Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
This is an admittedly vague question, but does anyone have recommendations for RPGs that are around 15-25 hours long? I want to play something different than the MMOs and shooters I've been playing recently (holy poo poo, playing WoW and Destiny back-to-back is a great way to burn out on those genres hard), but avoid too much of a time commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Huh, I actually got FF4 for my Android tablet but stopped playing since I never use that loving thing :v:

Might pick up the PC version, which is a port of the Android version (which is a port of the DS version), though apparently there's a nasty 15fps frame lock in battles.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other games, investigating now. Suikoden sounds pretty cool (interesting setting, at least), but looks hard to come by these days (I don't have a PS3 or PSP :()

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm mad as gently caress about this Primarch battle at the end of FF13 Ch. 9. It's so much harder than anything in the game leading up to it, and I have three separate guides open, and all of them are like "yeah this is a bullshit DPS race to beat the Doom clock and it has like 5 minutes of filter before it so it's a pain in the rear end to retry and GLHF" argh

Tempted to just lower the combat difficulty to easy for this boss fight. Why am I even playing this stupid game

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No offense but those are some lovely-rear end guides. Bart 2 is vulnerable to Deprotect, Deshell, Slow, and Imperil. With those inflicted on him it is trivial to damage him enough to kill him long before he can begin casting Doom.

:negative: All of the guides said to use Lightning/Fang/Hope, so I didn't even think of using Vanille and her actually-useful SAB abilities. Will give this a shot.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

:negative: All of the guides said to use Lightning/Fang/Hope, so I didn't even think of using Vanille and her actually-useful SAB abilities. Will give this a shot.

update: it worked but it still felt like a DPS race (I feel like one or two more rounds of attacks and I would have triggered the Doom counter), mainly because Vanille seemed to be really inaccurate (would hit like 1/5 debuff attempts). Thanks for the advice!

my hand is so sore from pressing X

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I just got to Gran Pulse, which I've heard is where the real Dark Souls Final Fantasy 13 starts, and I've been enjoying it so far. Been playing it pretty slow, though, mostly only 1-2 hours at a time, which keeps the combat from getting too stale.

I don't really play many RPGs, and I kinda like how relatively simple this one is? Not the linearness - that part I'm starting to grow tired of - but I like that the strategy is all within the combat, rather than having a complex metagame and such (which always just annoys me/leads me to find a guide).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've never played FF7 before, and I've been eyeing it on Steam since it's like $12, but I've got a couple questions:

- If you've got a controller plugged in, does it let you pick which controller you want to use, or just assume a default/accept inputs from all? I know this is a weirdly specific question, but there's a fun bug with unofficial Dual Shock 4 drivers for Windows 10 where the controller shows up as both a generic controller and a 360 controller in Windows, and the option that's supposed to let you hide the generic controller doesn't work.
- In case gamepads aren't an option for me, how's the keyboard controls?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm really enjoying Bravely Default but these scenes with the old dude who makes clothes are, uh, a little more out there than I was expecting from what is basically a Final Fantasy :stare:

I do enjoy how ludicrously evil all the bad guys are though

e: I just got back to the town of shallow ladies and there is a guy here asking Ringabel what base he's gotten to the gently caress is going on in this game

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 21, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I just finished up Xenoblade Chronicles, a game I had some major issues with but overall quite liked. I've been thinking about diving into the mini story they added in the Definitive Edition (Future Connected) or even XC2+Torna. That said, I should probably, uh, take a break from Xenoblade and its huge levels/many sidequests/many systems or I'm gonna burn out.

I'm not really a big (J)RPG person, normally, outside of MMOs (which is why I found Xenoblade relatively approachable, for as complex as it can look), but having managed to put 75 hours into one has made me feel like I should probably take a crack at some more games in the genre.

I'm looking for something that is:

* Less than 30 hours. I really liked Xenoblade but man I cannot imagine putting another 70 hours into a game right now. The shorter, the better, honestly.

