Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred.

You're right, some turn into Batman. Though he's kind of a drama queen too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elysiume posted:

How can you quote that and not quote the post below it that says Smitty and Parley are in the next chapter!? Now I can't wait for what's going to happen. :dance:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Geekner posted:

Nobody thinks shes gay, she's just overreacting. Teenagers do that kind of thing.

Also, would kill to have that canvas. I guess he's selling some of them at his next con? Too bad it's several thousand miles away from here.

There have been a few times where it's been brought up before. Before Paz mentioned it I don't think it's been brought up in a way that wasn't meant to hurt or anger Annie and Kat, which could be why Kat's so reactive to it now. I know Reynard said something about it when he was in his rear end in a top hat phase and Jack taunted Kat with it during the camping trip.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cozz posted:

Oh right, confused his nicer wolf form with his etheral form. But there's probably a simple reason that Rey can't help her with Jeanne.

Reynard can't leave the court, or at least Annie has never given him permission to until after her last encounter with Jeanne. And if the court found out about that, she'd be in some serious hot water.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So taking bets on how much longer before someone beats Anthony up for using hosed up hand bone magic to control Annie?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Isn't Zimmy (and presumably she would have told Gamma) the only one that knows that happened?

Also, "to control Annie"? We don't know what his purpose was.

Well when Zimmy went into Annie's mind she told Kat about the bones though granted Kat might've dismissed that all as a dream. Either way it's a mighty interesting coincidence that the moment Annie is about to break down ghostly images that look a lot like those bony spears repress her emotional outburst.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 6, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MikeJF posted:

Kat really didn't seem to remember or believe was more than a faded dream any of Divine after it was done. I doubt anyone besides Zims and Gamma has any idea Anthony was responsible.

I mean someone doesn't necessarily have to figure out that Anthony's using some nasty magic on Annie based on evidence from that chapter. I've been told the foreshadowing future events is a common writing thing.

But hey if Zimmy and Gamma want to kick down the Donlan's door and j'accuse Anthony of being a bone sorcerer right in the middle of dinner I won't protest. Might make some interest plot happen right now.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 6, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
sorry I feel asleep what were we arguing about

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah it would be really interesting and not at all a cliche for all of Annie's friends to team up to beat the badguy.

Oh gently caress you've exposed me... i actually hope that the last scene of the last panel is Annie turning into a car and driving Kat off into the sunset while the court burns

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Itzena posted:

This is after the waltz scene in the flooded rose garden, right?

well yes, that's absolutely mandatory

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
We're avoiding the real question here: in a hobo pit fight who would win: boy Anthony Carver or 1-armed, feeble Anthony Carver?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Please, he's terrible

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Punching a child/one-armed manchild would be p terrible!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ronya posted:

my sense from the retrospectives is that Tom intended for Tony Minute Hate to last only a couple of chapters - by chapter 54, the reader is already intended to perceive that Annie is playing it up for sympathy and self-pity at least a little. Enough for Ysengrin to notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKm5qh9cfQ&t=450s

Interesting how Ysengrin's advice was I guess supposed to be about confronting anger first, and then compartmentalizing it away, according to Tom. I'm not sure that really gets conveyed in the comic. I mean unless we're taking the very literal way Coyote was ripping Ysengrin's negative memories out of his mind and eating them to be a good form of compartmentalizing it. I don't know... I don't think I'd take any advice or interpretation Ysengrin has about emotions or someone's mental state as a good or healthy assessment. At best it always seemed like he had a very toxic way to cope with his own rage, even with the extra Coyote manipulation aside.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Potsticker posted:

"Let her have back the things she used to have and do" is still a very passive thing, that's not the same thing as making a change, specifically not a change in how he behaves, acts, or treats her.

Coyote did also have to show up and knock over some buildings in the Court before Tony conceded and said Annie could return to forest medium duties. There was some external pressure being applied there (from Coyote and the Court to pacify Coyote) for Tony to relax that restriction.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 19, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

Shell became a muppet because she was Loup all along?

