Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The mighty and fearsome Coyote, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Walker posted:

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to art related things. It still boggles my mind a bit that paint would increase the filesize when I decreased the actual size of the picture.

So am I the only one that feels like Annie may be at least trying to do the smart thing here? I feel like reminding coyote that she isn't at his beck and call may be a very good idea for somebody who is supposed to stay neutral.

Also, thank you :allears:

This is actually a pretty impressive accomplishment for Annie as a medium. While she's not the dead-eyed paragon of neutrality that Jones is, her experience with Coyote let her see right through his tactics. She wasn't amused or cowed by his demand to drop all her responsibilities for one of his whims, and now she's forcing him to negotiate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If humans and their belief really is responsible for Coyote (and, maybe by extension, all "etheric" creatures), then it would dovetail nicely with the Court being an attempt by man to "become God." Maybe it's a way to harness and redirect that power of belief, so that the "magical" part of the world dies out and leaves only man and their new, limitless powers of creation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, I'd been waiting for something like this. Historically speaking, trickster gods tend to have a pretty warped sense of humor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

What if Coyote did something like this to Diego?

That one's not too likely. Coyote's pretty comfortable sticking around in Gillitie. Diego's an example of the villainy that originated purely from the Court.

Coyote's a bastard and pretty solidly in "antagonist" territory after this latest stunt, but it would be pretty weak for him to be the sole cause of so much of the story's drama.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Coyote doesn't want Ysengrin to realize that he's capable of such aggressive acts. Why not, apart from remaining slavishly devoted to Coyote and the forest? Why do it this way? Ysengrin will think that Annie is the one who turned on him.

The real new question raised by this is: which of Renard's memories has Coyote taken? A close reading of those early chapters might be called for. Would somebody not currently posting from a phone be willing to oblige?

I don't think that Coyote took any of Renard's memories, but that he did quietly orchestrate the events that would lead to Renard being trapped in the Court. The most suspicious thing about Coyote is that he's an interloper. No matter what he claims, he doesn't belong in Gillitie. But then he just sashayed into those woods and not long after one of its original "leaders" was disposed of and the other made a crippled, insane wreck under his thumb. He's consolidating power for some reason, but he's so unpredictable that it's currently impossible to know what that reason is.

Fangz posted:

Well, I mean, what if Diego's 'they killed her and we did nothing' isn't denial like we had assumed, but that he literally did not remember what happened. One day, Jeanne just disappeared and no one would talk about it.

We saw Diego's entire history on a projector screen. He hated the woods with a passion and wouldn't have gone anywhere near it after strengthening the seal. What this chapter confirms is that there are terrible people (speaking figuratively in Coyote's case) on both sides of the river, not that Coyote's been gulping down the memories of every villainous character in sight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Murderion posted:

Given that she threw her blinker stone at Ysengrin, is it possible that Annie's watching all this? Or will she find out when she talks to Jones anyway?

Jones has no idea any of this is happening, which is probably one of the more unsettling parts of the whole deal. She just thinks Ysengrin's losing his mind, not that his mind's literally being taken from him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The one comforting thing I can take from this is that an awful lot of Coyote stories end with Coyote being undone and humiliated by his own arrogance. Because oh boy would I like to see that smile wiped off his face right now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If that happens. All I've learned so far is "Jones has lived a very very long time and isn't actually called Jones."

We've also learned that she's either really lonely or fundamentally dependent on others, since at least three of her lifetimes have been spent clinging to other people almost since their birth.

The chapter's a lot smoother if you read it all at once, rather than serially.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So during the last chapter, when Coyote was badgering (or coyot-ing, whatever) Annie for stories, I got to thinking what she might have told if she'd decided to make one up entirely. That thought eventually turned into this thing I submitted to one of CC's contests. It's still sloppy and mostly unedited but it won second place so I guess someone liked it, and on one level it's basically GC fanfiction, so I thought I'd direct attention to it if anyone was interested.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks, Tea.

I also had the privilege of Coyote chasing me through my dreams due to wondering about the contest results, so, uh, that happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fecha posted:

There's definitely something still missing in the Jones story. Rereading the archives, I noted when she touched Shadow on the head and then proceeded to give him candy and hide him for Annie. She's got to have some kind of personal interest, even if it's emotionless. I'm curious as to what it is.

Like she said outright, he's unique. Jones probably has a special affinity for something new after the last two-and-a-bit billion years.

Mido posted:

If only there was an ethereal sword that can literally cut through anything. Then Jones might have a problem.

