Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anyone know where to get cheap DP to HDMI cables? Looks like the cheapest in Mono Price even with shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024607&p_id=6011&seq=1&format=2
Keep in mind this is DP -> HDMI and will not work for HDMI -> DP. As in, you need the DP output on your video card and the HDMI input on your monitor, not the other way around.

Monoprice.com pretty much is the answer to the "where do I get cables?" question, though.

Okay I'm actually looking for an HDMI->DP cable as I have a ATI 4850 and I'm expecting a U2311H.

Another quick question, since I have a 4850 which doesn't have EyeFinity what happens if I stick HDMI into my 46" TV, a VGA cable into my 2001FP and then a DVI cable into the U2311H? Will it refuse to work at all or will it decide on which 2 inputs to use?

Edit: Okay I'm a bit confused... if they're both male connectors why wouldn't it work with an HDMI connector on the video card and a DP connector on the monitor?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 11, 2011

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

There are HDMI -> DP adapters, but they're like $100 or so. The reason is this: DP and HDMI/DVI are not signal-compatible the way HDMI and DVI are. That is, the actual video signal in an HDMI and DVI connection are the same, the major differences are the physical shape of the connectors and that HDMI has some audio lines running with it, too, so it's easy to convert between the two, since nothing needs to be done to the signal--just gotta line up the right pins and you're good. DP is a whole different beast, and isn't signal-compatible at all. You can (usually) go DP -> HDMI/DVI easily because the video-card itself will detect what you're trying to do and do the signal conversion for you. But HDMI/DVI outputs are physically incapable of doing the conversion required to produce a DP signal, so you'd need an external box to do that, which turns out to be pretty pricey.

EyeFinity works by leveraging the DP output(s) to allow for more than two monitors at once. Minus a DP output, you will be limited to the usual two concurrent displays. If you did manage to get three displays connected, only two would function.

What all are you trying to connect up to the U2311H, anyhow? I suspect that the proper solution for you is either going to simply be manually swapping cables, or buying a cheap HDMI switch like this $16 one.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm essentially connecting a U2311H to a ATI Radeon 4850. The U2311H apparently has a DP instead of an HDMI port so I may have to end up connecting it through DVI and connect my old 2001FP to VGA. :(

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Just got my U2311H in. And it really is amazing how much brighter and clearer it is than my old 2001FP. Obviously expected some difference but not this.

Only thing I don't like is because its a 16:9 screen the height is actually smaller than the 2001FP :|

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Trash Heap posted:

Probably going to pull the trigger on the U2311H 23", but wanted to double check some things.

1) Is the best route to just buy through Dell? Any coupon sites I should check? I seem to recall Dell often has deals/sales.

2) I am building a new computer (for gaming) and will most likely be buying a ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 video card. According to the stickied computer parts thread, this card should suffice. Do I need to buy any extra cables? Hook this up with DVI?

Thanks in advance.
Just follow DealMeIn (Goon run by Dr Eldarion) or SlickDeals or watch in the Coupons forum here.

They recently had a sale on eBay ~$200 for one before tax/recycle fees. The seller was Dell though. They'll probably never sell them at this price point again but if you're not in a rush I'd rather wait for better deals.

This coupon may still work, gives you 10% off which according to them is $251.10
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2553817

Also the U2311H comes with both a DVI and VGA cable which works with that card. That card also has support for DisplayPort, which is the supported high-end plug on the U2311H so if you want that buy a DP cable.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

PelvicThrust posted:

Yes, I'm using an adapter with a VGA cable right now. I just didn't know if both of them had to be DVI or something. That clears it up though, thanks! I may buy the UltraSharp tomorrow :fap:

Running a DVI and a VGA is easy. Just plug them in, right click and goto screen resolution (or Properties in XP) and then configure how you want the monitors to be setup.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Belligerent Monk posted:

So in my search for a good deal on either a U2311H OR U2410, I came across a local guy near Long Beach selling brand new, factory sealed U2410's for $380. I bought one last night and it works perfectly.

He has more, and I'm not sure how much the shipping would be across country, but if anyone wanted one I could probably make it happen.

Contact info? Where did you find this guy and why does he have them?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Belligerent Monk posted:

I found him on craigslist. He buys them in bulk and sells them out of his apartment. I showed up there and saw about a dozen boxes neatly stacked in his living room. A label on the outside of my box says "BOX 55 of 200", so I'm guessing that he personally knows the guy making these big orders, and buys them at a nice price from him.

