.

This surprises me because the shimmer effect on those sounds awful for anything more than single notes. Harmonisation is a 5th above what you're playing so full chords sound like garbage.

The more recent pro version, on the other hand, gives you a full octave harmonisation which sounds great with chords.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

After hearing the Strymon Blue Sky shimmer setting I was looking at the shimverb as a cheap alternative but gave up on it cos it sounded so bad.

This video uses fairly extreme settings but shows what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFqBLlbIdmk&t=212s

It's probably useable at more subtle settings in certain situations but it's something to be aware of if you're after that sort of effect.

In general though those Mooer pedals hit more than they miss in my opinion. Between them, Joyo, Sound City and probably some others I'm forgetting, it's super cheap to fill out a pedal board these days.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Analog, solid-state and digital are 3 different things. And between them solid-state is more like analog than digital modeling.

That's not quite correct. Analogue and digital are two sides of the same coin. Analogue uses continuous electrical values to represent sound, digital uses discrete electrical values to do the same. Although to further confuse matters, digital equipment still needs some analogue components to convert the digital values into the analogue values that we can perceive.

Solid state vs valves is a separate thing. Although it is usually used to reference analogue transistor based amps, anything that uses semiconductors is considered solid state, including digital circuits. Anything that uses valves is not. It should also be noted that it is also possible, though impractical and pointless, to create digital sound processing gear using valves. Again a single piece of equipment can make use of both technologies.

To sum up;

Solid state/valves - the physical technology used
Digital/analogue - the way it is used

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

telecaster is the best no nonsense electric guitar

True fact.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Is there a better solution?

Change your strings.

E. Beaten by a lot. It pays to refresh.

To add some actual content; all that crap coming off your strings is being put there by your fingers. If you find yourself needing new strings too often then make sure you're washing your hands before play and giving your strings a quick wipe after.

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 11, 2015

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Buy strap locks and get two free bottles of terrible Dutch lager.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

What sort of interface are you plugging the guitar into?

You will very likely need to use the same device for both input and output so hopefully it should be as simple as plugging your headphones into whatever interface you're using.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Professor Science posted:

it seems like you have to use the same input and output device with ASIO and can only use different ones with DirectSound, which probably results in terrible latency.

Yeah, this. I think it's possible to combine physical devices into a single virtual device using the ASIO4ALL drivers. I never seemed to have much luck with those though.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Pedal GAS is pretty low impact as long as you buy used and make sure you sell anything you no longer use. If you're disciplined you can get by without ever spending more than your initial "investment".

Of course I am not in any way disciplined and never stick to that. My rationalisations include:

1. No point in selling this lovely JOYO for $20 or whatever.
2. Regret from previous sales leading me to rebuy the pedal brand new at a further loss.
3. There's not a very active used market in Aus and I might never see another one for sale. Relates to point 2.
4. I modded it and it's now too hard to part with.

If I hadn't had kids and had to severely limit my spending I would be drowning in pedals right now. As it is I still have 20+ pedals sitting around doing nothing since I barely ever get the opportunity to turn my amp on.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

spamman posted:

(bonus gear if you live in Melbourne).

I do actually. Got any details? This might actually bring me back to Facebook.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Milosh posted:

Should've clarified. Been thinking about building a strat copy, anyone have any experience doing that?

I don't play music live as much anymore so hard to justify getting something over 1k. Basically but got that itch for a Strat, and think it might be fun to build one, or i'd upgrade a decent cheap one (MIM or a higher end squier).

There are a couple of sellers that part out guitars on ebay which can be handy for putting together your "dream" guitar without having to go the full custom route. I've done three separate basses this way and have been extremely happy with all of them. I even sold one for something close to what it cost me. In general though, you won't be able to sell it for anywhere near what it cost, so if you're the type that buys and sells a lot you're probably better off looking for something used. If, on the other hand, you think you might enjoy the process of putting it together then you should definitely go this route.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_(instrumental)?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

It's the only instrumental song of which I know that was banned from radio, although it's usually the title which is blamed.

gently caress it, ima go listen to Link Wray anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB0a4KtigKY

I love this guy's videos. Watching makes me want to pick up my guitar and practice no matter what my mood is or how many hours I've already practiced. Gotta get that pickslanted laser shred man!

That video lead me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGEF92y4W2o

Jesus Christ. When you see what she's doing with her right hand..... I can't even... I give up...