Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clearly more fourth-wall breaking.

Coyote is getting meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Precisely that. I think she has had enough crushes on males (Eglamore, that boy who became a bird, Jack before he was zimmyied into craziness, Fox Mulder and other TV characters...) not to wonder about herself
It's possible she's attracted to both, so attraction to male characters wouldn't rule anything out.

It'd be easier to tell what's going on if, like Annie, Kat had been teased by some classmates. I don't think, beyond that one Renard comic many years ago, there's been any indication that her peers are teasing her for being "too butch."

It could just be that Paz and Kat share a room, and there is still awkwardness there. We'll have to wait and see.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think I've posted in here maybe one or twice, and still got the best avatar :allears:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Their weird obsession with hating the comic aside, I have noticed being less invested in the story for a while. Everything built up to Loup and his upending of the status quo in the comic, and now it feels like it has been spinning its wheels for some time.

We’ll have to see how Annie Fusion plays out.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Loup just has a really nice 3D printer

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gaslight is a synonym for “lie” now

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cannot wait for the next chapter when we get two Anthonys.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Am I the only one that thinks Long-haired Boy looks similar to the rabbit kid? I thought it may have been him at first just aged up since it has probably been long enough :corsair:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The real world parallels kinda whizzed by me as I just read it as fantasy culture interacting with a literal robot, so it was intended to be strange? Admittedly, I am not spending much time reading these.

What was offputting was Tom going back to this well in the very next storyline, and also that he did additional art of her being exhibitionist on twitter. It’s just feels unsettling

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Niavmai posted:

he even stops it in the 'i'm a cool protagonist' way.
I get the feeling this is to establish that Loup is willing to kill or “go too far” and really is as unstable as we think since, up until now, he hasn’t actually hurt many people.

The problem is “goes too far” is pretty hard to establish with attempted rape since many people would not see murdering or severely injuring a rapist as all that extreme. If this is Tom’s intent, then it would have been better with one elf boy and her just getting flirty and Loup acts like a sociopath in response.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s pretty clearly meant to portray Loup badly. His face is half in shadow, his eyes are bloodshot, you can see his veins under his skin, and his proportions look just a bit off to give him a more monstrous look. He doesn’t look like a person with righteous fury, but someone just barely holding back murderous intent.

The question is…why? What is the point of this scene? We know the robot humans are naïve about the way the world works from last chapter. We know Loup is unstable. We know Loup is prone to violence. We already knew Lana is a flirtatious character. Did we need to know there were tensions between elves and non-human Court peoples? Well, Lana seems to be siding with the elves regarding Loup’s behavior, and there’s better ways to convey such tension beyond three random elf teens.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see, but right now I’m not seeing much to justify this. And I highly doubt that Tom, a man in his 30s or 40s, just didn’t outgrow some angsty teen phase and thinks the way he drew Loup is in any way positive or heroic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Now I'm imagining an alternate timeline where Lana completely knew what she was doing, and was totally cool with it and having fun, but Loup still reacted the same and is instead framed like a weirdo incel who's mad other people are having fun and he's not

Honestly, removing that one question mark might even make it come off this way
You’d have to move it somewhere. Having her cornered in an alley doesn’t make it much better even if it is technically consensual. Just sends grody signals. You can definitely reframe it as her deciding to hook up with some elf dudes and Loup is clearly flipping out over nothing because he’s Loup, but it’d take a bit more work.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tom works with a buffer right? I’m wrong in thinking today’s comic is a response to the criticism, right?

I mean, the comic from like a decade ago was a boy possessed by some weird spider thing getting threatening with her in a strictly non-sexual manner. Same thing!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A larger problem with the comic now is that it’s spinning its wheels after undergoing a huge narrative shift where that…doesn’t really work anymore.

To explain: prior to Loup, the comic was fine either introducing new plot threads or progressing with others. The court’s doings, the forest’s thing, Annie’s personal issues, the robots and Kat, school shenanigans, the faeries like Red, etc etc. This was fine, because there was no impetus to go in a specific direction, we had no single overarching thread, and the individual threads had good developments and sometimes interesting ways in which they interacted with each other, such as when they finally put Jeanne to rest.

