Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
What's the name of the french dish where they take a small bird, poke out it's eyes and feed it constantly and then drown it in scotch? You're supposed to eat it with a cloth over your face to hide the sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
What's it called when an author, typically an amateurish one, writes themselves into their story as a protagonist? Some kind of woman's name... I think.

I was thinking of Mary Sue.

King Carnivore fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 17, 2011

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Yeah, that's it exactly but I remembered it almost right after I hit submit reply and forgot to refresh before my edit.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm gonna be on a long haul flight in a few days' time. I'm travelling with my partner - are there any useful planesleeping techniques unlocked by being able to snuggle up to the person next to you?

If you can lift the armrest and you have a window seat, the window seat partner can lean against the wall and the other can lean on the first. I find this decently comfortable.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Baron Porkface posted:

Was Michael Jackson bigger than the Beatles?

No. The Beatles sold 1.6-2 billion albums. Jackson sold 750 million.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Hyperlynx posted:

I've heard of hunters in the olden times dying of malnutrition due to eating nothing but rabbit. But that might also be bullshit, I'm having a hard time finding a credible reference, only preppers and "meat only" diet advocates (did you know that subculture existed? I didn't!) and various other wackos of that stripe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Hyperlynx posted:

Yes, I found it too, and it has a big ole warning at the top saying "these sources are poo poo, someone please add one from an actual respected medical authority"

E: wow, username post combo!

Not rigorous scientific analysis, but there’s been a few contestants on Alone who have killed large animals and suffered apparent protein poisoning, losing weight despite eating plenty of meat.

Even crazier, animals, in particular a wolverine, have raided these contestant’s meat stores and exclusively went straight for the fat, leaving pounds and pounds of lean meat completely untouched. Even wolverines are aware of the phenomenon.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Yes, the classic Commemorative JFK Assassination Cannon Firing. Most yacht clubs do this. Big Lee Harvey Oswald Fans.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
OP you should sue Jeffery because many users state that they do not like or want you posting, it could be a class action with that other guy.

E:

Killingyouguy! posted:

Old films about cooking seem to feature stoves where one of the burners, or a space in between the burners, is recessed into the stove and seems to be only for tasks that require boiling.

This thing’s called a Deep Well Cooker.

King Carnivore fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 26, 2022

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm sure there used to be a thread for asking questions about SA's history, but I can't find it. Is there one, or should I post here? There was some drama from about 5 years ago and it's been on my mind a lot recently, I would like to know the outcome.

If you’re looking more for a specific meme, ARG or photoshop thread, or something like that from back in the day instead of drama/sagas there’s also this.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Also bear in mind that the earliest cars were very much horseless carriages and had open cabins with no windshields.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

credburn posted:

Gosh this is a stupid/small question but how do you find events on Facebook by date? I can see suggested events, and sort by "top," "local," "this week," "friends," and some other stuff but specifically I just want to find events within like a 50 mile radius on a specific date. I swear I used to do this all the time but I can't seem to locate it.

You’re not crazy or misremembering. You used to be able to search Facebook events by date. They got rid of it and you simply can’t any more.

You can look at events happening today/tomorrow/this week/next week if you go to events on the mobile website. The only explanation I have for this is that Zuckerberg is a dumbass and doesn’t understand how humans look for events to go to.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
People are just interested in the heights of famous personages. If you Google FIRST NAME LAST NAME of a famous person, “FIRST NAME LAST NAME height” is often among the top search suggestions, so it makes sense to have that info in the sidebar.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Just bear in mind that while those lockboxes (especially the ones from Walmart) are fine for fire, they aren’t really all that secure. Here’s one being opened with a circular saw. Here’s one opened with a coat hanger.

You’re gonna wanna get one that can be bolted to the floor, so that if you do fall victim to burglary the thief cant just take it and run.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
I have a fuckton of passwords for work, like 30-40 and like half of them change constantly. I keep all of them in a locked iCloud note on my iPhone. When I need a password I open my phone with my face or my passcode and then I open the document which again requires either my face or a different password from the code used to unlock the phone. When a password changes, I immediately open the document and update the line with that password.

This works great for my purposes and seems pretty secure to me, but please tell me why this is wrong and stupid.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
The problem with that is that you’re likely remembering a previous iteration and most accounts prevent you from recycling old passwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
In my city, the tax assessor’s website is the easiest place to check, but it can take weeks for the site to update with a sale.