The one thing is, I'm not sure about the warranty. He couldn't tell me if it was 1 year or 3 year, and I called Dell this morning to find out, but they needed an invoice number or service tag number. So I emailed the guy and I'm waiting to find out.

My email is lee355@gmail.com, I plan on finding out all of the details before anything, but it's not a big deal for me to pick these up and drop them off at the post office, I wouldn't even need to package anything.

e: service tag number, not work order number. Also, wow, it's really nice going from a 12" netbook screen to this.

I'm in LA and I'm willing to drive down. I don't really see his post on CL though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I have a folding table similar to this one as my computer desk.

http://www.costco.com/Iceberg-Premium-Wood-Laminate-30%22-x-96%22-Mahogany-Folding-Table-.product.11317402.html

I want to buy a monitor arm to hang the 21:9 monitor I'm buying. Will it work? It's hard to see in that pic but the table top itself is pretty thin and about an inch in it hits a metal base.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Just got my 34UM94 today. Worse because of my cellphone camera. According to Anti-Hero it seems to be IPS glow and I can't really see it without turning the entire screen black. That white spec is just my camera reflecting.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Maybe this doesn't belong in this thread, so if it doesn't please direct me to the proper thread for this.

I tried to watch The Rock on Blu-Ray last night on my 21:9 monitor. According to the back it is "1080p High Def / 2.35:1" I looked it up on IMDB and it also says it's 2.35:1. My monitor's resolution is 3440x1440 which is about 2.38:1. So this means there should be only about 2% of the screen filled with black bars. But when I run the Blu-Ray on VLC I get pretty big black bars and some slight stretching. I tried fiddling with the VLC settings but they didn't do too much.

So I can't really tell if the Blu-Ray itself is generating the bars, so maybe someone can give me a definitive answer on that but that seems like a terrible idea to add them into the movie instead of letting your player handle it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Anyone with the 34UM94-P have problems when your computer comes out of sleep mode? When I wake it up the screen is extremely jumpy. It looks like how TV shows and movies make monitors look like when they get "hacked". Not sure how else to explain it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The Yellow Ant posted:

I have the curved version, and it used to do that. Sort of a streaky vertical interlacing problem? It hasn't happened in a while. My computer is set to turn off the displays, but never fully sleep itself. I turned DisplayPort 1,2 off in the monitor's menu about when the problems stopped happening, so maybe start there?

Well they were horizontal but sounds like it otherwise. I'm guessing you can't really patch monitors right?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You're free to try and get it for that price (and I doubt anyone here wouldn't try) but no one is going to sympathize with you that you didn't get it. They offered you $125 for their mistake. They literally could have just said, "tough poo poo, pricing mistake" and hung up on you. But instead they offered free money to you and you refused.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The 34UM94/95 series of monitors are really nice, but I am seriously considering returning it to NewEgg.

It's OSD UX is atrocious. It is that bad that I'm considering returning this beautiful monitor because of it.

The OSD is loving slow. I don't know who designed it, but certainly not anyone who actually uses a monitor. It's a small little joystick like nipple button that is at the bottom of the screen and sticks out, so you have to remember not to lay the monitor flat without the stand lest you gently caress up the button sticking out.

Clicking on it and waiting for a response from the OSD takes loving forever. So you don't know if it accepted your click or not. And of course when the menu shows up while you reclick again, the default on the menu when you click is to exit the screen. Repeat.

Controls are unintuitively bad initially. You click the button and you are suppose to move in the 4 directions to move through the menu, but since the button is perpendicular to the monitor, are you suppose to move the nipple towards you to go down or does that make it go up? If you move the nipple away from you are you selecting the top menu option or the bottom menu option? This is not that bad though once you get use to it but it underlies the terrible UX of the OSD

You cannot put your computer to sleep and shut off your monitor without waiting for the monitor to "turn off" from you putting the computer to sleep. What I mean is, you have to wait for the monitor to go into the, "no connection available" grey screen before you can actually activate the monitor again to tell it to turn off. I would usually let the monitor "sleep" but it has a loving annoying flash white light when there it is on and there is no connection so there is no way to turn it off. So if you have this thing near your bed, it will annoy the poo poo out of you. And of course there's no way to turn this blinking off.

