Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
He's probably getting it mixed up with the time Jack's dad tried to call Annie's mom that and got punched out by that guy who I think was Eglamore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The mask reminds me of Jeanne's ghostface.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How difficult is it to / what's the process to make prints of a canvas painting?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Heliotrope posted:

Just because TV Tropes is dumb about it doesn't mean no one else should use it.

No don't you see, we have a mock thread. Man the crusades against anything even slightly related!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You ask "What's the line on {X}" - someone calls the line, then you call over or under based on the line.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The thing on Angel-Kat's chest reminds me more of the sky watcher bug than a bird, really.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I'm claiming this for myself in a moment. Suggestions for title text or go textless?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I dunno, that last panel looks too goofy for me to believe that Coyote is legitimately angry.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That'd explain the multiple eyes.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ChairMaster posted:

I don't think Coyote would like Kat very much.

I think we're starting to see a new conflict building up here, yeah.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

VictorGrunn posted:

I know it's not going to happen, but Annie's reaction makes me imagine that, off-panel, Eglamore's already there. Right on top of Ysengrin, with a bigass sword plunged right through his body. As if it took five seconds for him to arrive, and a half-second for him to handle the problem.

I expect it's more that she's being awfully calm and sentimental for a girl moments away from being torn apart by a wolf-monster.

Zorak posted:

Maybe she's "Oh, Ysengrin"-ing at the fact he's already been decapitated by A Really Fast Dude With A Big Sword.

Yeah the timing and setup made this the first thing to come to mind for me.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Well, there's always the possibility of Eglamore severely damaging Ysengrin's tree-body but not Ysengrin himself. We'd still get wolf kebab in that case, but not of the meaty variety.

I dunno though. Back when Coyote freaked out and threatened Annie I definitely didn't feel like she was in any danger at all. It just didn't fit with his character and with how that page and the last couple pages had been set up.

But this? Ysengrin has completely lost his marbles and is ready to eviscerate Annie. Something's gotta give here.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So someone PMed me and asked me what my avatar was from and I pointed him towards this thread/comic. He's been reading it and PMed me a second time:

quote:

[redacted] wrote on Sep 1, 2012 11:40:
Does the Mary Sue crap get toned down? Getting tired of the waify redhead being good at everything.

I'm not sure how to best answer this since ... it kind of doesn't get toned down. He's still early on in the comic.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Not my friend, just some goon who messaged me.

quote:

[redacted] wrote on Sep 1, 2012 19:47:
Wellp, just read through the whole god drat thing. Amazing. Brings in a lot of actual theory on weird magical crap. And, Mary Sue has problems. Awesome.

Looks like we have another convert!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

VictorGrunn posted:

It explains why the tree is rapidly growing and suddenly Ysengrin isn't on it anymore,

He's still in the tree though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if we'll ever see actual battles in GC or if it's going to continue much the same way it has been.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm probably imagining it, but Jones reminds me an awful lot of Jeanne in this page.

Not just you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really really don't think she's ageless here guys. She looks clearly younger in this last page, and her dress is making me think that she's an older student here, possibly in her last year - Head Girl?

Just because she's introducing Donny to Eglamore doesn't mean that she's a teacher.

My money's on earth elemental spirit.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yeah this page is pretty clear that she's not aging or aging very very slowly.

So we've had "A day ago" "A week ago" "Years ago" "Several years ago" "Many years ago" "Decades ago", what's next? Several decades? A century ago?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I know it's popular to bag on Burlew lately because people are bitter he got paid or something, but the entire point of OOTS is the constant banter reminiscent of tabletop chatter and D&D gags. Gunnerkrigg Court and Order of the Stick two very different comics and the lessons learned from one may not necessarily apply to the other.

"Andrew Hussie should be forced to read this chapter at gunpoint. I haven't seen this level of conveying motion through static image in a webcomic in a long, long time."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Jones is Samuel's missing eye.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
For some reason I keep going back to metal. I know Jones is neither a robot nor a golem, but throughout reading this chapter I keep thinking "living metal" or something along those lines.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

"I have no desire to be anything anymore" seems like a pretty key line here. I'm just not sure in what way yet.

