Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Hauki posted:

Christ, I never knew these existed, but now I want them so badly.
I don't even use ice outside of cocktails.

You can find some on ebay if you really want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Just a heads up, Brown splashproof thermapens are on sale at $79, down from $89.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

(Is it just me or do brown thermapens make you think someone just pooped on the counter? >.>)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Is there any stand-based (like, it has to sit on a stand to boil, but then you can lift it off to pour without worrying about cables) electric kettle that doesn't absolutely suck, and won't melt in six months?

I've owned three in the past two years, and each one has slowly deformed in one way or another. I relegated one to the office at work where I can keep an eye on it because the switch is basically melted and won't shut off automatically. The one I use at home, the power button melted for some reason and the lid won't close properly anymore, in addition to half the metal starting to show evidence of rust or some other type of corrosion.

I drink what is probably an unhealthy amount of tea so my kettles work a lot. I'm hoping to buy one that lasts more than six months before showing some sort of flaw this time. I remain hopeful :ohdear:

I know it's not a stand-based, but my family has had a zojirushi water boiler for ~15 years and it's still going strong. So maybe consider that option?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I would argue for getting a cast iron pizza pan instead of a pizza stone, such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Pizza-Black/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325894758&sr=1-1

I've had better results, and it's much, much more durable.
Yes the lodge pan has a lip, but it's never gotten in the way for me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

The top cleaver is a CCK kitchen chopper (a heavier, axe-grind cleaver designed for going through light bones), then the #1 small slicer, then a Takeda cleaver, and below that a Tojiro santoku I put in for scale.

Is the the BBQ or Bone chopper on chefknivestogo?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

No. If you look at the CCK cleaver page (on chanchikee.com) the one I have is the #1 Kitchen Chopper, KF1201. The BBQ Chopper on chefknivestogo.com is the #3, KF1503, and the Bone Chooper is the #2, KF1602.

I got both of those CCK cleavers from a restaurant supply in my neighbourhood Chinatown. I've also got a couple of other CCK knives that chefknivestogo.com carries, the #1 Butcher's Knife, KF2208, and what CCK calls the Large Scraping Knife and chefknivestogo.com calls the L'il Rhino Cleaver, KF2205, both pictured below with a 8" Moritaka gyuto for scale:

The Large Scraping Knife looks like a total gimmick, but it's loving awesome for pull-cutting veg and things like that. The #1 Butcher's Knife is a loving beast, axe ground and thick like a bone-chopping cleaver, but really well balanced for such a large kitchen knife. Both of them kinda look like something you might get from killing an Orc.

So which cck is your go to bone chopper?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

The Kitchen Chopper. For no grand philosophical reason other than habit. If I was dealing with primals more than I am I'd probably be reaching for the butcher knife more, but as it is it's mostly for waving around the kitchen making `whoooosh' noises.

Ah. Are you primarily using the Kitchen chopper? Or do you mainly use the Takeda in the first picture you posted? Wondering because I've been eyeballing some of the higher end cleavers on chefknivestogo for something sharper and with better edge retention than the cck I currently use.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does the Nomiku have any advantages over a SousVide Supreme Demi? Beyond the size advantage.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

It kind of depends on how spergy your definition of "hot spot" is. I've seen people mention 0.5°F differences around the water bath, which is pretty insignificant. The convection system also means the SVS is completely silent, which is a benefit since a lot of people dont want an immersion circulator running in their kitchen for days.

How's the temperature stability on the Demi? I remember when SeattleFoodGeek did a review on the Supreme there could be up to a 2°F difference from the set temp.
And the Nomiku makers are saying their's at worst would be o.3°F.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Why is there such a large price difference between the Nomiku and a PolySci?

Difference in reliability of components? Temperature accuracy?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Amazon just dropped the price of the newer Cuisinart multiclad 12 piece set (MCP-12N) from $299 to $232 if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JXPS6U/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Yeah go for a blender, more useful. Everything you need to make smoothies can either be kept frozen, powdered, or has a long shelf life. So you won't need to worry about spoilage and can cut down on how many store runs you need to do.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I've been looking for something to use as a casserole dish, and narrowed my choices down to getting:

A. An enameled braiser, something like this: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/le-creuset-signature-cast-iron/braiser-p125139
B. A large sautepan
C. Casserole pan, this this one from Cuisinart: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP55-24-MultiClad-Stainless-Casserole/dp/B0009W38Q2

I'm steering away from pyrex and stoneware casserole dishes as with my luck, they'll crack in a month's time. Also I like the fact I could easily put any of the above options to use on my stove.

Any input on what to go with? Or suggestions for something entirely different?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GigaFool posted:

What about restaurant hotel pans? They come in varying sizes + gauges of stainless steel, aren't that expensive, and last forever.

Should have added that part of the reason for my selected options is so I can go stove to table with it.

Though a square hotel pan could work, will have to take a look at the dimensions.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press is a lightning deal on Amazon right now for $25.99. Ends at 3PM PST

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CD0HX/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Edit: ^^^ He beat me to some of this stuff

deimos posted:

Benriner Mandoline and Kevlar Glove (might bump up the total to $35 since you might not have time to wait for a special/hunt around).