* Story-focused. I can tolerate high levels of anime (or high levels of western fantasy, or whatever other tropes), as long as the characters are generally likeable, something Xenoblade 1 does really well.

* Somewhat action-y. I tend to bounce off tactical/grid-based games at some point because I'm just loving bad at them and find them really exhausting to play (a problem that has persisted in everything from Shadowrun to Three Houses), and turn-based menu-combat games are just kind of dull to me (I could not make it more than 15 hours into DQ11).

I was thinking about picking up Ys VIII, though I'm really annoyed I missed when it was on sale on Switch. I have a gaming computer as well, so I might pick it up on Steam, but I like the Switch convenience. What other games can y'all think of that might fit what I'm looking for?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I found out I own Ys Origin on Steam and apparently put, like, three whole hours into it way back in 2014, so I'm giving it a go. Getting over not having a switch by playing it on Steam Remote Play on my iPad, which works... surprisingly well, though getting the Dual Shock 4 configured correctly has been a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Will say I played through route A of Nier A and really liked it, but set it down to take a break and never got back to it. I'd like to play FF7R but have to go through some effort of plugging my PS4 back in, heh.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

wow, Ys Origin is immediately kicking my rear end an hour and a half in, I’m not sure this game is for me. The two bosses I’ve encountered so far (the latter of which I’m stuck on) both seemed spongy as hell for how little HP I have and the lack of any healing items. Is there a secret need to grind out stuff in this game, or are the bosses supposed to be difficult bullet hell encounters?

Maybe if this game had a dodge roll it’d be more my speed, but right now it feels more like Enter the Gungeon or something than what I was expecting from an ARPG. The boss difficulty is so surprising considering the normal enemies all just feel like standard mash-X fare.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ah, thanks for the obvious-in-retrospect advice! Spending ten minutes grinding from level 7 to 9 made the second boss much more reasonable. The one gamefaqs guide for the game lists recommended levels for each boss, so I'll make sure to double check that before complaining next time. Surprised that I was a bit underleveled given how linear it is, but I suppose I did run past some enemies while backtracking at certain points

Also did the equipment upgrades; I was stressed out about wasting resources on starting gear but then realized it's like a trivial amount of SP

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ys Origin: I just got to this dang Arthropod boss and I would like to reiterate that I hate this video game, an opinion I will continue to repeat until such time as I have beaten this boss

I think I need to go grind another level, slowly :negative:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

after getting frustrated with Ys Origin's difficulty, a friend recommended I check out Trails in the Sky. very different kind of game, but I think it turns out I didn't want an action RPG, just something that didn't make me think too hard, and Trails is certainly that. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

thing is, I just met Olivier and was... uh... not a fan of that character's introduction, to say the least. I know JRPGs gonna JRPG (and, like, mid-2000s games across the board are not exactly known for their great representation of queer characters!), but, man, this was gross. Like, up to this point, like four different older women characters have hit on Joshua, who has 16, and every time a woman has done it it is laughed off. This is gross enough on its own, but then, when this male character does hits on him, everyone freaks out and Estelle not only literally asks "are you one of those kinds of boys who likes boys???" and everyone yells at the guy for being a pervert. Which, to be clear, if they were mad he was hitting on a 16-year old, that's completely fine, but instead they are mad that he is a guy hitting on a 16-year old, while every woman who has hit on this kid has been pure comedic relief.

this is a real dark spot in a game that otherwise has been pretty good so far with the characters, as tropey as they are. I'm hopeful they will... not double down on this "joke," but I've heard the series has some less-severe but still not-great issues with queer characters later, which isn't making me optimistic.

honestly, I wonder what JRPGs, if any, have good representation of queer characters? maybe that's a totally impossible dream. and, to be clear, I don't really want to single out JRPGs in particular, I know there's plenty of western RPGs with these sorts of problems, but it just seems to always get a pass in the JRPG genre as "part of the territory"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

:ughh:
Thank you for saving me from having to google that.