I don't normally nitpick, but she said "I have no desire to be anything more". If it was "anything anymore" that would have changed the implication of that sentence quite considerably considering what she's told us about not having emotions and a general lack of desires.

I'm still pretty sure Jones is connected in some way to the seed bismuth.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I like the new art in this chapter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Frankly Surma seemed way more stable to me than Tony did, and I'm expecting a "twist" to be that Annie gets her volatility from her father, not her mother.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm bothered by how Tom laid out the first two panels. It's meant to show that Ysengrin is looking at Annie and that she's averting her eyes. The line of sight from Annie's eyes in Panel 2, however, goes directly to Ysengrin's face in Panel 1. This is made worse by the shadow line in the background of Panel 1 which coincidentally matches the invisible line going from Annie's eyes.

I had just woken up and was confused by the Panel 1-2 transition before I realized that she was supposed to be looking away from Ysengrin instead of glaring/?something? at him.

Anyway, it's totally gonna be Smitty. :unsmith:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Anyway, it's totally gonna be Smitty. :unsmith:

Totally knew it, though I should probably have posted my reasoning for making my prediction, since now this just comes off as a lucky guess.

Really, though, he was the only reasonable choice. Annie is far too volatile and has a tendency to get spirits and such worked up (Mort, the fairies, Ysengrin), and Parley is no good at actually parleying. Smitty is stable, calm, and communicates well.

I'm interested to see if Annie has another angry outburst. The time seems ripe for it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Bonster posted:

People keep saying Jones has no emotions about this (I know what she's said about it). If nothing else, though, she's faking surprise. Look at her eyebrows. They're much higher than normal.

After long enough mimicking humans it's probably habitual by now.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Reacean posted:

I'm pretty sure all the wild speculation is just reading too deep. I'm leaning towards consequences for attacking school staff (during her outburst during the summer) or possibly about her homework.

Of course we'll see Wednesday.

The thing is, any possible thing that the headmaster could say about Annie specifically would be ridiculously inappropriate for the moment. Remember, Annie isn't a superstar or anything. She's just a student. To make a Grand Proclamation of Why We Didn't Pick Annie is giving her way too much status, and to specifically call her out on homework or insubordination would be incredibly embarrassing for her and way out of tone.

It's more likely the Headmaster has some choice words for Coyote and Ysengrin specifically. Probably something along the lines of "We know you've been trying to undermine the Court {seeds} and attack our citizens {Annie}, so knock it off".

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I have a feeling Annie's going to get a job or new responsibility, but will be told of this in private. This whole thing reminds me of how Ron/Hermione got prefect badges and Harry didn't get anything.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't think he's a megalomaniacal evil dude or anything. Although he was an rear end to Annie's parents and Co (then some dude punched him out, who was that guy?).

That guy who was a jerk wasn't the headmaster, it was Jack's father.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I must be the only person on Earth who had more than my fill of City Face and "WACKY ZANY PIGEON TALK! :iamafag:" after the first go-'round. :(

You're not the only one.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

mjau posted:

So, I, er. I feel a bit stupid posting this, but what the hell. I found myself with some time to kill and a silly idea today (inspired by Kennel's image)

(i'm sorry)

(it's Dale Cooper and Garland Briggs from Twin Peaks)

Absolutely fantastic. I'm actually in the middle of working through Twin Peaks with a friend. I did a double take when I saw your edit.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr. Peepers posted:

I see Achewood posted with some frequency like it's supposed to be funny but it's never made me laugh so I dunno.

You know how when you were a kid and you tried coffee or beer and went "Blegghh!" and "Why do people like this???" and then after you've had it several times you suddenly start noticing how much you enjoy it?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

His name is Saxifrage Russell.

Just what the Court needs, someone to bring life forth from technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Just what I needed to see at the end of the day, violent gay bashing in a thread about a comic for children.

gently caress off.