Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SquadronROE posted:

1. Nuke the data directory, re-validate

Seems like this step will take a lot of time and bandwidth cap.

Go into Steam and validate FNV, then back it up inside Steam, then delete local content. Step out into Explorer and delete the now considerably smaller FNV directory. Then restore the backup. You may have to use Steam Mover again to put it back on your SSD (or mklink before you restore so it never writes to the mechanical drive in the first place).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

EDIT: This reply is outdated.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 6, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone have a link to the Low-Profile Armour Mod? [Corrected for easier use of C-f / F3 -SU]

You mean the one in the OP of this very thread?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Apparently I'm an idiot and an rear end in a top hat, since I didn't notice that
A) Omnicarus hasn't posted in like 8 months,
B) It was actually The King of Swag made the patch for the 20ga stock error (the one where it removed 24 rounds from the ammo box for each 12 it stocked), or that
C) Omnicarus probably would have known how to patch an ESP since Lombard Station does rather a lot of it - and probably wouldn't associate the Lombard Station base ESP with Gun Runners' Arsenal unnecessarily. Sorry, dudes.

For the record you use TESsnip to clone the main ESP [in this case Lombard Station] into an ESM, then use FNVedit to associate the ESP [LS-GRA] that will patch the ESP [LS] with the new [LS] ESM instead of the [LS] ESP, make your changes to [LS-GRA] in GECK, then reassociate it with the [LS] ESP.

Anyway, I fixed the 20ga stocking error - cleanly this time. No more crashing on exit and no other ammo stocks appear to be broken in testing. Grab it here.

Still haven't figured out how to get the Heavy Weapons wall to take in the GRA Fat Man (today was my first time ever in GECK), and until I do, I'd rather not have it show up on the wall if you stuff it into the wall manually.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 6, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm thinking of replaying Fallout 3 soon, is there a list like the one in the OP for mods for that game too?

There's an entire thread for modding Fallout 3.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I don't know about the original one, but the one that works with NVSE still dings achievements properly (or not, if you hit the console that session) and time played just like the base game does. The only thing different is that the overlay doesn't work right (only showing current session playtime and no achievement progress, title-specific links not working, etc.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

And this is why we need to be able to deploy psychiatrists via 911.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Madfez posted:

Is there a good mod that adds more variety and spawns to the wasteland? The Mojave is starting to feel kinda empty. Is the Monster Mod really that bad? I don't mind if it's hard because I cheat.

Hang on, you want to increase the wasteland spawns? Can't imagine why anyone would want to do that.

(It's awesome and also in the OP.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ETPC posted:

Yup, runs fine with the launcher or through nvse_loader.

Could it be because I'm on Windows 8?

I can't confirm that it was BECAUSE Windows 8, but I can confirm that I too couldn't load FNV4GB_NVSE in Windows 8.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rirse posted:

What gives, I finally got around the whole issue with the New Vegas Mod Manager not working by using the Nexus Mod Manager and set the custom launcher there to the 4 GB patch. But when I get in game, the screenshots and achievements are gone like before. I heard it not suppose to be causing this, so why is Steam saying I'm "in-game" and counts the time played, but doesn't let me get the achievements or take any screenshots (ones I took before when it was doing this don't appear with the other ones).

Do achievements work if you load FNV4GB_NVSE directly, or through FALLOUT Mod Manager? (I never tried a screenshot and most of the game-specific Steam stuff doesn't work through either FNV4GB... although achievements do, if my experience is worth anything.)

Also I have no idea if you use the console, but if you so much as bring it up (you don't even have to type the first character of a command), achievements are locked out until you quit and restart.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rirse posted:

I tried both with no success. It not so much achievements not popping (I already did a lot of the game so there isn't much left for me to get), but in the Steam overlay the section for them is gone and replaced by a blank news panel. And the screenshots don't show any of the ones I took and if I do take a picture, it's treated as a separate game then normal.

That's normal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rirse posted:

If that the case, I rather not use the 4 GB mod.

SpookyLizard posted:

Your playtime and screenshots are that important? I'd happily trade those for the game not crashing after half an hour.

Also, Rirse, total playtime is still saved and shows up on FNV's library page, and two weeks' time in your profile page. It just only shows session time in the overlay. (As an aside: People seem to think that Steam's playtime tracker is wildly inaccurate. If you consider it goes by program uptime instead of savefile times, it's basically dead-on. In the case of New Vegas, anyway. Unfortunately Steam can't track whether the game's been left open while you went to work or ate dinner or had to reload it fifty thousand times because of a bad mod or something.)

And you can still save screenshots, and pull 'em out of %Steam%\userdata\[some number]\760\remote\0\screenshots at leisure, like a non-Steam game with an overlay on.

You big baby.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 21, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Synnr posted:

Sort of dumb question but I haven't played much New Vegas (or fallout really) and set aside my short bit into NV for some other stuff, but forgot where I was and decided to start over!

