Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I just received an ASUS PB278Q this week, and maybe my old TN monitor was just a turd or LCD tech has come a long way in three years, but everything about this monitor is better. Far better color reproduction (lots of "oh, those are different colors" moments this week), even better responsiveness, etc. I feel close to how my last CRT monitor looked, minus the distortion.

One thing that bugs me, though, is that different sources list this as either IPS or PLS. It isn't important, just weird.

How much of a video card upgrade will I have to make to push games at 2560x1440, though? Currently running a Radeon 6870 with 1GiB and a big overclock, it just can't cut it. Skyrim and Tribes just kill it, 30fps at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Slark posted:

ASUS PB278Q is great, it's also quite pricey as well. :(

It's competing with other 27" 2560x1440 IPS/PLS monitors and is actually at the low end of that category. Some of them go for >$1000.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The U2711 is a wide-gamut monitor. Don't get it unless you do work that needs that capability.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

89 posted:

My graphics card only supports two monitors at a time. I have have my main monitor hooked up via DVI. And then, my Panasonic HDTV is hooked up via HDMI for when I want to use XBMC. However, I'd like to add another display without messing up anything and without buying another graphics card. Is there some kind of swapper I can use or some kind of box I can hook up so I can make my HDTV the secondary display only when I need it and just turn off the secondary monitor? I've got an onboard video card that is made into the computer.

My setup:
HP p6210f
Windows 7
GeForce GT 440
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121426

There are hdmi switchers, both passive and active.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

If you hate your AG-coating and have balls of steel, give this guide a try.

So he found a way to make an expensive mirror that you can occasionally see a computer display on?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

89 posted:

My HDTV has to run at 30hz and I need my monitor at 59hz, so splitting that isn't gonna work.

Anybody have experience with the DisplayLink USB adapters that turns DVI into USB?

A switcher is just a box that lets you toggle which device is connected to the single HDMI output so you don't have to physically change them. Unless you want to put in another display adapter you are limited to this.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kiresays posted:

Having trouble deciding between a TV and using it as a TV/monitor or a nice big monitor. I already have a computer monitor, so this would be my main screen and my current would move to secondary screen.

I read the OP, but does anyone have any personal opinions on this, which they prefer and why?

Apart from the crapshoot of TVs tending to fudge images a bit to reduce aliasing (and many sets not allowing the user to disable it) and never getting the colors quite right when using a TV as a monitor and vice-versa?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best way to search for dead pixels on an IPS monitor? Just toss up a full screen pure white image and look really closely?

You need a full white, black, and probably red, green, and blue.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Hemish posted:

Hey I just got U2412M and that was the first thing I noticed. I pushed the monitor back a bit but it's annoying. I'll probably get used to it as the colors are much better than my old monitor so it's easier to swallow the pill.

That was my same thought when I switch from some no-name TN monitor to my current PLS monitor: it's annoying but not nearly as bad as the obvious and bad dithering.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Sharp shows off 32" 4k Monitors.

Thing must need quad sli to drive it.

e: 5 grand and 3840x2160

Wonder if you would need something like dual-link DisplayPort to drive one at 60hz :aaaaa:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

We need 48-60hz movies/blurays way sooner than we need anything more than 1920x1080.

I'd rather have cheap high-resolution monitors. Just think, we might start to see movies commercially available in 4K, if only we had displays capable of it! :allears:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Chafe posted:

The problem with the U2412M is reverse ghosting. It has nothing to do with response time, it has to do with Dell screwing up the overdrive settings in the same way BenQ ruins every single monitor they make with awful gamma presets and extremely aggressive overdrive.

There are tons of "slow" monitors that have surprisingly good performance in real life like most Asus IPS monitors.

the ASUS PB278Q (PLS, but it's pretty similar performance to IPS) has a slightly over-aggressive overdrive too. I wouldn't say it's extreme, but noticeable if you are tracking a moving object without moving the viewpoint in a game.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

existential anger posted:

All higher end Asus monitors tend to have something called trace-free, which gives you 5 different overdrive settings of varying aggressiveness. If you set trace-free to 40, there shouldn't be any reverse ghosting. In fact, its pretty much the best performance going you're going to get from a 60hz monitor.

