Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Speaking of tools:

When it comes to non cast iron I've found that Mauviel is really good:

(The induction ones are the ones I use)

Where when it comes to braising stuff, or to using a crock pot I can't get a hold of one of those electrical ones (since I am european), and hence I use Staub:

(this is the size I use 8qts)

...speaking of staub - how loving cool is this?

I've worked with Staub and they're gorgeous and all that but I don't think I could ever justify the cost (that's like $400 for the cocotte and $700 for the cow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Recommended IKEA products:

SNITSIG pot w/lid, ($20 for 9 qt). Not gorgeous, but in independent tests the best at transfering heat.

FAVORIT saucepan w/ lid ($30 for 2qt) Also test winner

TOKIG salad spinner - $3 for a functioning salad spinner? Are you making GBS threads me?

STIL tagine $60, works great for me.

FAVORIT frying pan, $40 for 11". A bit heavy but good at the price for a non-stick (teflon).

Just stay away from any of the kitchen kit that needs batteries, they're uniformly poo poo (scales, thermometers etc)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Kenning posted:

Hey, can anybody recommend me a good chinois?

Exoglass, but they're really expensive.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

VikingKitten posted:

I agree, Cuisinart sets of pots and pans are great value. One caveat: If you ever hope to live in a place with a gas range, get straight-sided (saute) pans - not the slope-sided skillets in the set linked above. I have a 15 year old Cuisinart set and a new gas range, and poo poo constantly burns on the sides of the skillets. I am too cheap to buy two new pans so I have to stir everything 2x as much. I wish I'd known that back when I was pan-shopping. :(

Slopesided makes tossing a lot easier, it also allows better access for spatulas etc - what kind of gas boiler do you have that heats the extreme outsides of your pan, anyway?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
maybe you should move the pan to one of the smaller burners?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Are there anyone who would like to recommend this.. because I really really want it..

(yes - that is a $383 pasta pot.. But it is so shiny!)

If it's not the $500 cow terrine, it's the $400 pasta pot. Happy Hat, what ARE we going to do with you?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

You'll spend more time polishing it than using it.

That's the case with all penis substitutes (and perhaps with all penises, too?).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Want to chime in on a cleaver..

Dick cleaver!

I have the same, it works great for getting rid of bible salesmen as well.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Junior G-man posted:

Do those still actually exist?

Four days ago, someone rang the doorbell and didn't say anything on the intercom thingie. I was expecting a package so I let them in. Two guys in somber suits, briefcases and very VERY well groomed hair. They started talking about "The Ancient Writings" and asking me where God was in my life. Told them three times that I wasn't interested in that conversation and then the young guy asked me if I was interested in buying some of their books "so I could learn more".

So I chopped them up with my F.DICK MEAT CLEAVER.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

feelz good man posted:

You could avoid all that hassle buy just nailing one of these to the wall. I got mine for about $10 at Fred Meyer/Kroger. The Chicago Cutlery one is the one I got, and while it's ugly as sin, the magnets are actually stronger than the NorPro wood grain one. I feel a lot safer using it than the NorPros.

I bought a wooden MAG-BLOK from benchcrafted.com and the magnets are almost too strong. Looks great and not that expensive (around $30).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
This is my new toy:

so happy!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Test Pattern posted:

Unless I'm seeing scale totally wrong that seems really, really low.

It is fairly low, but I'll extend the legs somehow. The block is the main thing.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
best part is price: 3 bottles of cheapish red wine.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Squish posted:

Got that egg some fat. Eggs love fat.

On a more serious and less memey note. There's about 62,159,295 different kinds of kitchenaid mixer, not including the various colours. For a nice, high quality gift (for my mother), which would do just about everything you'd want? I'm looking for some GWS expert advice on these things. Do any of them come with juicer attachments (not that it's a priority, at all)? And I noticed a few people talking about bread dough - if you made it very infrequently, is it a problem for the less balltearingly powerful models?

What I've heard is that at some point, Kitchen Aid went from metal gears to plastic gears (or was it something else that changed to plastic? I forget), weakening the machine at peak load - that is, when handling heavy, dense stuff such as bread dough.

