Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Looper posted:

itt post about things you like, sincerely

phantasy star 4 has the best boss fights i've ever seen in an rpg. none of them are mechanically complex, but the bosses dominate the screen in a way no one else has caught up with since.

even Zio, who's one of the first major antagonists and for all intents and purposes is just a guy (in a universe where most bosses are manifestations of chaos and evil), has one of the sickest boss arenas ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Epic Battle Fantasy 5 has 98% positive reviews on Steam. Is it a fun (but trashy) game, or is this just another case of the review system failing?

it's terminally fascist so just bear that in mind if you somehow didn't notice from the promo images

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lol jesus christ

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the final fantasy 2 remake for the gameboy advance is the best final fantasy game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

If I remember the flash RPG series Mardek being good, is that just rose-tinted glasses or are they worth a nostalgia playthrough?

chapters 1 and 2 are pretty basic, both in terms of mechanics and story. Chapter 3 is a lot bigger, has more interesting boss design, and is written better to boot. It's grindy, but I think it's worth a replay

i remember there being a town with a king and a chancellor literally named "Obviously Evil Chancellor" who always talks all sinister but never actually betrays the king for the entire game. pretty good gag imo

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i was not prepared for how long Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is. I got into it thinking it would be another undertale/lisa style indie rpg with three or four hub worlds and a climax, but I'm already six acts in and it's showing no signs of stopping. every time i turn around i find a new bit of optional content, too. it's soul crushing to know i won't be able to finish before i head home for christmas

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

I really ought to play their second Cthulhu RPG game sometime. Oooh, and it looks like it is half off on Steam right now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1057540/Cthulhu_Saves_Christmas/

it's surprisingly good for being a self-admitted asset flip. the combat design is as good as any zeboyd game, and the princess maker style town sections between each stage had more variety than i expected

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'll always hate any map type whose gimmick is "and now your entire roster is slow as poo poo except maybe one or two movement types", because they almost never present a challenge beyond struggling to stay awake while playing because it now takes five times as long to progress through a stage unless you want to overextend your few units who can move normally and get them killed.

Thanks for letting my mages move normally, game, that'll be useful once I spend the 15 turns required to get my actual tanky units into position(unless the game is so easy that your mages can solo the stage in which case that's a separate problem).

solve this the way fire emblem 7 solved this in Hector's Hard Mode by having every enemy unit on the map bum rush your army on turn 1. maybe skip the npcs that are too far away to save and occasionally die on turn 2, though

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How exactly is the modern J-Wizardry related to the defunct western original? Did Sir-Tech licence out the name to a japanese developer as easy cash since there was a greater demand there?

based on quick research, it looks like it started out with licensing and eventually the brand was bought outright. seems pretty similar to what happened with russian publishers and the King's Bounty IP

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I played through the entirety of ffxii and when I reached the final boss I realized that I had absolutely no idea what the plot of the game was.

fantasy nukes: not even once

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

then honestly i would not mention it at all and save it for a twitter thread after the game is out or something, if they truly are prevented from providing any kind of context.

first time i've seen someone argue in favor of games journalism as nothing but an extension of industry PR wings

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

im in favor of games journalism not existing tbh

alright im back on board

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ff4 had a good bonus dungeon too. kain's portion obviously stole the show but i did like the part where yang has to fight ten million monks in a row

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Since there has been some Tales of series talk, I was curious about which entries y'all thought were the most interesting in terms of story and character.

if we're only counting story and character, the answer is obviously Berseria. that game's shortcomings are all in the level design

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the metroidvania rpg fusion works so well i'm shocked nobody's done it before. i particularly liked the way the narrative in Crystal Project is flexible enough to let you sequence break to various late-game areas fairly early if you know the movement mechanics and the map well enough. it's not easy to fight in late areas with low level characters, but if you avoid combat and loot chests you can cheese some extra high power equipment to help with the dungeons you're actually progressing through.

the class system's balance does end up fairly broken by the endgame, with at least one build (Thief + Weaver) i found that was able to completely shut down several bosses on its own, but there was still enough variety in the boss gimmicks that i couldn't just sleepwalk to the end of the game. it's a really good game without a doubt

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zurai posted:

I looked at Crystal Project, but some of the reviews put me off. Every negative review and some of the positive ones mention two things that concern me:

One is that the game's point-to-point movement is almost entirely platforming/jumping puzzles with a prevalence of optical illusions and so on to make you miss your jump and have to start all over. Supposedly this is compounded by a poor fast travel system where you only have a single return point and it's possible to accidentally reset it.

The other is that once you get past the early mid-game, you start encountering random battles that feel extremely unfair. One-shotting the whole party before your first turn, requiring very specific builds to progress, etc. Tucked into this complaint is lots of comments about how certain builds just aren't viable--buffs, heals, and tanking are frequently called out. This makes several of the classes lame ducks.

Can anyone who's played the game through comment on those?

to your second point, all enemies can be seen on the world map as a ghostly flame, and the flame is color coded to indicate relative strength compared to your team, sorted from least to most dangerous as gray - green - blue - orange - red. There's a number of ways to break out of bounds in early or midgame areas that will lead to one of a number of minibosses involved with an endgame sidequest, but given how far out of the way they are and the fact that the player will be looking at a giant red flame, it's easy enough to intuit that these fights will be dangerous.

it's also worth noting that party wipes don't force a reload. you'll be sent back to your most recent home point with all experience points and treasures accumulated in the last run, and you won't even lose money if the fight you lost was a boss fight. almost all of the pathways that lead to secret endgame content have save points leading into them, so there's very little risk to exploring and seeing what there is to see.

if you'd strongly prefer to do content strictly in order from easiest to hardest, this might not be the game for you. figuring out what content you can safely tackle next is a major part of the exploration, and there's most likely going to be places where you get blindsided by ending up somewhere you're not supposed to be yet. but the game knows this, and it's been carefully designed to encourage exploration anyway and reduce the impact of failure.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: also I'm supposed to come back for this Ancient Sword, right, because same problem (lol it just multislashes me and I get Bleed on everyone and I loving die instantly)

it's definitely tuned higher than the rest of the volcano, but there's a trick you can do with any of the bosses that spams AOE attacks: class swap everybody except your main tank to Rogue long enough for them to learn Reflex Stance, and then abuse that stance heavily. your team will be less powerful all being subclassed to rogue, but you'll only need to heal your main tank and keep them on the top of the enmity chart, which is significantly easier than trying to manage damage and debuffs on the entire team

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

poe meater posted:

How come Golden Sun never got more games made anyways? Did the sequel not sell well?