I hadn't thought to even mess with that setting :downs: or read the manual, just went through color calibration.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Kilazar posted:

I am looking at a PC refresh for my wife and I. And was thinking of buying the recomended Asus VG236H. But I don't see any that actually advertise that these are 120mhz refresh.

The ones I have found are here.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VH236H-23-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B002453K5G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358366260&sr=8-3&keywords=Asus+VG236H

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG236H/#specifications

Now the VG236HE does show 120. Is this perhaps a typo in the suggestion post?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236184&Tpk=VG236H

I am also looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236305
Unfortunately there is no feedback on it. Does anyone have an opinion on this particular unit?

Here are Newegg's 120Hz monitors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...h=1&srchInDesc=

Why is 120Hz the important factor for you? These monitors are all TN panels and doomed to terrible viewing angles and color reproduction; unless you're a twitch-shooter gamer I can't see a good reason to absolutely only get a 120Hz monitor.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is having a 120Hz monitor enough to view Blu-rays at 24fps or is there still some pulldown dickery involved?

Theoretically, each frame of the 24fps movie would be displayed 5 times at 120Hz.

Factory Factory posted:

Screen tearing is a GPU-side problem, involving vsync and buffering methods. Turn on Vsync.

Yeah, unless you have Vsync on (you may have to force it in driver settings to actually make it work, some games try to implement their own bullshit Vsync that doesn't actually work), you will have tearing. Depending on how lovely the game you are playing is, it may or may not actually use triple-buffering and you'll get a framerate hit if your machine can't render frames fast enough. Solution: buy a really badass PC. Making it worse: buying a 2560x1440 monitor :suicide:.

Dr. Lenin posted:

So, while waiting for my replacement u2412m to arrive (Best Buy's customer service is great, ya'lls) I read some past pages in this thread. Saw someone mention that if you are sensitive to low PWM you might have a problem with this monitor. Curious if anyone has a layman's definition of what that is and what you would feel if you are sensitive to it, as I did feel some initial nausea when using the monitor but I couldn't tell if was just from the change in size and really high brightness.

PWM brightness control means that instead of reducing the continuous brightness of the backlight, the backlight is flickered at 100% to reduce light output. Depending on the frequency of pulses, some people experience eye strain, headaches, and nausea. You can test if it is causing you problems by turning up the brightness all the way and comparing to the reduced brightness setting.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 17, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

existential anger posted:

That's definitely not true. IPS' main selling point is gamma stability/lack of gamma shift, something TN panels obviously have trouble with. If you don't notice the gamma shift, which can be difficult in movies and games, then there's no reason to believe that IPS monitors will have significantly better colour reproduction than "high end" TN monitors.

IPS monitors can have things like better lookup tables, hardware calibration, and more colour depth but all of that is irrelevant when it comes to low end eIPS monitors because they're all packing cheap electronics and 6 bit panels.

The bigger problem with TN monitors, namely gaming monitors, is the awful factory calibration most tend to come with. A properly calibrated TN monitor (you can get close by reading reviews) might even look better than a lot of eIPS monitors on the market because they typically have much better contrast and black depth than IPS monitors.

Poor factory calibration aside, you can't calibrate around a 6-bit panel. I also find the idea that a lovely cheap TN panel would have more effort put into the electronics, kinda shaky; TN panels compete on cheapness, trying to improve the dog-poo poo color reproduction by increasing the cost will basically mean that your display won't sell (people that care about that don't buy TN panels). Take a good IPS panel, calibrate it, look at all the nice colors, the subtlety of gradients, good subpixel font anti-aliasing. Then turn the color mode on your desktop to 16-bit. TN panels are only slightly better looking than that due to an extra bit on the red and blue channels, and temporal color dithering. The reason I sucked it up and shelled out for a big loving IPS monitor is that I was tired of seeing the effects of dithering and lovely viewing angles, something that TN panels are basically always going to have.