I can't recommend the Assistent enough, it's rebranded and sold in the US as the Magic Mill DLX. http://www.everythingkitchens.com/dlxmixer.html or here; http://assistent.nu/us/default.aspx . There's a version that comes packaged with mincer w strainer and grater, pasta attachment, sausage filler component, meat grinder and plunger; Citrus press; Mixer in unbreakable plastic with 1.7-litre capacity, it's called the AKM6190.

It has the added bonus of looking cool.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Bobx66 posted:

Don't go with another brand. She wants a kitchenaid mixer.

I guess I missed that part.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

The relationship between wattage and torque is, I am sure, non-linear, but I would expect there to be SOME relationship between them. I can't find any data on that. I would probably use my mixer for bread, so I want to know that it has adequate grunt for kneading. Both KitchenAid and Kenwood have fantastic user reviews.

I replaced my 600wBraun with a 180w Bamix and there's no comparison. The Bamix feels so much more powerful (part of it is construction materials and rpms of course) and stable at high load.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

Thanks, all. My head says Kenwood, my heart says KitchenAid, my wallet says neither - at least for now.

I'd like to make a negative production recommendation: Joseph Joseph Chop 2 Pot cutting boards.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Chopping-Board-Green-Small/dp/B000GSLAWS

It's a good idea, but they don't sit flat - the handle part falls, making the board fold up on the edges even while resting on a counter. One has to prop it against something to ensure the board stays flat. It's a bad design.

Joseph Joseph products are, sadly, form over function. I really love the idea of the chop 2 pot boards, they also made a set of boards with tabs that looks great but lasts about a week. Shame.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Oxford Comma posted:

What is the advantage of All-Clad over cast iron? I've used both, and my $30 cast iron works just as well as my spendy All-Clad. Of course I can't throw the cast iron pan into the sink/dishwasher, but otherwise I can't find any difference?

Generally, cast iron is slower to heat up (and slower to cool down) than any other pan, so pulling it off the burner to reduce heat for a few while you add exotic ingredient X or to prevent your Y from boiling over or charring won't make a difference. Cast iron is (some times a lot) heavier, doesn't handle starchy and acidic stuff as well and can rust if you don't treat it well. It's also more fun.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
The way I see it, if you're registering, you should use it to ask for stuff that you want but might not feel you can justify the cost of yourself. And stuff that will last. Most of the equipment I've inherited from my parents were given to them at their wedding in 1972. It somehow makes the idea of buying (and wishing for) somewhat costly stuff more palatable.

I'll try and think some more, but here's what I'd add, off the top of my head:

Quality immersion blender
A quality cutting board/butcherblock (if you have room for it) a la the boardsmith or John Boos
Enameled cast iron dutch oven a la Le Creuset
a good crepe pan
Good storage vessels - tupperware sets or the like.
A slow cooker?
A tepid puddle rig?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Are people happy with the size of the Sous Vide Supreme demi? It's the only model I can find here.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mattdev posted:

On the topic of food processors, I'm in the market for a new one myself. I'm also in the market for a new blender because mine ate poo poo recently.

Should I kill two birds with one stone and get a vitamix/blendtec or should I get 2 different devices?

The Bamix Superbox is one of the best deals out there - superstrong immersion blender bundled with 4 different blender heads for pureeing, whipping, mincing, blending, whisking etc; mini mill for grinding spices, nuts etc and the "slicecy" (lovely name) that is a mini food processor and works really well. 10 year warranty, too.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

ahmeni posted:

I've recently been moved from stock guy to Kitchen section at the retail store I work at and I've been working my way through this thread over the last couple days to help me catch up on product knowledge. Unfortunately now I want everything. Apparently we used to stock Victorinox knives but no longer do. Price-wise it seems like Scanpan is filling in the equivalent price range. They're a Denmark company and they claim their stuff is made in Denmark, but it's a little tough to believe at the price range I see them at.

Has anyone had good experiences with any of Scanpan's lines? While I can't exactly disparage the home brand we sell, I'd like to be able to recommend theirs as a decent alternative for a little more money.

