Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Edit: Ignore my mostly stupid rant below. Got excited over nothing.

Why are we as musicians so easy to rip off?

Someone suggested to me to get a treble bleed circuit for strats. For those that don't know, this is intended to minimize the loss of treble when rolling off on your volume knob. Seems easy enough. Just a simple resistor and a capacitor, can't be either hard or expensive.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Capacitors_and_Resistors/Golden_Age_Treble_Bleed_Circuit.html

My first though is, ~$7 not too bad. But then I thought, wait, those resistors are super cheap to make. And even the drop cap on Stew Mac is only like $3 or $4. So I do a little cross shopping for the products elsewhere.

The capacitor is $0.40 and very quickly reduce in price when purchased in bulk.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-BC-Components/BFC246755102/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7Yc6I5XnGbMLleFNLopel2VE%3d

The resistor is $0.10, but $0.05 each when buying in bulk.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MFS1-4DCT52R1503F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlubZbdhIBIKvSxBP1nZk0RIwvnkPhYfQ%3d

This one is ten times more expensive at $1 each in case you need 0.1% tolerance instead of just 1%!
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KOA-Speer/MF1-4CCT52R1503B/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlubZbdhIBIMlz%252bT8lH39KcEmj51YRxKI%3d

I understand their is labor involved, but $7 for $0.50 (less than $0.25 when buying in bulk) of parts and what amounts to two globs of solder.

Makes me wonder what else I am getting ripped off on. Capacitor prices in general seem to be WAY off. Meanwhile pot prices are generally at least in the same ballpark. Weird. Maybe I should just buy most of this stuff at an electronics supply/hobby store.

Edit: Looking around more, I guess this is just kind of an unusual item. Many of the other capactor values you would expect to use on a guitar are a similar price as to what you might find on StewMac. Kind makes ordering it a little weird. Shipping would ruin any potential savings. And StewMac actually sells those items separately for pretty cheap. Complaining over nothing.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

sout posted:

Man I really wanna get a guitar with a trem. I'd never use it, of course, just... ya know.

A trem is fun to have. I have two. I deck both of mine, and use the trem pretty sparingly. Decking the trem is basically tightening the springs down until the top part of the trem is flush with the body. I feel like it gives you a good mix of hardtail tuning stability with things like unison bends, and a little bit of trem play (down pitch only of course). Do a quick google search and you will find plenty of info on how to do it correctly. Its not hard at all. Although some guitars have issues with proper string height and intonation. I had to shim one of my strat necks to fix an issue with very high action.

Both of my trems are 6 screw Fender "vintage style" trems. But my understanding is it can be done on the 2 post USA and G&L style trems as well. However, I have read that that both Floyd Rose and PRS style trems can not be decked.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

I can also vouch for the Dream 180. It sounds great clean while still sounding really good distorted.

Does anyone have any experience with the Surf 90? I built a guitar using all GFS XGP parts this weekend (grand total, after loving up the first body, including all tax and shipping was a little under $500) with a Mean 90 in the neck and Surf 90 in the bridge. The Mean 90 works perfectly, but, for some reason I can't wrap my head around, the volume pot does nothing with the Surf 90, and the tone pot functions as a volume knob for it. What's weird is that both pickups are wired into the switch, with the switch outputting to the volume pot. It's not a total dealbreaker for me, since the pickups sound great, but that's a weird rear end wiring issue.

For the record, the Mean 90 sounds like a p90 mixed with a little bit of an acoustic guitar, while the Surf 90 sounds like the bridge of a strat mixed with a p90, and the guitar came out really well for a first time build.

I doubt the pickup is broken. I have a feeling you may have just managed to wire it up wrong. Do you have a link to what diagram you are going by? Can you upload a picture of what the wiring you have looks like? Is it volume/tone and the guitar is acting more like volume/volume? Do you have a second tone pot? Does the tone pot also roll off the treble on the Mean 90 or just the volume on the Surf 90?

