Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Nomenklatura posted:

This, right here, is why this poo poo needs to change.

I think Rogers feels very threatened right now since Netflix could take away a lot of revenue from their movie rentals either from B&M or from their On Demand. Hell, the day Netflix announced they were coming to Canada the bandwidth caps for all of Rogers' tiers was lowered.

I just hope this doesn't also mean Teksavvy's cable internet packages can be capped because their unlimited package is the only competitive thing they really have going against Bell/Rogers(15down/1up @ $54.95).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Shumagorath posted:

Either that, or IP-based TV and movie services start getting bandwidth cap exemption from the carriers and someone cries antitrust.

If Steam and Netflix got bandwidth cap exemptions half of my problems with the drat thing would disappear. Too bad it'll never happen. :(

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Blistex posted:

Bell hell.
Couldn't you have just called up MasterCard, explained the situation, and have them do a chargeback and block Bell from charging the card anymore?

As for the question earlier about Teksavvy's cable getting capped/throttled: the current UBB system only affects DSL. If Rogers/whoever wanted to they could always file one for cable, but that would take a while to go through the CRTC's system.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

teethgrinder posted:

Please talk about how the caps are insulting to legitimate traffic, like Netflix (maybe even mention that it seems awfully like anti-competitive behaviour), but also digital distribution like Steam and PSN. (I have no idea what downloads are like on XBLA.)

Xbox Live Arcade games can be anywhere from 50MB to 500MB. DLC for games routinely runs up to a gigabyte or more.

less than three, if you can, make sure you mention that even with infastructure and overhead costs Canadians are still paying obscene amounts for access every month (ie. 125GB cap for $70 a month when it only costs the ISP pennies per gigabyte.) Oh, and Rogers dropping caps the day after Netflix announced they were going to be competing with coming to Canada would great, too.

Good luck, too. Marketplace (and CBC as a whole) is one of the few news programs that still produces interesting/worthwhile content.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
They misspelled Gigabyte, but that's okay. It was pretty informative, but I actually laughed when the other guy said "my usage this month will be about 40 gigabytes. :colbert:"

I just got the notice this morning that I'm past my 125GB limit. :(

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Nitr0 posted:

Maybe they're going to use that additional revenue to upgrade! :x

Because three private jets per exec weren't enough! ;)

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Ughhhh, I'm getting interviewed for a CBC piece on the UBB issue. Anyone have any soundbites that wouldn't make me sound like an idiot on :siren:National Television:siren:.... :sigh:

Say what everyone's been telling you so far, but don't expect them to air anything you say. It was my impression that when less than three was interviewed that they barely used anything he said and just decided to run with the "lol he uses too much! back to you, Peter!"

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Ornithoptometrist posted:

Where are you guys finding out about TekSavvy cable availability? Just call them up and hope you get someone who knows?

I'm going to be moving to London in a month or so and I'm curious to know what my options will be. My brother just moved to Ottawa in January and ended up going with 3web (I think?) because he couldn't keep waiting to hear when TekSavvy would start offering cable.

It's extra lovely because I only just found out about EyeSurf here in Waterloo!

Teksavvy doesn't have cable here yet. It's been slow-going for them as its been costly to expand and Rogers hasn't been the most cooperative. They were estimating to be here by the end of 2009.

They do have DSL here, including 5mbit down unlimited. You can keep checking their website every few weeks, but I doubt they won't be here until the end of the year: http://teksavvy.com/en/checkontariocable.asp

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

triplexpac posted:

I'm on Teksavvy DSL and my YouTube videos load really slowly as well

I think that's just YouTube being YouTube. I'm with Rogers and their "Extreme Plus" cable internet and YouTube can be incredibly sluggish at times. I find it varies on the video and also the quality selected. A 480p video may load super-slow but bump it up to 720p and the video is downloaded in a matter of seconds.

Are you using Roger's DNS or a third party? I'm using Google's myself so maybe that has something to do with it?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

StealthArcher posted:

So yeah, home, trying to convince parents to switch, one problem. My father has a sympatico email he's used for 4 years, and it's tied to his business now. This is the only real block on it, so I'd like to know exactly how long after we switch will Bell cancel or if there is some way to keep it.