This may not seem annoying except before when I had my old Dell monitor, I would just click sleep in Windows, hit ONE button and I could go to sleep. Now if I click sleep in Windows, then after I get the "no connection" screen (which itself is not immediate), I can click on the nipple button, wait for the menu (which takes a long time to pop up), then remember which direction to move the nipple to select "Monitor off" (towards you is down, btw) because if you choose the wrong menu option you'll have to wait FOREVER to get the next menu item and then to cancel and go back to the original menu system.

And then there is still some bug with the firmware where if I come out of sleep mode it will crap out and the monitor will start making its strange blurry lines. I have no idea how to fix this and I have turned off the DisplayPort 1.2 option that people suggested and it worked for a while until it happened to me yesterday. I ended up rebooting my entire system just to get it back to normal. I still have no clue what causes this.

The monitor is loving gorgeous, but everytime I turn it on I have to pray the monitor is still fine. And BTW, because of a Windows 7 issue if you wake it up sometimes it thinks your monitor had a 1024x768 screen and it causes all your windows to shrink up to the left of your monitor. This makes it super annoying because 1024x768 is a tiny rear end size on this monitor so you're constantly grabbing at windows and trying to resize them.

These issues really are _that_ bad. I've had it now for almost the month and it drives me crazy. Especially the one time I woke it up from sleep mode and the monitor told me there was no connection from my DisplayPort even though it was plugged in. Worse off, I couldn't switch to HDMI, DVI or VGA to "fix" the issue. I again had to hard reset from my computer case to get any display again from DP.

In short, this monitor is gorgeous, but the UX is loving terrible. I wouldn't say the UX on my Dell 2311H was "awesome" but at least it was pretty easy to figure out and was responsive. This UX is so bad I bothered to write this huge post about it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The huge screen in AT&T Stadium in Dallas is an LED display...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Looking for some advice/considerations.

Current setup is a 970, w/ a Dell 2311H running at 1080p.

Generally the primary game I play right now is Overwatch, Hitman, and I'm about to go back and play XCOM2 again. I do watch a lot of TV shows/movies.

Looking for IPS, 1080 or 1440 60hz is fine, but interested in how much more 120/144hz requires. Doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles. Basically looking for something to tide me over until the next graphic card cycle (or the one after that) comes around.

I don't need the fastest monitor since I'm a bit older and I'm probably not going to be competitively playing twitch games but I don't want anything that could cause possible ghosting/lag.

HDR (whatever one the PS4 supports) would be a nice bonus. I'm guessing this is a high premium feature that may not even be on current gaming monitors.

I may just end up holding off and upgrading my video card on the next cycle and then splurging then on a monitor to match the video card then, but looking to see what I can get ATM that's pretty decent but not the top end. Looking to not spend more than ~600ish? Maybe holding off would be the better option?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd either spend a bit more on the monitor now or wait. Your cheap option for IPS with high refresh rate is the Asus MG279Q which is around ~$550 but it has Freesync which is not supported by Nvidia cards, if you are going to get a high end gaming monitor and you have a Nvidia card you want a monitor with Gsync, for that your cheapest option is the AOC AG271QG at about ~$690 and your best option is the Acer XB271HU at ~$750. Gsync makes a big enough difference that a 970 can handle 1440p pretty well, especially on games like Overwatch which are not very graphically demanding in the first place, the high refresh rate also makes a big difference in fast paced FPS type games like Overwatch and CS:GO so you would definitely be getting your moneys worth if you play those sorts of games. I went from a Dell U2415(1200p/60Hz/IPS) to an Acer XB271HU(1440p/165Hz/IPS/Gsync) and even though I am using a GTX 970 I did not feel the need to upgrade to a 1070 like I was originally planning to because Gsync makes everything so much smoother, I'm just going to wait for the 1170 or whatever instead.

yeah i think i'll just wait until a monitor supporting HDR comes out and the next gen graphics cards before i drop a whole bunch of money.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Dr. Despair posted:

The Acer 27" 144hz 1440p gsync model is today's Amazon deal of the day for sub 500, cheapest I've seen it new I think.

Seems to be the 4K/60hz gsync model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MYTF4W/

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

out of stock now :(

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I had the original LG UM34* ultrawidescreen that I ended up returning. One big reason being that the monitor wouldn't itself sleep when I slept my computer. I had to wait for the computer to sleep before I also then had to switch off my monitor. And then it also had an annoying blinking white light when it was in the waiting for a connection mode.