I had a weird wiring issue like sounds similar to that, but I could never quite figure out. I plan to sell the guitar as-is, so I don't want to spend any more time or effort dealing with it. Standard strat wiring with volume, tone, tone. The master volume works fine, but the middle pickup volume drops out when rolling back either tone control. I have one tone wired to neck and the other wired to bridge, which could be part of the issue, but I am pretty sure I had the same problem when it was wired neck tone, mid tone. For all I know, it could just a be a short in the 5-way switch. I didn't have any replacement caps or pots of the right values. I could have soldered out some pots and caps meant for humbuckers from a different pickguard, but like I said, I didn't really want to spend more effort on it.

The guitar has mini-pots, which could be part of the problem as well. I have read they are more easily damaged by the heat from soldering, but have no personal experience with that. I don't know what a heat damaged pot behaves like.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

I can't crack it open right now since I'm at work, but here's the quick rundown:

There are six components in play: two pickups, a 3-way telecaster switch, two pots (one tone, one volume), and the jack itself, with another ground connection going to the tremolo screw plate.

code:
MEAN---------
              \
               3-WAY SWITCH--------Volume--------OUTPUT JACK
              /                         \
SURF---------                          Tone
The Mean 90 in the neck has a four wire hookup: red and white are soldered together, one wire goes to ground, the last goes to the switch. The volume pot for this pickup rolls down the volume, the tone pot rolls down the tone.

The Surf 90 in the bridge has a two wire hookup: one hot wire going to the switch, and a braided silver cable which goes to ground. The volume pot does nothing, the tone pot rolls down volume.

The three way telecaster switch is wired to go directly to the volume pot on lug 1 (I think. I don't know my lug numbers, but I know that turning down the pot turns down the volume on the Mean 90), which is also connected to the tone pot. The tone pot has a standard .047 cap on it.

The pots interact with the Mean 90 exactly as intended. The Surf 90 is the only pickup affected by this. If it were both pickups, that'd be an easy fix. Considering it's one pickup and how they're hooked up, I'm stumped.

Don't get me wrong, I love this guitar and how the pickups sound with the volume and tone dimed, so I'm not disappointed at all in how it turned out. This is just a weird issue I ran into, and if anyone could give me some insight as to what's happening, I'd appreciate it.

Incidentally, I burned a tone pot before on a different guitar. It warped something in the pot so that rolling it off did very little until it hit 2 on the dial, and then, WHAM, no more treble.

Mean 90 has 4 wires? Are you sure? Is it maybe a different pickup? I have a mean 90 and it just has two plus grounding wire, although that was before their quickplug system. But I would think a single coil would just have hot, ground, and the braided ground like the Surf 90. I have a feeling that is not the problem. Might be either the 3-way switch being wired incorrectly, or a maybe an internal short in it? Pictures would definitely help when you get a chance. Probably just something silly.

This should be the diagram you should be using right off Seymour Duncan's site.

https://docs.google.com/gview?embedded=true&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seymourduncan.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F05%2F2H_3B_1V_1T.pdf

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 28, 2017

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

nitsuga posted:

I've played a couple Revstars at my local shop. I like the ones with P90s the most, but they are all pretty good guitars, definitely a nice break from the "typical" fare.

Just played one in GC today since someone here mentioned it. The one I played was the same as the one you did. They play and sound fantastic. Great upper fret access. The neck is on the smaller side without being too small, which I like. The p90s seemed to match up perfectly to the Bassbreaker. I played it through a Bassbreaker 15 (fantastic amp I should really own). I wanted to compare it to a Gibson with P90s, but where I went didn't have a single Gibson with p90s on the floor. Instead played a Gibson LP Studio afterwards, and though that guitar was pretty meh in comparison. The only reasons I didn't like it were for the dumb reasons that shouldn't matter but do. The body style isn't too bad. I prefer a Gibson style 3 way over the blade. And I don't really like the headstock for whatever reason. However, if I was blindfolded while playing, I don't think I would have any complaint about this guitar. But I might be one of those styles that could grow on me.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Wood?

Or is that the joke?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Justin has (or at least had) a video lesson on it. I think he talks about concerns with string breaking at the begining of the video. Pretty sure he suggests to tune down a semi tone. But maybe that was for open tunings.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Only 4 guitars have ever been sold for over $900,000. Why would anyone think it's worth anywhere near that much?

I guess so when someone gives him $50k they think they got a bargain?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

No Egrets posted:

What are people’s thoughts on the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and is $325 for a gently used one a good price?