I'm pretty sure he can keep the e-mail address as long as he pays them something like $10 a month. The best option would be to do that and have him get his own domain name for his business emails for a cheap $40 a year, it'll look a lot more professional and you have better control over it incase you decide to change ISPs again.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

kuddles posted:

I will slightly miss the addictive 25 Mbps speed (nothing sweeter than renting an HD movie off PSN and the entire thing being downloaded about half an hour later), but I certainly won't miss the pain of constantly checking my usage meter to see if I can "afford" to download something, lest I get a surprise overage charge at $1.50 per gig at the end of the month.

You know it's bad when the actual download of a Steam game costs more than what you paid for the game itself. I have a huge game backlog simply because I can't download them without paying massive overage charges.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
As painful as that sounds, be thankful it wasn't a problem with the wiring. Having to schedule a tech to come out and replace the wiring can be brutal, especially if you found out after switching them to Teksavvy since there'd be a dispatch fee.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Lone Rogue posted:

If it's a problem on the outside, doesn't that fall under being a Bell issue and you're not charged for the dispatch? You should only be charged for if it's a problem inside the house (i.e. they consider that your fault).

I've been without Internet since Thursday but I couldn't make a call about it until Monday. I had a Bell technician call me only an hour after I got done with the tech support (must be employment perks) but the guy claimed he would call back and didn't. Hmmmmm.

No Internet except at work :(

As far as I know if Teksavvy submits a service call to the ISP they're riding on (Rogers or Bell) there's a service charge to send the guy out. From what I've read on DSLReports Bell/Rogers also send their techs to their own customers first before sending them out to third-party ISP customers' homes.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Go to their "Direct" forum on the DSLReports forums and make a post there: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect.

They're experiencing some pretty big growing pains right now, so their phone support is a little hit-or-miss. You'll definitely get the help you need in their Direct forum.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Guitarchitect posted:

Wow - you guys are really customer service experts, and really know how to seduce new customers. :rolleyes: Why does everyone rave about them again?

While there are many people that are having problems with Teksavvy, Bell/Rogers can't give me this for $55 a month:

If I was still with Rogers this would cost me at least $120 a month ($70 a month plus $50 overage charges).

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Constellation I posted:

I'm hoping that going with TekSavvy doing the transfer of service on the day of disconnection will avoid that issue entirely.

You shouldn't have any problems at all. When I cancelled with Rogers I gave them my 30 days notice, then immediately called up Teksavvy to tell them the date I cancelled on and they made that the activation date. Absolutely no problems the day of, just plugged in the modem and it worked.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

NerdPolice posted:

Anyway probably going to get my roommate to switch to TekSavvy but debating between cable and DSL. My own experiences have all been with cable, and my address ony shows the 15/1 package with a 300 GB cap offered. Is it safer, with TekSavvy, to simply go with cable and get either the 18/0.512 or 28/1 package? Never having dealt with the company, this city/province, or DSL has me unsure.

Hi London buddy! :hfive:

I've got Teksavvy's unlimited package a year ago after switching from Rogers, and I haven't had a single problem. From all my dealings with Rogers and Bell, the infrastructure/technicians that Rogers has is much better than what Bell has. It's incredibly easy to run a new line to a cable modem as compared to trying to fix lovely phone wiring/convincing Bell that the wiring it bad.

With that said, definitely get the 300GB cable package. The nice thing is if you exceed it they just bump you up to the next tier (unlimited) and just charge the difference, there are no actual "overage" fees.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Teksavvy uses Rogers for their last-mile, so if your Rogers connection has been reliable Teksavvy should be equally so.

With that said, Teksavvy in London has been absolutely rock-solid for me. I've had them for about three years now and I can only recount a few times where there was an unexpected service outage, and of those only one lasted longer than a half-hour. They just rolled out new infrastructure in London to support their new ATPIA packages and I haven't had any problems with it.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

kiwid posted:

That's not Zap the Cap, that feature has been around forever. Zap the Cap is a brand new feature that will lower your bandwidth during peak hours. In return, you get an unlimited cap. So for example, I have Cable 20/2. They will lower my cable speed to a max of 9mbit/s during 8pm to 12am.

https://myaccount.teksavvy.com/

Go there and either sign up or log in.

So if I'm reading their forum posts correctly, if I got 150/10, every day from 8pm-12am my speeds would be reduced to 75/10, but I'd be guaranteed zero overages? If that's the case $87 a month versus $220 seems to be much more enticing.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

EngineerJoe posted:

They also have zap-the-cap which, while not for everyone, is a fairly innovative way to let people manage their own usage.