I'm looking at some of the 1440p/144hz gaming monitors and thinking about waiting until black friday or the holidays to pick one up. Can anyone who owns the Acer or ASUS models tell me whether or not they automatically turn off (as in completely) when you sleep your computer? Does it have a blinking light in sleep mode or is it just a static led?

I posted a year ago that I was going to wait for HDR, but it seems like most games don't even support it still. I was thinking about just buying a 1440p/144hz monitor then wait another 2-3 years and see if 4K/144 + HDR gets cheaper. Are most people just forgoing HDR here?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Wacky Delly posted:

My PG279q turns itself off when I sleep the computer, but the "light in motion" red LEDs stay on. Those can be turned off in the OSD. I usually have them off since they usually clash with the rest of my rgb.
Thanks, will keep an eye on the ASUS PG series. Do you mean that by default it does have a blinking (red) light?

VelociBacon posted:

My Acer XB270HU just changes the green LED to pale amber when it's sleeping/off. It's a great monitor also and you can get recertified ones from Acer for quite cheap.
Cool this is good to know.

Do both of these monitors just sleep once you sleep your computer without having to flick the monitor's power button off?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

emocrat posted:

XB271HU 27" IPS is $499 at Newegg with promo code EMCEEPR49

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004&ignorebbr=1

what is newegg's return/restocking and dead pixel policy nowadays?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

How big is the Predator XB271HU? There is a micro center near my parents place for the Holidays and I'm thinking maybe I'll just buy one and take it back with me on the Megabus I'm taking.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Buy it on eBay App with code PICKFAST 8AM-8PM EST today on NewEgg's site to get 15% off. $442 pretax

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Preda...rk%3A5%3Apf%3A0

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Buy it on eBay App with code PICKFAST 8AM-8PM EST today on NewEgg's site to get 15% off. $442 pretax

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Preda...rk%3A5%3Apf%3A0

Just pulled the trigger on this came out to $492 and change after taxes in CA

Make sure you buy the right one when you load into the app. I ended up saving it to my watchlist on my PC and then accessing it that way through the app. Also make sure to enter the code before you pay

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

A day late but no one's posted: That 34" alienware ultrawide is on sale on Newegg's eBay site. $720 pretax

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alien...mCondition=1000

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

That Predator XB271HU was on sale for $500 late last night, but it looks like at that price point it sold out...

It was in here, but no longer there.
https://www.amazon.com/s/browse/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&node=15201447011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a7e1c818-e7bc-4318-ae47-1f5300505baf

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Meldonox posted:

Can you guys recommend a good VESA arm? I'm looking to have a 27" in the middle and probably my pair of 24" on the sides. I'd imagine these things aren't all created equal.

I have the AmazonBasics one. Works fine and I am satisfied with it. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

Welp, I bought one. It seems to be new on Newegg's site directly for $979 still, I'm not sure why it's so cheap via eBay. Hopefully I didn't make a poor purchasing decision thread!

Why would you do that. eBay Newegg is still Newegg... it's cheap because of BF

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I just got a notice from FedEx about the delivery of my monitor where they said they left the package at my front door... of my apartment complex. That seems a bit crazy to leave a package like that out where I live... Almost none of the delivery services leave that there since most have a key to the foyer of the apartment or just refuse to deliver if they can't get inside... What am I suppose to do if the package ends up being stolen by someone? Is this Newegg's fault/FedEx's fault???

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MONITOR UPDATE: Monitor is safe. Was a bit worried when I didn't see the monitor anywhere in the lobby but it ended up being because my super put the monitor in front of my door. I don't think the FedEx guy left it outside since it's been raining and the box isn't wet. So I'm hopeful they didn't really leave it at the front door.

astral posted:

Hopefully they didn't also ship it in the manufacturer's box so anyone can see what it is.

It was just the Acer box. Pretty sure it still would have gotten stolen regardless if it was outside. Big and heavy? Has to be worth something.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 28, 2018

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I hooked up my XB271HU.. I can't find the hex tool for my arm so its hanging pretty low but it's so nice.

Another thing I noticed, people were saying Overwatch doesn't do 21:9 but while tweaking my settings I found out it does display 21:9 so if you're playing overwatch on a UW you should take a look there.