Besides the Hardcore mode (which didn't appear to be particularly difficult even after I dumped the canteen/flask into storage), is there any particular mods to make it somewhat more [b]harsh[/]? You know, blasted post-apoc and all that. Or any general mods for play? The OP is mostly broken up by types. If it matters I have the NV pack with the DLC that went up on steam some time ago.

JSawyer. It's more unforgiving but isn't all that blasted, and if you're actually looking for blasted New Vegas is a place and time a little too into the rebuilding stage to qualify.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You should really use CASM! It's probably your best bet against savegame corruption and general CTD tomfoolery.

Second.

I had probably 85~90% fewer crashes in my second and third playthroughs (with CASM) than my first (without), and about 99% less container corruption.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Renditious posted:

The 4gb enabler works by setting a flag in the NV executable that allows it to access up to 4 GB of ram, and this flag is present up to Windows 7. If that flag has changed in 8, then it won't work unless a new application is released that uses the correct flags. Of course, there might be another problem, as there doesn't appear to be any obvious news on the subject that a quick search would present.

People are loath to release program patches for unreleased operating systems, even if they've already gone RTM. That last part seems kinda silly, maybe even stupid, but for something that only happens for about a month and a half every three years it's easier to deal with it.

Also it may be that no one's been driven to care about it yet, or that the maintainers have mysteriously disappeared from the community.

It's also entirely possible that the flag was removed, or that the operating system reacts poorly to the hack no matter how it's done.

You could always see if your mod loadout works without the 4GB shim, since NVSE still works fine. (And if it doesn't, additional editorial discretion rarely hurts mod orders.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 4, 2012

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

TerryLennox posted:

Honest Hearts was really, really easy. A multibot MK II with flamer and plasma autocannon tore through the White Legs, Yao Guais, Giant Cazadors and Zion mantises without any problems. This is because most White Leg enemies don't have a lot of DT so the robots can do some insane damage.

How the Hell did you get robots into Zion?

Also I hope that wasn't your first trip to Zion.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

JawKnee posted:

FNV4GB does not work on Windows 8

FNV4GB has not been updated to work on Windows 8.

EDIT: I did not do the research. I am shameful.

Skyrim4GB has been backported to New Vegas, and allegedly supports both NVSE and Windows 8.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 30, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Probably, but don't know where it'd be. Might trip up Steamworks.

JawKnee posted:

Bummer, ah well. Guess I won't be able to use those huge texture packs.

Sorry. I figured you wouldn't be replying this soon so I edited my last post.

Try this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Use the Steam backup feature. Then delete the directory and restore the backup. Anything that doesn't check out will be retrieved from servers.

I wish people wouldn't even suggest redownloading an entire game anymore, unless that's literally the only way left to render it playable (as in the drive it was on died or something).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Has anyone been able to get around the Steam "Application load error 3:0000065432" issue using FNV4GB with NVSE?

I get that error running all the exe's in Win7 compatibility mode; without compatibility mode I get a progress bar for a few seconds then nothing.

I've tried everything, Steam off, Steam on, first running via the launcher, etc. Weird thing is - the Nexus thread says to post the output from the log, which is supposed to be in Documents/My Games/FalloutNV, but it doesn't get created for me.

Any suggestions? With mods the game slows down very quickly without the 4GB patch.

Skyrim4GB is compatible with both Windows 8 AND Fallout: New Vegas.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

... You have a radar mod.

Four playthroughs and I thought there was no radar mod.

Where did you get the radar mod. This is important.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

Man, doing a clean install of NV is like pulling teeth sometimes. Reinstalling the game brought back all the ENB stuff with it, most of my mods, NVSE was still installed... I got everything deleted manually, but for future reference, is there an easier way to just reset everything to vanilla save for combing through FOMM and the main folder manually?

Steam backup the game, Steam delete the game, Explorer delete the folder it was in, Steam restore the backup.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

PC Gaming Wiki is on the ball, at least this time.

There's also a mod forum at No Mutants Allowed, but that has the distinct problem of being No Mutants Allowed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

Okay, so it is NOT a Nevada Skies issue. I have absolutely no idea how I made this happen or how I fixed it, then.

If it worked on previous drivers, roll back.

AMD graphics drivers have been kinda dire lately. (Then again, even nVidia drivers aren't great right now, but that's probably because of new card release syndrome and also it's probably not relevant to your problem.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Alluvion is still up. Seems like we could rehost mods that don't suck, help out fellow goons, and tell the Nexus network to mothergently caress itself in one fell swoop.

If it matters, you can set each torrent private.

For the record I don't have anything significant in the way of mods on me at the moment or I'd be posting links already.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 18, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

alluvion.org posted:

Copyrighted content that you do not have permission to distribute is not allowed. [italics mine]

Otherwise no one could put up their own work.

