Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SEX BURRITO posted:

He’s a very panel show comedian. He’s good at being quite snappy and cynical. But drat he’s terrible at stand up. I have no idea how he got a break.

I think this is the big thing to take note of when trying to watch someone do standup. There's been a clear rise in the 'panel comedian' over the last decade. The Jimmy Carr's, Phil Jupitus's, David Mitchell's and Frankie Boyle's. They're all brilliant and funny on a heavily edited panel show that's got some pre-written snappy banter, but stick em on stage for an hour and they're poo poo because none of them know how to write a decent one hour long show.

That's the biggest difference when i've gone to see folk i'd consider to be good standups, they've all got this tightly choreographed hour long 'funny story' that they trick you into thinking isn't scripted at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Does Go 8 Bit get better after the first series?

The cycle of non gaming celebrities is quite horrible to watch. I don't really give a gently caress about people playing temple run :rolleyes:

On top of that, while i appreciate it might be due to licencing, the constant stream of old games like asteroids just isn't entertaining to watch.

Edit: the Not-Violet-Berlin woman is kinda annoying too :/

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 12, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

There was another puppet show from back then that i've always had trouble remembering.

The bits i recall were that it was a family of puppets and they were running/looking after a hotel that might or might not have been horror themed (it might have just been not a very nice hotel to stay in). I also think this might have been a spin off from another show that originallly starred the puppets, but the main one was maybe the 'dad' of the family and was a but Chuckyesque/mean.

Anyone else remember this?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Captain Mediocre posted:

How do they manage to consistently find the same group of horrifyingly deluded, narcissistic, psychopaths every year. You'd think a few normos would slip in now and then.

After starting to work more with in-house teams of large named brands down in London I think its just the culture down there.

Almost everyone in those corporate environments seems to be a self serving poo poo avoiding the accountability roulette until the business is driven into the ground from gross negligence.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So there's really nothing even half decent on?

We're starting to run out of new stuff from the top lists of Christmas films and TV.

It's either gone have to be repeats soon or we just don't watch anything Christmassy at all.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The thing that's always bugged me about a lot of Christmas Carol films is that the turn from nasty fuckface to generous saint comes way to suddenly.

Like, in a lot of versions Scrooge in an unrepenting rear end in a top hat until he's told he's going to die (alone) and then he's like "welp, time to repent". He's old, and an rear end in a top hat, i'm not sure why dying would be a) a surprise to him or b) a reason to start giving a poo poo about others.

I've never read the book but is it a lot more subtle and fleshed out throughout the story?

I guess i'm just not sure how the super grim dark BBC version can pull off the turn without it seeming weird or schizophrenic.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

drat, I completely forgot about the shadow line and how great that title sequence was. Can't remember anything at all about the show itself, but the titles give me chills.

And as usual, if it's good in the last 10 years, you can't attribute it to the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmInliE7dE

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

A man who looks like a prematurely aged TinTin after watching his dog drown.

One of the greatest lines of all time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm thinking people like Val Kilmer. Who're good but hard to work with so they're not doing as well as they would do otherwise, you know?
A certain variety of lovely, the "not the right kind of people" lovely.

I'm saying the lovely that makes you a pain to work with, not the lovely that makes you a horrible person.

Does anyone else feel the age of the "star" has faded a bit. It seems like 'the franchise' or director has overtaken as the most important thing for viewers.

I mean, i can't think of the last film i was super hyped to see just because Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp or "name" was in it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The thing that bugs me about BSG on BBC2 is that i'm sure it's doing that typical US show sightly sped up on UK TV thing. As a result everyone sounds slightly higher pitch than they should.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Akuma posted:

This thread should probably be renamed as the Taskmaster thread at this point :D Seems like there's not a lot else going on with UK TV that's captured this threads imagination over the past few months.

Months? I struggle to think of anything decent that's come out of the UK TV wise for years.

It's either [cop drama], [pleb/"celebrity" being judged by famous person], [period drama] or [panel comedy show].

Hell, even the last one has seemingly dried up in terms of originality. Like, what was the last new panel show?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, i think i've twigged for how to make Christmas TV more bearable.

At first i thought it was about christmas films, but i burned through those pretty quickly and there's only about 20 really good ones. Then i thought i'd try christmas TV specials of shows, like the typical christmas episodes you get on all american TV shows.

There's more of them but in the end they get kinda stale.

The answer? It's not an overabundance of christma themed shows, no, it's nostalgia!

So now i've got a backlog of films like The Goonies, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Groundhog Day, Toy Story, Uncle Buck and more.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

wooger posted:

Things with John Candy / Bill Murray / Rick Moranis then. Maybe add in Steve Martin & Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor & pre-fatsuit Eddie Murphy.