They are great amps, especially on the clean channel. Take pedals well. But they are really loud. And most people do not like the drive channel at all. So just know what you are getting into.

That sounds like a good price to me. They usually seem to go for $400-500 locally. But I guess it depends on your area.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Anyone have any experience with Strat sized P90s? I am not looking to spend $100+ a pickup and wondering if there are any budget options that still have a P90 feel. I saw that Dimarzio has one, but can't find much in the way of clips or comparisons with other pickups. I was hoping to keep a classic strat look, so most likely don't want the lace sensors.

I am also debating whether I want it just for the bridge, bridge/neck with a more standard single coil for some 2/4 quack, or all 3 p90s. So any experience you have would probably be useful.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Krustic posted:

I just picked up a Dimarzio dp111 sds-1 bridge pickup that sounds kinda like what you’re describing but it hasn’t arrived yet. It’s like 50 bucks plus MF has a 10% off coupon. Here the description- Recommended for bridge position. It might look like a Strat guitar pickup, but the SDS-1„¢ adds balls, gain and warmth reminiscent of the best old soapbar pickups. I was sold at adds balls.

Yeah, that is one of the ones I am looking at. There are a few other boutique ones as well, like Fralin. BG pickups has its own version too. They seem to range from about $50 to $125 or so. BG even has a full calibrated set for what seems like a mostly reasonable price of $145.

Let me know what you think.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Sockington posted:

I have a pair of his Pure90s in my Strat and love them.

Heard some great things about Pure90s. Some of the best P-90 in humbucker form on the market. That looks really good.

This may just be crazy talk, but I was thinking of just putting soapbar p90s in. I could just do a basic vol/tone pot, but I am even considering doing 2 vol and a concentric pot for the tones. Or two concentric pots. One for each pickup. Just not sure if I want to spend a ton on pickups and pots for something I am just doing on a whim. Could just get the pickguard and some basic pickups for less than $50 if I wanted to test the idea out.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Anyone know what specific model Al is playing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4l-uy_VPog

Custom 22 Private Stock?

poo poo it sounds good.

I do not know a whole lot about PRS, but in my limited knowledge and research, I would guess it is a McCarty. It looks like it has the Kluson style tuning keys, which seems to be common to them. And has a stop tail rather than a tremolo. Both the 22 and McCarty is available in both. But it just seems like the 22 more often has a trem. Also, I think the McCarty is considered the more expensive, refined, precise, buzzword of the two. But Could just as easily be a Custom 22 as they look a lot alike. It is definitely not a McCarty 594, which has a different control layout. But it could be anything since I am sure a touring musician like that can have one made any way he wants.

Edit: Speaking of the McCarty 594. Are there any other Gibson style double cut clones that have the control layout like that? Two volume, two tone, and the 3 way switch on the upper horn? I only know of 3 of them. I own an Agile AD that they don't seem to make anymore. Yamaha made something they called the SG back in the 80s, which was more or less a combination of the LP and SG. Epiphone makes the Tak Matsumoto signature models with it. But they leave out one of the tone knobs for whatever reason. I also see extremely low quality Chinese DIY kits just about everywhere that sells set neck kits. I am guessing it is not a very popular style, but people seem to like the PRS. Dunno. Kinda want one with p90, which I have literally never seen.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 9, 2018

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Side note but it boggles my mind that Gibson went and made the Modern Double Cut when they had the shape for the Tak signature model already. This thing is loving gorgeous.

I guess it's just a double cut LP but it looks different to me. I mean really, if they made those in Studio (no frills), Standard (binding, etc) and Modern (give it the heel carve, asymmetric neck, etc) it'd be a loving awesome choice for those that want a double cutaway that's not an SG.

My favorite looking Gibson DC (that is not a special) is the Studio. It seems that have all kinds of notes that just make it look classic. Probably because it looks like a LP DC Special except with a carved maple top. The Modern DC looks like they were trying to be futuristic rather then elegant. And it just doesn't look good to me. I can understand why it wasn't a big hit.