Related, I started Ryza and it's my first Atelier game, so far I'm enjoying it and thankfully nobody (yet) has had a horrendously cringeworthy name

In my quest for relatively chill, relatively short JRPGs, Ryza came up (26 hour main story/40 hours with side quests per HLTB), but I was annoyed it didn't go on sale in this Steam sale. Kind of surprised but I guess it's only 3 months old, just figured it'd at least get a lil 10% off or something.

Thanks for the info about the rest of Trails, I think I'll keep going in that series hearing that later games aren't nearly so weird about this.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I was annoyed about the FFCC thing before I found it actually still has couch co-op. I still wish more co-op games did not require a full purchase to play but uhhh I understand that is not exactly a great business model to sell 1/4 as many games as you normally would

(really I just wish more games did multipacks but it seems like that only happens on steam)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Amppelix posted:

i'm 99% sure it doesn't, where did you learn this

hmmm, I found a few articles from back in March that said that it would have couch co-op based on the Playstation Store page for the game having a "local co-op" thing listed, but it looks like that page no longer exists

Co-Optimus also lists it as having local co-op but I dunno its source on that https://www.co-optimus.com/game/5762/nintendo-switch/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-edition.html

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've been having fun playing Trails in the Sky, other than some annoyances with the story that I mentioned earlier, but I'm starting to get some anxiety about the length of the series. I'm currently about 29 hours in and a small ways into Chapter 3.

I've started using the LP Archive playthrough of the game as a walkthrough, since the game has a lot of missable content, and the more I play the more I realize I could... uh... probably just read the LP for the next couple games. Like, I find the combat pretty compelling for what it is (especially enjoy how much they mix up who's in your party at any time!), but I'm not sure I need two more games of it, especially before moving on to... three more games of it?

I'm thinking about finishing this game up, then reading LPs of SC and 3rd, and then starting on Cold Steel. I'm curious, though: are there any significant gameplay changes or improvements in SC or 3rd that I'd be missing out on? I thought about looking at reviews, but I'm wary of plot spoilers, so figured I'd just ask here instead.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 29, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

man that Trails in the Sky FC cliffhanger is something :stare:

definitely going to read through the LP Archive playthrough of SC. I think if I had, like, played these games when released/translated, I could imagine playing through a second one a few years after the first, but back to back seems rough. will say a close-to-100% playthrough (only missed a couple side quests) "only" took about 45 hours while holding down turbo for pretty much all the combat after chapter 1, so it's not that bad as JRPGs go, but whoof, that was a dense fuckin game

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

FFXV is awesome

...until you actually engage the plot

...or any significant combat

...but just driving around the world with your buddies, stopping off at truck stops and going fishing was awesome. Surprised someone hasn't made a game similar to that, but without all the FF baggage.

I think Christine Love's upcoming game is very loosely this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/938860/Get_In_The_Car_Loser/

I say "very loosely" because while it is a road trip JRPG without the Final Fantasy baggage, it sounds like it'll be a pretty linear experience (the description mentions "no sidequests, no maps, no codex entries"). Which is a bit disappointing as someone who would totally take an open world road trip game (just, like, gimmie Xenoblade with a car and companions who aren't the goddamned worst), but still might be really neat.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the Atelier Ryza 2 announcement and the sale of Ryza 1 on Steam got me thinking I should go try one of those games, so I grabbed Ryza, launched it, and... wow, they sure did sexualize the hell out of this 17-year old main character, didn't they? like, not even from a thighs perspective, but from like a swinging chest physics and camera leering on close ups of her chest in the opening cutscene. think I'm going to slam the refund button on this one before I get any further, because yikes

I think my desire to try playing more JRPGs is rapidly dropping, between this and the bullshit I put up with in Trails. I know last time this came up in this thread there was a whole kerfluffle so, like, I'd like to note I'm not trying to paint the entire nation of Japan with a creepy pedo brush, but I am genuinely uncomfortable with the way minors are sexualized in lots of Japanese video games, and how this seems to be getting more common as a marketing tactic. urgh.

shame to because the game sure does look pretty and seemed appealing otherwise. seems like there might be other Atelier games without these problems but if the future of the franchise is this (and, going off the costume in the Ryza 2 trailer, sure does seem like it), might as well not bother getting onboarded now

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 21, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit I genuinely don't remember the leering chest shots in Ryza's opening cutscene at all. Maybe I'm just desensitized to it but I remember specifically wondering because they turned up the designs to 11. (See: Lila) but the game itself seems to almost ignore that entirely.