Yup, getting unlimited service for the same price as a capped tier is a great incentive for customers, and it also helps Teksavvvy reduce their (ridiculous) UBB costs. Before ZTC we were monitoring usage via the router, here's what three people with Netflix and Steam can do when not having to worry about usage (minor hiccup in May):

code:
eth1  /  monthly
       month        rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
    ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
      Mar '14    291.32 GiB |   26.31 GiB |  317.63 GiB |  994.79 kbit/s
      Apr '14    447.03 GiB |   27.97 GiB |  474.99 GiB |    1.54 Mbit/s
      May '14     25.95 GiB |    1.15 GiB |   27.10 GiB |   84.87 kbit/s
      Jun '14    813.84 GiB |   28.99 GiB |  842.83 GiB |    2.73 Mbit/s
      Jul '14    466.97 GiB |   24.66 GiB |  491.63 GiB |    2.19 Mbit/s
    ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
    estimated    663.21 GiB |   35.02 GiB |  698.22 GiB |

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Not only that but it sounds like the majority of it will just be the poo poo programming you'd get with a regular cable subscription, albeit for a lot less (unless you need one to access this).

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

infernal machines posted:

They've been taken down at the moment but they were sold through TPIA for at least six months now. They don't actually require the 24 channel DOCSIS 3 modems to work, but Rogers is refusing new activations without them.

Yup, I was lucky enough to get a SB6141 through before all this happened. All the upcoming 24+ channel modems I've seen have been gateway combos, which I'd like to avoid if possible. Here's hoping they're just as easy to bridge as the CGN3.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Volguus posted:

Surprisingly, now looking at Start.ca they don't offer 150Mbps plan anymore. Weird.

That's because:

37th Chamber posted:

As far as I know, all 150Mbps packages aren't being sold by TPIA (I know TekSavvy isn't for sure) in Rogers territories until 24 channel cable modems are certified/being sold. Old installs/modems have been grandfathered in, but all new installs need the new modems which have yet to see the light of day.

TPIAs are not allowed to offer 150/10 until Rogers certifies a modem for them. Kind of anti-competitive since this leaves TPIAs without any packages past 60Mbps.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

37th Chamber posted:

Also, to expand on this, 150Mbps+ packages are a HUGE risk for TPIA with the current CBB pricing, they're lucky to make any money off you even with a 300GB cap depending when you consume data (aka: gently caress off during prime time please). And as much as I love supporting the little guy, before they pulled the packages, they were (generally) more expensive than the incumbent package (even more so if you talk your way in to a sweet retention deal), with the additional bonus of getting first-party support that'll drag its feet a bit less for its own customers.

Even when the modems are certified, I'd be surprised to see any 150Mbps or higher plans return to any TPIA provider before the CRTC deals with rates.

Oh yeah, capacity-based billing really threw a wrench into their wheels. Though Teksavvy implemented a really ingenious thing called "Zap the Cap" in which they'll slow down your connection during their peak time (8pm to 12am) in exchange for unlimited bandwidth. So my 150/10 connection drops to 15/10, but I don't have to worry about my usage, and I pay the same price as the 300GB tier and not the $200-something they wanted for the full unlimited tier.

And the only reason incumbent packages are looking "good" right now is because of the TPIAs creating competition and enabling us lowly Canadians to "stick it" to Rogers and Bell.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

YggiDee posted:

I'm not even mad when Youtube is slow, we're using a local ISP with unlimited bandwidth so I accept that it isn't very fast. What annoys me is the little blue pop up underneath- "Are you having interruptions? Want to know why?" I already know why, Youtube, It's because I'm in Canada. I don't need your smug rear end to tell me that.

Are you running YouTube Center? You could play around with DASH playback and custom buffering to see if that helps at all.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

cowofwar posted:

Everyone has clambered on to the fiber marketing bus. Whether they call it fibe, or hybrid-fiber it is generally bullshit. If it's not last mile fiber optics then it's not fiber. My water company can't claim that I can get 4,000L/s flow rates on my taps because there is a huge pipe somewhere upstream so I'm not sure why Rogers/Bell is allowed to claim that their lovely copper/coax last mile is fiber just because the node has a fiber optic uplink. Probably because their marketing is always careful to indicate that the advertised speed is the "maximum speed" - not sure why that is tolerated either. In no other industry is service defined as the maximum - it is defined as the minimum. Some factory doesn't care about your ability to deliver up to 2MW of power, it cares about whether you can deliver reliably the 100KW of power it requires for day to day operation.