And if you trigger that clause I'm kinda curious how it avoided being flagged :filez: here.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Is there any not-creepy form of slavery?

NB: You might not be the best person to answer that.

Raygereio posted:

Opening the console will prevent you from getting achievements until you restart the game.
So if you want achievements: Use the consolecommands, then save and restart the game.

Note that this will ruin the hardcore achievement for that save and any save derived from it, unless you do it before you can turn on hardcore mode (which is before the end-of-character-creation sanity check so, uh, have fun with that).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Skyrim4GB 1.5 allegedly got backported to New Vegas as FNV4GB 1.6.

This is indeed the one pointed out on NVSE's homepage and should probably be in the OP.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 29, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Seashell Salesman posted:

you will start wearing the 1st Recon beret in the field and you should still take off your hat indoors like a civilized human being.

I went ahead and fixed what was wrong with your keyboard.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Paracelsus posted:

Now we just need mods to make Westside and North Vegas Square actually have a point.

The point of North Square is flavor.

The point of Westside is the chance to do unmitigated good (for once) and get creeped on by a Pokemon master.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

D34THROW posted:

Holy poo poo. :sttare: That's certainly something that I didn't even think possible...but Christ, I don't think my computer can take another mod :v:

Plus I already have UH and Survivalist's Bunker...

Portable Tent is also smaller and simpler. Even with Lombard Station I blew 30 hours each on being a homemaker on a couple playthroughs. If I hadn't come to the UHes too late to find them worth migrating to when I had them installed one of them probably would have hit the 200-hour mark.

why isn't there a Harvest Moon: Save the Wasteland mod yet

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The King of Swag posted:

This stuff doesn't even feel spergy to me; it just feels like the sort of things you need to pay attention to if you want a good, usable design that doesn't feel slapped together. To me, the spergy stuff is caring about whether or not the little cocktail flags used as display labels are hung in accordance with U.S. flag handling guidelines and standards.

Well, how much would a militia care about the flag code of a nation that participated in killing the world two hundred years ago?

"Whoops, dyed some of these backwards. Better put 'em up the way that's readable."

Shows the previous occupants were human.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Cleretic posted:

So I'm thinking of heading into the DLCs for the first time pretty soon with my current character (around level 14). Is there anything I should know?

I'm fairly sure the order is Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, but does my level or the order matter? I know Lonesome Road was the one built up to, so it should come last, but is the order important for the rest?

Less than you would think. Lonesome Road should wait until you've backed out of the Point of No Return prompt (you'll recognize it pretty fast when you see it) and done all the other DLC, Dead Money and Old World Blues change their tones radically depending on the order you visit them in, and Honest Hearts can go just about anywhere. Release order is certainly not a bad order, though.

Some would disagree and say that you can at least go the first bit of Lonesome Road early because of what it gives you, but I'll leave that to others to explain. Yeah, Lonesome Road is the one DLC that you can come back from before you're done with it, and return to later.

Specifically for Honest Hearts: Check your targets carefully until you reach a settlement.

quote:

Also, completely unrelated: I'm probably going to follow this up with a pacifist run.

Learn to live with disappointment. No matter your ending, no matter how much of the killing you put on the shoulders of your companions, one way or the other you are going to have some serious story-mandated blood on your hands. This isn't avoidable even if you excuse non-combat kills and non-human kills.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 2, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I'd just go with a New Vegas-style "Quest Added: USE NVAC, DUMBASS" with the image linking directly to its Nexus page.

Bonus points if it's animated like an actual quest in-game.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Each one of those pauses is New Vegas attempting to crash. :tipshat:

NVAC actually logs every well-handled exception to [New Vegas]\nvac.log. You can tell exactly what's the game being pulled back from the brink and (with resource and GPU monitors) what's bottlenecks or something.

Putting New Vegas on your SSD helps.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Lombard Station for life.

Lombard Station is legit, but I'm holding out with Portable Tent until the overhaul is done.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

fronz posted:

I can't find Lombard Station on the nexus, so I assume it's not there. Anyone have a link?

It's a goon mod that never hit the Nexus. Good news: It's in the OP.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Bloodnose posted:

To clarify, I don't mean how to use the file because that's easy and I'm not dumb. I mean how to find and get into and enjoy Lombard Station.

Notes will tell you where it is the hills just north of Goodsprings, up-west before you get to the deathclaw warning, how to get in the key on the dude at the skydiving shack, and what else you need an asston of dynamite.

Once you've done that, I'm Professor Sage, and welcome to the world of Pokégun! (Vegas Gold version)

... I suppose most player house mods will give you some form of classical RPG hoarding disorder unless you use them very judiciously.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 9, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Also consider Tale of Two Wastelands + NVSE + NVAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I would watch a series about the adventures of Skeleton Patton.