Having a wider contrast ratio and black depth is also not really as strong a point for TN panels as it seems at first, as the darker colors are going to be ruined by the downsampling forced by TN panels; it's just a simple matter of the digital math involved and darks being the least-significant bits, boom lost in quantization noise when it gets translated to fewer bits.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

In Team Fortress 2 I get high frames per second most always above 120 but the tearing is awful. For this particular game though turning on Vsync creates input lag, and turning on fps limiting creates jittering.

Would a 120 Hz monitor help? If so would I need to Vsync at 120 for an appreciable difference?

e: Some serious research tells me yes, this is what I want.
I ended up getting a BenQ XL2420T based on gamer recommendations, reviews, stats, and price. I'll report back with my impressions next month.

I've always had good results turning on vsync on Source-engine games, but I also use ATI because every Nvidia card I've ever purchased was a failure to have any real functionality or image quality sacrificed for XTREME FEEPS.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

evensevenone posted:

In the 90s IBM or Toshiba or someone sold a laptop that didn't have top polarizer layer. You could only see the screen if you wore the accompanying polarized glasses.

You can modify many LCD screens to work like that by simply removing the top polarizer. How successfully you can put it back together varies with the model, and you have to deal with wearing polarized sunglasses to see it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

Do you connect with HDMI or VGA? My TV has a "PC in" which is VGA but my video card does not have VGA (two DVI and an mini HDMI). I've got it hooked up via HDMI -> DVI right now but I cannot get it to fit correctly. It is either too large for the screen and stretched past the edges or barely not large enough on the bottom only but perfect on the sides...

Going to try to grab a VGA cable today from work but I don't want to lose quality if at all possible!

See if your tv has a setting for overscan or full pixel display (lots of cheap ones don't, most tvs by default zoom the image in a bit to hide OTA/cable flaws) before you try to use a VGA connection.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

dissss posted:

Auto tuning when using VGA seems to work best when there is a load of small text on screen

This is very good advice that you don't want to miss out on. Give the auto-adjust a bunch of sharp color transitions to chew on for best results.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

please respond posted:

Yeah I suppose it is, I wish I would have realized this. I just assumed monitor technology would have advanced more I guess, this is a definite step down.

It would certainly be easier to tell if we had the model numbers. For all we know your Dell monitor is a TN too and just set to a warmer profile. And most monitors come with the brightness set to burn your eyeballs out for some loving reason, turn the brightness down and set the monitor's color temperature closer to 6500K.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
In regards to 2560x1440 gaming, my Radeon 6870 is holding up ok-ish to it, as long as I don't try to pump the graphics settings all the way up in Tribes. I'm looking at a 7970 and kinda haven't worked up the balls to buy a $400 video card yet.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

I have a 7970 and I game at 5760x1200
I have played Borderlands2, crysis, bf3, War thunder, all maxed no problems.
7970 might actually be more than you need

Arma 2 (for DayZ) puts so much geometry up on the screen with such crazy draw distances that it easily bogs down my current card (6870). Console ports all play fine, because, you know, they're console ports and have poo poo textures and scenes that are designed to limit the amount of geometry present.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

sethsez posted:

Arma 2 is a lovely engine held together with duct tape and hope. It can do some nice things but I wouldn't use it as your benchmark.

Arma 2 may be a lovely engine, but it's a significant chunk of my playing time, and you need the crazy draw distances to actually snipe people. Crysis is a pretty old game, BF3 uses lots of the same tricks that console games do to limit drawing distance and still faces framerate chugging at 2560x1440 and full settings. I wonder what "plays fine" to you means, because a game like BF3 doesn't "play fine" unless it's pinned at 60 fps (or whatever your refresh rate of choice is).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Ika posted:

So, my new dell 27" died after 7 weeks or so, it just went pop and lost power.
I called dell, was forwarded 2 times or so for RMA service, and gave some lady in india who barely spoke any german my details, for next day replacement. Its been a week without anything arriving so I called them again, got a guy in germany who checked the RMA status and told me that the RMA order had the shipping address, email address, and name all completely wrong. I had dictated some of these letter by letter and the stuff which was in the DB were 50% longer than what would be correct.