I spent a good part of my holidays explaining this to family members. Some are still on some really bad grandfathered connections from Bell/Rogers (think 10Mb/768Kb for $70 or more) and want to go with Netflix/Hulu.

Been doing a bunch of reading and our true fibre options are basically either move into a spiffy building that has a symmetrical connection like slush, move to Muskoka, or wait until at least 2030.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Jan posted:

:cripes:

Is it too much to ask to have a symmetrical connection? I don't need more than 10-20Mbps down, but this 1.5Mbps up that comes with it is making me dread any asset change when working remotely.

Docsis is designed for higher customer download speeds than uploads, unfortunately. Generally the higher speed tiers have a greater upload just to accommodate all the ACKs you'll be sending out when downloading at 150+Mbps. Some DSL providers do 25/10 (or more), but you're much more at the mercy of bad phone lines and your distance from their equipment to actually get the advertised speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if we still get lovely speeds and bandwidth caps on fibre connections from the incumbents, though. Hopefully the CRTC will open them up to TPIAs.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Yeah, PIA is your best bet. You get multiple tunnels (I believe it's three) and speeds are pretty decent (anywhere from 20-50 Mbps depending on the server). You won't be maxing out a 100+Mbps connection, but it's fine for background downloads/torrents. They also don't log any traffic, so even if requested they can't give out customer information on who downloads what since it doesn't exist.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm right at the edge of cutting my cable, and I can just imagine the bullshit that is going to flow from the retention reps mouth.

It's gonna be great!

Oh yeah, it's especially great when they call you every few days trying to get you back. We switched off Bell POTS ($50 a month for a single number and voicemail) to VOIP (averaging $7 a month for all the features) and Bell hounded us for weeks. Blacklisted all the numbers their retentions used and they only recently stopped sending us flyers with terrible package deals.

Hoping the TPIAs get access to that sweet fiber they're rolling out, though. 250/250 unlimited at a fixed rate is actually a step in the right direction for them.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Shumagorath posted:

I am using vendor firmware - I had to upgrade it off a USB stick just to get VLAN tagging working.

I'm back to 500/120 after putting the switch and R7000 back in line (and finding out that Bell reset my PPPoE password during troubleshooting). Right now it's a choice between having a ~48% speed reduction and a network I can fully trust won't be vulnerable to a flaw in Bell's remote management interface, or 100% of the speed I'm paying for and a $300 R7000 acting as a basic wireless AP so I can get my 5GHz. I think I'll take the former.

The Edgerouter Lite has had PPPoE offloading since last year (v. 1.5.0 firmware), maybe check that out? It should get you close to wire-speed if the offloading is properly configured.

They also recently announced their refreshed Unifi AP lineup, one of which is dual-band AC for only $89. Those two would make a good pair.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Good news for us with TPPs: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/big-internet-providers-must-open-fibre-networks-to-competitors-crtc/article25633317/

Now we have to wait for rate changes, because as mentioned by Teksavvy, the current model of CBB has rates that would make it too expensive.

Also:

quote:

Major Internet providers warned the commission during the hearing that mandating access to fibre services would create a disincentive to them investing in such infrastructure in the first place.
Get hosed, this kind of logic is why Canada is a digital backwater in the first place.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

infernal machines posted:

Oh man, eight pages of meltdown. The TSI guys are taking it like champs though and at least sticking around to answer questions.

Despite eight years with Teksavvy I've just submitted my Rogers 250u order, because this is just a bit too much. At this point even my general preference for indie ISPs and absolute loathing of Rogers isn't enough to cover for the fact that TSI have slower speeds at higher prices, data caps, spotty support, and now throttling "network management". Oh and the bullshit where you're forced to spend $100+ buy a modem that they won't re-provision a month later when it's no longer supported.

I was a pretty big advocate of theirs for a while, but man they're looking rough these days.

I'm in the exact same boat. Currently on Teksavvy's grandfathered 150/15 package for $98 (w/tax) with Zap the Cap to make it unlimited. Since I'm running a SB6141 I wouldn't be able to switch to their 100/10 package without a new modem ($205) and I'd be paying $8 more a month for SLOWER service with some QoS going on.

