Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not really all that impressed with these tbh. Essentially the AMD octocore is only slightly outperforming the Intel hexacore at equivalent clocks - and the hexacores have always been the dirt-cheap part of the Intel HEDT lineup. It's going to be tough to sell 8-core Ryzen at $550 a pop when you can walk into Microcenter and pick up a 5820K for $330 literally today.

I guess it all mostly comes down to clocks. If Ryzen is out-clocking Haswell-E (i.e. 5 GHz) then it will be viable, at equal clocks (4.5 GHz) it's meh, if the clocks don't go past 4 GHz it's a stinker.

Same for the lower-tier chips, which are mostly let down by their poo poo-tier clocks as I see it. If those 6C and 4C chips can get the clocks up to 4 GHz they will be decent. But at 3.4 and 3.2 GHz they are going to be laughably outperformed by an unlocked i5.

Isn't the 8C/16T Ryzen CPU starting at $389? And the 6C/12T top end version at like $260? If you can take the top end 6C/12T Ryzen up to 4GHz then it looks like it will be a good bit faster than a top end i5 for about the same price.

Anyway, here's hoping AMD does well with this, Intel could use the competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

NewFatMike posted:

What's the Intel offering at ~$150? Those low end CPUs are looking a little anemic clockspeed wise.

There is the i3-7300 2C/4T at 4GHz for $150, but you are probably better off with a Pentium G4560 at 3.5GHz for $65 since the Pentiums now have hyperthreading just like the i3s. There is the i5-6400 4C at 3.3GHz boost for $180 too which seems like a better deal than the i3 even with the lower clock speeds.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

teagone posted:

I really only care about increasing my FPS in Overwatch. Currently I have an i5 4570, 8GB DDR3 1600, and a GTX 1060 6GB. My modest setup averages roughly 120 FPS with the "Ultra" graphic preset.

Would a 4C/8T or 6C/12T Ryzen with whatever budget mainboard and DDR4 RAM get me considerably more Overwatch FPS?

We don't have enough data yet to say one way or another.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

As far as I'm concerned it runs at 0Ghz until I see benchmarks from people I trust.

I still remember how Fury would be an "Overclockers Dream", trust nothing I say. :reject:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

What's the estimated price on that? Like $400? For half the power envelope (give or take, IIRC Intel and AMD calculate differently) of the 6800K, my hype juices are flowing.

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion Threadripper: Turgid with Hype Juices

If it all falls apart:

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion Threadripper: Say It Ain't Suuuuuuuuuu

The 1600X is supposed to be the $260 chip.

Fake edit: EFB :mad:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

weird, some people on reddit were reporting that it was soldered sometime in early 2015. i'm not sure why it was for those people, assuming they're not just making GBS threads us

It sounds like BS to me, why would Intel make CPUs with a known cause of failure built in? I would assume the G3258 is a very small die CPU so it would definitely be affected by the problems with thermal cycling on small die soldered CPUs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This opening of preorders ahead of NDA stinks more and more the longer I think about it.

Well, it's AMD's marketing and sales department. :shrug:

Anyway, I say everyone should wait for reviews from independent sources, better to wait just in case.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

You're referring to the i7-5820k? What evidence do you have that a i7-5820k would "utterly destroy" the 1800X in single-threaded performance? Granted it was only one game but the AMD demo they had today showed the 1700 getting higher FPS than an 6800k at identical clocks. Your take on Zen is way more pessimistic than I have seen from anyone else.

The 5820k can reach 4.4GHz pretty easy, even on air, so I would not be at all surprised if it can beat an 1800X clocked at 4GHz.

For gamers I'm pretty sure the i5-7600k is still going to be the best deal overall, but we really should just wait for benchmarks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....But they _do_ have enormous negative value. You can't sound dampen that panel without obviating the window.

Incorrect, plastic windows have roughly the same sound dampening effects as various foams used for case sound dampening, at least according to the Fractal Design engineering and testing departments.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

You have FaustianQ implying the AMD 65w TDP is for a single core aka idle for a 8c part.

I read it as 65W for one core at full boost and the others at whatever they can run at to stay within TDP limits, much like boosting works on Intel's CPUs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

If it is not 8c turbo TDP as I previously mentioned, the packaged cooler will thermally limit the chip which is not good. Maybe the 1700 65w TDP is at idle :laugh:

I missed a single word but still implied 1 core at load is basically idle for an 8 core chip.

Wait a second, you weren't already assuming that the packaged cooler would hit thermal limits under load at stock? :lol:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Seamonster posted:

Ryzen soldered so no delids?

