Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a choice IPS 4K monitor with G-Sync? Are there any? Everything I see is a TN panel. Yes I realize it would be expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

There are no 4K IPS free/gsync monitors. Several announced but none in the wild right now; I spent a few hours searching on my phone today to pass the time.

Edit: what's even crazier is there's no Dell brand free/gsync monitors currently or announced. Strange for being the world's number one monitor seller.

This stuff changes quickly but the LG 27MU67-B monitor is 4k, IPS, and free-sync.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ijyt posted:

Is ASUS support really that bad? I really would prefer the GSync for gaming but I might go Dell if their support is awful.

Though there might be a difference between the US and EU divisions?

I once had to RMA an asus laptop 4 times.

One time when it was at their facility to replace a fan due to bad bearing, someone there used my cookies that I didn't think to clear to access my email, attempt to gain access to my different accounts such as paypal etc. ASUS never responded to my questions about this or acknowledged anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cheaper on amazon.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mersh posted:

So what would someone who's looking to build a new gaming rig, getting a 980ti, playing planetside 2 look for in a monitor? The mass amount of research/reading I've done has brought me into a push pull fight between 1440p/144hz and 4k, and down between Acer XB270HU and Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, or something completely different?

If you're playing FPS games get a 144hz 1440p monitor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

60->100hz is a huge difference. 100->144 is probably 'half' as noticeable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Is there any competition for this (ie 1440 g-sync ips and ~27") coming down the pipe at all?

The 4k g-sync ips comes to mind.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I got a ASUS VS239H and I think it's pretty sweet.

The only thing is the sound. I have it plugged into my GTX 760 with HDMI and the sound will cut out when it think it's too quiet. I can't find anyway to override this behavior as it gets really annoying when I have my headphones in. Movies don't always have sound going and it's jarring when the sound has to come back up with a pop after a pause. Any ideas?

IMO headphones should be plugged into the motherboard out (or sound card), not your monitor. Have the latest drivers? Try turning off extraneous features in your Realtek panel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just so y'all know Newegg is having the Dell U3415W Curved Ultrawide on sale again for $699/$649 after MIR+Free shipping with the code EMCKAKS26.

That's a great deal but who the hell thought this was appealing, how could you ever play like this

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the system building thread or here, but it's largely monitor-based, so here goes:

I'm building a new PC for work and gaming (games of note on my radar are Witcher 3, Cities Skylines and the recent Total War titles). I prefer the 16:10 ratio, and currently use a 1920x1200 screen (Dell U2410), but I thought it might be nice for both the aforementioned purposes to go up to 2560x1600. However, my concern is the extra horsepower draw.

Question 1. From a gaming point of view, is the resolution jump worth the extra resource drain? Am I better off staying with my current resolution and enjoying better framerates and max settings for longer, or should I take the jump up?

Bear in mind I can make the system pretty beefy if I want; I am looking at a new Skylake i7 with a GTX 980, maybe a Ti or Titan... maybe even two cards in SLI if advised to do so for smoother 2560×1600.

Question 2. I believe there were supposed to be some IPS screens coming out this year with decent response times. Any such monitors with native 2560×1600 to be aware of?

Thanks guys. I need to resolve this soon, as my current machine is on its last legs and threatening to die any moment.

Question 1: All you need is a single card, a 980ti. And yes it's worth playing at the higher res. A single 980ti will have no problems powering your games past 60fps at 2560x1600. Any other card will struggle by itself (any cheaper card).

I don't know about what's out there for those monitors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Good point. I veer towards strategy and RPG, so that's a point in favour of upsizing resolution.

So it sounds like as long as I go really high end card-wise, performance at 2560x1600 shouldn't be a problem for a while. Think I might genuinely consider SLI this time round. Either Ti or Titan cards. Someone will probably tell me the latter is overkill.

Hmm. The U2410 is not exactly a gaming monitor and I've never found it too problematic. Possibly in part because of the abovementioned genre preferences. I'd probably rather keep that extra bit of screen real estate than go for 2560x1440 with better gaming specs.

Leaving aside response time/refresh rate, what does the thread generally recommend in terms of 2560x1600 monitors?

I just said you only need a single 980ti, why would you SLI for that resolution? It's pointless.

e: You also play the type of games which require the least GPU power.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Witcher 3 is not GPU intensive? I've found the last two Elder Scrolls games to be heavy going too. I take the general point, though. Maybe I just have too much concern about the resource requirements of that resolution. So no reason to think I would be glad of the SLI in the future? I'd like to keep the performance up for a long time. I suppose if I need to there would probably be something to replace the 980ti with down the line.