And like you said, I'd sooner pay Rogers the extra $8 for a 250/20 connection with better support (if ever needed), no caps (in my case not having ZtC to slow my connection every night would be nice), and not having to buy another modem (from what I've seen there's no BYoD to get a discount, might as well rent one).

poo poo situation all around but I'm not about to subject myself to a lesser service for higher prices. That's why I originally left Rogers in the first place.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
If I had to hazard a guess they'd be focusing on the apartments/condos outside downtown where they can wire up that many more units at once. I can't see proper FTTH for the older SFH subdivisions for a while yet.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

StealthArcher posted:

Unblock-us is officially blocked despite any efforts on my part in Northern Ontario. Can't speak for anywhere else, but yeah, now I gotta figure out what to reccommend my parents, they've been on this by my rec. since 2011. :sigh:

slidebite posted:

I wasn't getting a VPN error with netflix, but I noticed my adfreetime wasn't giving me US content anymore so I cancelled my acct with them.

I'll give straight up Canadian content a try for a while, but I do miss the TV series the US side had.

It's going to be tricky. I thought about running my own VPS and piping Netflix through that, but from some quick research it sounds like Netflix is just blacklisting any IP associated with a datacenter.

less than three posted:

I received a postcard in my mailbox from Novus. Turns out they're in my building! Internet and basic TV at @ $30/mo for 12 months, no contract.

I called them on Tuesday, they came and installed it Thursday.

:asoiaf:

Jealous, though that asymetrical upload would bug me. Waiting on backups or legitimate file access via VPN sucks with these low uploads.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

less than three posted:

It varies depending on which server I test to. It's theoretically supposed to be 1000/1000 I think. Though I'm not exactly complaining if I can get 600/400 realistically out of it.

Ah, that makes more sense, then. I just figured if they can send you 1Gbps over fibre then what's stopping them from recieving it as well (since it doesn't have limitations like Docsis).

ToxicFrog posted:

Jesus christ, I wish I lived in an area where 100Mbps counted as "low upload" :argh:

Hey now, I'm barely making by with 25 Mbps upload right now, so I'm in the same boat. I was just pointing out that for a 1Gbps connection it was awfully low. There really is no excuse as to why in TYOOL 2016 we still don't have symmetrical connections of at least 200Mbps, especially with all these new cloud providers who require the upload.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Migishu posted:

Nooo, Tunlr got detected :(

Doing some more reading, it appears they're not going after IPv6 yet? https://www.ubermotive.com/?p=344

I was going to give it a shot in the next few days, as it seems pretty promising.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

EngineerJoe posted:

Holy hell this is a hot deal for Internet in Rogers land:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-rogers-ignite-gigabit-digital-vip-lava-hot-99-month-1992061/

Rogers Ignite GIGABIT (1gbps down, 50mbps up)
Rogers Digital VIP (365+ channels)
Unlimited Usage
Modem Included
HDPVR Included
Shomi Subscription (2yrs)
NHL GCL Subscription (1yr)
$99/mo for 2 years

Deal with the devil and all that. I'm paying over 80/mo for 100mbps with rogers and I don't have any tv whatsover so it's tempting. 2 year term.

Goes to show you what (absolutely minimal) competition and cord-cutting can do. It's for new activations only, so they must really want their numbers back up.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Not sure about that, but you can disable the wifi.

If the modem/router supports bridge mode absolutely put it into that, as double NAT-ing just makes things more difficult. I had a Rogers tech out when I switched back from Teksavvy and he just told me that turning off the wifi will put it into bridge mode (even though there's an option on the main page of the config). I feel bad for all those less-technically inclined that are now having issues with their game consoles yelling at them that their NAT is strict due to this.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Anyone familiar with how TPIAs buy their throughput/bandwidth from the incumbents? Is it fixed to matching download & upload blocks, or can it be asymmetrical? When looking at the ETA for my backups to get to ACD I was just pondering how well a TPIA provider would do that had higher uploads and lower(ish) downloads. This would appeal to those that need it for cloud-based applications (like photo editors) you hear about in the news when they talk about our third-world infrastructure.

I know DOCSIS is inherently designed to favour downloads, but there's gotta be more room than 20-50mbps that we're getting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc:

How are independents not massively losing money on every connection at that pricing? If Bell charges TSI $1,400 for 100Mbps, it seems like the 25Mbps connection I'm paying ~$50/mo for should instead cost around $350/mo. Are those prices per year instead of per month or something?

Good on the CRTC for finally doing their loving jobs.

My understanding is that they're paying for the peak capacity that they can spread out among customers, and are betting that their customers won't all at once use their connections to the fullest.

Similar to over-selling, except I remember Teksavvy was generally pretty good at keeping their network from becoming congested.