I would assume the 6 core and 8 core versions to be soldered, but the 4 core version is probably going to be pasted unless AMD has figured out a way to make solder work on smaller chips.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i would have thought the 4 core chips were bins but they're appearing 6 months later

Yeah, with them coming that much later I assumed that they will be physically different chips. I could be totally off base here of course but the much later launch of the lower end chips makes more sense in a scenario where they need extra time to get new production lines up and running and time to build stock so the launch of the lower end chips doesn't fizzle for lack of availability. Also getting twice the chips per wafer is pretty important to keep costs reasonable. Of course this isn't ideal since it gives Intel more time to respond with price cuts but if the R3 top end chip is $140 and clocks to 4GHz like rumors suggest it's going to absolutely murder Intel in the i3/i5 market, there's a lot of volume there so it could hit Intel pretty hard in the bottom line even though profit per chip is way lower than in the server/HPC space.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

Intel are slashing prices across the consumer boards, check the Intel thread for specifics.

No, they aren't, that was just a list of Micro Center's normal prices for CPUs, they have always had very good deals on CPUs and CPU/mobo combos.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Can't you just take the faster RAM and run it at lower speeds anymore?

Yes. In fact running something like DDR4-3200 at its rated speed is technically overclocking.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So... are we back to dirty tricks AGAIN?

http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

I mean jesus gently caress, Intel.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Intel is playing dirty tricks, but it looks like this is just rumors so far. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Launch is Thursday, so reviews and proper at-release benches... Wednesday?

No one knows yet, either day before or day of release I would guess.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Alereon posted:

Isn't Ryzen a different Z-height, so even if the holes line up it wouldn't mount correctly without a new kit? I could be full of poo poo here but I thought I remembered reading this.

Yeah, it is. If you are careful and the screws on your cooler are the spring retention type I could see it working even with the different hight but I would not risk an expensive new CPU to find out.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Why not an ARM solution? Or is legacy code holding them back? God NASA needs an actual loving budget.

What they have works fine for the application it's being used in and is known to be stable which is much, much, much more important than how fast it is.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

WTF is that VCore? 1.4anything is flipping high lol.

Apparently CPUZ is not reporting vcore correctly. Also temps fluctuating between 40C and 60C at idle with a Noctua NH-D15 HSF which is odd to say the least.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

All these Ryzen benchmarks are making me feel pretty okay about my i7 4790k.

Pmuch this.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

All performance aside though, what really matters is sales. If enough people buy Ryzen then it doesn't really matter if Intel processors are better by whatever measure. I hope Ryzen is a huge success in terms of sales and we see an end to Intel thinking it's "normal" to sell $1k+ consumer chips.

Indeed, the victory of AMD:Champion of the People over the Foul Demon Intel is paramount, benchmarks and everything else pale in comparison to this noble and shining quest!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm saying competition, in any market, is good for consumers. A monopoly is not. It doesn't seem like that controversial of a thing to say. :shrug:

Yes, actual competition would be good, but what I got from your post is that you hope people will buy an inferior product just so that Intel has competition. Hoping that consumers fall for hype and screw themselves over seems to go right against why competition is a good thing in the first place.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Delusibeta posted:

So, the impression I'm getting is that Ryzen 7 effectively renders Intel's X99 platform moot, but lags noticeably behind Intel's mainstream chips when it comes to gaming, and that the Core i5 7600k remains the default CPU choice for gaming builds (for now).

That seems accurate, though it's hard to say what gaming performance will end up being once all the kinks with motherboard UEFI and so on are worked out.

I think AMD should have launched a week or so later, maybe the mobo makers would have had their stuff in line for launch that way.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

At least with video encoder errors it's not going to blow your equipment up. But y'all should read NwAvGuy's blog because it has a lot of relevance to the Ryzen launch too.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/testing-methods.html

So honest question here... how many people here had even heard of Joker Productions before he became /r/AMD's last great hope for Ryzen? Cause I sure hadn't.

I had heard of him well before all the Ryzen stuff, he's been doing the tech youtube thing for a while. He has a history as a huge AMD fan boy and his results are well out of line with other reviewers, it's all circumstantial but I think everyone should take his results with a pretty huge grain of salt. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

Only the 1700 comes with a fan right? Because stock fans almost surely can't hit 3.9-4.0 Ghz with Ryzen.

All three R7 CPUs have an included HSF, the 1700 has the most basic one, then the X1700 has a beefier one and the X1800 has a big one with full heat pipes and so on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Unhappy Meal posted:

As far as I've seen the 1700 are coming with the middle Wraith Spire fan, and 1700x/1800x don't come with the Wraith Max at this point in time.