Pretty happy with this, 0 dead pixels and bezels are super thin. Loving this so far.

SabinBlitz posted:

Is this a good DisplayPort Cord for an Acer Predator XB271HU?

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-...play+port+cable

or will the DisplayPort Cord that comes with the XB271HU be good enough? I can't find any spec information on the cord that comes with it.

I would say just use the cord that comes with it unless you see issues.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i'm getting the annoying issues where i wake my computer from sleep and all the windows have shrunk to 1024x768. none of the answers i've found have been definitive and its super annoying... steam also actually maximizes its window.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Budgie posted:

Yeah, the Dell monitors are great in every department except that some revisions of them don't really follow displayport protocol correctly. When the monitor goes to sleep the PC thinks it has disconnected completely so it immediately forgets all window positions and sizes and defaults to whatever Windows' default res is. I have 2 Dell p2415q monitors, one was rev1 and one rev3. The rev3 performs correctly, I got the rev1 RMA'd and received a rev2 one which seems ok sometimes but not all the time.

YMMV with your model of monitor, if it has further revisions at all, but it is Dell's fault for not implementing the protocol correctly. I guess most just put up with it, it's a minor niggle really. Since I have dual 4k monitors I just use winkey+left/right/up/down to position and resize windows to a quadrant when they get out of place if it occurs.

Edit: I'm guessing your old one didn't have this issue because it was DVI instead of DP, right?

Nope the Dell 2311H has a DP port. I'm guessing this is more of a Windows issue than my monitor and it's more likely that Windows didn't clean up something.

From what I read online there's some entry in the registry that sets the resolution to 1024x768 and when you install new drivers/monitor it still reads the old one. My registry has about 50 entries or so so it makes it difficult to figure out.. maybe back it up by exporting the entire tree, delete it, start over and restore from backup if it fucks up...

Indiana_Krom posted:

Check for a HDMI or DisplayPort "deep sleep" setting on the monitor depending on what you have it plugged in with and disable it if you find one.

I disabled it. Let's see if that stops the issue. Thanks.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Amazon DOTD has the Dell Alienware AW3418HW (1080p) and AW3418DW (1440p) at its lowest prices listed. $679.99/$799.99 respectively. Will arrive before Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-LED-lit-AW3418HW/dp/B0777RY75V/ref=as_li_ss_tluage=en_US?th=1

Indiana_Krom posted:

Check for a HDMI or DisplayPort "deep sleep" setting on the monitor depending on what you have it plugged in with and disable it if you find one.

This seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks.

wolrah posted:

Annoyingly, they actually are behaving correctly according to the spec. The spec says that the monitor must be ready to communicate on the DP_AUX line at any time the monitor present signal is asserted. The problem is that when they go to "Deep Sleep" they shut down the controller that talks on DP_AUX, so by the spec they must drop the monitor present signal.

The spec does not require that monitors always assert that signal when connected, which is dumb as poo poo.

No, it's not a Windows issue.

What that registry key controls is the size of the default desktop, which is what Windows uses when it doesn't detect any monitors attached. Changing it to match your monitor's dimensions doesn't actually solve the bad behavior of the monitor, it just basically hacks around the symptoms by making the default desktop match the real thing. The monitor is still telling the computer it's not there anymore, but the computer no longer sees a reason to rearrange the desktop.

But this doesn't seem to happen to me for Macs? If I do set the default to be the actual size of the desktop wouldn't that fix the issue I'm seeing?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

space marine todd posted:

Any thoughts on monitor stands? I really like this monitor except for the giant desk footprint.

you want a stand, but not the one that was designed to support the acer x34p? there's no real alternative here unless you go with an arm. the stand has to have a wide enough base where it can support the weight of a monitor that is both heavy and wide. an arm is able to take up less space since it uses the table as the base. why don't you want an arm?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The AW3418DW is on sale for $799. Not the cheapest it's been but still a good deal

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260555

CODE: EMCERRR44

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

okay so i have the predator xb1 27" monitor. i've noticed whenever i wake up from sleep mode. the very middle of the screen (~about 2-3 pixels) worth gets shifted entirely to the left of the monitor. so the exact middle is actually "cut out"

has anyone seen this kinda issue before? restarting my computer fixes the issue so it's not exactly defective (unless it's firmware).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

thanks that worked. im glad it doesn't require a restart