I feel like Golden Sun was super popular or at least well regarded at the time but that just some vague memory years ago.

The Lost Age is one of my all time favorite RPGs, but after seeing where the franchise went with Dark Dawn i'm not exactly clamoring for another sequel. That's evidently true for enough people that there isn't exactly any groundswell of energy for a continuation

I've seen a few people defend Dark Dawn, and i can't even begin to understand it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
well, if it had to sum it up in a few points
-dark dawn is way more linear, and i dont like that
-there's nowhere near as much endgame and optional content, which is a similar point but bears mentioning
-the playable cast grows throughout the game instead of right at the end, which results in all the dialogue bloating out with reaction shots from irrelevant characters. The Lost Age got around this by bringing in the back half of the party right before the very last dungeon
-the limited world map means there's less variety in the cultures of the towns you visit, which was one thing i liked a lot about TLA
-this one's more tenuous because i've memory holed most of my experience with dark dawn, but i think it was a way more generic stop the evil bad guy plot. i liked the more existential threat in TLA

there's more, but it gets into more esoteric poo poo that's more my personal taste, like me being a sicko who thinks Air Rock is one of the best dungeons in rpg history and nothing in dark dawn holds a candle to it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i enjoyed Cthulhu Saves Christmas way more than Cosmic Star Heroine. i feel like zeboyd does their best work with a limited budget and scope

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i wish phantasy star 4's comic book cutscene style had caught on, i really liked the way it flowed

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Okay, so do you think it's immoral to use the same artistic style as someone else?

you are too stupid to take part in this conversation. please go somewhere else

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

BurningBeard posted:

Which games do y’all think have the best exploration and/or dungeons?

Tales of Berseria ftw!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
zeboyd's a fantastic rpg designer, i'll always play their works

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Junpei posted:

The best RPG is Library of Ruina

epic this

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
omori/sunny is the only time i've felt like a silent protagonist was fully justified by the plot

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Atelier Iris 2 had a party member who ended up in a relationship with an npc. Too bad he was the most annoying party member and he stays in the party when he could be spending time with his new wife and not annoying the hell out of me.

Hahn from Phantasy Star 4 is married to a beautiful schoolteacher npc, which makes his whole pathetic shtick much funnier

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What are some fun rpgs with fun time management mechanics, like a personas or a three houses or the good ateliers? Turns out, these are my jam

Ever Oasis for the 3ds. i wish it would get a switch release

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

jimmy and the pulsating mass

epic this

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

this game and the original sound kinda cool but they only make me want to go play Rocket Slime again, a game in which launching yourself out of a cannon is not only always the right choice but should be done repeatedly in every battle

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think the fact that ai writing is being floated as a possibility is proof enough that there are too many characters in modern rpgs with nothing important or interesting to say. it's time to end npc bloat

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

:chloe:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the best battle network game is One Step from Eden

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I love the iconoclasts. it opens as a screed against organized religion so extreme it reads like a parody of dawkins atheism, but by the end it proves to be way deeper than that, while somehow simultaneously being even more atheist than the opening implies

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Goons, I love a good dungeon. In the spirit of that, what are your favorite dungeons of all time?

ku'lero temple from crosscode. i'm a fan of maximalist game design, and ku'lero is simply the most

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
setting an orphanage on fire is apparently okay by censor standards

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

mycot posted:

I don't think this is for lack of trying, off the top of my head Ysayle Yotsuyu and Fordola all get a decent push in their respective expansions, the male NPCs just always end up way way waaaaay more popular.

this post made me stop and wonder why i like yotsuyu and don't like benedikta, and i think it comes down to the ff14 song Wayward Daughter specifically. the mechanics and music in the Tsukoyomi boss fight folds all of yotsuyu's character into the climax of her story, and the fight against garuda in 16 just doesn't. which ends up making benedikta's arc feel insulting, even though it's ultimately very similar to yotsuyu's

that said, i think the real problem is that benedikta is a very early antagonist, and 16 hasn't built up to its fullest spectacle yet at the time you fight her. i haven't finished 16 yet, but i beat Titan, and that fight had a lot more of the spectacle and thematically relevant music that i love in 14

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
like the one thing dark dawn has going for it is carrying forward the first two games' traditions of putting actual care into having meaningfully different cultures in different locations

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Einander posted:

There is a tangible difference between Majora's Mask having a time limit and the original Kingdom Hearts not moving a Trinity Mark that becomes inaccessible due to later plot events in Halloween Town, man. The plot of Kingdom Hearts does not hinge on whether or not Sora, Donald and Goofy are able to stand on each other's shoulders to grab a chest in this one particular location.

okay, but your enjoyment of kingdom hearts might hinge on whether or not you do a second playthrough after beating the game once to see the things you missed and take better advantage of the game's systems. and replaying the game might change your appreciation of the plot now that you know certain elements ahead of time. it's not a design decision made for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
crosscode is loving epic ftw