What monitors should I consider, then? Is the U3014 a good bet?

In all honesty if you want more power down the line picking up another 980ti and using SLI would probably be the best option (in the coming years). I know this stuff grows exponentially but it's hard to imagine what might require more than 2 SLI 980ti's.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does a good IPS 4K panel with g-sync exist?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Until there is a g-sync IPS 4K panel I'd say TN has it's uses.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Out of curiosity what 4k monitor would this thread recommend for gaming with price as basically not a consideration (max around $1000)?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I wouldn't get a 4k screen for gaming at all compared to either the 144hz 27" 2560s or 34" ultrawide 3440 * 1440. The high refresh just does a hell of a lot more to improve the experience than 4k does. Not to mention the GPU requirements.

The only "gaming" TN panel is the 28" flavor with gsync from Acer, but it's TN, and 28" tn is loving garbage because you'll have color shift looking at the screen straight on. Never get TN anything over 24 inches.

If you just want good 4k screens, the HP Z27s and Dell P2715q are both good and clock in around 600$ depending on sales.

I guess I'm conflicted because I play a lot of games that I would be able to push at max settings at 4K with my single 980ti (league of legends, sc2, WoW, etc).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I play a lot of blizzard games that are relatively easy to push, too, and 4k just didn't offer any kind of dramatic image quality/sharpness increase for me while gaming to make it worth giving up 144hz/gsync at 2560 * 1440.

I think I'd feel differently if I'd gone straight from my previous monitor (Dell u3014) to a 4k screen, since I wouldn't have really known what I was missing in terms of the high refresh stuff.

I've got both the HP Z27s and the Acer XB270hu for reference. I still have the 3014 too, it's just relegated to not even being turned on half the time.

That's really useful actually, thanks for posting. What would the thread recommend right now for a 2560x1440 IPS panel with g-sync and 144hz? Is that acer basically the best thing out there? I'm in Canada and don't want to go through a roulette of Amazon returns with Korean monitors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That Acer is the only one out there with those specs right now. ASUS has their own version that is technically out already but good luck finding one and Acer has a new model of their version coming out soon. Anyway, you should probably wait a bit and see how those turn out before buying anything.

Thanks for the advice. I just want to play fallout 4 basically.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bioalchemist posted:

I've being using a 40' cheap Samsung as my only monitor for the last couple of years and usage sounds exactly like yours. It may depend on the TV but black won't quite black and you'll need to turn on v sync for everything other than that I think it great. Gaming on a 40' screen turns you into a size fiend though :clint: I tried to use a smaller actual computer monitor a few months ago and ended up sending it back after a couple of days because I couldn't deal with the smaller size.

Also if you want to use a controller for gaming I got a steam controller a week ago and it works great for those game that don't support a xbox controller.

For what it's worth most people playing competitive games or even just anything beyond take-your-time kind of stuff would find it very difficult to play well with a 40" monitor if you're sitting at the normal desk distance away from it. The issue is that the information on the screen that you need to quickly reference is too far apart and from where your vision is normally centered.

The poster above who wants to just get an HDTV would be better served to just get a laptop that he can put on a table for doing his budgeting on and then bring over and connect to the TV with an HDMI to play games on with a USB or bluetooth controller/mouse/keyboard. If he's willing to play games from his couch to be honest he's not really into the kind of gaming most of us are anyways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Do any of you have recommendations on a reliable G-sync monitor? I've been using a single Dell U2311H which has served me well, but would lke to try a dual monitor setup. I don't care as much about image quality as the U2311H is an IPS and is very crisp so i can just stream stuff on that display--rather I'm more interested in reliability, reasonable price, and decent resolution (1080p or higher), and of course the presence of G-Sync as I'd like to use this one for gaming.

I've been eyeballing an Acer-XB240H but the reviews indicate that hardware problems aren't uncommon. Should I go for it, or does anyone have a better suggestion?

I assume you're gaming, why wouldn't you care about image quality on the display you're gaming on?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dy. posted:

I just noticed that the Acer XB271hu is up on NCIX for pre-order with a release date of 11/18.

'The final price is subject to change'. Kinda makes me nervous to commit to buy something when I don't even know the price.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I like the extra HDMI input and thin bezels on the XB271HU over the XB27HU but do you guys really see anything there that makes it worth $200 more? Right now I'm tempted to just pick up the older model.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are there any actual reviews out for the xb1 HU replacement?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Odette posted:

No, it's not even out.