Loup is the One Piece of treasure at the end of the Grand Line. Gunnerkrigg Court converts into a page-by-page redraw of One Piece. We finally see a conclusion to this penultimate arc in 30 years.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope we finally get an origin story on where all those track suits came from. Do you think they have to hunt wild Slavs for meat and hides?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
To throw a serious post in here, I was expecting it to go this way but hoping it wouldn't. Like I would be shocked if Tom actually set up a character to be raped in the comics because I still don't see that as something the comic would sink to, but it was obviously setting up to "a naive girl obliviously tempting some guys and it going places if it's not stopped." I really don't care for that kind of setup because like, congrats it's done to death and is deeply uninteresting and kind of creepy. At this point, the only thing I'm wondering about is if she'll get mad at Loup and go "I HAD IT UNDER CONTROL THE WHOLE TIME! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!!!" and storm off, or go "Wow, thanks for that!"

Given she's completely oblivious so far, I'm leaning towards the first thing.

And I don't know... I guess the message here is that there's a lot for the androids to adjust to and they're going to do stupid and reckless things with their bodies without considering the consequences. But there's also a lot of ways to demonstrate that besides Loup having to play the knight protecting a maiden from sexual peril, which is a really dated and kind of offensive thing to play out. Maybe I'm just too smart (I'm not) but honestly I feel like I could infer some of them would do stupid things thoughtlessly without any of this, since the androids seem to mostly be teenagers and that's what teenagers do? I don't see where this plot thread would go that is interesting rather than dry and predictable.

coolusername posted:

What are some good webcomics I should be reading besides sleepless domain and kill six billion demons? Might as well pick up some good ones on the way out of this thread.

Tiger, Tiger and Ten Earth Shattering Blows are both pretty good so far! I'll also throw on Never Satisfied because I've been warming up to it after I feel like it's been handling a similar "emotionally distant and lovely dad" situation a bit better, narratively.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Never Satisfied is a good time, pretty much the entire cast (with some exceptions) are sympathetic but terrible teenagers and adults, making cascading series of bad but understandable decisions.

The exceptions are just absolute trash people and a joy to watch.

I'm game for most of it, the only thing I find a bit weird is how the Asian lady got sexier as she got eviler.

catapede posted:

Tbh, I felt so uneasy about the weird, racial connotations that I didn't see it until I read people's perspectives here.

Edit:
And to add to that, I still hoped it wouldn't go the way it was looking to go.

I don't know if there's a specific "racial" thing going with the elves. They have like Welsh and Irish names, and combined with this recent thing, and them having the accents transliterated when most of the other characters don't (Kat has a mild Scottish accent doesn't she?) and also how the elves apparently have an abundance of kids and generally massive families, it's all a bit of a weird vibe balled together.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tenebrais posted:

There's also Zimmy, Gamma, Parley, and Anja when she was young. Also Red but she's also a forest person originally. Possibly others but a quick skim of the cast page tells me it's woefully out of date

Yeah I've noticed that with the cast page, too, but I that's pretty standard with webcomics. :v:

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'll be honest I don't think Rin is getting eviler, she was already head cop in this particular town.

Now she's just completely unrestrained in pursuing her current agenda, which appears to be trying her best to get other people to take a swing at her.

She was poo poo before, but she's converted into a magical being with her Id completely unshackled and nothing holding back her darkest impulses at this point. It's a bit of an escalation.

catapede posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean the elves being racially coded. I meant her, a white person, pointing out different skin color and them grabbing her hair without permission. It felt weird because the grabbing felt reminiscent of what a lot of POC experience, but she's white. It didn't occur to me that it was boys groping at her in a creepy way until I came here.

I mean, invading a woman's personal space, a weird stranger touching her clothes or hair, can and does happen regardless of race, unfortunately. I know it's a common offensive white person thing to invade a black woman's space specifically to touch her hair, too. They're both rooted in the same lack of respect for the person being invaded as a person and there's going to be a lot of overlap in uncomfortable energy from how these things intersect culturally in our world.

Like I do agree with Joe Slowboat that you could also take racial coding from the elves, too, though I'd say it's an accidental byproduct of stacking a lot of icky things on top of each other. The elves being foreign refugees, surrounding a white girl and the sexual peril setup here, being more earthy and "uneducated" types. There's shades of classism and racism there, whatever you prefer to take away from that.