He then told me he can't change what is entered, I would have to get a new RMA... and forwarded me to the department in india where after waiting another half an hour I again get someone who barely speaks german, I give them the correct details, they repeat them back, and tell me I would get the replacement on monday. And they must have managed to mangel the email address again because I still did not get a confirmation email.

Is this the typical dell RMA process, because the comments in this thread have generally recommended them?

Speak English with the people in India? They probably do much better with that, even if you have a bit of a language barrier speaking English.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Thoom posted:

DisplayPort can, but I'm pretty sure DVI can't and I couldn't find any active miniDP->HDMI adapters.

DVI->HDMI with the specific adapter your card probably came with usually gets the audio included, but it can be a crapshoot.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

teraflame posted:

Does anyone else have trouble calibrating the korean monitors? I tried multiple times with a Spyder 3 Elite but my 27" is always slightly more red/warm with green cast in shadows than my dell 22". Same settings at 6500k, 2.2 gamma, and 90 luminance. Korean monitor is LED while the other is based on CCFL, could that be the problem?

Gamma is more complicated than just a single number. The sRGB colorspace has a more linear gamma near black that becomes logarithmic near the mid tones, and isn't even consistent across each channel. 2.2 is the average, but how close an individual monitor comes is going to vary, unless you shell out for expensive professional displays that have more calibration options. The different backlight technologies aren't helping either. Calibrating two monitors of the same model can be tedious, across brands is usually an effort to get them close and just say "gently caress it" because they have different gamma ramps internally and will never ever look the same.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Just a (probably a reminder) note for anyone else that's trying to use miniDisplayport or Displayport outputs that a lot of cables out there are not VESA compliant and connect pin 20 to 3.3V which oftentimes causes sync issues, may result in difficulty resuming a monitor from sleep mode, and could even damage your Displayport connection.

Cables from Circuit Assembly meet VESA specs. There's a number of other vendors out there that publish their cable schematics, but don't trust the Startech and Monoprice cables to meet compliance. While a lot of people have gotten their cables to work, it may be short-lived. I'm hoping my U2711's Displayport hasn't burned out and that it'll still work with my Macbook Pro Retina. Hell, I'm starting to worry if I burned something out on my Macbook Pro Retina because I'm having problems with a passive miniDV -> DVI adapter losing sync and the screen going nutso until I straighten the cable out a bit.

Could this be why my video drivers sometimes think that my monitor is 1920x1080 instead of 2560x1440? I'm using the cable that came with my ASUS PB278Q. :ohdear:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Uh, I think that's a separate issue from the active pin 20 problem but I can't say that it's not possible either. 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200, can't remember) is a max negotiated resolution / bandwidth rating for single-link DVI and for earlier displayport versions when unable to negotiate max speeds. But if you say that this happens "sometimes" it would be consistent with the problems that can happen with bad signal sync from that pin being active (the behavior if that's active is basically undefined). Regardless, I'd try to use a solidly reputed cable with nobody mentioning a sleep / DCC problem among reviews.

PS. Don't you post on the reee board? :v:

Yeah, when it happens, a quick power cycle or two gets it straightened out. I have no idea what the reee board is though; I'm not the only person using this pseudonym, I can't get it in just about any common game and have no idea how I snagged it here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

I bought an Asus VG278HE and the included DVI cable wouldn't let the monitor work in dual-link mode at any refresh or resolution without heavy artifacting or connection errors. I bought an actual good cable and haven't had an issue since (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001PFQAI).

I was asking about the reported DisplayPort cable garbage, I have yet to try dual-link DVI, but :effort:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
If you're really set on 27" a 1920x1080 screen is probably going to be pretty grainy looking. 2560x1440(or 1600) is probably going to look much better at that size. Tastes (and eyesight) vary, so try to see a 27" 1920x1080 display in person first. You probably won't find any brick and mortar stores with a 2560x1440 on display, much less in the store, unless it's an Apple shop.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Elentor posted:

BenQ make some famous high-end gaming monitors. They're basically the huge "name" when it comes down to e-sports and are fairly famous among e-sports players.