Coyote said the sword could cut the very earth.

Uh ohhhhh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PubicMice posted:

Things Jones is not:
-A robot
-Alive
-Dracula

"What is a man? A bipedal relative of the primate family known primarily for its intelligence. But enough talk. The tea is ready."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

He's joking about how Jones' distant musings sound poetic despite the emotional disconnect.

That and two of her lines actually rhyme.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bell_ posted:

The avatar faerie is pretty thorough!

Are... are those jazz hands?

It's an Adventure Time reference, I think.

Also did some lurker hit the lottery or something, good Lord

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Angels are terrifying to look upon "in the lore."

Yeah, in classical mythology, someone who looked at a cherubim (those tiny fat winged babies you see today) would literally burst into flame from the terrible radiance of their faces. Old-school angels don't gently caress around.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horns.aiff just played loudly enough to shake the ceiling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brightman posted:

One of the pages next week had better be Coyote and Smitty shaking hands and both saying, "Alright, mate."

I get the feeling Coyote's going to be either unamused or conniving at this announcement. He's been getting off on playing head games with Annie, and if she's not in the position of Medium, that's going to inconvenience him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I sort of figured this would happen because, Court politics or not, Annie's record with mediating has been kind of poo poo over the past year or so. She's moody, often selfish, at once enamored with and mildly disrespectful of the forest, and tried to light Jimmy Jims on fire that one time. She's still got a lot of maturing to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was still some kind of ulterior motive to denying her the position, though. Coyote's reaction will probably make or break that theory.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

I used poor wording, everyone is connected to the ether.

Except for Jones, evidently, since she's unable to even use a Blinker Stone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

I doubt he intended that to be taken well. Unless he was going to add "...then we may consider reinstating your visitation rights." Which itself would be pretty unsubtle and just plain look bad. And he knows full well that relinquishing Renard would set him free at any rate, so that was most likely calculated to provoke a specific reaction.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he is intentionally creating sympathy for Annie. gently caress, maybe he even wants her to deal with Jeanne or uncover some other Court secret for his own reasons (which may or may not be benevolent).

He's not. This is a snub, and a scheme, and it's become gradually more obvious over the last half-dozen strips.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Coyote is going to embarrass those two about their clandestine make-outs until the stars themselves die.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Interesting thought -- it's not what I got from the panel at all. To me Parley looks amused and trying hard not to laugh.

She's wondering how much trouble she'd get in if she grabbed Smitty and started making out with him right in the middle of the meeting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dogdoo 8 posted:

You think she's Coyote because she wears boots?

I guess he thinks that they resemble those brown semi-pillars that Coyote has for feet. I don't think the resemblance is all that significant, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

Heh, I do wonder how far Tom needs to go before you guys finally conclude that someone in this comic is evil, evil, evil.

The comic could display Hetty murdering Adam's sister with a hatchet with Tom's patented Get A Clue text boxes saying "this is not a hallucination, dream sequence, drug fantasy, or political allegory" wallpapering every available inch of blank space and there are still people who would rub their chins and go "hmm, but what's really happening?"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 15, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

I can just imagine Rey defusing the whole thing in the most anticlimactic way.

R: Hello, are you Adam?
A: Yeah, what do you want?
R: This is who's been making your life hell, release her from her bonds and you'll be k
A: 'K

It's probably safe to assume that Hetty best ought to stay in her doll body. And possibly also in a nailed-down crate at the bottom of a very deep well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bathroomrage posted:

I just want to remind people of this page. Hetty belonged to Adam's sister, but apparently he sealed her in that body without knowing.

Something weird is up.

She didn't mean it like that. The latest page shows that Hetty's still trapped in the doll body just because Adam's sister willed Hetty to him. So Hetty offed Adam's sister, but didn't know that she was now in Adam's possession, and therefore still couldn't break out of the doll body.

Hetty blames Adam for "cursing" her when he doesn't even know she exists. Hetty is an evil lunatic, full stop, no ambiguity, no room for interpretation, the big guy is Eglamore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's also worth noting that Renard has had comparatively few closeups showing a face that is literally cracked and crazed, his gleaming eyes full of mad hate. He also never recommended murder as a solution in the same tone with which one would propose having an extra slice of bacon with breakfast.