Patware posted:

the david cage school of racism narratives. 'is there a way i can make the racism about someone... white. bonus points if the person racisming at her is not. then they'll finally see how foolish it all is!'

the clothes pinching is kinda whatever, the hair grabbing is blatant

I'm not sure what white racism you're talking about? Detroit? Because all the really blatant Jim Crow racism and Civil Rights Movement analogy trash in that happens with Marcus, the black robot. Kara's goes really, really heavily down the Holocaust metaphor trash hole. Connor's plot is a pretty conventional buddy-cop mystery setup that I guess could kind of have background racist vibes, but also could stand in for pretty much any bigotry with "first X on the force teams up with anti-X bigot." I'm not defending Cage here, his games are gross and racist on top of a million other ism/cist things, but I'm not clear what game he's specifically doing "white racism" in.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I would really like it if we weren't doing this because it because it's that dang predictable, but I'm on the same boat as Pants Donkey re: "What's the point of this?"

GunnerJ posted:

The books thing is interesting at least as an insight into how "new people" establish who's the most savvy and knowledgeable about having a flesh body.

But on the other hand, if she's that widely read I'm sure she would have come across, in some book or another, the tired trope she found herself in.

I think it's just her. She's doing the "I know what I'm doing! I'm mature!" bit, except her coping excuse is related to being a former robo-libriarain instead of reading lots of dirty fanfics or having a boyfriend with a car. Maybe there is some underlying tension hinted at with the nu-humans (Newmans?) being aware of whatever crappy former roles they had and the potential to form a lovely pecking order around that, but I kind of hope not because I don't feel like this comic has room to explore any new territory there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pants Donkey posted:

Tom works with a buffer right? I’m wrong in thinking today’s comic is a response to the criticism, right?

I mean, the comic from like a decade ago was a boy possessed by some weird spider thing getting threatening with her in a strictly non-sexual manner. Same thing!

I assume his buffer is still weeks/months out like it was years ago? The comment under it might be, but he probably already had it in mind if he made that comic a while ago.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I also really don't like the 'Reynard goes and agrees with Loup-boy that what he did was extremely necessary and useful, and just like Reynard's own masculine behavior in the past as Annie's mentor/buddy' because it continues to play into the exact same tired tropes going into this assault and protection schema. Plus, confirms that the comic is meant to communicate exactly the cliched alleyway assault that we were gritting our teeth over.

I'm sticking it out with the comic at this point more out of curiosity than excitement, which is a shame.

I feel like the past few storylines Reynard's just been treated as the default "voice of reason" and his affirmation is meant to be what the reader agrees with. Like, I'd like to hope not because obviously he's never been a perfectly rational actor and has done ill-advised or bad and impulsive things, but all the recent stuff is left unchallenged in a way that definitely seems like something we're supposed to agree with. I don't know, maybe the other shoe will drop eventually and we'll all look like fools for thinking he's supposed to be right, but I feel like I'm waiting on a lot of offputting things that will never be questioned or challenged at this point in the comics.

I'm still reading it because I'm not actively offended enough by everything to drop the comic, but I am also just kind of curious exactly how it plans to wrap up more than anything right now.

There Bias Two posted:

It feels like Tom is having a bit of an internal meltdown. It shows in the strip's sharp decline in quality, as well as the tone of the commentary in the recent retrospectives.

I don't think you can pull enough about Tom's mental state out of the comics to psychoanalyze him and this is a bit too invasive and weird to me. Are there some blatant cries for help in the comic retrospectives or something that really demand this kind of stuff?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Potsticker posted:

This seems to be the same thing again as what was happening with the reaction to the monologue Annie was giving Jones about her father. It looks bad, but maybe the readers aren't supposed to agree and the other shoe will drop and it just-- never did.

Yeah Annie and her relationship to Tony has bothered me for a long time, but that read like a very resounding "Well.... people are complicated" period on that whole situation. I know I could pull up some others if I thought for a bit, but another one off the top of my head was how when Kat was in her obsessive state about the split Annies. She went and woke up a bunch of the golems even though the first one she'd awoken made it pretty clear they should be left to their "death." And you'd expect that to lead somewhere because even Annie finds that concerning and Kat tries to stop the Annies from finding out, but I guess not?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tiny Myers posted:

Between that and Kat casually befriending Annie's abuser that she used to deeply loathe and talking about how funny and charismatic he is when Annie's not around, no wonder people feel like this comic has lost the great friendship that used to be at its core.