Their pots and pans are really good, but very expensive (in a you-get-what-you-pay-for kind of way). No experience with their knives.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
For anyone who's interested, KitchenAid are now distributing bowl-lift versions (called KitchenAid Heavy Duty) in the EU. Still prohibitively expensive, but at least now, you don't have to settle for the weakest of the weak weaksauce weakmachines in their lineup.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I want to buy my girlfriend a knife for christmas, she works as a cook so knows her poo poo, but doesn't own many knives. Im looking for something that is good quality but also looks nice/pretty. I know nothing about this kind of thing so was wondering if someone could give a suggestion as to which would be best. My budget is £50.

At £50, I'm afraid it might be a little tricky to find something that's good enough as a professional tool and looks nice, at least for larger blades. You might be able to find a MAC paring knife around that price - good knives but not that fancy looking.

The Masahiro mamacut is priced somewhere around there and is a really good knife for the price. Or the Masahiro paring knife (http://www.knives.co.uk/acatalog/Paring_Knife_MH-901.html) which is also good (but paring knife preferences are really really specific from cook to cook).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The Tojiro knives on that website look terrible.

I didn't say anything about the Tojiros?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Glockamole posted:

If I were looking for a recommendation for stemware, have I come to the right place? If I have, I was looking for a suggestion for red wine glasses for my girlfriend. Her only criterion aside from being true stemware is having a large capacity.

I enjoy my Spiegelau Authentis a lot. I can't see that series on the US website, but the Hybrid Burgyndy and the Vino Grande Burgundy are both quality and large (23-25 oz).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would ask the same thing about the serrated knife. How often are you really going to use it. Unlike the boning knife though, you can't sharpen serrated knives very well, so it, at best, is still a disposable knife with a useful lifetime. So I would go cheap here, too. Forschner makes one iirc. So does KAI. Either of those are probably fine.

Unless you mean one of those tiny, stupid knives they use to pad out their knifesets (tomato knives etc), a good, sturdy serrated knife is great to have. Not just for bread, but for chopping nuts and chocolate.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Do you dislike cutting vegetables particularly? Because instead of buying more stuff to clog your drawers and cabinets, I'd suggest investing in 20 pounds of root vegetables, a sharp knife and a few hours of practice. Maybe something like Pepin's Complete Technique, if you want a picture guide on how to do some of the cuts.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

angor posted:

2. I am deciding between getting a food processor or a stick blender or both. Again, it's only me, so I don't need something huge or anything. After doing some research, I came across this guy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bamix-Deluxe-Hand-Processor-Silver/dp/B001G5ZHWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372072738&sr=8-1&keywords=bamix

Would I ever come across something that this wouldn't be able to handle? I want to keep my budget for the mixer at or around £100 (all of my electrics have to be from the UK.)

The Bamix is really solid. If you can swing £150-180, the Bamix Superbox often comes up on sale, and that box includes a stand, 3 different sized beakers with lids, a spicemill, 4 different blades (aerator, blender, chopper, meat), their "Slicesy" processor and 6 blades for grating/slicing/chopping - S-shaped doublesided blade, large holed grater, mediu grater, fine grater, thick slicer, thin slicer.

It's more money, but the machine also comes with a 10 year warranty, so compared to spending $60 on a similar Bosch every 2-3 years it's a no-brainer.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

nwin posted:

Ok guys-immersion blenders. But here's the caveat. If anyone else can suggest something different, I'm all ears.

The only thing I used my old immersion blender for was soups, maybe 3-4 times. The main function was the mini food processor. I use it to make my pizza sauce. Throw 1-2 cloves garlic, chop, then add whole peeled tomatoes, salt, oregano, crushed red pepper, basil, splash of olive oil, blend it all up.

Sadly, the processor part is cracked and done for so it's in the trash.

Anyone recommend an immersion blender with a good attachment for processing/chopping? Or maybe some other tool? I have a food processor but it's a big 7 cup one I think. I also have a Ninja Blender with the single serve attachment so I've been thinking of just using that instead.

Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Seconding the Bamix. Best, most versatile.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

My parents just asked me for a coffee maker recommendation- they've been through 3 Mr Coffees since January (I don't know if it's the wiring in their house or if it's just cheap poo poo from China).