Compare this:
https://reverb.com/item/8821381-gibson-les-paul-double-cut-standard-sunburst-2001

To the Modern:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Modern-Double-Cut-Standard.aspx#MDCSPSL11128

The Tak is almost between the two in terms of shape. The upper horn looks a little closer to the Modern, but the lower horn looks more like the 2001 Standard above:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Tak-Matsumoto-Doublecut-Custom-Ebony.aspx

widefault posted:

Mid 90s Made in Korea Epiphone LP Special, even has P90s

It is certainly towards the top of my list. But like you said, they haven't seem to make them since the late 90s. Not sure about spending $500 (plus shipping) on a used Epiphone from 2 decades ago. Or I could get a used Gibson LP DC faded for around $1000...

There is also a guitar called a Cruizer by Crafter that keeps tempting me on Reverb. It's basically the same thing, but bolt on and upper fret access that is more like the Gibson. But an off brand I have never heard of. Seems like it will just frustrate me. I think I need to just save and go for the Gibson, otherwise I will never really be happy. But I am not sure I want to spend that much on a single guitar. Just my nature I think. Might just have to stick with what I got for the moment.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

widefault posted:

There's also Hamer Sunburst Archtops, start at ~750 new.

Ha. I own one in black. I always fumble over the controls. I haven't really liked it since I got it. I just like the Agile way more. It only comes in humbuckers. But putting Mean 90s in it didn't really do it for me. Maybe I just don't like P90s as much as I thought I did. Plus the action was way high, and I didn't figure that out till I had pulled the Mean 90s, so it wasn't a great player either. Could put them back I guess and give it another try. The headstock kinda looks weird on top of that, was hoping I would grow to like it. I know I am probably just being overly picky. But I like what I like, you know.

The Agile is blue. The Hamer looks a little purple in the picture but is "trans black".

Sorry, I originally asked because I was more surprised that the only big name production guitar that is a proper Les Paul Double Cut is a $4000 PRS. Then I shifted it into me lamenting about not wanting to spend money on things that weren't quite what I wanted. Oops.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

It just boggles my mind how Gibson just doesn't have a double cut with features people want. I know they have the SG but as stated there's the DC Studio and Tak that look loving great. The Hamers mentioned also rock. Why does Gibson not do a proper double cut?

I do appreciate a lot of variety solid body Gibsons have; the Les Paul, SG, Firebird, Explorer and Flying V. It's just I see people asking for exactly this sort of thing so there's clearly a market for it. But nope, let's release neon Les Pauls with Floyd Roses!

Not that there's no one who wants that but they have this clear hole that they could compete with PRS and the like with. They have the shape already, they already have made them.

I don't mind the Modern Double Cut but it just puzzled me that they decided 1) it was a custom shop run, 2) it looked worse than the models they already had, and 3) despite being a custom shop run you got what you were given drat it.

I'm ranting a bit because it's a topic close to me. I love Les Pauls and Gibsons. I have my problems with them but I love them. I also love brands that have "evolutions" of the LP. Same basic idea (woods, pickups, etc) but modernised. The Hamer and Agile are good examples as long as a favourite of mine (that I'll never afford) of the b3 SL.

Even my G&L Ascari is very Gibson-esque in design. Mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, binding , two humbckers, etc. It's a different guitar but there's elements they share.

It's just weird. The Modern Double Cut wasn't a bad idea, just mediocre execution, but it looks like they're using it to say, "look, no one wants a new model!"

It is a really good looking guitar. And the closest any Epip/Gibson has come to what I am really looking for in a guitar. They had an Epiphone version of the Tak stateside for about $800 for a while. Might get one just for the hell of it.

Looks like you can still order them actually:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...GC-adType%5EPLA

I am guessing that there really is no market for it or they would make them. Maybe if you could convince one of the "old guard" players to use one? Or maybe just Joe Bonamassa? Probably fly off the shelf. I'm guessing wanting a classic looking guitar that is not actually a classic design or used by someone the average American consumer has never even heard of is not for a brand like Gibson. They are a product of their own early success in some ways. Can't really innovate because that is not what people who buy Gibsons expect. Hell, you can't even buy a brand new the LP DC Special without going custom shop right now. And that is a design from the 50s. But I feel like this sort of discussion comes up every few pages in this thread.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

What is everyone's go to place to buy replacement tubes? My Peavey Classic 30 is humming, and it was suggested that the most likely reason is old tubes. I am in the US. Also, I think I need to clean the pots because they are pretty scratchy too. Any products people like to use for that? I have heard just standard contact cleaner works, but not so sure about how to get it in there.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Any good amps out there for under $300? Under $200? I had a Yamaha THR5 and enjoyed it, but wanted something a little louder and with better FX. I tried the Boss Katana and was a little let down, it just didn't seem quite right to me. I see the Fender Champion but haven't been able to track one down yet.