If you bump the total to $35, the Kuhn Rikon epicurean garlic press and kershaw taskmaster kitchen shears are in range.

For things in the original 20-30 range:
-Kuhn Rikon Swiss Peelers are cheap and nice.
-Microplane graters both the home and professional version. (I prefer the professional ones as they are all metal)
-All silicone spatulas like the GIR
-Norpro vertical chicken roaster
-Oxo adjustable measuring cups
-prep bowls/ramekins
-I could keep going :p

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Comic posted:

Maybe the stopper on the particular one I bought isn't very good or malformed then, there's always something left coating the sides after pushing the rest through, though overall it IS faster than trying to pour/scoop honey out of a normal measuring cup.

Yeah that sounds like something is deformed. My oxo adjustable never leaves anything on the sides after I push the base up.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Guitarchitect posted:

considering there isn't even a mention of K-Sabatier (or french knives in general) the last time I checked, I don't actually believe the Goon Hivemind knows its poo poo when it comes to knives :(

Honestly curious, why get a Sabatier chef knife over an equivalent cost Tojiro DP gyuto? For me I go with the Tojiro because I get stainless steel and better edge retention.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Get the blender.

Anyone have suggestions squeeze juicer? The hand held ones, not the giant press ones.

All the ones I've looked at on Amazon seem prone to breakage or flimsy handles.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So ran across this : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand the only alternatives I know of are DryBags, wine fridges, and hacking together an old fridge for meat aging/drying. It would be nice to have a fridge purpose built for meat aging.

But on the other hand, it's expensive ($555 early bird) and there are the much cheaper alternatives.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

Speaking of which, anyone got any recommendations for a small charcuterie fridge? Apart from the standard recommendation to use a larger fridge.

Besides the SteakFridge above? :p

Some people have had success using wine fridges: http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2011/05/diy-prosciutto-in-a-wine-refrigerator/

You may also have better luck pinging the charcuterie thread on this one.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Now that I've had a chance to look a lot closer at it, a few things that stood out to me.

-They're pricing it for retail at $1000 :aaa:
-LOL at those non-SteakFridge tiers rewards. Especially the cutting board, their description in the sidebar and the image they include is literally this Ikea cutting board: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30087148/
-Surprised that they didn't make a nicer video, specially given the founder's marketing background. The again, the business proposal feel of it also fits her background.
-Also surprised, not one person involved thought to also push the charcuterie angle. The thing should function in that regard as well.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah that looks like a good one. Do it outside--even if you don't think you're making much smoke, you would be amazed how quickly torching inside will set off every smoke alarm in your house/apartment. Trust me.

Seriously, doesn't matter what I do when I'm inside, I always trigger the alarms.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Recently purchased an industrial wire shelving unit, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SG1FE6 , to organize my kitchen.
I have to say, this has to be one of the best kitchen purchase I have ever made. It's so nice to be able to see everything is, easily get to it, and do things like hang pots and pans from the shelves.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

You actually can put metal in the microwave, but it absolutely can't touch anything that would ground it. My LG microwave actually has a metal rack that you can slide in, but it's careful to have big plastic holders that grab it and keep it from touching the sides. There are lots of warnings in the manual on how to properly insert it and keep it from touching the metal sides and grounding out.

How are you supposed to use those things? Or when is it better to use those things over the rotating bottom?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Whoop whoop, Searzall arrived. Can't wait to get to set it up and play.

Edit: Doh, wrong thread.

^^^^ I'd venture a guess of another 2-3 weeks. There are still people stating they haven't received their shipment emails in the last few days and they won't list them on Amazon till they're done fulfilling kickstarter and shopstarter orders

.Z. fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 24, 2014

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I just pulled the trigger on the Kitchenaid stand mixer. I've never seen such a low price and I couldn't resist. At some point I'll be getting the grinder attachment, but I've heard mixed things about it. Anyone have any feedback on it? I know the biggest trick is to semi-freeze the meat you're grinding, but if there are any other tips or tricks specific to the Kitchenaid mixer, I'm all ears.

Honestly, if you can afford, and have the space, for a stand alone meat grinder do that. The attachment just isn't that good, even with the various little tricks you can do.

But if you do end up getting it, don't bother with the sausage stuffer package, that thing is absolutely useless.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 14, 2014

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fart simpson posted:

I've seen some Zojirushi rice cookers for over one thousand earth dollars in stores around here. I wonder what goes into those.

Generally the following features work their way into rice cookers at that price point (ignoring large resturant ones):

1. Pressure cooking for softer rice
2. Plat infused bowl for sweeter rice
3. Steel bowl so you can scorch the rice on the bottom, for people who like having crispy bits
4. Induction Heating. More immediate, consistent heat for more even cooking of rice.
5. Steamless. (This one is a Mitsubishi feature, not Zojirushi) Steamless allows users to put the cooker anywhere, which has more value in space-limited Japanese households.

I'm not sure if 1,2, and 4 actually make a noticeable difference. 3 and 5 are personal preference things.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Glockamole posted:

So I have the green light from the significant otherfor a slow cooker now. Is any brand better reputed than another? Huge is important; no less than 6 quarts. Red would be nice, but big and reliable is more important than red.