I’m amazed you can think of 20 good Christmas movies, I’d struggle with 3. If you include Die Hard.

Yeah, i basically went for the feel good family classics. Home alone kinda fits in that space and i just branched out from there.

There are actually a bunch of good christmas films. Even things like The Santa Clause are quite enjoyable. The problem is that i found out we were getting too hung up on the films/TV all needing a Christmas theme.

Thinking back to when christmas TV was "good", there were some christmas themed things but a lot of it felt good because there were just good films and stuff on TV in general.

Now it's mainly cookery shows, or christmas/celebrity versions of poo poo like the chase. Filmwise it's a bit tricky to say as i don't really come across many on Freeview, but i think they slant towards the animated pixar variety these days.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is there a way to get smart tvs to access freeview via Internet connection instead of aerial?

The signal here is kinda spotty to the point BBC channels can cut out and we're missing some of the channel 4 stations like 4 seven and 4hd+1

We've got 5G so bandwidth won't be an issue.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Why is The Chase and Pointless on TV so loving much at dinner time?

Flicking through the channels to try and find something easy going to watch and there's bugger all on except those.

Like give me some wheel of fortune or anything else. Its loving madness.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

Contractually yes, but the losers are allowed to at least ask the winners of them to give them back.

In series 1 Frank Skinner did actually withdraw £19,000 from Josh Widdecome's bank account.

He gave it straight back, though.

Romesh lost his car in the same series and refused to take it back.

To be honest I think the series went a bit downhill when the prizes were neutered to best wobbly thing.

Each task had the feel of real effort when the alleged stakes were much higher for each comedian.

Nothing makes a competition funnier than desperation and hubris in contestants.

Has there ever been light shed on why the item task was made so much more impersonal?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

eleven extra elephants posted:

Huh, I never knew TPT died, don't know how I missed that one.

Dlist celebrity replaced by another vacant face on the conveyor belt of vaguely recognisable churn used to pad out these types of light entertainment shows.

You could probably hang a wet cloth off a broom stick instead of using them and the audience would still watch the shows.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

I also missed that she died, and am searching through the participants of Celebrity Masterchef to try and identify the person I thought was her.

You'd have a better chance of identifying a fart in a blue cheese factory.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

Welp, Holby have just killed off half the hospital staff, lol

Edit - Oh no wait, the BBC posted a trailer for next week up and somehow everyone is still alive

I'm never gonna watch it. What happened explosion, mad gunman?

If the BBC wasn't a tory propaganda machine, I'd have loved to see them have the stones to end it with the hospital shutting down due to excessive budget cuts and/or a mass exodus of staff due to low, untenable pay.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've got a kid due in December so have all of this new kids TV to look forward to.

How different is it from 40 years ago. Back then I think I watched poo poo like sesame Street, postman Pat and a few other things like pigeon Street or something before moving onto stuff like looney tunes, flintstones, Tom and Jerry, etc and Disney.

I'm guessing it's a lot more developmental and educational stuff now?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

God I hope not, that was poo poo.

Yeah I might be misremembering but I'm sure the old Games Master had an underlying tone of being mean or harsh.

That 8 bit thing was just people politely playing games badly against eachother.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Do we know how many episodes of Games Master there's gonna be?

Back when it was last on the volume of games coming out was a lot slower than it is these days. There are probably enough games coming out these days for the show to just be on constantly like the shows there are for other mediums.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's actually no representation for games on TV is there? Mind you, I can't remember the last dedicated show I saw for films or music on TV either.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

njsykora posted:

I think they filmed 3, it was all done in a single day and they didn’t put out a call for an audience until a few days before.

Well that's a bit disappointing.

Is this another channel 4 "revival attempt" like that TFI Friday thing a couple of years back then?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Paladinus posted:

It's tough competition, but I feel there's a big enough audience of people like me, who are maybe just too old for twitch with all its memes and v-tubers, but still have some interest in video games-related entertainment. Even on Twitch the main appeal is not gaming itself but the streamer's personality and ~community interactions~, so popular gaming streamers almost always branch out to non-gaming streams. With the right hosts and the right contestants, I don't see why a video games TV show can't succeed.

Yeah, I've never really gotten into twitch streaming or any of that poo poo. I'll happily watch folk playing a game I've never seen before in a semi-competitive environment, but the idea of watching a single personality playing loads of games never appealed to me.

Shows like Gamesmaster served as a good preview of new games for me, whereas I don't think twitch would do that.