At this point I look forward to the next strip just to see the "fakeout!" crowd get even more desperate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
We haven't actually seen if Hetty can shift out of her doll form, mind. For all we know this cracking and splintering is just her other form pushing through, like how Renard can selectively manifest his lockpicks or turn into a wolf-hunk for inadvisable reasons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cafel posted:

You know as unrealistic as the concept of Batman and Arkham Asylum are, that doesn't automatically make the flipside of summarily executing the mentally ill the most real-world solution. And it might be that those people noting how quickly Reynard choose the fire based solution aren't upset that Hetty isn't going to murder an innocent child, but just remarking on how quickly Reynard skipped over the middle ground of calling the police. For me, and I assume for most others, it was more a commentary on Reynard's character and less a positive judgment of Hetty's actions.

She's not "mentally ill," she's a loving evil spirit. Exorcising evil spirits is a done thing. And fire works pretty well as a method!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cafel posted:

Cool, noting that people have other options then straight up murder (or possibly only painful immolation) in response to criminal activity is apparently the same as saying that murderers should be allowed to run free in the streets. And I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole, but people who are killed by vigilantes are still victims even if they have committed crimes. It's the reason why you can still get into trouble when you murder the man you know murdered your brother. But again this isn't some type of weird deal were I'm attacking or defending a character. That seems to be several other people in this thread.

No, you're just having really stupid opinions and getting called out for them. You are free to continue vocalizing your stupid opinions, but other people will, in turn, continue to call them stupid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Eglamore's dialogue when Renard fails to possess Annie hints that disembodied spirits fizzle out quickly without anything to possess. If the doll goes, Hetty goes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kikas posted:

Well it's a shame we probably won't know more about it now. Unless Coyote is willing to dump some exposition.

You'd probably have to wait eight to ten hours.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brainamp posted:

It was a wasp, not a wisp.

Honestly, most will-o-wisps are just balls of light that try to drown you in swamps.

And some of them happen to be wasp-shaped! Geez, get your head in the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dogbutt posted:

And the award for most insightful, prettiest, cutest comic ever made goes to...

I'm really happy Tom isn't following up with anything sad recently. Maybe everything will stay happy for a long time :unsmith:

Man makes plans, and Coyote laughs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did he immediately try to imprison Annie's fire elemental soul after she launched that rocket for him, nearly killing her or was that something he did before that time he called her?

I think he was trying to extract the elemental, not imprison it, and without killing Annie. I doubt Anthony has a lot of love for the fire elemental bit of Surma's bloodline after it killed his wife and all. He might have tried to do it from space, without Annie's consent or knowledge, but that's because he's Anthony.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yes, absolutely. Comparing your attitude to an identical attitude literally expressed by many people who exist and are alive right now saying the thing is even worse than comparing you to an abstracted idea that has become more of a shorthand for generic evil than any real expression of the horrendous acts they actually perpetrated. I am so shamed for my misdeeds, for I have wronged greatly, how dare I show my face on the internet in this the two-thousand and fourteenth year of our Lord. Lock me up, throw away the key, whip me until my tenderest areas are naught but hamburger.

Holy gently caress not only are you a long-winded idiot, you're one who couldn't get a joke if it walked up and kneecapped you. That is a double whammy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've been keeping up with Gunnerkrigg since the beginning but I really, truly hope something actually happens soon. The last chapter and what we've seen of this one so far have been coma-inducing, except for the jolt of horrified shock at Jack's chin-parasite.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Things are happening though? Maybe your expectations are in the wrong place I dunno. To me, Gunnerkrigg has always been a lot like Harry Potter in that yes there is an overarching plot but we do not, in fact, require Voldemort to be loving poo poo up for things to be considered to be "happening". The last chapter was ultimately about very little except "drat look at how far these kids have come, they're really growing into their roles". That IS stuff happening. These kinds of stories, characterization is things happening just as much as "Coyote being a nefarious dickhead to Ysengrin" is things happening.

Or that's how I look at it. I hope that was mostly coherent :v:

75% of the last chapter was a dick-toad recounting stuff we already knew. The art wasn't even that impressive! I'm expecting the pace to quicken a bit here if only because Zimmy is involved, but Gunnerkrigg is often derided for its glacial pace and it's only lately that I've started to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YF-23 posted:

What the hell guys, Annie isn't feeling like she is because Anthony is "being a tosser" (he isn't), she's feeling like that because her father is actually back in her life, so suddenly. It's got nothing to do with him acting like a dickbag (he's not) and everything to do with someone very important to her, whose absence was a defining characteristic of who she is, is no longer absent, with no warning.

Either this is an unsourced quote or a hilarious indication that you have no idea of how human beings think or speak or act.