I've heard very good things about the Fender Mustang III V.2. Never owned one, but I have played them in music stores and they seem like a really nice amp. You can get them used for under $300. The V.1 had some fizz issues that may or may not have been fixed via a firmware update.

I have heard VERY mixed reviews of the Mustang GT. Some people think its the greatest thing ever, especially the Fender cleans, while others thing it sounds horrible under any conditions. Some have speculated that the speakers are out of phase, thus making it sound whimpy. Which in theory would only affect the amps with 2 speakers, which is the 40 and 200. The 100 is a 1x12. I never got around to testing it out myself, and its possible they fixed it with some firmware updates.

The Marshall Code series has similar mixed reviews. But as expected, it does Marshall sims well, but not Fender cleans.

I think Yamaha makes a larger TH series amp as well. But I have never touched any of the Yamaha stuff.

I think those are the Boss Katana's main 3ish competitors. All have good value if you like them. So go to your store of choice and try them out.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i've been buying from eurotubes for close to 20 years now. i'm sure there's cheaper places but whatever i'm stuck in my ways

as for cleaning pots, there's usually an open spot on the casing that you can spray into, but if not just aim for the gap in between the casing and where the lugs connect

I ended up just getting it from Amazon. None of the tube specialty places seem to also sell contact cleaner. And didn't want to pay for shipping twice. Plus Amazon said they would get me the tubes next day as part of prime. So I will have it tonight.

They are supposed to be a matched quad set of JJ's. I will let you know if it doesn't work out as advertised.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

tbf i don't think either rob or lee believe any music was made after about 1988

Not true. It's just that all music since than has been made by John Mayer. Everyone on the Anderton's channel has a huge crush on him.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

Ibanez has a cheapo psuedo-SG coming out soon that I like the look of (GAX30) and I plan to tune it to B for use as a stoner/Swedish-death machine.

No sweet leaf, though. Sorry for being a square.

I guess this sort of a round about way answers my question from a few pages back. Looking at the Ibanez line, the AX and AR lines are more or less DC LPs with the full proper controls. Not a huge fan of the headstock, but overall the AR series looks like some nice guitars.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I kinda like the ESP "strat" headstock on their Telecaster clone (TE) more than I like the Telecaster headstock, at least in natural wood color. Although I think they modified it recently to look more "hook-like"

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I replaced the four EL84 power tubes on my Peavey Classic 30. It sounds exactly the same. The hum it gives off sounds like a higher pitch, most likely 120 Hz. Doing some research it sounds like this is probably the input filter capacitor. Which unfortunately is a bitch and a half to replace in this amp. Especially for someone with little to no experience with soldering amps. The amp is 3 PCB's attached in a U shape held together with small angle brackets. Additionally, all of the large capacitors are hot glued to the PCB in addition to being soldered to the board. It suggested you replace all those caps at once and the parts are less than $50, but I would guess the labor is gonna cost me $200+, which kinda sucks. I am taking it in to an amp tech tomorrow. He said he would give me a free estimate, so hopefully he has better news.

If it costs too much, I might either try to fix it on my own just to mess around or sell it for cheap on craiglist to someone who enjoys tinkering on amps. But I am getting a little ahead of myself.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

It could just as easily be a dirty/rusty pot. I had this problem in my amp and a few guitars. If the volume drops in and out as you rotate it, or there is a scratchy noise, then it could just be a dirty pot. Someone suggested this to me a few months back and it was a life changer.

I recommend everyone have some electrical contact cleaner on hand for their guitar equipment. I got Deoxit, but there are probably a million brands that are all about the same. But it works like a magic. Out of about 20 pots I tried it in, only one didn't solve the problem. I have a feeling it might be a damage or bad pot though. I even used it only computer speaker volume knob and the volume knob for my Amplitube Stealth pedal. It started to get a bit addictive until I had nothing more to use it on.

