Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I haven't finished it yet but my biggest issue with FF16 was that the equipment, crafting and ability point stuff felt tacked on. Like they didn't want RPG stuff messing with the combat too much so they toned it down to really boring small stat increases.

The moment I went off the beaten path in one area and found an ogre to fight followed by a chest with a whopping 10 fangs I just stopped exploring the more open areas and just started barrelling towards the next marker hoping I'd get to a boss fight soon.

It's a good game but it just feels messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Hard mode on Ng+ is dumb when you have a stage select/replay right there.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
It would have been neat to play as other characters but I think I just want more weapon movesets.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Gunblades never miss because they wanted you to press R1 and have it do more damage and be all cool and stuff

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Everything's an RPG until I say it ain't.

Which would folks recommend: Chained Echoes or Sea of Stars?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Snooze Cruise posted:

romancing saga minstrel song

Is that an RPG?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

This answers nothing!

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Failboattootoot posted:

If you had to pick one, the thread consensus would probably be Chained Echoes, but I wouldn't recommend either tbh.

I mean if folks have some other recommendations for an indie RPG that's also good.

Those two are just the ones I'm seeing a lot of lately.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I thought crosscode was an action game

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Kanos posted:

Not liking a game's aesthetics is a perfectly valid reason to not really enjoy a game, even if other people do enjoy said game.

That's why I don't want to play one of the many, many Touhou games

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I played the Star Ocean demo and it feels really good? Like a 90s anime nostalgia feeling when I never played the original.

I don't quite understand the crafting and the dodge mechanic feels bad but I still want it.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Ah no stop it I can't handle any more games please stop I'm begging you

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
She says her emotional story and Jack says "bullshit", puts on limp bizkit and they all proceed to walk all the way back to the castle entrance before Jack takes off the headphone and continues the conversation on why he thinks that's bullshit.

Jack is possibly the best FF dork.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I kinda wish Persona social links didn't feel like I'm wasting time if I hang out with someone and don't say exactly what they want to hear.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Literally all I'd want is that if I spend time with someone I just get the mechanical advantage.

All choices could shape how the last social link goes plot wise.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
When I played the Star Ocean 2 demo I skipped all the cutscenes and now I'm worried about folks saying it takes ages to let you play

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Endorph posted:

and to get ahead of it i dont think we should post about wanting to gently caress robo either

Well who can we gently caress!?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Talking about the video game anime about mmo vibes is still talking about video games so i'm good with that.

Video games

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I started Star Ocean 2 on Universe and its funny how it just feels like either I one shot the enemy or they one shot me.

I have like zero interest in the story or characters so far and I just want to spend ages messing with the crafting system and combat.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

RareAcumen posted:

Who do we need to blame/help to make sure decisions like this never happens again? The localizers or the voice director?

Bwame yourself or God.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

mycot posted:

Just never phonetically write an accent in English unless it's like, ze Spy in Team Fortress 2 levels of silly. Japanese has a bunch of "catchphrases" that probably don't accurately reflect how people actually talk but do indicate an accent. You can't really get across in the same thing in English text, you have to settle for fairly subtle (like word choice) or extreme caricature.

But how will I tell the difference between the whole cast in Chrono Cross?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
What are some of the worst RPGs folks have played? Like really bad ones and not bad ones compared to the rest of a game series.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
So far, Ancient Roman sounds like the top tier of bad rpg.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
What is neptunia about? Who our what are the console anime girls fighting against?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Are the pirates actual pirates? Do the consoles actually fight? What lessons do we learn along the way? How gay is the robot?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Endorph posted:

define 'actual pirates'

Like literally dressed in a pirate costume

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Aww that sounds like a missed opportunity, so like if the girls are consoles what are the games? How are the pirate witches steal poo poo?

My actual bad game is Too Human, for so, so, so many reasons. I was all hyped for it originally and it's twin stick combat was nearly the worst thing I ever played.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

like a solid half of this thread loves to talk about how every rpg is bad and ruining the genre except for a small handful of final fantasies (not any of the bad ones that have things like writing or women in them mind you) and dont ever wanna talk about games that are good or interesting or new. kinda weird of them!

in better news, you guys wont believe this but reverse collapse: code name bakery is good

Sorry, I know I sorta started it up by asking for bad RPGs.

It's weird/dumb, but I actually wanted to play something particularly bad recently, so I asked here.

I've been lately super critical about a lot of games that are really good generally but have some glaring flaw that I focus too much on. I wanted to play a bit of something that just falls apart completely. I guess as a palette cleanser or something like that.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
You can't say game is bad cuz like "what bad?"

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

Does it count as Isekai if you're actually in a fantasy world that exists inside the dying mind of Frederic Chopin?

To this day, I still don't understand why they wrote a dull Tales game story but just added that it was all in Chopin's head.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I'd like to hear the pitch meeting for it. Just at the last second reading the negative reaction to dull fantasy jrpg one of them just blurts out "BUT ITS ALL IN FREDERICK CHOPIN'S MIND WHILE HES DYING!"

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

RareAcumen posted:

I think because most games are made with the intent to be interesting and talked about and that's a factoid that draws people's attention.

No, no that makes too much sense

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Everything bad about SaGa Emerald is actually what makes it good. That's why it can't be criticised, so dont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I only really played Frontier and I love it, but I never knew such joy until I heard the dub.

Diva's Scottish accent is great but what really sold me was her Producer. He sounds like he just really wanted to do a Scottish accent because Diva has one and he just fucks it all up. Its elegant and I love him.