Go to a thrift shop and see if there is one there that will satisfy your needs. Otherwise if you want to spend a bit more, this one isn't bad: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P2NG0K

It's nice to be able to have the temp drop from high/low to warming when the desired cook time has passed.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

What have people found to be a good size for a small saucepan/saucier? I want to get something for melting butter, making smaller amounts of sauces, making drinking chocolate, etc. I'm torn between a 1qt or 2qts.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone know why the All-Clad 12" frying pan with lid is so much cheaper than the 12" frying pan without?

12" w/ Lid - $120: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QJEWB2
12" w/o Lid - $145: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T6MSIS

And this holds true when I check All-Clad's site. They are both part of the same stainless steel line. And when I compare the specs section on All-clad they have the same description. Am I missing something? Or are they really arbitrarily charging more for the version that doesn't come with a lid?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sextro posted:

I figured as much. Ideally I'll grab a commercial vitamix from some failed cafe for cheapish, I'm also impatient so when I inevitably give up is there a difference between blendtec, vitamix, or whoever at the 3-400 range?

3 things you might care about with Vitamix vs Blendtec at that price point:

1. Size:

-Vitamixs are really tall and frequently do not fit under most kitchen cabinets (Or in them for that matter, unless you take the container off the base). You can get around this by A. buying a compact container, but you will sacrifice some volume. or B. getting the G-Series which is a bit more expensive, but shorter form factor without sacrificing volume.
But you can use all 64oz. of volume that are available in the container it comes with.
-Blendtecs have a nice compact shape and will fit under kitchen cabinets. But you can only fill the container 2/3 fulls so it's max capacity is about 42oz with the container it comes with. Of course you can just get a bigger container later if you find you want more capacity.

2. Controls:

-Vitamixs are mostly manual control only. As in you have a knob to control the speed and a switch to turn it on, off, or pulse. Only the top end models have pre-programmed settings.
-Blendtec does have some speed control and the ability to pulse. But compared to a Vitamix, the speed control sucks. It's clear your really supposed to just let the pre-programmed settings do the work.

I prefer Vitamix over Blendtec because of this. I like having the ability to instantly change the speed of the blender to whatever I want, as fast as I want. Blendtec's pre-programmed system never clicks with me, and I just find it annoying.

3. Tamper:

-Vitamix comes with a tamper, it is great. It allows you to make super thick frozen fruit smoothies.
-Blendtec does not come with a tamper, as a result Blendtec is not capable of making super thick frozen fruit smoothies. Someone makes a 3rd party tamper, I don't know if it's any good.

Ok to be fair, you can make a super thick frozen fruit smoothies with the blendtec. But it usually involves you stopping the blendtec every ~10 seconds because an air pocket has formed around the blades and you need to break it up.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Great post, thanks for the info. Sounds perfect for me. Anyone have experience with refurbs? If I can pay $300 instead of $500 that would be a great thing.

I've had one of their refurbs for about 2 months now, no complaints. Make sure to check for coupons, there is usually a free shipping one floating around.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

I've got one of the Zojirushi induction models that amazon says I bought a little over six years ago and it's still fine. The only Zojirushi appliance I've ever had problems with is a water boiler, which failed after about 4 years (electronics went out after condensation started forming in the display, probably do to an internal seal going bad).

Wonder when that'll happen to mine, I inherited my water boiler from my parents and I think it's like ~10 years old at this point.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

electricmonk500 posted:

No opinions about these things? Better thread to post in?

My suggestion is not to bother. I've tried several electric grills (including the Livart) they are all underwhelming. They take so long to cook, I find myself wanting to just cook the rest of the meat on the stove.

If you want to do tabletop cooking, I'd advice getting an electric hotpot for shabu shabu. Much faster cooking and more satisfying.

Or you could get a induction plate and a really shallow pan. You'd have better results.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 4, 2015

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Can someone explain to me why I'd want a baking steel over a baking stone? All I can really see are downsides: weight, corrosion, lack of moisture wicking from stoneware, possible flavor effects due to rusting, which is accelerated by high temperatures, and so on.

Everything Flash said, plus the steel is highly unlikely to ever crack.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

My poor, poor stone.

:(

:p I went through 6 stones before I found my current hunk of metal: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X

The baking steel stuff hadn't been available at the time.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So my Kitchenaid standmixer bit the dust, the repair shop says it'll be $200 to repair. Basically all the non-motor, moving parts need to be replaced.

It's Professional 6 model picked up from Costco about 10 years ago. Is it worth it to have it repaired or should I just go get a new or Kitchenaid refurbed machine at this point?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

Take it to Costco and they'll almost certainly exchange it.

Seriously?

Pity their Pro 6 is now the 6000 series instead of the 600.

Edit:

Huh, guess their return policy changes only applied to electronics. So I could conceivably do so. But I'm not sure I could bring myself to do so, I'd feel super guilty and awkward about it.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone have recommendations for a dish drying rack that could go behind a corner kitchen sink? There just isn't enough space on the sides of my sink for the ones I've found.

• Locked thread