I'm not going to sell them on a Bodum or pour over or a nice espresso machine anytime soon, but they are buying coffee from a local roaster so it's not just for Maxwell House. Something under $100 would be ideal, with the main concern being quality of build.

For a classic drip machine, these are pretty good (at least the ones I've tried here in euroland): http://www.moccamaster.com/us/

But why not a Bodum french press? It's not like it's hugely intimidating to have to press a plunger after a few minutes. And if the issue is one of lovely electrics, well, they can just boil their water on the stove.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

This is also how vacuum pickling works.

So for, say, lightly pickled watermelon (w white sherry), just soak a bit, freeze, thaw, then vacuum?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
The lack of a 220v option plus the $75 shipping on the Anova clinched it for me.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

The wolf ranges we have at work are 30 years old and still working. That oven/range will probably never die.

Buying quality ranges really pays off in the long run. My parents bought their house and built the kitchen in 1977. The Voss oven died two years ago and the gas cooktop is coughing a bit now. My mom sent the company a (obviously joking) letter complaining about the short lifespan of the products, they wrote one back apologizing profusely. She'll have to replace the cooktop soon, which is a shame, but they don't stock the surface burners or the piezo igniters any longer.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I've got a little extra money and I'm seriously considering buying a stand mixer. I know I've been extolling the virtues of the Assistent, but it's been pissing me off lately for a number of reasons.

Is it worth it paying omfg almost twice as much for the 6.9 litre bowl lift version over the regular Artisan?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

deimos posted:

Take that for what it's worth.

Considering a brand new 6qt lift bowl Kitchen Aid can be had for $30 more at Costco (or a lot less at thrift stores) I don't know if I could go for the Breville.

That Breville isn't even available over here and there's no Costco to go to - and I've never seen a Kitchenaid for sale at a thrift store here.

The problem is that they're loving expensive, and the steps up really need to be steps up in quality, durability etc for it to be worth it

My choice as far as Kitchenaids go is the 7 qt bowl lift KMS7581 at $1250, the 7qt Heavy Duty KMS7591 at $1100 or the regular 5 qt tilt-head Artisan at around $650-700.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mediaphage posted:

Do they market the Kenwood mixers in your country? I dunno what local pricing would be like, but they'd be a fine alternative.

Yeah, that's a possible alternative. But - and it might seem a bit of a genderist cliche - it'll be a lot easier to convince the girlfriend to let me keep the machine on the counter if it's nicer to look at. So the bigger Kenwoods are out, they are way too modern-industrial looking (which isn't desirable) rather than retro-industrial (which is, apparently).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The MyWeigh KD8000 is a solid scale, and it's absolutely amazing if you measure in scaling (for bread, the way Modernist Cuisine notates recipes, etc).

I've never understood the scaling thing. If you're making a dish for 9 instead of 5, why not just multiply all ingredient amounts by 1.8 instead of going through the percentage thing? Am I missing something?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

froward posted:

wow there is definitely some great information in this thread, but can it please be edited and written into the OP? It's unreasonable to expect everyone to read 150 (one hundred and fifty) pages of discussion to learn the results of that discussion. :coolfish:

the GWS wiki would be a great place for working on this sort of thing, if it weren't dead (apparently).

I plan on buying a teak board on my next move (a month away). Will inform as to how terribly it goes.

The GWS wiki is still working. People just need to add articles. That's kind of sort of the point of a wiki.

As far as teak, I have a huge teak cutting board. I never use it. It dulls knives almost as fast as glass. But apparently this differs hugely from region to region, the silica content of the wood depends on the soil the tree grows in. So your teak board might be fine. I just hate dulling my knives, so right now the board is used as a giant coaster.

Dane fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

deimos posted:

For the record, these are the Tres Claveles that I replaced: http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/3claveles-scissors/3claveles-scissors-400.asp?product=tres-claveles-400 Except 30 years older.

Oh man, I love this site. The English is just wonderful. Right now I'm looking at "Profesional Beefcase" (knife kit briefcase), "kitchen axes" (cleavers), "kitchen coolware" (cookware).

• Locked thread