With that said... keep in mind that "high-end" in this case means "low latency". I've only seen the low-budget benq monitors and they were fairly mediocre. I hear this is not the case with their higher priced monitors but haven't tested them yet.

BenQ also has the most aggressive LCD overdrive on the planet and the only one I've seen had pre-ghosting in spades :barf:.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Coredump posted:

Text scaling on windows 7 at least is very clumsy. If you set the dpi up to 150% then the search box in iTunes get messed up for one very specific example. Then with these forums the text becomes hard to read without either zooming in or specifying a larger font in the browser. And when you specify a larger default font all kinds of little oddities pop up everywhere. So sometimes its just nice to have a nice big screen at 1080p. I guess you could specify a non native resolution for a 1440 monitor and hope its not too blurry.

You'd think the people that really pushed high-DPI displays and interfaces that can respond well to that environment would be able to make that work outside of their own little garden. It's doable in Windows, it's just not the default way most controls render themselves.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

incoherent posted:

Hey guys, display fusion is on sale on steam (yeah, steam) for 22 bucks. If you have it already, they said they're looking at getting end users steamkeys to migrate them. No ETA tho.

Oh gaben :allears:

What good does it do over just the built-in OS stuff?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

A Violence Gang posted:

I think my 10-year-old CRT is giving up the ghost so I'm ready to upgrade. My video card is a 512MB 4850 recommended in the parts thread when I built my PC three years ago, and I'm still perfectly happy with how it performs at 1600x1200 -- I game but I don't care about ultra-high settings. I understand I'll probably need to upgrade that in the near future to keep up with contemporary games, but when I do I'll likely just be getting the modest but capable equivalent of the day.

So I should be looking for a 1680x1050 monitor, probably 22"? Would something like this Asus VW226T-TAA be acceptable?

I gamed with a 4850 at 1920x1080 for a few years with no serious issues. The workload is similar to 1600x1200 (less than 10% more pixels to process), so if you are happy with your performance now, you don't need to upgrade your video card.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

fookolt posted:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...E60UX0.OfRhApSg

So uh, this thing exists.

Does the HDMI port on regular ol' consumer GPU's support 4K?

It says that the refresh rate is 120Hz, but you won't be getting 4K resolution at anything higher than 24fps on the inputs it has. Wonder why it's so cheap:v:?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Dr. Lenin posted:

Soooo, is it pretty much accepted with the U2412M (or all IPS monitors?) that you're going to get at least some backlight bleed no matter what?

IPS glow is a near certainty, and can be difficult to tell from backlight bleed. Backlight bleed is always there, IPS glow goes away if you scoot back a few inches.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Comatoast posted:

I'd like to post a couter point to everyone saying that the larger high-res screens are the bees knees. I found them to be quite the opposite. I can only look at or concentrate on a few square inches of the screen at a time. The rest of the space sites idle, while my eyes move somewhere else. So, even if I'm able to fill that space with useful information its a wash to my brain. Alt tabbing or scrolling is no big deal next to the extra strain on my poor eyeballs from all the excess light. 27" is much too large for a monitor. 21" is about right. I can't wait for high-res screens in a smaller form factor and resolution independent everything.

This is also subjective, I'd rather just turn my eyes than try to alt-tab between a myriad of windows, and many of them are stacked already due to not needing them at the same time etc.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

KingEup posted:

99% of the time.

The thing to remember is they can both be unreadable in certain conditions:

It takes much more light to make the anti-glare/matte screens unreadable, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

el_caballo posted:

My office is pretty dark, so I'm not sure if I care about glossy or matte.

Even in a dark room, glossy monitors are backlit, expensive mirrors. Unless you like looking at yourself glowing like a ghost, you should avoid a glossy monitor.