Yeah, they don't interact much now in ways that doesn't involve advancing or wrapping up Plot, but then again that's across the board now.

Donkringel posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised we are having this same story again. We don't need to see another rear end in a top hat rehabilitated, we already have Reynard. I'm going to go out on a leaf and guess Loup doesn't learn jack poo poo. Instead of growing he doubles down. Strap in to watching an angry god blaming women for not understanding him and it's all their fault anyway, because he is a nice god.

I've been getting a feeling for a while that the broad trajectory of the story will involve Reynard eventually inheriting all of Coyote's powers after Loup dies. Reynard's the trickster god Coyote always favored and wanted to pass his power to, but Reynard refused. I kind of suspect Coyote set Reynard up for a long personal trial when Reynard fell in love with Surma and Coyote gave him a power that led to Reynard being imprisoned in the Court for years. Like you've said, Reynard has had time to mature, reflect, and temper his emotions, while Ysengrin was the explosive byproduct of what happened when someone wildly unprepared for Coyote's power gets it. (Which Coyote also primed Ysengrin for through mental abuse and straight up loving with his brain.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

worm girl posted:

We've seen hints of what too much ambition could mean for Kat's future in the cruise ship chapter

I'm not following how the cruise ship was Kat's fault. She was growing an arm for Robot at that point, but the cruise ship itself was trying to force Kat to give it a fleshy body, by holding Paz hostage and hijacking Zimmy's power. The only real ambition on display was from the ship, and the Seraph bots who were facilitating the whole crisis on behalf of Robot to accelerate Kat's biomechanical research.

I mean like, beyond the wider "The robots formed a cult around Kat and are so obsessed with her that their collective consciousness is pushing her into divinity, which is probably feeding back into her unlocking more secrets of transcending their metal shells" that's been building for 15 years now, and all the main characters seem casually aware of it and have not reacted much to it all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Tony being magically cursed (?) to act the way he is would either be lovely because you'd need to avoid using it as an absolution of his lovely parenting and the maladjusted social behaviors he has, and which he has non-magically passed to his daughter. Or it wouldn't matter because magic is just part of this world and part of people, and another thing they learn to navigate around.

Like Annie's right over there with an actual magical issue where if she births a child, she sets a timer on her own life as the child grows up, just like her mom. And while the death of her mother was tragic, the whole matter not any functionally different than a mundane terminal illness beyond the added hosed up guilt Tony has. (And even that isn't that different than a lot of irrational survivor's guilt partners feel irl at the death of a loved one.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
We'll all be ashamed of our words and deeds when Red shows up in the final arc of the comic to point at each of the major cast members in turn, calling them all dunderheads and bimbos, then getting on a motorbike with Ayilu, popping a wheelie, and burning out of the comic forever.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Snake Maze posted:

I think there’s supposed to be a timeskip between the page you linked and the one after it - notice the bubbles showing Jerrek digging/looking at stuff, and the fact that it cuts straight from him agreeing to dig to brooding on a rooftop.

There's definitely meant to be a timeskip. In the prior chapter where Jerrek and Lana are digging and have an established relationship it opens on a waning crescent moon:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2549

When it flashes back to Loup first turning into Jerrek he's standing under what looks like a full moon, but I guess it's not completely in panel so it could be slightly waning?

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2581

In any case it's much fuller than the one on the night they meet the Dover Demon. Loup's been undercover and building his identity for at least a few weeks by the time of the Dover Demon encounter.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

J.A.B.C. posted:

'No actually it all make sense in the plan because it's Loup's 'dead goose' moment and he's totally a teenage god so it's fine that his paternal instincts have become desires for romantic connections with the person he idolized where are you going?'