You use it by simply taking the knob off the top and spraying with the little nozzle at the seam between the shaft and the body of the pot. You will need to create a sprayshield with a paper towel, cause otherwise it will get everywhere. Then twist the shaft through the full range of motion a dozen times or so. You sometimes get a feel for when all the gunk is gone. Repeat if necessary. Usually its not even needed. Then put your knob back on and its good to go. Dozens of videos on youtube if you have no idea what I am talking about.

I have read that you should not use WD-40 as it is a lubricant and not at all the same sort of thing.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I just had the weirdest issue with what I assume was a bad string. Guitar had been strung for probably two or three months, but I hadn't touched or tuned up the guitar in a month. Tuned the guitar up to E Standard. Played a few licks that included a bend on the high e string, when suddenly the string kind felt like it popped and went out of tune. Except everything was still connected. So I tried to tune up about a half dozen times and every time I got just past D# the string would detune by at least a step to step and a half, sometimes more. Right around the time I was figuring that the tuner was messed up, the ball end of the string pops right off. Seems the winding on the ball end came loose with no actual snapping of the string.

I guess its good that it wasn't something that required me to buy a new tuning machine, but that is a first in my 6 plus years of playing.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

The Leck posted:

I had something similar to this happen repeatedly on my J Mascis Jazzmaster where the winding would unravel, but the ball end didn’t pop off. It happened with different strings, different brands, different gauges, everything. No one I talked to had even heard of this happening, including my guitar teacher, the shop, and this thread! As best as I can tell, there was a tiny burr in one of the holes in the tailpiece that the strings go through that needed to be sanded down a little, and it’s just fine now, but it was a weird few weeks trying to figure that out.

Hmm. I haven't restrung the guitar yet, but I will take a look before I do, and keep it in mind if it ever happens again.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

sudo rm -rf posted:

nobody worth listening to gives a poo poo about relicing either, though.

I don't listen to John Mayer at all, so maybe he is a bad example, but...

http://www.fenderrocks.com/historic-fenders-john-mayers-black1/

He seems to love at least two custom shop Fender relic guitars. He could literally buy any and all guitar he wants, including a 1954 original if he wanted a real historic (I'm sure he owns plenty of those as well to be fair), and instead had the custom shop make one for him. Rustic, worn, distressed, relic, whatever is just an ascetic. Same as neon/sparkly paint jobs, hello kitty guitar, acrylic guitars, pointy metal guitars, adding LEDs, or a guitar that is actually a surf board. Getting worked up about it beyond "I don't want one" seems silly. It is also very fair to say with any of those styles that it can be both tastefully done and tacky. Or you just find all of that style tacky. Cool.

Then again, in that video, Mayer says he threw his ~$5,000-$10,000 custom shop guitar in the freezer for like 3 days when he first got it because it didn't sound "right". Turns out it was a bad solder joint. So he is kind of an idiot.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

I *do* need a new set of pickups for my 2017 Strat Elite. It has the stock V4 Noiseless pickups and I need to tell you about last Sunday:

One of the guys I talked about a lot in music threads around here, a guy who loved Gilbert and Malmsteen and was the best shredder I've known, passed away of a massive coronary event at 47 years old. On Sunday I met with a buddy of mine from High School, the tone snob who buys any snake oil he sees (think $40 picks and apparently now his passion is collecting the LTD versions of Kirk Hammet's "Horror movie poster collection" of ESP guitars... I don't get it but hey whatever floats yer boat) and a friend an old high-school buddy of my late friend.

It was a very sweet and long day. We met specifically so I could meet and play all the various sets of pickups in my friend's rather sizeable Strat collection. I ended up playing sets I can't even remember the names of, but there were Woodstock pickups, various other Fender sets, Ritchie Blackmore sets, Jason Lollar pickups (OMG they were awesome), and some others. To be quite honest, they plugged into my Strat last and I thought it stood up rather admirably to the other pickups I'd just heard. The overall difference, through my amp, of the various pickup sets was much less than I'd expected (what you might consider the "just-noticeable-difference") except the Lollars had this amazing way of sustaining and feeding back harmonically that none of the other pickups sets had, while having otherwise a similar over-wound texas style tone overall.