For what it's worth I recall basically no sexualization within the game itself but I also don't recall the scenes you're talking about so v:shrug:v

to be fair, I may have been looking for horniness that wasn't there just because the discourse around the character is so fuckin gross (by which I mean, earlier today I read the Twitter replies on Nintendo's Ryza 2 tweet, whoops!!). "leering" is probably overdramatic, but her whole costume is a bad first impression (all I can think when looking at her shirt is "cloth does not work like that")

if the game genuinely avoids doing anything gross with the characters I'll probably return to it, but it just doesn't sit right with me. like, pointlessly horny characters don't bother at all me when they're clearly, like, adults (e.g. I found attempting to find real pants for Sharla a hilarious minigame in Xenoblade), and I'm glad Ryza is at least canonically older in the next game

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

got back into ryza and started enjoyin it a bit and then opened youtube and this was in my recommendations :negative:

it's me, I'm the Woke Clown. this is basically the JRPG equivalent of how watching any video about politics or world history floods your recommendations with alt-right bullshit, isn't it

DisDisDis posted:

id wear riza's outfit dancing however im very incensed that the 2h sword boy dresses like a floozy

at least Lent is canonically 18 and has the rare anime quality of looking older than he is

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Wait, those are the shorts that everyone was talking about? Looks like a bikini bottom with flaps. I swear I've seen the design before some time ago and my memory is telling me that they were actually shorts, but...eh.

they look fine in Ryza 1 (on the left), but I have no idea what the gently caress happened to them in Ryza 2. honestly the shorts in 1 just read to me like "short shorts that are comfy and easy to wear and don't seem to have come from a horny focus group." the real problem in 1 is the fact that she basically looks like she was just in a wet t-shirt contest at all times

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

why would the club go flying into the alligators and not the ball

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

since we're talking Atelier here and I don't want to go dig up the Atelier thread: I know Ryza has both new game plus and a "continue after the final boss" thing. does the latter lock you out of any stuff? I'm pretty sure I've done all the quests I can up to this point and stuff so probably not worth worrying about, but curious. I'm not... really sure I'm going to go for completionism on this game, though I think I'm approaching the last boss

also are these weird floating bosses on thrones supposed to be something I'm supposed to save for endgame? I should try just fighting one I guess but I'm always carrying a million things I don't wanna lose and this game doesn't have a run button

this game is weird. it's not very good, the progression is nonsense, it's easy enough you can ignore most of the systems, I don't like all the additional mechanics they added on the edges of crafting like the dumb bottle worlds and item duplicator or whatever, and I'm glad it's not longer than 40 hours cuz it already feels like I'm very done with it. it's cute and charming but I can't see myself playing Ryza 2 unless it makes a big, drastic change

I know Ryza is generally less liked than other Ateliers by fans for being shallower and shorter, so what do those other games have that makes them more compelling? I could imagine the time management aspect being interesting, as much as I usually hate those sorts of mechanics; assuming that crafting advances time like it does in Ryza I imagine you have to do a slight bit more optimization instead of just kinda slamming out recipes with minimal effort to upgrade alchemy stats and unlock parts of the tree like I do in Ryza

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Yes it does. It’s R1, R1 makes you run.