Huh, you're right, are AMD selling the Stealth and Max separately or something? :confused:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

On the one hand: Good on AMD for FINALLY learning to cut the cost of a cooler on a part that the people who buy it are most likely going to have their own third-party cooler to begin with. Just the cost of shipping around a pound of metal and plastic *alone* must have saved them a pretty penny.

On the other hand: Why the hell even waste the marketing time and money on letting people know it exists?

As far as I know the Wraith Max is a perfectly good cooler, really the only types that would be a significant step up are the giant double tower coolers like the NH-D15 or a 240mm AIO, so if there was a Wraith Max packed in it would probably be a real value add for most people.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Good-loving-lord... At least they added in the capability for an extra like 225 W per CPU there :v: and they added buttons on the board for the front buttons. It'd actually be kinda nice to have those on regular motherboards too...

The power/reset buttons on the board are actually a pretty common feature on good consumer boards, both my current(ASRock Z97 Extreme4) and previous(EVGA Z68 FTW) mobos have them, it's especially useful if you are using the board on a test bed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a shame that server vendors and the people who buy full-priced HP / Dell servers are so conservative. Does anybody have expectations for the Amazon / Google / Facebook / Microsoft / Rackspaces of the world? Will they be willing to hop to a new, unproven platform to save money?

I think they will wait at least a few months for the kinks to work themselves out and then if they are considering it they will roll out some smaller scale datacenters before making larger purchases. It really depends on the people in charge though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The problem is that there is no way of knowing if the single thread IPC advantage of a 7700k or the core & thread advantage of Ryzen will be more important 4-6 years from now as far as gaming goes and frankly there is no way to resolve that question other than waiting. In that case the question that we can answer now is "Is Ryzen's single thread IPC detrimental enough that it overshadows the other advantages of the platform?" the answer to that question will vary with your particular setup as far as what games you play, resolution and your frame rate targets, but I would speculate that for most gamers the IPC disadvantage is not a big enough disadvantage that it really puts Ryzen out of the running. The next question is "Are Ryzen's advantages beneficial to any of my workloads?" and the answer for most gamers is going to be a No. So in the end I don't think it makes much sense to switch to Ryzen if you already have a decent CPU for gaming, but if you were already going to upgrade I think you could honestly go either way and be pretty happy with your purchase. In light of that I would recommend Ryzen, at least once the kinks are worked out, because there are more things that you might want to do in the future as far as multitasking and multithreaded workloads that Ryzen gives you access to than things that Ryzen's lower IPC bars you from doing.

Also the more AMD sells the bigger the fire under Intel's rear end to lower prices or come up with better products.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Here is a good video explaining the weirdness with RAM in the Ryzen ecosystem. Basically the Ryzen memory controller is very finicky and tries to force some fairly silly timings on the RAM, this might be worked out in the future but for now YMMV.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

If Zen has such severe penalties for crossing clusters, maybe AMD should have set it up as a dual CPU instead of blabbing about infinity fabrics.

Lol, no. It's not like applications would just use both CPUs in a setup like that, also you have per-core licensing to deal with, making the CPU identify as two cores is an absolutely terrible idea. All that really needs to be done is to make applications and OSes aware of the extra latency when sending things between clusters so that behaviour is minimized, that should be something that MS can sort out in a couple months. Also it's not a really severe penalty, remember that within clusters the switching time is 40ns, it goes up to 140ns when switching between clusters, but on Intel CPUs the normal switching time is 80ns, so it's not nearly as severe as it seems. Lastly while the switching time is probably causing problems I doubt it is all there is to this.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SourKraut posted:

I was excited about possibly getting a R5-1600X, but reading above, it sounds like it might be a crippled chip?

Not really, it's just people were hoping for a chip with a 4/2 CCX split instead of a 3/3 one, this is because passing threads between the CCXes is much slower than within CCXes. If you are doing workloads that will benefit from the extra threads the chip should still be very good at that and while still behind Intel's offerings in gaming it should be a decent chip for that too. Ryzen is really a nice chip for mixed workloads, but if you are just gaming Intel is still going to be the better choice for now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If there is a C stepping, how fast is the fabric running?

Infinitely fast, duh. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

So the NT kernel team figured out how to schedule things on Ryzen properly. Neat.

Wonder if this is going to completely invalidate existing game benchmarks.

This is really odd, even AMD said that there were no problems with the scheduler, so WTF is going on here?