I really do want to replace the V4 Noiseless set in my Strat with something a little gnarly, and the Lollars stood out for that crazy ability to sing. But all the other pickups sounded great, too. The pickups in the Hendrix Strat had more headroom and needed more work to break up, but that felt like a good thing when I was playing them. The very first set I played seemed to be just right, I wish I could remember what they're called (they were another Fender replacement set).

I'm leaning towards a full set of Lollars (they are basically as expensive as that Fishman Fluence set) but my friend reminded me I should consider Eric Johnson's Strat set too. There are too many choices. Now I've added this Fishman set to the list of considerations.

I honestly don't know what to do except go with my gut and just buy a traditional set of Lollars and call it a guitar.

I know the feeling. I often feel like there are too many options when it comes to pickups. I am thinking of putting my MIM strat back into a traditional SSS setup. It was originally an HSS with crappy ceramic pickups, then I put in a prewired pickguard (SSS) with the hottest GFS Neovin sets with 1 meg vol/tones before I knew anything about pickups, then I routed the neck out for humbuckers and put in two Mean 90s, which was fun.

I keep going back and forth with what the heck I want to do with the drat thing. I do want to do this proper with high quality pups or just get "good enough" pups from one of the cheap brands? Do I want noiseless or traditional? I do I want vintage sounding pups in there? Do I want a overwound bridge pickup because I don't usually care for normal strat bridges? Do I just want to drop $300+ for the Fishmans? It sometimes feels like the best option. Two guitars in one! But at the same time, is it really that much different than a $60-90 set from GFS. Can just get a tubescreamer to switch from one "setting" to the other. So instead I just read about pups from dumb people on the interwebs and listen to crappy youtube clips all day.

Then I am not even sure what I like the look of the best. All black. Tort with black. All white (or aged white/cream). Tort with white. Leaning towards the first two.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

So I know asking these sorts of questions, especially about Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin, often lead to the land of crazy, but here goes...

I was watching Youtube clips from "It Might Get Loud" where he plays parts of "Over the Hills and Far Away" and in a live performance of "I'm Gonna Leave You, Babe" that Page's Les Paul was missing the pole piece adjustment screws in the neck humbucker. At first I figured it was just one of his alternate guitars where he uses the neck bucker for the acoustic sounding parts. I tried to look up information on it, but I couldn't find anything more than a single post on a message board where anyone seem to even acknowledge that he did/does it. However, I did find a page about his "Number One". Unless I missed it, It is not mentioned in the article, but all the close ups show the adjustment screws have been removed. So it seems he does it on even his main guitar.

http://findingzoso.blogspot.com/2012/03/guitarsenal-number-one-gibson-les-paul.html

So any ideas why he would do this? I remember I tried doing this once on one of my guitars, but I don't remember hearing a difference. But I don't have a great ear for "tone" anyway.

Edit:

Lester Shy posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation for a set of Tele pickups under $100? After almost a year of on and off tinkering, I've finally got my DIY Tele in great playing condition, but the no-name Chinese ceramics still sound terrible. The main problems is that the neck is super dark and muddy, while the bridge is an icepick. Volume and tone need to be cranked all the way to get anything usable from the neck, and I have to roll it off to work with the bridge, so I mainly stick in the middle position. It just doesn't sound like a Tele's supposed to IMO.

I really love Greg Koch's Fluence set, but LMAO at putting $350 pickups in a $60 guitar. I'm sure literally anything from Guitar Fetish or a Tex Mex set would sound better than what I have now, but are there any budget pickups in particular I should check out? I'll try to record a sample tomorrow to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

I do not know anything about GFS's Tele sets as I do not own a tele, but I really like their Neovins in my Strat. They are a rail style pickup that has shielding on the top in the shape of pole pieces, so it looks just like a real Strat pickup. To me they are fantastic. I don't know what it is, but they seem to just accentuate all the frequencies my ears enjoy. They are not overly highs or mid focus, and sound very stratty to me. The 2 and 4 positions still have some great quack (although if I am 100% honest, the neck/mid is not a fantastic quack, but still very good). I don't tend to like most Strat bridge pickups, but I like the sound of this one when clean very clean. One minor complaint I have is that I bought the Overwound set, which I think has DC resistances of 9k, 7k, and 9k, and so the pickups tend to push amps very hard and break up quickly. Also, from what I have read and my own experience, they need to be very close to the strings to get the most out of them.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 8, 2018

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I haven't pulled the pickguard but I think I heard CV teles are routed for neck bucker.