I meant like... run from fights that you're in :v:

you're right, though, I should just beeline to those bosses, I always just start collecting poo poo on the way and then I'm like "oh no I could lose some of these items!!"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

You can also run from fights too, select the move option in a fight and you can select escape as a move option.

oh my god i completely forgot there was a move option at all :negative:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

okay, well, I finished Ryza, clocked like 37 hours and did almost all the side quests, plenty of endgame and postgame stuff left though

what a weird little game. I don't regret my time with it, and there was enough charm that it didn't feel like a waste, but the biggest thing I keep turning over in my head is how completely unengaging the systems were. I think there were, like, exactly 3 or 4 times where I sat down and actually went through and crafted some new items and gear, which... is loving wild over a nearly 40 hour game theoretically centered around crafting. I think if the game was stretched longer and had more "gates" that would help a lot. I think the only times I actually had to improve my gear to progress were dragon boss and end boss, and in between I just kinda... crafted some better bombs and stuff, more than actual gear improvements. Maybe I also messed up the balance curve by getting some good random items from Klaudia's dad?

Obviously, there's a whole bunch of endgame I could engage with, but... I just can't say I feel that compelled to. Couple guides I see online are like "how to break the game and max everything to 999" and blah blah blah and none of that is interesting to me. I just wish they'd made crafting more fun and important in the main storyline.

cheetah7071 posted:

though if there is a large contingent of ryza dislike I could easily miss it because tbh I have no idea where good places to talk atelier on the internet even are

this is mostly just the opinions of a couple people I know who have played a few Atelier games than any greater hive mind, but they were also probably reacting a bit to my specific complaints. I still find the series interesting enough I might give another one of the games a go in the future, I just hope it's a bit more interesting.

e: the thing I keep turning over in my head is that I think what I wanted from the gathering/crafting system was more of a loop. Like, when you get to a new area, if you had to gather a bunch of stuff to unlock new gear to be able to defeat stuff in that area, I think that'd be much more compelling than "well I can unlock a couple new types of items that are basically sidegrades or not necessarily obvious improvements over my stuff"

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 13, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

crisis core's story is really funny, but also thank god that game's "campaign" is only 12 hours long because if it was any longer i think it would have overstayed its welcome

a delightful cast of absolute idiot dumbasses in that game

i recommend sticking with the game because the combat's fun and you can just beeline the critical path

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i'm curious what unicorn overlord ends up being because i found triangle strategy to be a bit too tough for me, but if this can be a notch down from that it might be my speed. that also probably would make it boring for people who actually like tactics games, though :v:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Has anyone here played WitchSpring R? It's on Steam and is basically an Atelier-like, from what I've experienced in the first 90 minutes. I have a friend who played through it and liked it last year but I'm not sure it's really going to develop in a way I'm gonna want to stick with, curious if anyone else here has tried it so I can get more opinions before I can no longer refund it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

I liked it a lot, it definitely like a budget atelier game. It was a breezy game with an easy combat system and a straightforward plot but a fair bit of charm. What specifically are you worried about?

I like the idea of a breezy game, but so far, this hasn't really introduced a compelling cast. One nice thing about the Atelier games I've played (Ryza 1 and 2) is that they're pretty quick to introduce you to a lot of NPCs, whereas so far in this game, I have only met Mean Bird, Silent Troll Giant, and Soldier Who Sucks.

I think if the game had a promise of compelling gameplay this wouldn't matter so much, but a lot of the steam reviews talk about combat being trivial, which has me worried I just won't find much to enjoy in this game - if the story is bad and the combat is dull, there's not much left.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Ah ok. So the combat starts off a little too easy and quickly descends into completely trivial.

The main story itself was good but I am automatically on board for any game where the plot goal is kill the pope so I can't deny my bias' here. It moved at a good pace and the moments that were supposed to hit mostly did.

The cast definitely starts weak, for the first few hours I didn't care for anybody. But I really came around on Pieberry and mean bird and ended up liking both of them. They introduce some better characters, but the character writing on the whole is just kinda fine. So if you really need great character writing, you may bounce off this game. Kinda hard to say though as I usually care more about character writing than plot and I still liked it so your mileage may vary.

Gotcha. I think I'll refund it for now since $30 is a bit steep for a game I can see myself abandoning in a few more hours, but I might give it another go if it goes on sale, or if they release the Hard Mode mentioned in their most recent news update.

