Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

dude789 posted:

Dragon Quest 1 only had the HURT spell whether you interpreted that as fire was up to you.

It’s fire. In the Japanese version it’s the “Gira” spell which in all subsequent games has been a fire spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can excuse racism but I draw the line at limited-saving in a buggy open-world made on Cryengine.

I have a high-end PC that can run just about everything at max settings, can do VR supersampling etc and KC:D is the only game I have that can bring it to its knees.

Also it’s interesting to learn about the devs, I wasn’t aware of that before, but the weird racism and misogyny always stuck out to me. Now it makes a lot more sense.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

babypolis posted:

like not referring to someone directly? how does that even work?

Japanese routinely omits subjects of sentences entirely and you have to pick it up from context. E.g the sentence is literally “ate the sandwich” and it could mean “I ate the sandwich” or “he ate the sandwich” and the only way to tell the difference is by the context.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The Colonel posted:

it was an unlocalized sequel to a fan favorite snes jrpg, of course people blew its reputation higher than its actual quality

I don’t think it’s just that. At the time it came out SD3 really did seem to be that good. I was actually living in Japan around the time it came out and it was a standout title then. And that’s in Japan, where they had a much bigger selection of RPGs to choose from (though the majority were shoveleware crap).

It’s certainly the RPG I spent the most time on from around that period—the fact that you could not just customize who your party was (and further customize that with the class change system) but that it would affect the plot and end boss/dungeon gave it a lot of replayability.

It has plenty of problems and games of its type have progressed a lot since then, but I think it’s definitely one of the best games from around that time period.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The Colonel posted:

shout out to how awesome the boxart for all these old jinguuji saburo games is though, every one of these is gorgeous

Oh hey Jinguji Saburo, I love this series. Been playing through the PS1 games recently which I picked up a while back. I'm currently on the 3rd(?) case in Tomoshibi ga Kienu ma ni which revolves around investigating a small-scale handgun smuggling ring in Shinjuku. When you live in a hellscape where mass shootings happen on a daily basis, it feels kind of unreal to play a plotline where police and yakuza alike are flipping the gently caress out over a handful of guns being somewhere on their turf.

Also Saburo is gonna die of lung cancer before he hits 40. I love how the "light up a cig" command which appears everywhere is the equivalent of "give me a hint/what should I do next."

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Best stealing mechanic in a JRPG is the 3DS version of Elminage Gothic, where you can steal and equip weapons from enemies that are technically body parts. I have fond memories of stealing the teeth out of a vampire’s mouth, then equipping them and running around the dungeon biting enemies and level draining them.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 15, 2023

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Japanese PS1 version of the New Age of Llylgamyn remakes does have an English text option for Wizardry 4 and 5, but not for the exclusive arrange version of 4 which you can play in that version.

The Arrange version somehow manages to be even more tedious and difficult than the original so you’re not missing much.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Amppelix posted:

i just learned of the existence of nightmare of druaga and am now immediately going to play it because drat, this game has a look

i had no idea anyone made a proper 3D console roguelike during this era (discounting FFX-2 Last Mission, anyway)

and what's even crazier is that apparently namco thought this would sell enough in other territories that they actually localised it!

The one thing I remember about Nightmare of Druaga was that its balancing was really messed up for a roguelike. Every time you die you don’t lose everything but in such a way that you get punished for advancement through poor scaling. I don’t remember the details though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Never knew about this version of Dragon Quest XI. This is a really neat version!

3DS DQXI was the version I played and it was really good. They had a neat mini game where you enter a dungeon with these creatures called Yocchi that you could give to other people using Streetpass. I got some blatantly hacked ones that way but they didn’t break the game.

They also had a bunch of post game dungeons, each of which had you traveling to previous DQ games and you were forced to use 2D/3D mode based on whether or not the corresponding games were in 2D or not (so 2D for everything DQ6 and earlier, 3D for everything after) Apparently the other versions of the game didn’t get that which is too bad since they were a lot of fun.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Motto posted:

Yeah the thing about "2D mode" is that it was originally part of a dualscreen gimmick for the 3DS version

The dualscreen gimmick is actually only for the very beginning of the game and a handful of other events. For the rest of the game 2D/3D mode is a toggle that can be switched at specific locations. You can’t play the whole game in a dualscreen 2D/3D mode.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

You definitely got the name wrong because Inindo: Way of the Ninja was a neat (and very janky) RPG with a strategy game aspect taped on to the side. :colbert:

The menus were definitely way to slow in that game though.

Inindo was a fantastic game but the SNES port was terrible for a number of reasons. The PC-98 and X6800 versions played, sounded, and even looked better despite being 16-color games. They also had features that got cut from the SNES version like the ability to buy a house in one of Nobunaga’s provinces, marry one of the lady ninja NPCs and leave her there as a spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Barudak posted:

I just learned about Islands of the Caliph and I was going to slam buy it but the dev is apparently not fooling around with their "keyboard only" vision for the game so time to see if I can trick their game before buying it.

It's not actually that bad if you rebind the keys, but I have no idea what the hell the dev was thinking with those defaults. Aside from the inventory screen there's not much about the game where a mouse comes that handy.

That said, I'd temper your expectations with it. It's...OK, but not all that great a game. It nails the setting and atmosphere but the central gameplay loop is pretty basic. Stats basically do nothing and your combat ability relies 95% on your gear, and combat is a very simple "block, then attack" loop. I will say that turning the 5 pillars of Islam into gameplay mechanics is novel. But other than that it's kind of shallow.

Also worth mentioning is that it feels like kind of a missed opportunity in that despite the advertising there's very little actual Middle Eastern folklore of note. It's a middle-eastern themed game taking place on islands, and you're not going to include anything from the stories of Sindbad's voyages? (except a single roc I guess) The advertised Islamic spiritual tradition is there in spades though, to the point that it almost feels like "Convert to Islam: The Game." It's setting appropriate and it's not as bad as those terrible Bible games from the 90s and 00s but there are a few times it feels awfully close to preaching directly at you rather than the in-game character you're controlling. It didn't bother me at all but I definitely see how it could be a little off-putting to some.