Assuming this listing is accurate... It looks like it!

https://reverb.com/item/6726935-2017-fender-squier-classic-vibe-60s-custom-tele-body-guitar-3-color-sunburst

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Do we still make fun of ridiculous craig's list ads here? Wanted to check out what P90 guitars my area has to offer. I thought I saw what I thought looked like a Slick guitar in the thumbnail and wanted a closer look.

Someone is selling a "custom" double-cut guitar for $600.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/d/van-nuys-custom-doublecut-electric/6813525287.html

What they don't tell you is that it is custom in the sense that they took at $229 guitar:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-SL60-Aged-Brown-Woodgrain-Dual-P90-Pickup-_p_13648.html

Then sanded off the headstock logo and added large (tone) rivets to the body. They kind of look like they might even be plastic glue on rivets. Which as we all know adds $371 in value. It is possible it had a nice setup, fret leveling/crowning/polishing, fret ends smoothed off, working of the neck to make it feel nice and smooth, upgraded electronics. But this is not stated anywhere in the ad and most likely was not done. Every single spec looks exactly the same as on the GF page, so its not like this guy doesn't know what he has.

I know craig's list and scamming go hand-in-hand, but...this one bothered me a lot more than it should I guess.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar to celebrate a big promotion at work, but it's been at least 10 years since I've bought one, and probably half that since I seriously looked at what's out there, so I really have no idea where to start these days. What should I be checking out (brands, models, whatever) if I'm mostly interested in playing stoner rock/metal, hard rock, thrash, blues rock kind of stuff? I'm thinking $800-1200 USD range, but that's kind of flexible. I don't have a strong feeling on pickups, bridge style, trem, or anything like that at this point, I really just want a starting point to begin looking.

Right now the two guitars I have are an Ibanez S series with a fast neck, and a cheapo Epiphone LP that I put some DiMarzios in. It's an absolute brick and a bit of a pain to play, but it actually sounds pretty beefy. If I could find something that sort of hits the best of both worlds (nice slick neck and a lot of body to the tone) I'd probably love it, but I'm up for trying out a lot of options.

My fake suggestion is the new Epiphone DC Pro, because I love me some double cut LP goodness. And would probably buy one myself, but already have an Agile and Hamer double cut LP style guitar.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/DC-PRO.aspx

My real suggestion is to go to a local music shop and play/mess around with every single guitar you see that makes you say "gently caress yeah!" no matter the price range. Then pick your favorite 2 or 3 and play a bunch of those style guitars in your price range from a few different brands. Then pick the one that makes your hands and ears say "gently caress yeah!"

Can't go wrong. Until 2 or 3 months later when you are ready for another guitar... but then you can make the same post again, and we can help you out. Promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

Another 'what guitar should I get question': Tax return season is coming up soon and I'm thinking about getting a new guitar. I've been wanting to learn some non-metal stuff, particularly neo soul (think Tom Misch, Beau Diakowicz, etc.) and am interested in getting something with single coils. Right now all my instruments are metal guitars/super strats with the exception of an Agile Les Paul, but it's way too heavy and I want something lighter. Currently torn between getting a Tele and a Strat. Most days I'm wanting the Tele, but I don't have any instruments with a whammy bar and the strat ends up being super tempting mainly for that reason. Ideas?

Everyone loves the Squier Classic Vibe series. Both the Strat and Tele are considered pretty fantastic guitars, though I think the tele is considered of better comparative quality. Think they are new at about $400 and used in the $200 to $300 range. I own the Strat and my only complaint is the body feels kinda light and thin compared to my MIM. However, the pickups are Alnico, so have a more classic sound compared to the MIM ceramics, which I think still sound fantastic. They just round off the highs a little bit.

I love strats and it was the guitar I had to have when I first started playing. But Telecaster has always felt like something that my guitar collection is sorely missing. They have this reputation as being something that can play just about any type of music, and it is a timeless classic. Though that describes the Strat too I suppose. So I guess get whichever you can find a decent deal on locally and let fate decide?

Or...?

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is so easy. Don’t overcomplicate it. Get a Both!