Post-Loup that has changed. We have an immediate threat that has displaced everyone at the court AND in the forest. We got a quest from Coyote to get macguffins. Yet this all weirdly feels secondary and incidental? Even when this current chapter is dealing with that more than normal, it’s all faded into the background to have fun with Teenager Loup, which I am not sure if this is supposed to develop Loup or show him as incapable of change or what.

But using hackneyed contrivances like sexual assault and spending multiple pages to assure us it’s perfectly fine. What is the point? To show how out of touch Loup is? How naïve the nu humans are? That Loup is capable of doing good deeds? Are we supposed to be seeing how Loup discovers this human thing called empathy? Weird to cast him in a dark, violent light then!

I dunno, I feel like these detours to show how these characters react to sudden upheaval should be fine, but maybe they are poorly paced or not compelling enough to justify their presence.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I only disliked it because it robbed us of a spectacular 50-page fight scene as the two Annies battle to the death for Tony’s love.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah there's no one character or plot point we can point fingers at, and if it were changed or removed suddenly the comic would be good again. If Tony's relationship with Annie were better fleshed out, we'd still have Loup being a limp villain. If the dual Annies were better resolved, we'd still have the weird love triangle with Lana and Jerrick. Etc etc.
Ehhhh it depends. If Tony’s whole…thing hadn’t just sorta dissolved into nothing, he likely would have been the villain/antagonist as it’d be Tony, the Sad Dad who needs to learn that abuse can happen without intent and work on himself, and Annie, the who has to learn that she’s only putting Dad on a pedestal and seeking his approval because of the damage the neglect caused and has to start being her own person and let Tony sort his own poo poo own rather than extinguish her own personality (:haw:) to please him.

This makes Loup a secondary character, as post-Loupocalypse we’re now focused more on the Annie vs. Tony conflict with the Coyote macguffins serving as a vehicle than…whatever it’s supposed to be now. Loup even serves as a darker parallel to Tony, neglecting the peoples of the forest in order to pursue his own selfish agenda. Gosh sounds familar, doesn’t it? Maybe 2 Annie 2 Furious provide Our Annie perspective, as Nu Annie spent those six months being the emotionally dead Dad-Pleaser and OG Annie can now see how miserable that is making her and be the impetus to see her father for the flawed man he truly is. And maybe the growing difference in the two Annie’s behavior start to spark an awareness in Tony of his abusive nature.

Maybe he learns his personal baggage, tragic it may be, is no excuse to abandon his daughter and then be a cold figure towards her. Maybe he doesn’t and she learns it’s not her responsibility to fix her father. Either way, at this point Loup is far removed from the focal point of the story, and is really just a tool to put our leads in situations to force this conflict towards some kind of ultimate resolution. So the narrative would start to wildly diverge from what we now have into something different.

…maybe something that doesn’t require teenaged robots.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You said that there wasn’t one thing to blame, which I mostly agree with, but my point is that one change like shifting the role of Tony could have the comic go down a different trajectory which would inherently lead to a different story. Tony is kind of a important character, so changes revolving around him could have steered things differently.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, yeah, but it lacks a bit of oomph since he’s been in that body for like two decades now. Oh no, he can’t…do the thing he has done like once in the entire storyline?

Destroying the body carries a bit more weight, but it’s not like he’s been pining for his original body.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Except it looks like Tails and he can’t even

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kat gives Zimmy a brownie, unaware of the latter’s peanut allergy

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

In the next chapter, Loup is meeting his girlfriend’s parents and he has to prepare a dinner to impress them. Hijinks when it turns out her father is none other than Robox!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People screaming in anguish as Loup and his gf share photos of their vacation to Paris.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kat gets invested in the relationship, kills Zimmy because she believed Loup/Joneswas the OTP

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We haven’t had Loup in the comic since November.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This page makes no sense.

If Paz is happy that Annie didn’t insert the chip, there is no visual shorthand since the wound is covered up. And even if Annie didn’t, Kat will find out in two seconds when her thing doesn’t work. This will either cause a huge fuss in which case it would have been better to just refuse to begin with. Or Kat requests Annie dig it out to troubleshoot and inevitably asks for it again. Which might be a stalling tactic and the kind of thing a teenager would do to avoid conflict, but again that isn’t made clear on this page.