Like, I expected Loup's fixation on Annie to be shown to be incredibly toxic. It's a byproduct of Coyote treating Ysengrin's brain like silly putty and toying with his memories and thought processes until they all wrap around Annie. It was even demonstrated in the lead-in pages of the chapter where Loup was created:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1938

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1939

Loup's expressed a super unhealthy, possessive, and borderline violent obsession with Annie. So yeah it's a bit weird if all this build up resolves into him turning into a blushing tsundere teenager. Like I really hope the years of abuse and straight up personality-reshaping Coyote was doing don't slide off with a shrug? But that is also how all the issues around Tony's abuse resolved so... man I don't know.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

worm girl posted:

I think people are reading too much into the joke page. It's just a funny callback to this.

I actually have wondered if Lana is going to be revealed as Boxbot. It'd be funny, but I figured before Tom stopped referencing Boxbot because he was sick of people repeating the same joke at him and would prefer people forget about them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LashLightning posted:

Hasn't he mentioned that Boxbot is some sort of manifestation of his own self-loathing/aspects of himself that he doesn't like? I think he mentioned suicidal ideation some years ago, presumably he's handling his depression better now. So we don't see Boxbot anymore.

I don't know, it feels a bit extreme to map Boxbot to suicidal self-loathing and that's why it doesn't show up. Like wouldn't that conversely mean Robox should show up more? They're gag characters first and foremost, and even if Tom isn't tired of them the simpler explanation would be that the comic hasn't had as many jokey asides like that in recent years.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like Elden Ring. I'm glad Annie understand the true souls gamer power of abusing every intentionally and unintentionally messed up thing in the games to win.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pik_d posted:

I haven't played Elden Ring and don't understand the joke :(

To build on Oxxidation's explanation, it's also just kind of a broad "Kat gets wrecked by a Souls-type game. Annie meanwhile gets so intensely hooked on it that she plows through a 70-120+ hour game and knows optimal OP build strats." gag that's amusing because Annie has never shown an interest in directly playing a video game before.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dragon enthusiast posted:

the Lana and jerrick situation is reminding me of when they tapped red and blue to go kill jeanne with them

Tapping the former fairy girls made sense at least. Ayilu being able to trap Jeanne in a dream long enough for Kat to get close to the arrow in the water was a solid plan, and Red would insist on coming along, so whatever. They also had Smitty and Parley there as backup. I find it a bit strange that those two aren't involved in this at all, honestly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Yes, I meant I'm surprised Smitty and Parley aren't around.

Xand_Man posted:

Especially since Jeanne's existence wasn't common knowledge and Loup is the god-monster who attacked and destroyed a significant portion of the court

You'd think they'd be willing to throw more resources at the problem

I guess the point is the Court upper elites have given up on the area and are allocating all resources to evacuating away from all these magic freaks ASAP, and their one kinda flimsy attempt to stop Loup didn't work so... :shrug:

Still, the Court itself seems to cycle between being as informed and everywhere in the background or as inept and strangled by overinflated self-importance as the plot needs them to be any any point in time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was intrigued when Loup finally snapped and smashed through the barrier and sent the forest pouring over the court. That was a great moment to add a time-sensitive crisis to the story, escalate things, and get things rushing to a conclusion. Loup is directly attacking the court right now! People are trapped in his mass! How do you rescue them and save the court? He knows Annie has to kill him and he knows where the instrument of his death is!

Then it immediately de-escalated to the same vague "Something will happen at some point..." waiting game we've been in with Loup since he was created. It's really puzzling.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Art seems fine to me imo.

This is the first time I'm really thinking about this, but like...I wouldn't mind some kind of establishing as to WHY Kat hasn't tried revisiting the norns. Like, oh, Loup just buried a huge chunk of the court in earth, probably killing a bunch of people but even if not him burying all those robots is something we don't like. Might be a good idea to head to the norns and ask if we can drop a message in a bottle back to a few days before Annie and the gang confronts Loup to warn them it'll go bad. Even if it'll only help an alternate timeline, it still seems like something they'd at least try to do, if even only to help some alternate versions of themselves.

I don't think they need to address why the Norns aren't involved. Kat was transported to them as a one-off favor by her mom's Actual Goddess Friend, and they need to complete a closed time loop to avoid idk reality fracturing at some point. I wasn't really a fan of wrapping up the Tick Tocks like it did. Kind of felt like plans for them changed partway through the comic and Tom had to go and backfill in a new reason for them. But as a resolution it didn't leave any dangling questions... the opposite, really.