I think that's where the new show might fall flat for me though. I'm old enough with enough disposable income and the internet at my fingertips that I'm more aware of the big games that are coming out than I was when I was a kid. There are going to be fewer "oh wow, that looks cool" moments because I'll have likely seen a lot of it online or in ads.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Don't get me wrong if it was a show that had a mix of:

Plebs like you and me playing and beating a celeb at a game (all the more satisfying if a celeb absolutely crushes some 11 year old)
Interviews with "famous" people from the industry talking about how certain behind the scenes stuff like how games are made
Reviews of games coming out this week
A chance to text in and win some kind of prize
A retro section covering some nostalgic poo poo of the week.

I'd probably tune in each week.

That might be the hook if it gets the balance right. Sure there might be load of stuff online, but there's loads of stuff online. My steam store page is a clusterfuck of garbage noise half the time and it's usually the SA forums or the PlayStation store that I get a heads up that something specific's coming out

Having a well-hosted show that presents weekly, curated, bite-sized pieces of the above would be right up my street.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think that's why I liked it so much, because you're right - I could do those things, and I often do... but there's nothing quite like GM and them not taking the bait to go more serious or indepth is the selling point for me. It's all loose, good fun. It might've been better in a 30 minute slot perhaps, but eh.

Personally I hate watching other people play games so it's weird I like it, I'm more interested in the mechanics and watching a crazy dutch guy not press A than someone just playing a regular video game.

I'm only about halfway through it but it's ok so far, but it's missing something I can't quite put my finger on.

It feels like I'm a bit too old for it as if it's trying to target the 20 something market rather than the late 30s market who would gobble this kind of content right up.

I'm not really interested in some 20 something streamer/media/pro-gamer/QA games tester/smug youth taking themselves too seriously (even if it is just to ham it up). I wanna see other tired middle-aged folk fumble about trying to beat each other in overly complicated new games or embarrass younger smug gamers on TV.

That being said, I just got the Big Boy barry bit and that was exactly what I was looking for. The bit after that talking about adaptive music is pretty interesting too.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 27, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The Traitors is hilarious the way the group had a full on meltdown after 48 hours. Yes it is just Mafia/Werewolf but it is entertaining trash.

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so of the first episode (enough to find everyone on it annoying) but smugly told my wife those first 2 that got kicked out would be back.

As they were exploring the house there was a room with portraits of all the contestants and I was pretty sure I didn't see one for either of the two guys kicked out. Seemed like an odd thing to have done already if it wasn't pre planned.

Might have just been a cheap production mistake (or I missed them on the wall) but my wife just told me they're back so my smugness feels vindicated.

I'm guessing the whole show is as dumb as Claudia Winkleman trying to sound mean?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Starbucks posted:

Are we about to see the deterioration of Mulhern to Edmunds or Barrymore status? He could at least bring back House Party before he does.

Oh and Top Gear is pretty much cancelled.

It might just be nostalgia or me being a kid, but I thought Noels House Party was brilliant.

It was the same stuff every week but there was felt so varied. It was the same thing with the generation game.

You'd switch on TV on a Saturday night and just have about 20 different things happening across the shows for it to keep things interesting.

I've not tuned in for years now, but (on the standard channels) it's mainly reality shows and singing/dancing contests now right?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

crispix posted:

Blobby blobby, blobby blobby-blobby :holy:

I think that was pretty much peak 90s Saturday TV.

Mr Blobby just bursting into the set and being an absolute chaotic dick still makes me laugh when I think about it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Have folk twigged yet that one of the reasons they like Gladiators back on the telly is because it's some genuine competition between contestants rather than a bunch of wanky judges giving us their opinions on what they're seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So I'm introducing my 2 year old to classic (basically my childhood) kids shows via YouTube.

He definitely seems to like the stop motion actual practical stuff more than the animated shows you get these days.

Anyway, we're watching Thomas the Tank engine and I never realised just how much of an utter dick Thomas was.

We just watched an episode where he was banging on about how blue was the best loving colour and he started getting bent out of shape when the green and brown trains politely went "I think we're alright too, mate".

Then, there was an accident where the green train fell off the tracks (due to shoddy guardrails, so totally not his fault) that led to Thomas getting covered in coal and getting pissed cos he was dirty.

The next scene has Thomas (now cleaned) sitting at a station, the green train pulls up, knackered from working and then tries to get a drink of water.

But it can't stop, as if someone's cut his brakes (no explanation is given for his inability to stop) and it ends up driving completely off the tracks and crashing through another dodgy guard rail.

Thomas then just drives off with a poo poo eating grin, laughing about how chuffed he was to see all that, while the green train is stuck, paralysed off the rails.

The end of the episode is then just the two of them in their shed having a chuckle about how maybe all the colours are OK.

It's the expressions too, everything's so hyper expressed cos it's a kids show that Thomas looks as pissed as a gammon thinking the migrants are coming for his pension.