God, they should have sent a few systems with Ryzen chips over to MS a month before launch. :cripes:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I have figured out how to get my 2x16 DDR4-3000 CL15 to run at 2666 with DOCP enabled. Just enable it then manually set the speed from 3000 to 2666. What I don't understand is why the bios detects 15C but RYZEN MASTER is setting it to 16. I read a random amazon review that said Ryzen supposedly prefers even numbered CL timings, and had luck running their 3200 kit at CL14 instead of CL16. I have not had any success with that and attempting to do so results in me having to reset CMOS and start anew. I'm going to try the 4x8 kit again with this month's bios and see if that's good for anything tomorrow.

For whatever reason, with DOCP enabled, the manual processor clock settings in the BIOS don't seem to always apply. I have to go into RYZEN MASTER and manually increase the processor speed, in addition to copying over all of the memory settings from the read-only current profile, to the new profile I'm making, to prevent a restart (which it would want for changed memory settings).

Also, it's reporting at 1T for 2x16, shouldn't that be 2T? There are still situations when various screens in the bios don't even display consistent information, and I don't know if I can trust RYZEN MASTER or other utilities.

I have until April 15 to return either set of ram (2x16 DDR4-3000 CL15 and 4x8 DDR4-3200 CL16, both Corsair), if anyone has something they'd like me to attempt out of curiosity, let me know. I am anticipating eventually returning both and getting a stupid 3600 or 4000mhz pair. The problem is this essentially forces me to choose between gaming performance, and simply having a shitload of ram for when I'm compiling poo poo and encoding things/running VMs

Even going from 2133 to 2666 has been good for anywhere from 7 to 30!!! % increase in performance, less so in synthetic benchmarks, moreso in games. DiRT Rally really responded well to it. DO4M already ran great, but I'm seeing CPU frame times as low as 2.3ms as opposed to ~3.5 previously. That's actually insane IMO as that's potentially over 400FPS in what is IMO one of the best looking games out there (even though its capped at 200). So I guess AMD's claims of being "200hz VR ready" aren't that farfetched.

ASSUMING Dual GPU DX12 actually works out, I will eventually upgrade to a board with 2x16 PCI-E, I have a feeling that the Fury OC will make an excellent companion card to something like a Vega with 16 Compute units.

I also managed to break 14000 in Firestrike, which was just really satisfying if ultimately meaningless.

But this explains how people are throwing up 30,000 Multicore scores in Geekbench, 1 stick of 8GB ram set to an obscene speed. Assuming the ram is fast enough that it doesn't matter and a majority of the benefit comes from increased infinity fabric speeds??

Is there a guide to manually editing bios firmware somewhere? Like do people bindump and pick it apart, or just raw hex editing or what?

If anyone has had success with faster memory, specifically 2x16 or 4x16 sets >3200mhz with the ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS, do let me know.

Don't waste your breath telling me I'm wasting my time, I specifically bought this to keep myself busy with meaningless bullshit. Also going to ignore anyone who "lol AMD"'s, as this is the loving AMD thread and you should know better. Its not even a funny joke. There's real loving potential here

Go watch this video on Ryzen RAM OCing. Short version: The Ryzen memory controller is forcing 1T command rate, you need RAM using Samsung B die chips if you want to get decent timings on Ryzen, also if you want anything over 2666 your motherboard needs an external clock generator, only some of the high end X370 boards have that so 2666 is as high as you get on the ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

all this trouble for the least significant factor in your computer's performance

Memory data rate has a very noticeable effect on FPS in some games, GTAV and TW3 being good examples where you can gain 10-15% FPS by going from DDR4-2400 to 3200.

Also it's gonna matter a lot for the datacenter versions of the chips where memory performance really matters.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That doesn't make any sense because it shows up as 2T sometimes!!! Also they literally list speeds up to 3200mhz in the specifications, and there are at least a few sets of ram out there that will DOCP 3200mhz, iirc one is for sure listed in the QVL.

Came here to say this. Potato Salad is wrong, and should feel bad.

I'm not saying that the Ryzen controller always forces 1T command rate, it just does that very often and many memory kits can't deal with that at higher speeds. And yeah, there are memory sets with DOCP profiles for high speeds, but they depend on a modified base clock to work, like the G-Skill kits need to run at around a 120MHz base clock to actually hit 3200 and to change the base clock you need an external clock generator which only some motherboards have, all of this was covered in the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

No but I'm talking about the QVL for my specific motherboard. That has confirmed working DOCP3200 profiles.

Does your RAM come with those profiles and have they been specifically tested with your model of motherboard? I'm only seeing two kits, the Galaxy HOF4CALCS3600K17LD162C and the Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3600C18, both DDR4-3600 kits that are approved for your board with a Ryzen CPU at 3200MHz.

• Locked thread