Still on the hunt for some kind of grinding podcast game, just want one with a bit more going on... kind of a tricky thing to find, since so many games fall on one end of the difficulty extreme or the other. Like, a dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey seems cool conceptually, but way harder than what I want in practice. I'm pretty overloaded with story-heavy games right now (LAD:IW, Ace Attorney, some day I'm going to start on Live A Live in earnest...), so really want an RPG that provides a grind with engaging mechanics. Maybe one of the FF Pixel Remasters or a Dragon Quest makes sense...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Gran Blue Fantasy Relink.

this totally would be it, but unfortunately I promised a friend I'd play through the endgame with them co-op (i already beat the campaign), and I'm waiting for them to reach it :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've tried to play Ys Origin like 3 times and I always get stuck on the stupid worm boss. That thing is ridiculously brutal. I'd kinda like to try 8 or maybe Oath? I assume 8 is relatively easy like most modern action RPGs, dunno about Oath.

I think it's very funny that studio has Ys which requires basically zero lore knowledge to play, and Trails which at this point you have to play about 300 hours of game before playing the new one. Interesting split strategy, I guess

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 18, 2024

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Terper posted:

I give you my blessing to start with Trails through Daybreak, out later this year

Is this an actual reset or is it going to be more of a Yakuza 7 where it's like "ok here's a whole bunch of people you don't know but all you need to know is they're neat"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

stacking up long games can feel pretty bad too. I'm currently working on Great Ace Attorney 2, Etrian Odyssey, and Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth, and those are all 35+ hour games. I decided to put down LADIW for a few weeks (it has a pretty natural "act break" in chapter 8) and relegate GAA2 to "bedtime reading" status while I work on EO just so it doesn't all feel so overwhelming. plus I'm gonna play one some shorter indie games on my backlog when I need a break from EO since it can start to wear in longer sessions

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The funny thing with crisis core is if you do literally two hours of the side stuff you'll be wildly overleveled for the rest of the main story

I just started on Star Ocean 2R. Absolutely hilarious that they did a new Japanese dub for this, but the English voice acting is from the 2007 PSP version, and holy poo poo does it sound like it. I don't want to change it to Japanese because it's too funny to pass up.

I also really had zero idea what this game was (like, I thought it was turn based) but I'm enjoying it so far. Was not expecting this massive crafting system where I can level up my cooking skill and that also increases my ATK?

Game looks gorgeous too. I didn't realize the original was like a 2D sprites on pre-rendered backgrounds game, so I love that the HD2D-ification is basically just making the backgrounds large and dynamic. Maybe the people who are mad about the lack of a "real" FF7 remake should be pointing to this as what they want; I hadn't considered that you could dress up previously-static backgrounds like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ok, I'm now 7 hours into Star Ocean 2R - just sailed to another continent, still a 3-person party with Celeste - and I feel like I must be missing some part of this game. both in the random encounters on the overworld here, and in the new area of the Salva mine I just unlocked that has a dragon boss in it, all of the fights are either instant wins with just basic attacks, or I get killed in one hit by an AOE cast. the same casts were an issue in the last dungeon too (the forest attached to the Symbology town), and the fights are so fast it seems impossible to dodge unless you are just constantly running back and forth when you see a caster circle appear.

am I missing some way to get new gear or something? I don't really think the IC/BP stuff should feed into this, unless the random buffs section of the skills would help? I can craft new accessories, and I can customize new weapons (I already got Claude a comically overpowered sword that you can just immediately get, very funny), but Rena still has, like, her starting robe, and even Claude is still dying in one hit. I looked up a guide and it was like "oh yeah this was a problem for me too and I just saved a lot" which seems bad!

this combat seems like it should be like 20% slower if it really wants me to watch for tells and do dodges, especially since the mistimed dodge punish is basically instant death. hell, the sprites don't even have meaningful tells other than a red flash that shows up for a quarter second. game feels like it's running at the wrong speed or something

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 27, 2024