The curved ultrawide also isn't out and has review copies making the rounds.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Would you guys buy an XB270HU if you weren't really able to return it more than once? I don't think NCIX allows serial returns and anything past the 30 day return time would be just Acer RMA. I'm not convinced that the xb1 version is going to be out soon and it sounds like the QC problems are pretty awful.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you think it would be reasonable to ask them to turn on the panel prior to my purchasing it? I'm not really sure how I would arrange that and I can understand them being reluctant to open the packaging. How is Acer's RMA for the backlight bleed?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Picked up my XB270HU and oh man it's so nice. I can't find any dead pixels and the IPS backlight bleed seems super minor - noticeable only with the screen unplugged. Couldn't be happier.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ThatOneGuy posted:

After a lot of hemming and hawing, decided to just gamble on the Acer monitors instead. Decent warranty if they aren't broken right off the bat, may as well.

The Microcenter near me has both the Acer 270HU bprz and some 980 Ti cards in stock. And with more than 5 of the monitors in stock, I should get one that isn't broken! Eventually!

Also the price on these went up $100 suddenly across the board. Even the refurb ones are now $699.

My XB270HU that I just bought a couple days ago is perfect. Maybe QC is improved.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dy. posted:

Out of curiosity: why not wait for the 271 or 279Q? I ask because I am waiting for my local Microcenter to get one in stock and every day of my life is a struggle to not buy the 270.

A mixture of not wanting to wait, not wanting to pay more, tales of QC problems with other xb1 monitors, uncertainty to when exactly that panel is even coming out, and figured I'd save the $ in the difference between the monitors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vancouver here. I've never seen a decent sale on any product that is newly on the market/desirable. I'd be surprised if any of the good monitors were marked down more than the usual 10-15% which you see off and on through the year anyways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KYCSRSG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

BenQ GW2765HT marked down 42% off. Is this a decent deal/good monitor or not worth it? It's going for $488 CAD. Checking for a friend who will be driving it with a 970.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When I use in-game console tools to set my max FPS down to 100hz from 144hz I can barely tell the difference. This is in CSGO. I notice it barely but if I had the option of saving 200 bucks or something but being limited to 100hz I would have saved the money.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

zarg posted:

Can anyone offer any thoughts on the 144hz 1440p IPS market at the moment?

I see three real options there: The $1100 PG279Q, the $950 XB270HU, and the$750 MG279Q.

But... can anyone share their experiences with the above 3 monitors? Specifically, is the panel quality really different between the MG279Q and the PG279Q, or is that cost difference mostly G-Sync markup?

I'd also welcome general thoughts!

I've only ever seen the one I bought, the xb270HU and I love it to death. If you can afford to blow a thousand dollars on a monitor you can afford the G-sync models, just save up another couple days.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We gotta stop invading oil countries and find out where they're making these panels.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

zarg posted:

Thanks everyone for your input re: the PG279Q vs the XB270HU vs the MG279Q

My pricing is in CAD, which is why they're a higher - should have said that up front. Our dollar is pretty weak right now!

Hah, yeah that's the real rub. I'm AMD right now, (7970) but I'm tentatively planning to switch to NVidia when their new GPUs launch in Q1 2016.

Unfortunately the best time to buy a monitor is probably black Friday or Boxing Day, meaning I'll very likely have to choose my monitor before I get enough details about the new GPUs to be sure if I'm switching! :(

I'll probably end up assuming I'll switch and going with a g-sync model... probably.

If you're in Vancouver and want a hands-on look at the XB270HU before dropping a thousand dollars shoot me a PM. I bought it blind and was kinda nervous about it since you can't really go and see these on display anywhere.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Besides the Acer 4k/144hz/G-Sync monitor is there a decent 4k IPS high refresh rate monitor (like more than 60hz but not necessarily 144hz)? I thought there was a 100hz offering but I can't find it anywhere.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Katreus posted:

Why is IPS so important? Is it more important than the resolution? Every time I hear about it, I hear about backlight too on the screen.

But I'm not willing to pay more than 400 for a monitor... I've been eyeing this https://m.newegg.com/products/0JC-0004-00551?ignorebbr=1

Is this ok at this price?

TN= lovely when you aren't looking at it straight on ie. in the corners of the screen.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whitest Russian posted:

Bringing my post back if someones got any input.

It's personal preference but the 1440p higher refresh rate widescreen monitors seem really nice. I'd be tempted to do something like that next. You should replace your monitors unless you're getting a single really nice monitor, then you can use one or both of the old ones as secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

my advice to anybody thats hesitant about the dell TN 1440/144/gsync would be to grab it from a place w a return policy and try it out

i suspect you wont return it

How does that compare in cost to the XB27HU or whatever?