As for the whole omega device thing... they exist in a reality where humans can believe something hard enough or specifically enough that reality is completely rewritten from start to finish to include it. So like, could the omega device remove random causality from existence? I guess if you meet the right conditions for reality to make it so? It certainly would fit the broad impression that the Court Elites are given, of being so obsessed with how they "can't have nice (magic) things!" that they'd gently caress over everything to come out ahead and look smarter than everyone else. You know, at the cost of free will and self-determination. That'd be an interesting setup for an ultimate antagonist plan, at least.

It all fees a bit off though, because we plain haven't gotten much of substance about the Court at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Synthbuttrange posted:

same. I gave up on this thread ages ago. its just a bunch of people bitching about how much they hate it. And even when we tried to have that conversation in the general webcomics thread about GK somehow yes all the same lovely sniping followed us there. Its pointless to talk about it anywhere on this site now. I'm just enjoying it on my own without anyone to talk about it with.

Does it count as "following" if people read multiple threads and reply to comments in them? Like I'd prefer if this didn't turn into a mockthread because I don't think the comic is bad enough to warrant that. I gave up following the Homestuck thread millennia ago, but I assume it didn't stay positive and constantly buzzed as the Homestuck slid into it's awkward and divisive ending or post-ending nightmare, but also didn't morph into a mock thread or hate thread etc. (Gunnerkrigg isn't on the disappoint/bad level as Homestuck, either, imo but that's the closest equivalent I can think of right now.)

I do think somethings the comments here get a bit weird. Like no, we don't need to speculate or joke on if COVID Brainworms is feeding some decline. We don't need to psychoanalyze an author or infer extreme political commentary based on very uncharitable readings of individual pages. I'm not looking at this thread every day or always feel up to calling out weird poo poo when I see it, but like just speculating on what's happening, being annoyed or disappointed and venting, or trying to look on the bright side but losing optimism seem like normal things to discuss without getting crazy about poo poo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Niavmai posted:

this better not be referring to the back alley rape thing

I don't know what you mean by that. But you're welcome to click the ? under my posts to see that I didn't like the whole setup around Lana almost falling into the sexual peril trope if you need any clarification on my feelings there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Niavmai posted:

alright, i'm curious which uncharitable readings you're referring to then.

I'm not going to pull up specific posts from months or weeks ago to start poo poo over them, but I found a couple around Annie and Jerrick/Loup as a couple being a bit extreme. Not the flippant ones about him being a blushing tsundere, the ones inferring Tom's feelings on relationship dynamics out of the possibility of Annie ending up with a technically-millennia-old godling. Around the elf boys and Lana, it felt a bit much to say Tom was deliberately doing a David Cage-style racist plot beat. I think reading into Tom's mental state from the comic is an unhealthy practice.

I don't know, there's probably some others if I think about it but I'm not keeping a list of every remark I find pushing it a bit far so that they can be reposted and rated at an unstated future date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Niavmai posted:

you're not wrong, but i would like to point out, he does a recap of every chapter and talks about it, and a lot of that comes directly from the words that he's actually said.

I get that, and I don't see an issue with going "I remember he said on his commentary/twitter" etc. I'd accept that and not challenge it. I know that's a delicate balance too, because I wouldn't want people to go digging through all that for "dirt" or similar crap, either.

tired gay and dead posted:

The whole thing about hate threads is that they attract the weirdest losers and encourage the worst possible goon behaviour, like classic early 2010s style stuff. It's just kinda gross.

In a case like this, I want to believe most of it is people who are/were genuine fans processing the fact that the comic isn't hitting them the way it used to. Maybe some is over-correction because it felt like any non-positive comments were hard to make for a while? I'd just like to find a normal middle ground. This comic isn't so heinously bad that it deserves intense vitriol, and if a webcomic is getting you that worked up then it probably would be better to step back and not read it for a while or relax with some good comics, games, books, TV shows, or anything else since we live in an era of endlessly accessible entertainment options.