If Paz is just happy the surgery went well, then the prior page needed to make it more clear that was her attitude towards this. Otherwise the reader tends to assume she’s upset that her girlfriend requested impromptu amateur surgery with an experimental piece of computer hardware. So when she’s happy next page, and with Annie so it’s not just mask to keep Kat happy, we expect something to be up, and the page doesn’t tell us what.

So we have two pages where we somehow learn less about two characters’ emotional states, which is kinda wild given how talented Tom tends to be a communicating purely through visuals. Mayve Monday’s comic will justify this.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

It could be anything from goofy moment to Kat dead to anything in between, no way of knowing yet!
So you’re saying she’s Schrödinger’s Kat

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Splicer posted:

Best outcome: Psychopomps show up insisting Annie collect Kat because she's obviously dead.
Worst outcome: Sony reps show up because Kat definitely violated the warranty on that speaker.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Chapter 89: Loup Goes to the Fireworks Factory

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Loup becoming a greek chorus and just commenting on the events of the comic alongside his girlfriend would be very funny. Everyone running around trying to stop/flee Loup while he’s entirely removed himself from the story going “idk writing kinda dropping off these days”

Five chapters alone dedicated to the two having a debate about Tony.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Loup losing himself to the Jerrek persona has precedence all the way back when Coyote forgot who he was after becoming a dead goose next to a lake. So this in itself is fine.

What is not great is that we have no tension because our protagonists are trying to stop a neutralized antagonist. So the comic feels like it has been spinning its wheels for months now until one side gets Loup to revert to his original murdergoblin self. Or, what is hopefully more likely, the Court emerges as the true Final Boss so that this farting around had more of a point to soften Loup as an ally.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Loup becomes increasingly popular and parties with his neighbors while Annie’s circle of friends turn on her for the dumbest reasons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So we’re either pivoting to the Court as the main villain as Annie forgives him, or Loup’s return as an active villain if she rejects him. Loup fleeing the subway tram was a dead giveaway, but nobody talking about it was a weird given how many chapters we’ve had since.

It also make Robot’s deal with him off, but the whole robot cult thing has been building for years and maybe it’s to get us to some kind of narrative payoff here. Robot’s deal with Loup accomplished squat since the latter immediately hosed off for a while, so are we to not trust Robot?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lana dying to protect Loup which is what gets him back on the path of villainy seems like the expected route here. Although that is pretty loving stupid because it renders the Lana/Jerrik stuff pointless besides a reason for Loup to stop being a threat for a few chapters so our protagonists can gently caress around. Arguably, it renders the whole Loup-as-Jerrik arc since he didn’t really….do much of anything.

Or maybe we go Lawful Stupid and this is where Loup realizes he needs to die and Annie just kills him within ten pages of the chapter starting. This pivots us awkwardly into the Court as the True Antagonist.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

coolusername posted:

I hope not, I don’t want to feel bad insulting someone’s artistic work to their face. I might hate the direction but that’s different in fan discussions vs directly with the author.
Tom has an account and posted here further back in the comic’s earlier years. I imagine he is too busy to post, or the thread got too much traffic/goony posting to keep up, but there is a chance he still reads it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Look at Jerrek being so sheepish and meek. Classic Loup. That's the Loup we know. Those are certainly traits he's always had. Totally.
While not outright stated, it’s strongly implied that Loup’s personality has been subsumed or at least suppressed by the Jerrek personality. Similar to how Coyote thought he was an actual dead goose for a period of time. Loup even admits being Jerrek mellowed him out.

So, I think this is fine. Kinda depends on what happens next.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does the pacing feel like it’s going back and forth between approaching some sort of climax and setting up new arcs?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Whenever Annie is on the screen, all the other characters should push her away.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Our three memories of Lana: fleeing a train, sitting in an apartment, and having an extremely uncomfortable encounter with equally uncomfortable ethnic analogues.

RIP

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We're all Tom Servo screaming END at our screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

I can't wait for Shadow to say "I broke up with Robot for no reason. I'm leaving the comic permanently. Just needed to make sure you knew that before I left. Bye"
God I’m still mad over the Paz breakup. Not saying it couldn’t be done with better buildup, but it was done so fast that it was clear it’s because he no longer needed/wanted her in the comic.

And even that might have been okay if the comic actually ended or was clearly at the climax and isn’t still limping along aimlessly a whole…god, 10 months later